warheat

Oct 28, 2017
You guys are probably joking.

But viewing the side-by-side video on the first page between the ~15-20 fps and 30 fps versions, there are moments where I legitimately like and prefer the look of the lower framerate.

Mind you, I say this as a 60 fps advocate. I MUCH prefer framerate over resolution.

But for some reason, this is basically the only game in existence where I actually buy into the much-hated "more cinematic" line. I don't know if it's because I originally played it on PS2, so I'm biased toward how it originally looked to me, but yeah. This is the one game where a lower fps actually does feel more cinematic to me. Go ahead and crucify me now, I know it's ridiculous.

You're not the only one, for example when 3rd colossus about to slam his club on the ground and you jumped/roll when it's about to hit you, then the camera shakes like crazy and cause massive slowdown (slow motion) due to heavy effects makes it more intense and give you the feeling of barely got away, I don't think you could achieve that with constant 60fps (unless the dev intentionally slow it down).

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're not the only one, for example when 3rd colossus about to slam his club on the ground and you jumped/roll when it's about to hit you, then the camera shakes like crazy and cause massive slowdown (slow motion) due to heavy effects makes it more intense and give you the feeling of barely got away, I don't think you could achieve that with constant 60fps (unless the dev intentionally slow it down).
Yeah, that moment is especially memorable, and the first thing that comes to mind regarding frame rate drops in SotC. Actually, that 3rd colossus striking down moment is the first thing that comes to mind for me regarding anything about SotC. What a phenomenal colossus.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd rather play at 15fps with the green filter. This "remaster" gets more unfaithful by the day.

Just kidding of course this is amazing news, can't wait for this.

Oct 25, 2017
Superior animation and movement over screenshot quality any day, for and game, so this is great news. PS4 Pro really wasn't on my radar, but I guess it is now, as I refuse to play this in an inferior state.

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
* sees thread title *

Oh wow, hardly any PS4 Pro titles offer that option, and at full 1080p? That's awesome and who --

* remembers it's Bluepoint *

Ah yes. Quite. Business as usual.

:P

edit: And this is great for me too. I have never played it, so this is like a full new game. Can't wait.

you're in for a treat. one of my favourites from the PS2 era. There's something about it.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
1080p 60fps sounds good to me. I wonder if it's like Nioh where it dials back some effects as well.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I will die on this hill with pride. To this day I still play on my PS2 and am delighted whenever the frame rate tanks when a Colossus violently jerks his head around. I am 100% serious.

You don't need to die on it, this is common with all technology. It's like that quote, as soon as we can avoid those technological artifacts people will start to love them. It's only natural after all, while they're current technology those impediments are seen as exactly that, impediments, and not further thought is given to them. Only when we're given the choice to live without them do we think about what they added to the experience.

I probably won't buy this version of the game because i already have the PS3 remake, but even if i did i know this is not what the original game was. This is not a facsimile of that long loved seminal text in videogames. And really, it's ok that it's not, but... frankly they've removed more from the experience than put into it. Which is also ok i guess.