• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
lol, if the existing games don't get updated with controller support, I hope this whole thing fails like PoE :|
Why would it fail? Controller support is good by all reports console sides. Issue is with Switch version quality, not controls per say and PS4/5/Xbox ports seem fine.

Games already sold what they are going to sell on PC in any case. Would it be good to get updates on PC? Sure! Would it really move the needle for sales? Nah. If people refused to buy these excellent titles on Steam/GoG before, they aren't going to buy them with controller support.

What they do need is refresh of Dragonfall iOS and Android port as well as HK release. Oh, and add the controller support on these! ;)

Scrobbles

Oct 25, 2017
Man, Dragonfall is pretty great. Still a little early on, but I'm loving it so far and it's a big step up over Returns.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Man, Dragonfall is pretty great. Still a little early on, but I'm loving it so far and it's a big step up over Returns.

Yeah it really is. The characters/companions also really grew on me over time. I think DF just had a really good start over all. None of this "I'm new or roped into this by circumstance" crap and just "I'm a shadowrunner from out of town here to do some professional shadowrunning with my friend". Even if I didn't know what it meant, from a RP perspective it was so much more interesting!

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I put a good few hours into Returns back in the day but wasn't feeling it so dropped it. I have both Dragonfall and HK on steam too, maybe I should try again with DF.

gilko79

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
I'm about 3 hours into Returns. It's fairly simplistic, but liking it so far. If this is the weakest, I have a feeling I'll really enjoy DF and HK.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Really frustrated that the glowing SwitchUp review that praised the performance essentially got me to pre-order these on Switch, only to hear they're clusterfuck ports. Can't see how I'll ever trust that outlet's opinions again. I always wondered how they managed to pump out so many reviews, and seems like the reason is because they just don't put meaningful time into games.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I'm about 3 hours into Returns. It's fairly simplistic, but liking it so far. If this is the weakest, I have a feeling I'll really enjoy DF and HK.

This is why i find insane that people say to skip it or even worse, play after them. Its a short, cool game. Its not insanely good or anything, but its a nice jump back into shadowrun world/the gameplay of the trilogy and doesnt overstay its welcome. The later games use the same formula and add a bit more of mechanics and QoL on them, so going back is hard later. If anything going through Returns first makes you appreciate the improvements in Dragonfall even more

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Why would it fail? Controller support is good by all reports console sides. Issue is with Switch version quality, not controls per say and PS4/5/Xbox ports seem fine.

Games already sold what they are going to sell on PC in any case. Would it be good to get updates on PC? Sure! Would it really move the needle for sales? Nah. If people refused to buy these excellent titles on Steam/GoG before, they aren't going to buy them with controller support.

What they do need is refresh of Dragonfall iOS and Android port as well as HK release. Oh, and add the controller support on these! ;)

I definitely buy games because they get controller support, even if it is years after release.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Really frustrated that the glowing SwitchUp review that praised the performance essentially got me to pre-order these on Switch, only to hear they're clusterfuck ports. Can't see how I'll ever trust that outlet's opinions again. I always wondered how they managed to pump out so many reviews, and seems like the reason is because they just don't put meaningful time into games.
I mean after Cyberpunk fiasco, it was clear you can't completely trust reviewers. Unless it's like a full on DF review 🤣.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, sure, but if you think of overall number of people doing that, it's going to be tiny.

Should they add controller support to show appreciation for their users? Yes. Does it make financial sense - Probably not.
I don't care about what's financial sense to them, games like this and Pillars are virtually unplayable on the Deck because they lack even direct WASD control of your character(s); they should add it and if they don't I'm rooting for them to fail 🤷

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
Thats a petty, miserable and tiny-minded thought.
I'm neither Paradox's CFO or shareholders, if they update the game to have controller support but not the version they already sold, I'm wishing ill. It comes off as "hey everyone who bought and supported these projects, fuck off", to which I say likewise.

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about what's financial sense to them, games like this and Pillars are virtually unplayable on the Deck because they lack even direct WASD control of your character(s); they should add it and if they don't I'm rooting for them to fail 🤷
Hoping for an entire project to fail with all the potential consequences attached, job loss etc. because you don't specifically get what you want - controller support lololololol. Is a terrible and yes, pathetic thought. You should really be ashamed of yourself.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
That's pretty sociopathic of you, but go ahead. You bought the games without controller support years ago.

Now you are wishing I'll to porting companies and publisher because you want new features for games bought years ago. Ok then.

Scott Lufkin

Dec 7, 2017

I've been playing both Pillars and Baldur's Gate on the Switch and the use of a controller has been excellent. You can steer your party with the left-stick OR pan the camera and click to move. What is your concern here? Also, steering the character with the joystick in Shadowun Returns has been excellent as well - I'm really not following what your complaint is.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing both Pillars and Baldur's Gate on the Switch and the use of a controller has been excellent. You can steer your party with the left-stick OR pan the camera and click to move. What is your concern here? Also, steering the character with the joystick in Shadowun Returns has been excellent as well - I'm really not following what your complaint is.
I'd love to have that on the Steam versions I have, but if they don't update those versions, they're telling people that supported these projects early on to fuck off and it would be disappointing.

That's pretty sociopathic of you, but go ahead. You bought the games without controller support years ago.

Now you are wishing I'll to porting companies and publisher because you want new features for games bought years ago. Ok then.
Not as much as telling people that supported these projects that they're going to get jack shit.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Their concern is that they bought the games on Steam or GoG years ago, which didn't have controller support. Now that console versions came with said controller support they are wishing sales failure on porting companies and publisher since PC version (released years ago) wasn't updated with same support.

I gather situation with PoE was similar but the sales bombed on the console so disparate wants Sahdowrun sales to fail since they can't play the games (released years ago) comfortably enough on their SteamDeck.

Yeah.... 🤡

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
Their concern is that they bought the games on Steam or GoG years ago, which didn't have controller support. Now that console versions came with said controller support they are wishing sales failure on porting companies and publisher since PC version (released years ago) wasn't updated with same support.

I gather situation with PoE was similar but the sales bombed on the console so disparate wants Sahdowrun sales to fail since they can't play the games (released years ago) comfortably enough on their SteamDeck.

Yeah.... 🤡
Yeah, a real clownshow by the publisher/studio to not update their game. Must be too tough for the poor poor corporation.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Yeah, a real clownshow by the publisher/studio to not update their game. Must be too tough for the poor poor corporation.
They have no obligation to update years old games that you bought knowing that there is no said controller support.

What's the real 🤡 here is not wishing (or asking) publisher to update the old ports, but rather hoping the new ports wind up a financial failure affecting people's jobs and livelihood. Because you can't play old games comfortably on SteamDeck.

You can remap movement to the touchpad even. So it's not impossible to play. And yes, this is ridiculous.

Scott Lufkin

Dec 7, 2017
I started playing Icewind Dale EE on Steam, since I've been having so much fun with Baldur's Gate, and I do really miss controller support on this title. I can't believe I had that thought (and stand by it) - but there it is. It turns out controlling these games on console is actually pretty slick, once you spend an hour or so with it. It's a huge bummer that the controller support isn't being added in retroactively to the PC versions for sure.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Pillars of Eternity 1
Pillars of Eternity 2
Cities Skylines
Stellaris
Crusader Kings 3

All of these have excellent controller interfaces on console and Paradox couldn't be fucked to update any of the PC versions with it.

Now add all three Shadowrun games to the list

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
They have no obligation to update years old games that you bought knowing that there is no said controller support.

What's the real 🤡 here is not wishing (or asking) publisher to update the old ports, but rather hoping the new ports wind up a financial failure affecting people's jobs and livelihood. Because you can't play old games comfortably on SteamDeck.

You can remap movement to the touchpad even. So it's not impossible to play. And yes, this is ridiculous.
No, the clownshow is writing excuses for a corporation to not update their game with features they've developed. End of story. "WeLL tHeY doN't HaVE tO", unbelievable. It wasn't impossible for me to beat PoE1 on the Deck but it's complete dogshit.

Pillars of Eternity 1
Pillars of Eternity 2
Cities Skylines
Stellaris
Crusader Kings 3

All of these have excellent controller interfaces on console and Paradox couldn't be fucked to update any of the PC versions with it.

Now add all three Shadowrun games to the list
Honestly Paradox can eat a fat log of shit.

Burgess_101

Oct 26, 2017
Controller support would be great for playing on Steam Deck, so it's a shame. I just played through Returns for the first time on my deck using the trackpads, and it was fine, but not the most comfortable or intuitive experience.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

It's also an accessibility issue. A lot of people have injuries and disabilities that make using a traditional mouse and keyboard interface painful or impossible.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
It's also an accessibility issue. A lot of people have injuries and disabilities that make using a traditional mouse and keyboard interface painful or impossible.
"well there's a platform for them-"

Don-Mattrick1--621x414.jpg

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
And I think it's perfectly fine to ask/push PDX to do better.

It's not perfectly fine to wish game launches to fail because the game you bought without controller support and without any promises about controller support didn't get updated with it.

It's also perfectly fine to say "PDX isn't including features I need so I am not buying their games".

Again, wishing ill to developers efforts in different platforms because you didn't get update you wanted even though you knowingly bought the game without that feature in the first place is not a good look.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping a corporation's new product fails because they treat their previous ones like abandonware is good, actually.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Played for an hour using xCloud.

There's so many weird things about this game. Like, why in the world is the first option in the menu "restart level"? Not only is that a really dumb place to put that option (I've accidentally pressed it twice now), but why does an RPG even have a "restart level" option at all? It's so arbitrary and weird.

And there's all sorts of other bugs and oddities. What is going on with the snow particle effect in the streets outside your safehouse? They are like 5 pixel x 5 pixel white dots that are scaled up like ten times. They are a smudgy pixelated mess. And then there is this "paper blowing" effect that plays, and it seems to play through any blocking geometry so it will like appear through wires that are supposedly above it.

Then I tried to buy some deck programs from a street vendor. I bought two of them, and then it brought me to an equip screen. My two items that I just bought were no where to be found on this screen, and all I could do is remove equipment I was carrying. And once I removed it into the "stash" there was no way to actually get it back out of the stash. My only option was to "revert" my changes then save them. I have no idea what that screen was for or what happened to the stuff I bought. Did I spend money on it and now it's just gone? I checked all my inventory tabs and none of them had the equipment.

It just seems so unpolished. They've had years to fix these little issues, and they are so obvious.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
OK, I'm encountering a really weird bug in the early game.

The optional side quest for Gunari where you have to retrieve his stolen weapon crates just won't complete for me. But its kind of weirder than that. I'll do the whole mission non-hostile, making the deal with their leader and then the game leads you to the subway to exit the level and return to your Keiz. Except once the game has loaded the area it has reset the whole mission and directs me back Gesundbrunnen to do the quest from scratch.

I've loaded the game over and done the mission again and it does it every time. It's like loading back into the hub resets all the mission progress.

EDIT: Just tried it the hostile way and located the shipment that way. I'm now supposed to head back to the hub and give the info to Gunari, I go back to the hub and... it's directing me back to do the mission again and Gunari has no dialogue related to it. I guess the quest is bugged then.

Last edited:

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Ended up getting a refund from Nintendo on the Switch ports. No excuse for them to launch in this state considering the oldest of these games is almost a decade old, so "Switch isn't powerful enough" is not a valid argument here. I may grab them down the road on Playstation.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Ended up getting a refund from Nintendo on the Switch ports. No excuse for them to launch in this state considering the oldest of these games is almost a decade old, so "Switch isn't powerful enough" is not a valid argument here. I may grab them down the road on Playstation.
Dragonfall and HK are very good so if you have a PC available, I would go that route. They are not particularly demanding and quite cheap.

For PS, I would wait for some patches looking at the posts above.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Playstation too? Jeez, are any of these ports NOT shit?
Well, I think posts above are for Xbox (and of course Switch). I wouldn't bet PS to be "left out" though at this juncture.

PC versions run great and have bunch of mods. You can even run original Returns campaign in Dragon fall engine as well. So if you have that option, that's probably best by far.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing Shadowrun Returns and probably nearing the final stretch now. I've enjoyed it. I get that the other two games are probably better and more open but I think this game has been fine for what it is. It's like a jrpg simple version and I think that's fine and enjoyable. It's been more than enjoyable enough for me to want to finish it and especially as an intro to this universe if you are not somebody who is heavily into the shadowrun universe which I'm not.

As far as the state of the game, yeah its buggy. If that bothers you, I would probably just wait for some patches. It's definitely crashed a few times on me and just hung a few times where I thought it crashed on me but it recovered. I save obsessively though so none of that was really an issue for me outside of the slight annoyance of it happening.

Last edited:

Scousefury

Oct 28, 2017
Finished Returns.. I find it crazy just how linear it is. Only ever given 1 or 2 solutions to any progression. Hope for better in Dragonfall.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a good place to ask, does anyone know how attack rolls work in these games? Like, how are to hit percentages rolled?

Stone Dudeman

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I've been having some fun with these games on my Series S, but so far the same thing keeps happening.

I started Returns, played it for a few hours until I hit a bugged mission that would not let me finish even after reloading a save. I got annoyed, and not wanting to replay the whole mission I decidied to just try out Dragonfall instead. I was having fun with my Ork Street Samurai until a couple hours in I hit another bugged mission I could not finish even with a reload. So really annoyed I figure I'll give Hong Kong a shot. And I'll give you 3 guesses what happened a couple hours into Hong Kong?

I really want to like these games but they're not making it easy.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
How difficult are these games? I've always been meaning to try them out.
Shadowrun Returns isn't very hard. I played it on normal and it was kind of a cakewalk mostly as you outlevel the competition pretty easily. You just have to be a little careful with your money when it comes to hiring a crew for each mission. I bumped it up to hard for dragonfall which I just started just to have a slight more challenge. I say this as someone who finds the xcom series incredibly hard on the default difficulty.