Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
I somehow doubt this is feasible. Unless I misunderstood something, that's hundreds of billions of dollars handed out each month?

Well we just pumped 1.5 trillion into the market and it helped stocks go up for like 15 minutes, so comparatively, this would be a huge boon to people like me and my wife, who has already been laid off from CoVID and was our family's primary earner.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
This is not a headline I expected to read today.

Well we just pumped 1.5 trillion into the market and it helped stocks go up for like 15 minutes, so comparatively, this would be a huge boon to people like me and my wife, who has already been laid off from CoVID and was our family's primary earner.

These are not the same things.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017

We didn't do that, the Fed did, and that money was already in the market.

This proposed legislation would have to come out of the federal budget, and would be paid by us taxpayers.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greg Mankiw (mainstream conservative/GOP economist) backing this alongside liberal economists.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
This pandemic might be doing more harm than good lol

(silverlinings and all that)

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
giphy.gif

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Republicans right now: "damn it's good for health AND the economy but it goes against our goals of making sure poor people suffer" :/

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Some members of the GOP are actually starting to act like human beings with empathy. Only took a viral outbreak to make it happen. Cool. Now help us get Medicare for All so that people don't have to fear a sickness putting them on the street.

Dec 6, 2018
Really seems like Mitt is trying to "right the course" of the GOP, doubt it will get him far outside a doomed to fail bid for president but may as well see how far he goes

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean.., yes Mitt Romney's heart and mind are in the right place with this proposal but it really does feel like these politicians are shooting from the hip and don't know where to aim.

They're totally disorganized and have no plan. A $1k per person stimulus is an okay first step but they also need to make interest free loans of higher amounts available to low income families right now. 1k can put groceries on the table for a few weeks but it can't help with emergency expenses.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
I mean.., yes Mitt Romney's heart and mind are in the right place with this proposal but it really does feel like these politicians are shooting from the hip and don't know where to aim.

They're totally disorganized and have no plan.

This is a proven stimulus method that has helped gas the economy in the past.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
$1,000 a month for every American is the right move IMO.

How can we afford this? Is like asking how can we afford to break our leg jumping out a car that is going off a cliff. You jump, take the damage, figure it out.

No one is coming out of this unscathed. Just accept it.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
I feel like if it wasn't for the religious aspect, Romney would have a (D) next to his name

not sure about that. The guy was flat our saying Iran had nukes and would use them when he ran for president, even when the CIA was publicly saying the opposite.

maybe his true nature is kinder. When running for president as a republican you have to turn into a racist, lowest common denominator asshole it seems.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

They're totally disorganized and have no plan.
No, this is the opposite of shooting from the hip. Economists have been recommending direct stimulus to the populace for a bit now. This is him listening to people like Greg Mankiw.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
Depending on how long people will be out of work, this will not be enough. Unemployment should be raised to either 75 or 100%.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
If we get that they would eliminate unemployment insurance or something like that. I'd rather just get an unemployment check.
Nah, that makes no sense. Unemployment is about 2x this amount per month, and if they give you this and reduce your unemployment by half then you really cant consider this a stimulus, kinda makes it pointless.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

Basically this. As long as we do it right I don't have any issue. But a big red flag on, for example, Yang's plan was that it would be a UBI that would eventually look to cut programs like SocSec, etc. instead of supplementing them

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Basically this. As long as we do it right I don't have any issue. But a big red flag on, for example, Yang's plan was that it would be a UBI that would eventually look to cut programs like SocSec, etc. instead of supplementing them

Wasn't eventually. To take the UBI you had to forgo all other assistance programs.

supra

Oct 30, 2017
Suspend mortgage, rent, and student loan payments while we're at it.

Not at all a good thing that the GOP is filling the black hole where progressive economic policy should be in the democratic party.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017

If they made it a non-taxable item, would that work or no?

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't UBI any more than GWB's stimulus checks were UBI. Likewise, it isn't even a radical idea -- even among Republicans

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't complain if they sent a 1 thousand dollar check out to everyone, but no way would the Trump led Senate pass such a bill. I will say we could use it. We're behind on a couple of bills.

With Trumps absurd vanity I bet he will be very enthusiastic about this just so he can plaster his face and signature on the check because that's the closest he'll get to having his face immortalized like other presidents on money right now.