shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Might have been answered already but is HDR disabled or something? The option's grayed out. I'm on a KS8000.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So I messed up.. and Agro got SWATTED!

LTFOJUb.gif

Wander: "AAAGROOO!!!"
Agro: "Coming!"
Phalanx: "Nope!"

BeastJesus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The biggest flaw of this remake for me is the fact that beating the colossi on hard mode doesn't unlock images you need to beat them on easy and normal for. Terrible idea. Why would I want to play on easy or normal after starting on hard?

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
The biggest flaw of this remake for me is the fact that beating the colossi on hard mode doesn't unlock images you need to beat them on easy and normal for. Terrible idea. Why would I want to play on easy or normal after starting on hard?
Well to get all the items you'll need to do hard and normal time attack and to get all trophies you'll have to play through the game a few times to get enough stamina. But I do agree - some unlocks, especially those in the gallery should unlock those below your difficulty as well. I don't know if I'll ever play the game on Easy, I don't even see the point. Normal and Hard are perfect experiences - what does Easy even do? Remove weak points? Lower colossi Health? Yeah no.

Edit: Apologies for the DP, I was writing this reply and was going to edit my above post and paste this into it. My bad!

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On second thought fuck the 16th colossus.

I can't climb onto his other arm after I stab him because wanderer just jumps around like a dummy but doesn't give me the option to make the leap to his other arm. I'm actually super frustrated at this game right now and it's ruining it

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
On second thought fuck the 16th colossus.

I can't climb onto his other arm after I stab him because wanderer just jumps around like a dummy but doesn't give me the option to make the leap to his other arm. I'm actually super frustrated at this game right now and it's ruining it
Push the analogue stick in the other direction while holding X. Watch if he's crouching like he's readying to leap up or if he's got his arm stretched out ready to jump across to the arm.

It is a bit fiddly and has always annoyed me but the whole jump while holding on mechanic is used so infrequently that I remember forgetting I could even do that when I first played the game all those years ago.

My main tip, don't let go of R2 and just hold jump and move the analogue stick around until you see him stretching his arm out, readying himself to jump across to the sixteenth's big gangly hand.

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
Holding TRIANGLE then left analog DOWN always makes the hand-jumps successfully for me.

Charge the jump then hold down, not the direction toward the hand.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Radiant might be my favorite filter. I love the sunset look it gives everything. Night would be my favorite if it weren't for the fact that it makes indoor areas unplayable.

Agreed. I first realized this with the 4th Colossus as the meadow looked great but the tunnel was unplayable.

A torch would have been a welcome addition by Bluepoint but I can't complain. My best outdoor shots are using the night filter.

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. I first realized this with the 4th Colossus as the meadow looked great but the tunnel was unplayable.

A torch would have been a welcome addition by Bluepoint but I can't complain. My best outdoor shots are using the night filter.
Holding the sword up acts as a torch, no? You're stationary but it's something. Unless it doesn't work well with the night filter?

Oct 25, 2017
Well, just finished the game. It was a bit of a mistake playing it on hard mode first though. Once you're down you're really down for a long period and they often can hit you again and kill you without you able to get up in time.
that aside, still a great game.

I think it is right to play it on Hard first. The colossi having extra weak spots you have to kill really does add to the game, and the increased difficulty better rewards the slight perks from exploration. The improved controls really help smooth out the difficulty, as well.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I finished the game two nights ago. It took about 5 and a half hours. That's with me doing a moderate amount of exploring and getting fruits and silver tails every time I came across them. I've played the game numerous times since it's release, so I pretty much remembered everything. Adjusting to the new control scheme I found to be extremely difficult. I got used to it around halfway through the game. Muscle memory from playing the original made me make alot of mistakes I normally wouldn't have. I cant tell you how many times I tried to make Agro move by pressing X, but all it did was dismount me. Or how many jumps I failed or missed because I hit Triangle instead of X. Or trying to shoot an arrow by pressing Square. I finally have a handle on them, and they are probably changed for the better. I do still make tiny mistakes every now and then.

I think Bluepoint should be commended on the job they did with making it play exactly the same, but pushing the graphical fidelity. The game is absolutely gorgeous. I feel like they did a great job of respecting the art style of the original, but still leaving their own mark on the game. The sense of scale is still as present as it ever was, from the Colossi, to the world it self. The atmosphere in my view is still there. Roaming around the lands still has the same empty and lonely feeling it always had, even with the fidelity cranked up to 11.

The Colossi themselves are still a blast to fight. Each one unique in design. The story is still as impactful as it was before. The minimal approach to storytelling just works so well for this game, and Ueda games in general. This isn't a replacement for the original. That will always be there, and I know I will play that version again at some point. This is a great way to experience the game though. Especially for newcomers that maybe wont be able to handle the dated look and performance.

I'm currently on my second playthrough, doing time attack stuff, and finding more of the fruits and tails, and exploring. Like I said, I love the way the game looks. But, this second playthrough I wanted to see if one of the filters can get close to the old look. I'm using the faded filter at 75%. From my memory of the original game, this filter makes the game look as close to the original as I think it can. The skies are blown out and the game has this kind of pale and dead look. Not so much beige.

Okinau

Oct 27, 2017
How does new game plus work? If I start a new game on hard mode does it erase my first (normal) file and all my stamina gain? Should I just stick with my normal file until I get enough stamina to
reach the top of the shrine of worship?
What about the coins? Do they carry over between save files?

Also, how does time attack work in this version? How do I complete time attack in normal and hard on the same save file?

Too many questions...

Last edited:

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
How does new game plus work? If I start a new game on hard mode does it erase my first (normal) file and all my stamina gain? Should I just stick with my normal file until I get enough stamina to

Also, how does time attack work in this version? How do I complete time attack in normal and hard on the same save file?

Too many questions...
I would like to know this too. I am just about to finish my first play through on Normal and I want to try for the Platinum but am confused on what steps I need to take to be as efficient as possible.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer

New Game Plus lets you keep your stamina, health, and items. You can start the game again on the same difficulty by choosing Continue on the main menu, or on any difficulty by choosing New Game+.

Yes. The coins (or whatever they are) are saved in a separate "profile" save which tracks your lifetime stats and other things.

Time Attack unlocks once you beat the game on Normal, and Hard Time Attack once you beat the game on Hard. Pray in front of an (intact) colossus statue to start.

Items carry over through New Game+.

immsun

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Number 4 down. Took some time to figure out. The Hint was useless thank god. Need to turn that off coz i i wanna find out myself what to do.

Once i was up,it was killed in 5 minutes.

Good that i forgot all colossi. Been a long time since played on ps2.

cheduff

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat it. Fucking mastepiece. This game has always been perfect to me. This game on the pro kept me in awe the whole time. Bluepoint did such a great job.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm only up to the fifth colossus but the actual "fights" seem a bit underwhelming. I've always imagined them being long, treacherous climbs with multiple phases but so far every one has been pretty basic and lasted 15 minutes tops. Are the later ones more elaborate?

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I'm only up to the fifth colossus but the actual "fights" seem a bit underwhelming. I've always imagined them being long, treacherous climbs with multiple phases but so far every one has been pretty basic and lasted 15 minutes tops. Are the later ones more elaborate?
Definitely. The first three colossi especially are fairly basic in terms of strategy, but the fights start getting crazier as the game goes on.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
They get more difficult but overall this is not a difficult game.

Edgeward

Oct 27, 2017
Beat it after only playing and beating the ps2 version a long time ago. Still great. I hated the 15th colossus though. I spent over an hour trying to figure out how to do the very first part. I actually had the right idea at first but it didnt work and then some physics-y stuff happened that led me down a wrong path of thinking and got me frustrated that I had to watch a vid to see how it was meant to be done. Other than that I remember most of the fights or could figure it out well enough. Game is amazingly gorgeous and well worth playing and replaying. Still holds up gameplay wise incredibly well and there really isnt a game that give me this same kind of climbing feel. Dragon's Dogma is fine but it's not enough like how SotC does.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Finally finished number 3 on hard time attack. He still shakes his head way too much. Luckily one of them threw me down to the chest weak spot.

Billy323

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else finding the music transitions during fights a bit jarring compared to the original. Some thing sounds off with the way it switches between soundtracks when you are on the colossus or off of it.

GIANKRATOS

Oct 26, 2017

On what difficulty level are you playing? If you find it too easy, i suggest switching to hard, it will make things more interesting.

Btw i hate you Amzon. They still have to deliver the damn game.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Is there something special to do to unlock item ? Im in NG+ Hard, I pray the shrine, beat the time, come back, but the items don't unlock even if I did beat 4 colossi in hard time attack ?

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I'm laughing at you right now. The animation in the remaster is significantly better
Seriously... The new "hair effects" are just bad, or nonexistent.
Yeah, I have no problems at all with Agro's animation in the remake. Wander's stiff running cycle, lack of hair movement, and lack of facial expressions during gameplay are all downgrades from the original, however.
Absolutely!

Look at his run cycle in the remake again. It's horrible. His arms swing robotically back and forth in an unnaturally symmetrical fashion while his neck and head remain locked in place, seemingly immune to the rest of his body's momentum shifting left and right as he runs.

There might be some technical flaws with his original run cycle, but the resulting visual is far more fluid, human, and dynamic.
Same when he spurs the horse. The original had his whole body moving when he spurs Agro - like it should be. In the remake only his legs are moving in a mechanical fashion while his upper body remains perfectly still. Looks super weird.

Last edited:

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
Anyone else finding the music transitions during fights a bit jarring compared to the original. Some thing sounds off with the way it switches between soundtracks when you are on the colossus or off of it.

It was 100% like this in the original. The music transitions have always been overly abrupt.

ScOULaris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was 100% like this in the original. The music transitions have always been overly abrupt.
Yeah. The only difference I've noticed in the remake is that the music is lower in the sound mix than it was in the original. You can always turn down other sounds and leave the music maxed to get the old mix back, however.

Deleted member 8106

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there something special to do to unlock item ? Im in NG+ Hard, I pray the shrine, beat the time, come back, but the items don't unlock even if I did beat 4 colossi in hard time attack ?
When you unlock an item there's a cutscene indicating you it's inside the pool, didn't you get that? Are you sure you saved MANUALLY after you beat those colossi?

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I've discovered I can't play this. It's just too real now. Watching the majestic #5 crash into the lake was a weird AF experience. I felt terrible. And I know it's because I know, but the game is just so deceitful with the triumphant music and visuals. Why did I never think back in the day that it doesn't even make sense to be ATTACKING the things supposedly represented in the shrine of WORSHIP?

The other thing I noticed is that the cinematography is absolutely stunning. The original direction and the new visuals are a powerful combination.

The comparison image gallery is pretty cool, too.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. The only difference I've noticed in the remake is that the music is lower in the sound mix than it was in the original. You can always turn down other sounds and leave the music maxed to get the old mix back, however.
You sure you have the right speaker output selected? I haven't noticed the music being too low and I've noticed others making that suggestion.

Deleted member 8106

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if I'll get the Platinum in the game. I mean, I'm not so much into trophies/achievements, but there are game I like to 100%, like Ico, SOTC, Metal Gear titles etc.
But I got a bit bored from the remaster. Maybe it's just because I played the game so many times already, so it's just a matter of time to spend on the game again until I get all trophies (and they are all quite easy to get, I just need to complete Normal Time Trial and well, beating the game three other times, finding all shrines and some easy stuff related to animals and lizards), but I don't feel on spending at least other 8-9 hours on the game for a virtual reward.

Okinau

Oct 27, 2017
New Game Plus lets you keep your stamina, health, and items. You can start the game again on the same difficulty by choosing Continue on the main menu, or on any difficulty by choosing New Game+.

Yes. The coins (or whatever they are) are saved in a separate "profile" save which tracks your lifetime stats and other things.

Time Attack unlocks once you beat the game on Normal, and Hard Time Attack once you beat the game on Hard. Pray in front of an (intact) colossus statue to start.

Items carry over through New Game+.
Thank you!

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else finding it hard to enjoy? I don't mean this a detriment to the quality of the game.

But I just start feeling so depressed every time I start. I don't know why, but I didn't really have this problem with the PS2 version but this one feels soul crushingly lonely and somber with the fidelity of the creature deaths.

I think I need a happier game to play :(