• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
sadly this game had B-team written all over it from the start, just like with Arkham Origins

I'll buy it on a sale

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sadly this game had B-team written all over it from the start, just like with Arkham Origins
Arkham Origins is easily the best Arkham game, though.
In this case, you've got the exemplary Eidos Montreal at the helm, who are almost as good as Arkane. I would certainly consider them a higher calibre of developer than Crystal Dynamics.

Oct 28, 2017

I'll buy it on a sale
Shadow of the Tomb Raider absolutely does look set to be the Arkham Origins of the new TR games.

Meaning a new developer has come along and is making a better game than both previous games.

Though Shadow does look like a much bigger step up than Origins to be fair.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
Arkham Origins is easily the best Arkham game, though.
In this case, you've got the exemplary Eidos Montreal at the helm, who are almost as good as Arkane. I would certainly consider them a higher calibre of developer than Crystal Dynamics.

I'm playing through Arkham Origins right now after playing Asylum and City and honestly I'm basically forcing myself though it. The only part of the game so far that I think is even close to the first two in terms of quality is the crime scene investigations. I've seriously considered dropping it several times, but I'm just killing time until Shadow of The Tomb Raider releases.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
I'm playing through Arkham Origins right now after playing Asylum and City and honestly I'm basically forcing myself though it. The only part of the game so far that I think is even close to the first two in terms of quality is the crime scene investigations. I've seriously considered dropping it several times, but I'm just killing time until Shadow of The Tomb Raider releases.

That's a strange opinion. In terms of gameplay, Origins is effectively the same as City (except with superior detective sequences). The boss fights, character designs and story are also a step up from Rocksteady's entries. Really, the only weakness Origins had was the city itself. It was basically just a snow-covered version of Arkham City.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017

I'll buy it on a sale
Actually a lot of chatter on Twitter suggests that the game is going to be the best in the series. I'll have to find the tweet but an insider said he's talked to a few reviewers and they've all said the game is the best in the trilogy.

For some strange reason, this game is getting crushed and it's not even out yet. Part of the reason, I think, is that Tomb Raider has been on current gen consoles (if we are including the Definitive Edition) while Uncharted got the benefit of jumping to a new generation. Rise looked absolutely amazing so it's difficult to make Shadow look that much better. There seems to be a lot of QoL improvements that typically get swept under the rug.

I am not directly speaking to you but it seems that most people are down on this game and I really have no idea why.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
I am not directly speaking to you but it seems that most people are down on this game and I really have no idea why.

When a series switches developers, that usually turns a lot of people off. See Halo, Gears of War, Arkham Origins, Mass Effect, etc. There's also the fact that Spider-Man has gotten all the attention for this month. Some people are actually offended that Square dared to launch SoTR a week after Spider-Man and believe that it is just being arrogant about Tomb Raider's chances. It sounds absurd but emotions are usually pretty irrational, especially when it comes to supporting console exclusives.

There's also the matter of priorities. I play Tomb Raider for platforming, exploration and puzzle-solving and SoTR appears to be a big step up in all of those areas. However, most players only really care about combat and SoTR's combat essentially looks the same as the previous games (and was never great to begin with). SoTR also doesn't have the production values of Uncharted which is a turn-off for players seeking a cinematic, story-driven experience. Naughty Dog has set the bar for those types of games so competitors have an uphill battle.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
SHADOW OF THE TOMB RAIDER looks like an improvement in most ways. I don't think enough of the story stuff has been showcased to give an opinion about that but all the mechanics look improved.

The issue it has is "it's just another Tomb Raider," and it's releasing right after the best Spider-Man game ever and before COD does Battle Royale and Rockstar's first current gen title. It hasn't demanded the public's attention and the stigma of it being developed by the "B team" is hurting it.

BATTLEFIELD V is going through similar hurdles.

I'm definitely picking up SOTTR around Black Friday.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With the whole B-team argument, im inlcined to believe the eidos that made thief isnt the one that made deus ex. I still regard deus ex team way above crystal.
As for whos making this game, i dunno.
Still buying it for the setting alone but i agree its getting stale. So far everything about it has a more of the same vibe. And lara still seems as unlikable as ever.
And while the game might be great in isolation , right now comparisons to other AAA releases around it are invetiable.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
These games are pretty dope. I do wish they'd stick to tombs and rely less on action but I'm still really enjoying this rebooted franchise.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
These games are pretty dope. I do wish they'd stick to tombs and rely less on action but I'm still really enjoying this rebooted franchise.

I like that theyre going out of their way to let us adjust difficulties. Im definitely going for the lowest on combat and highest on all else. I only wish they would add a separate difficulty option with regards to the wildlife. I still want that to be scary but it just wont be if i can mow down 1000s of mercenaries without much effort.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
I like that theyre going out of their way to let us adjust difficulties. Im definitely going for the lowest on combat and highest on all else. I only wish they would add a separate difficulty option with regards to the wildlife. I still want that to be scary but it just wont be if i can mow down 1000s of mercenaries without much effort.

Agreed. It's a clever idea to be able to adjust difficulty separately like that.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like there's already some streams up if you search for the game.

edit: From watching streams; conversations with the villagers are way longer than I'd expected. Town(s) more fleshed out. Underwater sections seem extensive. The Eidos Montreal imprint is shining through.

One small thing. This particular main menu shot looks really cool (excuse the stream grab quality).
uUmMBNX.jpg

Last edited:

principal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 14, 2018
these have not gone the way of the uncharted games

everytime a new one comes out I'm less interested

Phonomezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Actually a lot of chatter on Twitter suggests that the game is going to be the best in the series. I'll have to find the tweet but an insider said he's talked to a few reviewers and they've all said the game is the best in the trilogy.

For some strange reason, this game is getting crushed and it's not even out yet. Part of the reason, I think, is that Tomb Raider has been on current gen consoles (if we are including the Definitive Edition) while Uncharted got the benefit of jumping to a new generation. Rise looked absolutely amazing so it's difficult to make Shadow look that much better. There seems to be a lot of QoL improvements that typically get swept under the rug.

Anyone find these tweets?

brandog

Nov 19, 2017
I think this looks like the best game in the rebooted series. Eidos Montreal seem to be a great fit for Tomb Raider.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Keeps looking better and better. Nice positive trajectory to launch. I wasn't that hyped on it ages ago but the more I see, hyped for it , not expecting anything massively different just good fun and variety.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All I know is, the setting is infinitely more appealing to me than what we got in Rise. I don't think that whole world/story was particularly interesting. Unlike the island of Yamatai in TR2013, Rise's setting was bereft of character, nuance, and variety.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
I do like these games but I wish Lara would shut up sometimes. I don't want to hear her internal monologue all the time.