thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Here in Indiana it looks like a rich dark red across most of the northern sky. Kinda Kool-Aid colored.

Definitely much more dramatic looking in photos.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Steamed Hams memes aside, how bad is the situation? Is there an actual danger of a geomagnetic storm frying communications and causing blackouts in the next few hours?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't think much of it, these things never get this far south. But damned if there isn't a reddish haze in the sky to the north. In central Texas, of all places.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
How long is the aurora supposed to be visible, generally? Like, is it worth me going back out in a couple of hours in hopes the clouds have cleared? Or is it something that only lasts an hour or so?

Rawky

Oct 26, 2017
Partly cloudy weather in Northern Illinois, but still visible. It's really neat. Really hoping my a6000 charges in time to get a shot, but I was able to catch it with my phone camera all the same.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
How long is the aurora supposed to be visible, generally? Like, is it worth me going back out in a couple of hours in hopes the clouds have cleared? Or is it something that only lasts an hour or so?
Yeah, I'd like to know this too. I could get my tripod out and go set up in a field somewhere instead of just pointing my phone north from my yard, with all the other houses and lights around.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
It's clear in Cincinnati but all I'm getting is a very slight pink that I'm not even sure isn't my brain making it up.

LetsEatSnacks

Oct 18, 2020
United States
Some tips from someone who's seen them in the past:

- Getting away from city light pollution is so imperative to your experience. I can't stress enough just how far you have to go to really see the dancing effect you see on film.

- It takes awhile for your eyes to adjust but start filming on your phone camera and you will see it so much more apparent.

- This is going to be a wild night so plan to spend some time out there and wait while you see it come and go. The last time I saw them, it seemed faint for about an hour and then boom, tons of movement and some really bizarre lightning like pulsating directly above me. It genuinely felt like some sort of alien force the way it was pulsing ( getting chills just thinking about it).

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what I'm reading there lol at what altitude?

Thats fantastic, my flight leaves at 1 tomorrow 🙄

This might be useful.

Wikiwand - Flight-time equivalent dose

Flight-time equivalent dose (FED) is an informal unit of measurement of ionizing radiation exposure. Expressed in units of flight-time, one unit of flight-time is approximately equivalent to the radiological dose received during the same unit of time spent in an airliner at cruising altitude...

LetsEatSnacks

Oct 18, 2020
United States
Yeah, I'd like to know this too. I could get my tripod out and go set up in a field somewhere instead of just pointing my phone north from my yard, with all the other houses and lights around.
It's going to be going for awhile but it depends where you are. Keep an eye out here to see what the current conditions are ( look for the kp index number and the Aurora oval forecast):

Space Weather

Foolhardy

May 4, 2024
Can confirm it's visible in northern Louisiana. Best if you can see the horizon though. Too many trees here.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
jKDMSYj.jpeg
Go outside now.

This is in Massachusetts. I took it handheld with my iPhone 15.

And I can see it with my naked eyes.

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
My town has too much light pollution for the eye, but cameras are picking up a bunch of pink, green and purple. It's gorgeous.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
My neighbors turned their security lights on (probably because people are walking around outside) and now I can't see shit.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Sky looks a little weird now, like the inverse of light pollution. Still cloudy and will give another 15 minutes before bed.

Sir Wiart

Mar 11, 2024
Canada
Alerts from Space Weather Prediction Center: confirmed proton event re radiation bio risk have occurred:

Space Weather Message Code: ALTPC0
Serial Number: 49
Issue Time: 2024 May 11 0227 UTC

ALERT: Proton Event 100MeV Integral Flux exceeded 1pfu
Begin Time: 2024 May 11 0210 UTC

NOAA Space Weather Scale descriptions can be found at
www.swpc.noaa.gov/noaa-scales-explanation

Potential Impacts: An enhancement in the energetic portion of the solar radiation spectrum may indicate increased biological risk to astronauts or passengers and crew in high latitude, high altitude flights. Additionally, energetic particles may represent an increased risk to all satellite systems susceptible to single event effects. This information should be used in conjunction with the current Solar Radiation Storm conditions when assessing overall impact.

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
This might be useful.

Wikiwand - Flight-time equivalent dose

Flight-time equivalent dose (FED) is an informal unit of measurement of ionizing radiation exposure. Expressed in units of flight-time, one unit of flight-time is approximately equivalent to the radiological dose received during the same unit of time spent in an airliner at cruising altitude...
That eases my mind a bit. I guess I've just never seen that kind of warning and got a bit freaked haha

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Rockport reporting in - just walked the dogs.
It's faint but I definitely see banding and faint color. I'm going to try to get away from the light pollution in an hour or two and see if I can see more.
I'm in Reading with some heavy light pollution but I saw the Northern Lights vividly from this same spot 40 years ago by chance. Hoping for the same.

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
IMG_7934.png
Friend's mom was able to get this, no where near as crazy by eye

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can't see anything where I am in PA because of the clouds. However, the sky looks different (like you can see the tint behind the cloud cover but can't actually see it). Oh well.