• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do Europeans really never clap and cheer at the movies... not even on opening night?

Not even during Infinity War when Thor showed up in Wakanda with the hammer?

I know that they WILL clap for certain things. When my Aeroflot flight landed in Berlin, some of German and Russian passengers on the plane clapped.

ethranes

A King's Landing
Oct 27, 2017
As mad as it may sound to you, no, we simply do not clap when we're watching a film

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Sometimes people will clap in a UK cinema when the BBFC card comes up with the title of the movie. That's about it.

Fxp

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, some plane passengers clap when plane lands during bad weather conditions. I think it's pretty ridiculous. Clapping in movie theaters happens rarely.

MrChom

Oct 26, 2017
You clap for live performances (sporting, musical, or theatrical), appearances, or speeches.....that's really about it in the UK.

Oh, oh, and the sarcastic slow clap...

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
what i understand from what europeans have told me is that they can be a bit cold. i mean think about everytime they say they're so surprised at how nice and outgoing americans are.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
You clapping during a movie is like me clapping while you're trying to get it up.

Stop taking me out of the moment and get the fuck out.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I'm from Canada (Ontario), and I've never seen people clapping in a movie theater during scenes, with the exception of some midnight screenings of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Currently living in Japan, and I also haven't seen anyone do this, ever.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't we have this exact thread before with the exact same Infinity War example?
But no, I've never heard of anyone clapping at a cinema in Germany. I would think anyone who does is weird.

Oct 27, 2017
Why would you clap at a movie? Does the film reel appreciate it? Generally speaking when I go to the cinema I want to enjoy the film and not listen to other people at all.

EDIT - from the UK.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
what i understand from what europeans have told me is that they can be a bit cold. i mean think about everytime they say they're so surprised at how nice and outgoing americans are.

We still clap for live performances, where the artists/performers whatever are actually there for the appreciation. I don't see why anyone would clap for a movie, or how that makes anyone "colder".

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Nah. I waited until I was out of the screening to clap directly at the person working in the ticket booth. They deserved a standing ovation for selling admission to such an exceptional film.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The only time people clapped at the movies, was for episode 7.

It was dead silent and then when the star wars logo appeared with the music everyone cheered and clapped.

That was legit the only time I've experienced it.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No, we understood a long time ago that the people in the movie can't hear us.

giphy.gif

pauljeremiah

Oct 28, 2017
Ireland
Rarely ever happens at Irish cinemas, the last time I heard someone clap was at Infinity War when the IFCO card came up and someone shouted "shut the fuck up" and they stopped, fully by someone behind me saying "fucking Americans"

My local cinema is next to the University Of Limerick which has a large US student base.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
We still clap for live performances, where the artists/performers whatever are actually there for the appreciation. I don't see why anyone would clap for a movie, or how that makes anyone "colder".
This. Why clap if whomever you are trying to show appreciation doesn't hear your applause.

During one of our many US vacations, we went to see "Into the Woods" (a musical film) and people clapping after each song was so surreal. But also kind of amazing.

The only time people clapped at the movies, was for episode 7.

It was dead silent and then when the star wars logo appeared with the music everyone cheered and clapped.

That was legit the only time I've experienced it.

also, this.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
I live in the UK.. despite the number of people making fun of it, I've seen it done here several times

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017
Rarely ever happens at Irish cinemas, the last time I heard someone clap was at Infinity War when the IFCO card came up and someone shouted "shut the fuck up" and they stopped, fully by someone behind me saying "fucking Americans"

My local cinema is next to the University Of Limerick which has a large US student base.

Lmao. This just made my day. Thank you.

Those people are my heroes.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like how OP asks the question as if Americans aren't the weirdos in this situation.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
[QUOTE="pauljeremiah, post: 18140270, member: 19852"IFCO card .[/QUOTE]

what is this?

Oct 25, 2017
Usually no, but I went to watch Dragon Ball Super: Broly the other month and at the end of that movie people clapped. Me and my friends were shook. Never watching a weeb movie in the cinema again after that.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Why on earth would I clap at a screen?!

Live performances of bloody course - but to a projection....? Doesn't make sense.

Slightly related but when flying to Poland (Krakow if it matters) years ago to see my girlfriends parents the people on the plane applauded when we landed. I found this extremely strange too.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes people will clap in a UK cinema when the BBFC card comes up with the title of the movie. That's about it.

UK people are slowly losing the plot as well. It never used to be such a thing, but slowly, clapping is coming about. Most be them Americans in the audience trying to influence the public!

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
I've only seen it once at a film festival. It was Requiem for a Dream. I don't think any of the cast or the director was present so it just came off as weird.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Anybody clapping or cheering at a cinema in the UK would be the recipient of the most withering stares and harshest tuts imaginable.

We wouldn't actually directly complain or anything, far too polite for that, but everyone else watching the film would understand the person clapping / cheering to be a nob of the highest order.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
The only time I've had people clapping in the movie theatre here in Europe was out of excitement. So during the title card for The Force Awakens and during some hype ass moments in Dragon Ball Super: Broly.

This is not the same as clapping out of appreciation for a live performance or something

Mar 29, 2018
We clap if it's a special event or an especially dumb B-movie. In my experience.

Like if you go to like a special screening of The Room or a B-movie/horror marathon, everyone will be laughing and clapping.

My one mainstream release experience of clapping was during the screening of Snakes on a Plane I attended, everyone was waiting for the show to start, quiet as normal, then these two dudes in Hawaiian get-up walked in down the front and yelled "Snakes on a muthafuckin' plane!!!" at the audience with metal hands and everyone cheered and yelled it back. The entirety of that showing was clapping and raucous laughter.

Almost never have I seen or heard actual sincere clapping after a regular movie showing.

Holy shit, is this real or it was a joke?
Think he's probably introducing someone. Like a more dry way of saying "a round of applause for..."

Sorry to future quote, but okay, shit he actually does ask

Last edited:

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Do Americans clap at the end of every film (like The Favorite or something), or does this only affect nerdy movies? I can see the point of view about going to the movies as an event, but only with stuff like Star Wars and such.