Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
zHh2Ump.png

CnGAlyN.png
Platform(s): PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Switch, Xbox One, Xbox Series S|X
Release Date:
June 21st, 2022 (Console)​
Genre: CRPG
Price: $39.99 USD
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital/Physical (physical release via Limited Run Games)
Developer: Harebrained Schemes
Publisher: Paradox Interactive

TdQGe9F.png

What is the Shadowrun Trilogy?
The Shadowrun Trilogy comprises 3 cult tactical RPG games taking place in a dystopian cyberpunk future in which magic has re-awakened, bringing back to life creatures of high fantasy. Initially created as a tabletop RPG over 30 years ago, this one-of-a-kind setting that has gained a huge cult following during the past three decades.

How long are the games?
Via HowLongToBeat (main story)

Shadowrun Returns: ~12 hours
Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut: ~21 hours
Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition: ~20 hours

What order should I play the games in?
Whichever you like, the games are all independent stories with their own settings and characters. Shadowrun Returns is seen more as a proof of concept for the trilogy with a lot of the reverence for the games coming from Shadowrun: Dragonfall—with it being a commonly recommended starting point.

What is combat like in these games?
Combat encounters are turn-based (via grid movement) squad battles. Think of something akin to XCOM or its contemporaries.

How do the games play on a controller?
You now directly control your character outside of combat via the analogue stick instead of directing them via a mouse.

Will the PC release be updated with controller support?
Currently unknown. There have been public questions posted to the developer/publisher but none have been replied to from what I've seen.

Is the game enhanced on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series S|X?
There are native versions (smart delivery on Xbox, standalone on PS5) for the current gen consoles, but there are no specific details on what they offer over their last generation counterparts.

Touch screen support on Switch?
Unknown.

Xbox Play Anywhere?
No, as there is currently no Windows Store version of the Shadowrun Trilogy.

Does buying the game on PS5 get the game on PS4 and vice-versa?
Yes, both versions come together in a digital bundle.

Game Pass?
Yes, the game is part of Game Pass on console and cloud. If you are an active member of that service you can play Shadowrun Trilogy for no extra cost.

Physical release?
Yes, there is a physical release for the game on Xbox, PS4 and Nintendo Switch launching later this year via Limited Run Games.

CraWOCo.png

ss_12a817ead3b71e7612104c4ca7f552a06dea4a4c.600x338.jpg
ss_fa1d552f1046e0b2a3fbbb36fff97c287ac002df.600x338.jpg

ss_57b255b610f64654dfb21a6fb0995bb9e01eb839.600x338.jpg
ss_d72b0c571b7f26e7dd5eb0d8f187fa5229466287.600x338.jpg

AJ5KtmX.png

Metacritic
XB1 | XBS | PS4 | PS5 | Switch
Opencritic (TBA)

PureXbox - 7/10
Shadowrun Trilogy is an excellent trio of tactical RPG titles that serve up wonderfully atmospheric worlds, well-written stories and entertaining turn-based combat to boot. With surprisingly breezy core mechanics and fairly short running times for all three entries it's a perfect series for newcomers to the genre and tactical RPG veterans alike, and another fantastic addition to Xbox Game Pass that we highly recommend you check out ASAP. Let's just hope that freezing bug gets patched out nice and quickly.

GodIsAGeek - 8/10
If anything lets it down it's the combat, thanks to the awful chance-to-hit system and the fact that it's been done by so many other games – often with better results. But as the combat is treated almost as an aside, it doesn't hamstring the experience that much. It's the atmosphere that really stands out in Shadowrun Trilogy, and if you're looking for a strong narrative RPG to immerse yourself in, you could do a lot worse.

NintendoLife - 5/10
The Shadowrun Trilogy is a superb trio of RPG classics that we were psyched to get stuck into all over again on Nintendo Switch. However, constant performance issues, including stuttering frame rates, long loading times, unresponsive and sticky controls, and a serious bug that freezes your game entirely at points, means that this is a series of ports we find it very difficult to recommend picking up as things currently stand at launch. Let's hope there's a significant patch on the way ASAP as these are games that deserve to be played by as many people as possible.

RtMSe4O.png

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/532/Shadowrun_Trilogy/

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Have owned all three for literal years and have never jumped in for whatever reason.

Is it recommended to play them in order? I kinda want to play Hong Kong - is it stupid to do that first?

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Dragonfall > Hong Kong > Returns

would recommend stating with Dragonfall

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
I've never played Hong Kong, but I have played the other two. Returns (it's notable for reviving a stagnant CRPG scene) is okay, but Dragonfall is excellent.

Soy Bob

Dec 3, 2018
Have owned all three for literal years and have never jumped in for whatever reason.

Is it recommended to play them in order? I kinda want to play Hong Kong - is it stupid to do that first?

Each game is a completely separate story and characters. I've not played it but a lot of people say Returns is pretty skippable, while Dragonfall and Hong Kong have some nice quality of life upgrades. I don't know if Returns has been updated to match the other two for mechanics.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Really hope these get a PC update for controller/Deck support too, fingers crossed

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
Always wanted to play these. Good excuse now that they are on gamepass. That being said, I'll being playing them in order. No skipping ahead for me.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
was really hoping for Switch impressions before the launch discount goes away but it seems im shit out of luck. I already played them on Pc, so the only way I would replay them is portable at work.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Would be nice if controller support is patched into PC. Tried playing it on the Deck and didn't find it comfortable at all with the trackpad.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This reminded me I have this on my PSN wishlist and it has a Plus discount, need to buy it before tomorrow.

Would be nice if controller support is patched into PC. Tried playing it on the Deck and didn't find it comfortable at all with the trackpad.

This might be one reason why I didnt play it on PC yet and why some games i just dont play on PC. I do have a controller thing, DS4Windows or another one I used for Terraria called GlovePIE.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Ugh, it's the 21st here and it's still not live on PSN!

Fuck me, 12 and a half hours from now? Come on. 😒

Last edited:

Nester

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have a really nice Shadowrun messenger bag from kickstarting the first one. I don't think I've used it more than a handful of times but it looks great.

Anyways everyone should play these games they're a fun time. I'll be replaying them on XSX and picking up the Switch physical version.

Cloud support confirmed for Game Pass
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I have played all of these at release and enjoyed all of them. People should really give these a shot. Returns is probably the most shippable one of you want to save some money.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Some people will recommend others to skip Returns but i still think its a pretty serviceable game and a good (re)introduction to shadowrun. Just put on a lower difficulty if you get annoyed by some of its.... quirks and blaze through it.

Bunkem

Prophet of Truth
Aug 25, 2021
Returns isn't as good as the other two, but I think it's still worth playing. I had a fun time with it.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease more shadowrun pleeeeeeeeeeeaeaaaaaaasssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I think I got them for free on PC last year either on Epic or on gog.
Kickstarted Hong Kong back in the day (and never played it) and played Dragonfall which was really cool!

What are Harebrained Schemes up to these days? Stopped following them after Battletech which was good but not really for me.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fuckin finally! Have all three on my now long dead laptop, so this is an opportunity to finish what I started. Very fun games.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
What are Harebrained Schemes up to these days? Stopped following them after Battletech which was good but not really for me.

Not much is known but whatever it is It's likely to be either a new IP or something owned by Paradox Interactive. When they acquired HBS in 2018 it was stated how they wanted to move them off of licensed properties and onto ones owned by Paradox.

I have a really nice Shadowrun messenger bag from kickstarting the first one. I don't think I've used it more than a handful of times but it looks great.

I've still got the Kickstarter book around here somewhere as well.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, that was some years ago. Hope something is just around the corner.
It's actually only a couple of years since they stopped putting out (very good) DLC for Battletech. I always assumed they'd make Battletech 2, but I'd honestly be more excited about a new Shadowrun, even though I love both series.

Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone know if there are updates to these games in terms of graphics, haptics, or am i better off waiting for my steam deck for a replay?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Really looking forward to playing these.

I played Returns shortly after it came out like, years ago and LOVED it. I never tried either of the follow-up games/expansions (whatever they are), even though I constantly hear they're better.

Wonder how it feels to play them with a controller...

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So if I've never played any of these what is the order I should play them in?