Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I'm going to bed. FOMO is real, and I still can't believe it was actually visible this far south last night. I went to bed with people saying as far south as Alabama. I'm several hundred miles south of that line.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Next chance won't be until tomorrow, sitting at a G2 right now but should get back up to a G5 tomorrow (same as yesterday). Timing is only question right now.

ArtemisLunar

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
The Fallen
Jun 13, 2018
Apparently the forecast for Vancouver will be 70%+ chance, but right now My Aurora app is reporting a decreased chance of 2%, lol.
Still thinking on going outside and watch the sky for the while, but I'm tired from yesterday.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm so bad at interpreting patterns on charts, what's the forecast like here for Chicago? I missed it last night but I'm dying to catch a glimpse tonight, just don't want to be going outside every twenty minutes until 5 am to try.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
For a brief five minutes, I got to see them! Green and everything! Went back inside to grab my brother, and now they are gone :( If the cat wakes me up in four hours like her norm, I'll head back out and try again.

ArtemisLunar

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
The Fallen
Jun 13, 2018
Sorry for double posting, but for the Seattle and Vancouver folks, apparently the peak will be more later that usual, being 2 AM up to 5 AM to see anything.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

10sec shutter on iPhone12 in Fryslan Netherlands

Intensity seems to have decreased for now.
Nice shot. Yeah, doesn't seem to have really reached Belgium last night. I saw some scattered pics of a few dim pillars here and there, but nothing really impressive.

At least I caught them on camera the night before. That's four years in a row, my streak remains unbroken, lmao.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
image.png

I was able to get a shot last night! I probably should have looked up how to photograph the sky in low light or something, because i had to YOLO it. Image came out super noisy, but i'm glad to have something.

It was gorgeous.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
It didn't look like much last night in Iowa, but when I took a picture it looked a lot more visible.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Kp index seems to have increased (6.3 atm) and I have perfectly clear skies but alas, seems I'm too far south even in the Nordics.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Tried the last 2 nights in michigan and got nothing. Didn't realize tonight was possible, almost wanna go out again but feel like I'll be disappointed yet again. Pretty sure it's not visible from the light pollution, but I don't know the required conditions for it to be visible, even just through a phone camera.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Even though the latest isn't in position to make a geomagnetic storm, the large sunspot is still very energetic, releasing a class X8.7 flare (largest so far). As it rotates, there is always a chance another will be in position to hit the earth correctly for another lightshow.

As for this latest flare, it basically is wiping out HF frequencies right now and not much else, so only the amateur radio folks are having a bad day.