• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my first play-through of this game. I originally was with the camp who said Wander's face is fine, but to be honest, every time I went into photo mode to get a cool shot, Wander ruined it. I typically set the "near blur" to hide him and just focus on the Colossus.

Its not a necessity, but part of me hopes Bluepoint cleans it up in a future update.
+1

I'm beginning to hate Wander's face, his big ugly mug ruins most photos unless you zoom out a considerable distance.

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
It was great finding an Ico easter egg without knowing it exists.

I was totally expecting a coin at the end of that beach (B5 on the map), but the watermelon was even better

Finished my first playthrough and only got three coins. Now, I wasn't specifically looking for them but that's still crazy because I was everywhere on the map (got the shrine trophy too). They must be hidden really well.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does the speed run trophy count on a normal NG+ run?

My first run where I explored a bit and got all the shrines clocked me in at a little over 6 hours.

Oct 27, 2017
I just did #7 without touching the camera stick. Even running up that spiral is so smooth and only when you touch the camera do you start losing control of your bearings. Stop fighting, folks.

Also, why is that #7 has the only (that I've noticed) smooth transition betweeen music tracks? You can hear how they wait for certain cues before making the transition to sound near seamless.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Does the speed run trophy count on a normal NG+ run?

Has to be on Hard difficulty. You can do it on Hard New Game+, however, and you can use whatever items you've earned from Time Attack.

Don't worry, it's one of the game's easiest trophies. The goal is nearly six hours and I did it in less than two (and that was with some sloppy mistakes).

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
KSFKcwb.gif

h0tp0ck3t

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn it 2 hours stuck on Argus Hard Time Attack. Can never get more than one hit on his chest before he just thrashes till I run out of grip.

Edit: and then of course when I finally get it done it literally takes him 45 seconds to punch the ground and I run out of time. Fuck this shit

Edit 2: OMG I FINALLY GOT HIM

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Just reached the ending for the first time...seriously, what kind of ending is that? I'm talking about the part where you no longer have any control, through on to the credits. The Colossi were all cool, what it meant to defeat them was interesting enough, but after that...??? Out of nowhere.

Oct 25, 2017
Just reached the ending for the first time...seriously, what kind of ending is that? I'm talking about the part where you no longer have any control, through on to the credits. The Colossi were all cool, what it meant to defeat them was interesting enough, but after that...??? Out of nowhere.

I mean, you were warned at the very beginning of the game by Dormin, that you would pay a huge price for your wish to be fulfilled... It's not like it comes out of nowhere.

Kufkah

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 26, 2017
Ending sort of set the stage for ICO, if you played ICO first, you can clearly see what they're doing with SotC ending.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, you were warned at the very beginning of the game by Dormin, that you would pay a huge price for your wish to be fulfilled... It's not like it comes out of nowhere.

The "price" part was fine and I still had some control at that point. It's the stuff after that, once the deal was "sealed"...wild.

I went and read a bit about the connections to ICO so I see what people are saying there. I played a bit of ICO years ago so it's not fresh in my mind.

solarboy

Oct 27, 2017
I only ever played through this once, so I'm excited to really dive in for real this time until I'm an expert who can ace all the time attacks.

I did the trick for #3 where you
jump straight from the tip of his sword to his head
on my second try and lost my shit. Magical moment.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A couple of days ago, I visited the thread where people complained about some details in the remake not being faithful to the original (facial expression etc.). Now that I actuall had the chance to play the game, I can safely say this is the biggest exaggeration in my gaming life. This remake - in my opinion - is the same leap as from RE to REmake. It looks way better then the original and also plays much much better due to the fact, that it is running with more then 10 fps. I personally cannot understand people preferring the original over the remake. The original is still fine, like RE. But if you were to recommend the original or the remake to a new player, I'd definitly recommend the latter.

Totally agree with all of this. The rationalization the "purists" give is pretty ridiculous to me. This is, without question, the superior way to experience the game.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda went nuts over the weekend with this game. I never replayed the original despite it being one of my favorite games ever. Mostly because of the frustrating controls and dogshit framerate. Ps3 version was based on the European version which had a faster stamina drain system. Couldn't play it past the 3rd Colossus.

But this game. I beat hard mode in less than 3 hours then decided to take on normal mode time attack which went rather well and then hard mode time attack which was brutal, souls like difficulty, but beat most of the Colossus on the first try. The 3rd one was the hardest but i came back to it last and beat it with 1.5 seconds left. Took an hour to get the trophy for beating it without breaking its armor but man what a phenomena video game this is. I always appreciated the spectacle, the puzzles and the genius design of some of the Colossus but time attack and hard mode made me appreciate it a lot more.

Back in the day i gave it a 9.5/10 because of the poor controls making it frustrating to play but i have no problem giving this remake my third 10/10 after mgs3 and mgs4. What a game.

MetalGear?

Nov 8, 2017
+1

I'm beginning to hate Wander's face, his big ugly mug ruins most photos unless you zoom out a considerable distance.
I don't have a problem with his face myself, but maybe you could try using the shamans mask, hides his whole face. Doesn't solve the problem of course, but a little workaround.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017
I just finished my first playthrough last night. It was an absolutely breathtaking experience. It's like a Greek tragedy with a touch of Japanese weirdness. I'm tempted to try for the platinum for fun. So...

Is Dormin benevolent, or at least ambivalent? The humans who show up to stop Wander and imprison Dormin are total dicks. On the other hand, Dormin delivers on its promise and is upfront about there being a cost for bending the rules. In the ending, the Wander-Dormin being seems to be beloved by those critters in the secret garden. This is typically a trait of good beings in fiction.

Anyway, despite a bit of Jank in the controls (particularly Agro), it's an excellent game and possibly a 10/10 for me (a 9.5 at least).

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
Might be a daft question but..how do you actually take a photo? The photomode UI tells you everything except how to actually bloody take one from what I can see.

Scion

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know the best place to find turtles? Already hung out with some hawks and fish and I know that doves are easy to find in the Temple. But after finding a few random bodies of water I couldn't find a turtle.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know the best place to find turtles? Already hung out with some hawks and fish and I know that doves are easy to find in the Temple. But after finding a few random bodies of water I couldn't find a turtle.

I found some near the tiny lake, near the desert cave of the snake colossi. There are also big fishes in the water to grab

Blackueen

Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Phew, I was always a defender of the "different" controls, but the last collosus did try my patience. Still such a lovely game. Maybe I'll try the time attacks, but it doesn't feel right to my to play this game under time-pressure.

Oct 27, 2017
Phew, I was always a defender of the "different" controls, but the last collosus did try my patience. Still such a lovely game. Maybe I'll try the time attacks, but it doesn't feel right to my to play this game under time-pressure.
It really doesn't feel right. I did it, but it doesn't feel right and certainly won't lend itself to the people already having trouble.

For me, SotC shines when you're confident in your abilities and controls and you start experimenting on top of the colossi, seeing when you can let go and how long you can stay on when it starts to shake before having to hold the grab button etc. Just hanging out with the dudes, ya know?

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Go straight north from the central temple, following the pillars of the big bridge. You should eventually come across a couple places in the desert (big rocks, oases, etc) that have a few turtles crawling around. Just trip over them to "interact" with them.

Scion

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the help with the turtles. Turns out I must have bumped into one without realizing it because I stopped by the temple to grab a dove and got the trophy afterwards.

Oct 30, 2017
Ok, so pro-tips needed. How can I shave time off during time attacks in terms of working my way around a colossus that makes use of the physics? I noticed someone mentioned being able to jump from #3's sword directly onto their head without having to climb up the fur or break the stone wristbands.

Does this just take timing and releasing R2 or do I need to time it with actual jumps as well? I've tried before but often just get sent in the wrong directions. Any advice?

combat102

Feb 1, 2018
Ok, so pro-tips needed. How can I shave time off during time attacks in terms of working my way around a colossus that makes use of the physics? I noticed someone mentioned being able to jump from #3's sword directly onto their head without having to climb up the fur or break the stone wristbands.

Does this just take timing and releasing R2 or do I need to time it with actual jumps as well? I've tried before but often just get sent in the wrong directions. Any advice?
check the speed runs of the game on youtube

LoveBug566

Oct 27, 2017
Ordered a PS4 Pro just for this game and I'm not disappointed. Playing the game in cinematic mode and it brings a tear to my eye. I also think the soundtrack is GOAT.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
I don't have a problem with his face myself, but maybe you could try using the shamans mask, hides his whole face. Doesn't solve the problem of course, but a little workaround.
Yeah, the shaman's mask looks quite good so I've been using it every now and then, and the cursed skin is cool too. I still wish his appearance were a little closer to the original design but I guess we can't have everything.

Grabbing onto birds is easy. Try shooting one down from the sky.
lol that was the first thing I tried to do after seeing my first hawk and it was more challenging than most of the colossi...

38557632470_65a820b9a3_o.jpg

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
In was going to go for the platinum, but hard mode time trials are annoying me. I don't have the patience to replay each colossi a dozen times to find the quickest path and exicute it.

El sueño

Feb 4, 2018
I just finished my first playthrough last night. It was an absolutely breathtaking experience. It's like a Greek tragedy with a touch of Japanese weirdness. I'm tempted to try for the platinum for fun. So...

Is Dormin benevolent, or at least ambivalent? The humans who show up to stop Wander and imprison Dormin are total dicks. On the other hand, Dormin delivers on its promise and is upfront about there being a cost for bending the rules. In the ending, the Wander-Dormin being seems to be beloved by those critters in the secret garden. This is typically a trait of good beings in fiction.

Anyway, despite a bit of Jank in the controls (particularly Agro), it's an excellent game and possibly a 10/10 for me (a 9.5 at least).

Have a look at this, his insights are very cool indeed. Guys if you have not finished the game, don't watch it

Last edited:

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
In was going to go for the platinum, but hard mode time trials are annoying me. I don't have the patience to replay each colossi a dozen times to find the quickest path and exicute it.

Most of the Hard time trials are really easy, actually. #8 gives you seven minutes, but it can easily be killed in about two and a half. Quite a few of them can be done on the first try with at least thirty seconds to spare.

It's just a select few that are a problem. #3 and #15 in particular are still infamous for their unpredictability and difficulty of attacking them. Get through those and it's mostly smooth sailing from there.

Last edited:

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the Hard time trials are actually really easy, actually. #8 gives you seven minutes, but it can easily be killed in about two and a half. Quite a few of them can be done on the first try with at least thirty seconds to spare.

It's just a select few that are a problem. #3 and #15 in particular are still infamous for their unpredictability and difficulty of attacking them. Get through those and it's mostly smooth sailing from there.

Yeah 3 was the one I gave up on and I knew 15 was gonna be a pain in the ass.

I figured out how to get up it's sword without breaking it's armor reliably and quickly, but getting to the extra weak point with such a small grip meter was the problem. Now that I think about it, there is one thing I didn't try that I should try.