Oct 27, 2017
30fps only.

From Gamepro Germany:

"But the beauty also has its price: Hellblade 2 only runs at 30 fps and dynamic resolution on both Xbox Series S and Series X. There are no graphics modes; the frame rate can only be increased on the PC. The VFX director explains this in an interview with GamePro by saying that the experience should feel more "cinematic" - similar to movies that run at 24 frames per second."

My interest just died a painful death.

OP
OP
Super

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
30fps only.

From Gamepro Germany:

"But the beauty also has its price: Hellblade 2 only runs at 30 fps and dynamic resolution on both Xbox Series S and Series X. There are no graphics modes; the frame rate can only be increased on the PC. The VFX director explains this in an interview with GamePro by saying that the experience should feel more "cinematic" - similar to movies that run at 24 frames per second."

Yeah I expected 30 FPS on console really.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
30fps only.

From Gamepro Germany:

I know people hate the "cinematic" excuse, but I kind of get it here. These games feel a lot more like a somewhat interactive immersive filmic kind of experience to me in a way most games don't, and I'll be okay with 30 fps. I doubt I ever played the original at higher than that.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
With that letterbox display Ninja Theory bringing nostalgia for the PAL 50Hz days.

They should have the game run at 25fps to complete the effect.

reksveks

May 17, 2022
The atmosphere is oppressive, not least because the camera always stays close to Senua. In between, I hear a woman trying to keep her crying baby quiet so as not to be discovered. It sounds so real that I search for her for a moment – I can hear her whispering voice coming from! Only then do I realize that it seems to have been one of Senua's hallucinations.

The realization sends a small shiver down my spine, because I realize that I myself can't quite distinguish between reality and Senua's world. As in the first part, headphones are a must for the best experience. The invisible Furies whisper to me from all sides, sometimes giving more, sometimes less helpful comments.

Also from the Gamepro article

www.gamepro.de

Senua’s Saga: Hellblade 2 angespielt - ein Atmosphäre-Monster, das schon nach wenigen Spielminuten seinen Vorgänger übertrifft

Mit Hellblade 2 bekommt Senuas Story eine Fortsetzung, die das wichtigste Xbox-Exclusive 2024 werden könnte. Wir haben reingespielt und sind bisher begeistert.

Dust

C H A O S
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you liked the first one you will like this one. Seems the structure is the same.

Roarschach

Dec 18, 2018
Can't wait in to soak in the environments and atmosphere.

The ending to the first one still sends chills and is one of the best I've played.

reksveks

May 17, 2022
I understand that but in this case new game would be better choice than sequel.

Not sure personally (in terms of creative goals) if that's true. Smaller teams should be able to stay small and spend time on existing ip if they want to.

Business wise, it might make more sense for it to be a new IP.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Looks incredibly impressive from a visual standpoint but the actual gameplay leaves a lot to be desired. Hearing those puzzles have returned is a bummer and the whole slowly walking through beautiful environments looks like it could get old fast. Curious about the combat as it does look good but I also can't get much of a feel for what's going on in those gameplay snippets.

Folie

Dec 16, 2017
Francophone era - is 'c'est la gifle' essentially 'it slaps'? I know gifle is slap so just wondering about usage (asking because of one of OP's video thumbnails)

Bansi

Banned
Jul 28, 2023
Youtube compression really does a number on this game's visuals. Games with either fast motion or dark scenes suffer. I remember watching videos of Doom 2016 on release and wondering why people were praising its visuals. Recently I played it. The game is stunning, and videos don't do it justice. I think Hellblade 2 will also be the same.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
Graphics looks stunning. Didnt finish the first as I got bored but I'll def run through this one. Looks like they stepped everything up and the game is short. Its the best looking game Ive seen since Alan Wake 2.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has experienced psychosis first hand its not my kind of game, but I hope its still trying to be authentic and meaningful rather than using that kind of suffering to have fun surreal scenes more for entertainment. Its hard to know who involved has that kind of experience.

Plum

May 31, 2018
The 'this game will be 30fps' thread is going to dominate the conversation until launch, then. I get that 60fps is preferable but the '60fps or death' stuff is just tiring.

Then again this is a weird game to 'preview' because, like the first, it's one that'll likely work the best when you're actively playing it - with headphones on and the lights off - instead of simply watching a video. I'll be sure to do so when it releases, but I'm not going to really engage with much pre-release stuff outside of checking the OC score when that comes out.

Ananasas

Jul 11, 2018
The first one had an okay, barely passable gameplay, so from what I am reading it will be the same

penny toast

Banned
Feb 20, 2024
This game will never not feel like a fever dream.

Cannot imagine pouring millions upon millions into what amounts to a linear movie attempting to solve "the gameplay problem". Visually great (like a tech demo!), but embarrassing to be that mechanically ancient as a deep-pockets project.

Raigor

May 14, 2020

Cannot imagine pouring millions upon millions into what amounts to a linear movie attempting to solve "the gameplay problem". Visually great (like a tech demo!), but embarrassing to be that mechanically ancient as a deep-pockets project.

Millions and millions? I'd be surprised if Hellblade 2 costs even $50 million to make.

It's a <10 hours linear game made by a relatively small team at Ninja Theory.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Will be worth a month of GamePass!

…although I wonder if this will come to PS5 eventually?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The first one had an okay, barely passable gameplay, so from what I am reading it will be the same
Yeah, the past year of realizing what this game was for sure going to be was a pretty harsh reality check. I was very much under the impression that the massive wait for this was because they were substantially expanding the scale and systems. Pretty disappointed, tbh

NippleViking

May 2, 2018

This post is embarrassing. Like I'm not awed by Hellblade 2 either - it's far from re-inventing the wheel - it'll never not be strange to me that MS have put their weight and dollars behind a sequel to a niche indie game centred on schizophrenia. Though the first game had enough interesting ideas, conceits, and setting to more than justify its existence, and was a super memorable and inspired experience. This sequel looks to be iterating on that.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
Francophone era - is 'c'est la gifle' essentially 'it slaps'? I know gifle is slap so just wondering about usage (asking because of one of OP's video thumbnails)
In that context, yes, pretty much. It could be negative or positive but here I suppose it's positive (I haven't watched the video though).

Either way it's a pretty strong statement though, stronger than "it slaps" I think.

Plum

May 31, 2018

Why is it so hard to imagine that one studio out of many hundreds might want to do things with the medium that differ from what you want from it?

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017

I'll take it over the "innovative" GaaS or open world games that AAA industry tends to release these days

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Love hearing that it's similar to the original and that it's going to be a more gorgeous continuation of the series for the sequel. I never wanted the game to be restructured to fit into a box that so that people who wanted something different from the first game could have their wishes fulfilled in the second game. Give me more Hellblade.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023

you do know it's made by 80 people, right? there's not "millions upon millions". get over yourself

penny toast

Banned
Feb 20, 2024
Why is it so hard to imagine that one studio out of many hundreds might want to do things with the medium that differ from what you want from it?
Yeah sure i'll die on the hill of wanting more than ancient, linear gameplay from a game attempting to have gameplay (along with a development timeline + budget that would facilitate having gameplay).

Studios can do different things, but expectations are obviously going to scale with resources spent.

Karl Havoc

Dec 10, 2019
As someone who has experienced psychosis first hand its not my kind of game, but I hope its still trying to be authentic and meaningful rather than using that kind of suffering to have fun surreal scenes more for entertainment. Its hard to know who involved has that kind of experience.

The first game took the task pretty seriously and did a lot of consultation with people who experience psychosis. Here's an interesting paper which discusses it in the broader context of mental health depictions in games.

They also did a series of dev diaries for the first game, and this video in particular shows some of the consultation.

Lots of valid critiques to be made but it certainly is not done flippantly.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
The 30fps debate needs a bit of nuance I think, I find it really depends on how the camera is used and controlled. By looking at this game it seems quite restrictive, and so I don't believe that 30 will be an obstacle here like it would be in something like FFXVI, a character action game.

I don't really see any issues with the technical decisions they're making, wrt framerate and aspect ratio, even if you might disagree with the style I don't see think they will hurt the game experience here.

Not sure it's for me though, I couldn't get on with Hellblade 1.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Yeah sure i'll die on the hill of wanting more than ancient, linear gameplay from a game attempting to have gameplay (along with a development timeline + budget that would facilitate having gameplay).

Studios can do different things, but expectations are obviously going to scale with resources spent.
More budget = more gameplay is such a completely 'wrong' way to look at game development. That's simply not how things work at all.

If you don't want this game, just don't buy it. No need to try and claim that the developers were somehow ignoring some vast hoard of resources that they could've used to "make more gameplay." They simply... didn't want to make yet another Soulslike or whatever. It wasn't their vision to do so, and that's fine.

Last edited:

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Hope the story delivers and the pattern puzzles aren't too intrusive. Could have something pretty special here. I genuinely don't care about the 30fps thing.

you do know it's made by 80 people, right? there's not "millions upon millions". get over yourself

Are you under the impression this game's budget isn't millions upon millions or something? Those 80 people + outsourcing devs need to get paid. Why so hostile?

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
People who liked the first game: wow, this looks like a faithful continuation of the first game, I'm excited to play it!

People who didn't like the first game: what the hell is this?

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
Are you under the impression this game's budget isn't millions upon millions or something? Those 80 people + outsourcing devs need to get paid. Why so hostile?
millions upon millions makes me think AAA budget (>100 million), which i doubt it's what this game costed. i'm not hostile, i'm giving an answer that kind of post should get.