• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
IGN

View: https://youtu.be/NUBeKDSShj0?si=5Gyl7XjsWdHy-4dU

Gamespot

View: https://youtu.be/SkILE5tWx7c?si=uJKL0slPT4AvrVzq

Jeux Video - French

View: https://youtu.be/ys6z9FN8wec?si=3qcpfo-sGsfdV_39

Polygon
The playable results of this fully mo-capped fighting system are quite unique. Combat in Hellblade 2 is one on one only, slow-paced, and very brutal. In the fight scenes of the demo I played — which also featured pattern-spotting puzzles and some atmospheric, grueling traversal — there's a heightened sense of threat as Senua faces hulking and aggressive opponents, and the characters loom large in the unusually tight camera angles. This might not be the over-the-top combat of DmC: Devil May Cry, but it's still very effective
Gamesradar
Whether Senua is slowly exploring oppressively atmospheric environments or weaving her way through heavy one-on-one combat encounters, Ninja Theory has pushed to make movement natural and responsive. It contributes to this sense of realism that is pervasive throughout Hellblade 2 – blurring the separation between you, sitting on a couch controlling Senua with a controller, and the dangerous, disorienting world she inhabits.

Last edited:

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Little bit of news from the Polygon article:

On my visit, there was no sign or mention of Ninja Theory's flamboyant founder and Hellblade writer-director Tameem Antoniades. An Xbox spokesperson later confirmed to Polygon that he is no longer with the studio.

Which is not a surprise.

Jqydon

Apr 25, 2023
This has been one of my most anticipated games for a while so hearing this is great news. I kinda knew as someone that loved Hellblade 1 and wasn't bothered by some of its issues that it would be a sure fire hit with me though.

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
Sold my series X last year, but knew I would regret it when this came out. The first one was my goty in 2017. I'll have to wait until I have a decent PC or it comes out on PS5.

Jqydon

Apr 25, 2023
Sold my series X last year, but knew I would regret it when this came out. The first one was my goty in 2017. I'll have to wait until I have a decent PC or it comes out on PS5.
Honestly if there's one game Xbox strategically shouldn't put on PS5 it's this one and I don't think they will. Sony offers plenty of games in the genre so it's good than Xbox has one for a change.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Are there any good quality videos? Gamespot and IGN are completely ruining it with that super blurry 1080p

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Just get a month of GamePass and stream it via xCloud. Should be perfectly fine for this type of narrative game.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Previews are definitely confirming what I imagined. Said it in the other thread. Should be a great time despite some shortcomings.

Do you have more information on this?

Not really, it's just that as per his Instagram, for the last year or so he was on the other side of the world partying most of the time, so it was obvious he was a lot less involved with the studio now.

Which makes sense, after the sale he became a millionnaire and changed the way he lived. Nothing wrong with that, who wouldn't lol. I'm just glad we got a confirmation, as I had trouble imagining how he could lead the game that way.

Honestly if there's one game Xbox strategically shouldn't put on PS5 it's this one and I don't think they will. Sony offers plenty of games in the genre so it's good than Xbox has one for a change.

Or you can think of it the opposite way: this is the type of game PlayStation players love, so it makes sense to port it for more sales. 😅

Ganepark32

Nov 21, 2021
My most anticipated game of the year. Loved the original and this just continues to look incredible. The combat really does look so heavy and visceral.

Very curious how it'll run/look on Series S as that's likely where I'll be playing it (unless I upgrade to the X before then). Hopefully it still manages to look great, I do trust Ninja Theory in that one.

May 21st can't come soon enough.

PhillyPaw

Banned
Apr 11, 2021

Would be a bad move on their part. They're not gonna stop porting games to the PS5 and not porting the bigger games which would make the most return is backwards in strategy considering HB2 is not gonna move Hardware for Xbox.

With it being an ~8 hour game, it'll likely drop next year at $30-40 on PSN.

JT_77

Mar 15, 2021
Not watching previews but reading the combat hits hard is exactly what I wanted to hear. You just know they'll absolutely nail the story, sound design and atmosphere.

Suntzupp

Mar 26, 2022
Looks great and very atmospheric. Haven't played the first one. Is this a direct continuation of it?

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Wow I didn't expect Tameem to leave NT, that's quite wild news.

Sabre

Jul 2, 2018
Looks and sounds hype as hell! Those combat animations are on another level.

Hummus

Jan 26, 2018
I believe that reviewers wont be kind with the seemingly dated puzzle-designs. i thought the game flow was a bit lackluster back in hellblade 1 days, so I'll wonder if they updated it enough. expectations have been high throughout media and the xbox fanbase, so lets see.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I thought the first was a legit bad game. Not just for my preferences, I just couldnt believe how mechanically lacking it was.

I am very curious to see if they have addressed this in the sequel, or even consider this a problem.

Gamepass makes it an easy play at least.

Last edited:

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Interested to see the combat but for fucks sakes

Outside of combat, puzzles will also be largely familiar to any who played Senua's Sacrifice. As I tried to leave the battle-torn village, I was met with a swirling vortex of bones and limbs emitting an unwelcoming red light. In order to remove this barrier I'd need to find three runic shapes in the world, which required a reasonable level of exploration and lateral thinking. They were by no means overly challenging, but something I couldn't help but feel I'd done a few too many times already in the original. I hope these challenges develop in complexity as the adventure moves on.

I hate these puzzles and it's irritating to see them back

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not really, it's just that as per his Instagram, for the last year or so he was on the other side of the world partying most of the time, so it was obvious he was a lot less involved with the studio now.

Which makes sense, after the sale he became a millionnaire and changed the way he lived. Nothing wrong with that, who wouldn't lol. I'm just glad we got a confirmation, as I had trouble imagining how he could lead the game that way.
Are you expecting people to just keep tabs and deduce the lives of others' online accounts?

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
Previews are definitely confirming what I imagined. Said it in the other thread. Should be a great time despite some shortcomings.

I remember there was a GQ article a while back where he was grumbling about the burden of being a millionaire now.

Just speculating - but if he's been one foot in, one foot out for a while, I wonder if it's caused a bit of a headache for the team?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Looks fantastic.

IGN calls the gameplay more of a refinement than a reinvention though, hope it still ends up meshing well.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Are you expecting people to just keep tabs and deduce the lives of others' online accounts?

Not sure I understand what you're talking about. ?

I remember there was a GQ article a while back where he was grumbling about the burden of being a millionaire now.

Just speculating - but if he's been one foot in, one foot out for a while, I wonder if it's caused a bit of a headache for the team?

I doubt it, the foundations were probably already laid for the game years ago. The last year specifically was probably all polishing. They were already playing the full game back in fall last years.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
first game was nice, very well done and tight enough, I wish we had more games like this tbh

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
From those previews sounds like upgraded visuals and maybe changed combat a bit but with stupid puzzles that are same as in first game I am not that enthusiastic. On top of that previews can't say if game is repetitive or not and that was also big issue first game had.

RubberStamp

Oct 27, 2017
I've only watched the gamespot preview and that's exceptionally glowing. I'm gonna stop reading more about this because I dont want to get spoiled, but it being similar to the first game but everything refined is basically what I wanted. Can't wait for release.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
As someone that never got around to playing the first game (despite owning it on multiple platforms, lol), this is one of the best-looking, if not the best-looking game, thus far. Wowza. But the gameplay snippets shown of the combat, not sure what to think of it. It seems to animate really well and it also seems slow and heavy/chunky, but also very repetitive, like the same type of attacks/dodges continue for too long. Is there more to the combat (based on the first game), or is this simply something to get used to/accept?

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Despite how short the overall length is I've tried to finish the 1st one multiple times but got bored of how repetitive it was .

I'm hoping by everything is a big step up and alot more varied , I loved the world and backstory etc , I just hated the repetitive gameplay.

Level 7 Boss

Jun 19, 2018
Disappointed that the puzzles haven't been reworked as they are legitimately bad. Not to take away from the Devs, and appreciate that there have been extenuating circumstances (COVID, hybrid working, transitioning into becoming a first party studio etc) but this seems like a very long dev cycle for a "refinement" to write IGN.

Very much looking forward to this but can't help but think the reviews won't be particularly kind.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the puzzles were really tedious last time. It killed any chance I had at enjoying the gameplay loop.

I'm not going to condemn this game just yet, but I'd have been much happier to hear they weren't returning.

Edit: I watched the Gamespot preview - less concerned. I'm guessing there's a fair bit more variety here than last time

Last edited:

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
A refinement on the original is what I was expecting and looking forward to. I really can't wait for this.

I would be up for an expanded and more action orientated game based on this character and world, if they were to move forward with Senua, but for now, more of the same is fine with me. Visually it looks remarkable.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
A refinement on the original is what I was expecting and looking forward to. I really can't wait for this.

I would be up for an expanded and more action orientated game based on this character and world, if they were to move forward with Senua, but for now, more of the same is fine with me. Visually it looks remarkable.

I would agree that more of the same is fine if game wasn't in development longer than some other bigger games.