Oct 30, 2017
Impressive on switch. Switch reveal ages ago looked like crap.
Text is too small handheld imo, but this looks like a great port.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Some early reviews, NintendoLife one makes it sound like Switch can get rough:

www.godisageek.com

Shadowrun Trilogy: Console Edition review | GodisaGeek.com

Shadowrun Trilogy has a ton of atmosphere, and if you’re looking for a strong narrative RPG you could do a lot worse.

Oct 30, 2017

www.godisageek.com

Shadowrun Trilogy has a ton of atmosphere, and if you’re looking for a strong narrative RPG you could do a lot worse.

Huge bummer as I just bought on switch for portability factor. I was basing it off the switchup review saying he played for 8 hours or so in each, and it was super solid minus some stuttering here and there.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Switch ports sound awful, which is really too bad. I will stick to my Steam and GoG versions I guess.

Great game series, Dragonfall and HK are some of my favorite CRPGs but I am not dealing with that BS port quality.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Not much is known but whatever it is It's likely to be either a new IP or something owned by Paradox Interactive. When they acquired HBS in 2018 it was stated how they wanted to move them off of licensed properties and onto ones owned by Paradox.

I've still got the Kickstarter book around here somewhere as well.

It's actually only a couple of years since they stopped putting out (very good) DLC for Battletech. I always assumed they'd make Battletech 2, but I'd honestly be more excited about a new Shadowrun, even though I love both series.

Neither did I know that they were acquired, nor that there was more than one DLC pack for Battletech - interesting!

Oct 30, 2017
Switch ports sound awful, which is really too bad. I will stick to my Steam and GoG versions I guess.

Great game series, Dragonfall and HK are some of my favorite CRPGs but I am not dealing with that BS port quality.

www.godisageek.com

Weird thing is what went wrong with the Switchup review that was full of praise for the performance?

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Would this be a good series for someone that never really clicked with X-Com style games? I tend to love crag's though.

Putzballs

Nov 5, 2017
About 3 hours into Dragonfall and I'm really enjoying it. My first game of this style that I liked

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
FFS. I hold off for reviews and impressions of the Switch version and bite based on positive word. Then literally minutes later, all I hear is how bad it is.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Would this be a good series for someone that never really clicked with X-Com style games? I tend to love crag's though.

If you liked Wasteland 3, its far more like it. The xcom comparisons are just for how part of the combat works but one is a strategy focused game on random units the other is a rpg with avatars and choices and character building and companions. Wasteland is the more apt comparison.

Captainslow

Dec 3, 2020
Currently playing through Returns. I've been trying to get through it for months but it's not really hooking me in. I'm at the
mental hospital
so I'm hoping I'm nearing the end of the game so I can jump on the better ones.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Playing Dragonfall based off recommendations. Having a good time so far after doing the first mission. Bit of a shocker moment in the story out the gate. Played Returns demo and enjoyed that too. Look like good games to sink many hours in to.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
If you liked Wasteland 3, its far more like it. The xcom comparisons are just for how part of the combat works but one is a strategy focused game on random units the other is a rpg with avatars and choices and character building and companions. Wasteland is the more apt comparison.
Thanks! That's all I needed to hear. I liked Wasteland, so I'll go ahead and get Returns.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Very tempted by this but I don't get on well generally with tactical RPGs - how's the difficulty here, is 'easy' going to let me get through most of the combat and focus on story?

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Very tempted by this but I don't get on well generally with tactical RPGs - how's the difficulty here, is 'easy' going to let me get through most of the combat and focus on story?
Very early in so hard to tell but not had any issues early on. First few fights have been problem free. I feel it's easy to get it to without anything advanced going on or complex systems.

Swarming1182

Jan 14, 2018
Played Dragonfall on PC around release, still one of the best and most memorable RPGs I've played since. Might have to give this another go, especially as it'll be at 4K on a TV.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
Have owned all three for literal years and have never jumped in for whatever reason.

Is it recommended to play them in order? I kinda want to play Hong Kong - is it stupid to do that first?
Same, started Returns 3 times but never gone farther than 2-3 levels. It's a shame because I'm a Cyberpunk fan and I love SRPG, I wonder why. Maybe on GamePass it will do it this time. But man, so many games, so much little time!

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Have owned all three for literal years and have never jumped in for whatever reason.

Is it recommended to play them in order? I kinda want to play Hong Kong - is it stupid to do that first?

You can play them in any order, they are pretty much standalone but there are some connections here and there like an npc from Dragonfall appearing in Hong Kong and maybe some other stuff.

Same, started Returns 3 times but never gone farther than 2-3 levels. It's a shame because I'm a Cyberpunk fan and I love SRPG, I wonder why. Maybe on GamePass it will do it this time. But man, so many games, so much little time!

Honestly I would recommend skipping Returns it's sort of a big demo with missing features like party members.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
I've only played an hour or so of the PS5 version, but so far I'm impressed with how polished it feels so far. Usually with these CRPG ports onto console there is a layer of awkwardness when it comes to the UI and presentation, even with the really special ones like Original Sin 2 and PoE2. But this looks and feels extremely slick and console friendly both with the menus/UI as well as the way it feels in gameplay. They've made some smart control choices too when translating it to controller.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man. I backed these on Kickstarter and loved all three. I wish Harebrained would do another game in the universe.

Will have to pick this up just to have them physical. Dragonfall and Hong Kong are so so good.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
My recommended play order is Dragonfall, HK and then Returns. Alternatively HK, Dragonfall then Returns.
Returns is imo the weakest. It is however the shortest but I felt that it doesn't really catch your attention or grip you the same way the others do with character, writing and world/lore. The game isn't bad but RPGs are a bit of a commitment so if you want to start with something I would recommend trying one of the more highly regarded games since they are almost entirely standalone any way.
HK has some nice improvements over DF, most notably in combat (though still mostly simplistic, skills are a bit more interesting) and mission objectives/design imo but also the hacking is a bit more interesting. You could probably pick between HK/DF based on the location if you prefer. DF is based in Berlin.
That said, if going back to play older games and missing some quality is a massive turn off then Returns > DF > HK is the way to go.

Gobbet is the best.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Currently playing through Returns. I've been trying to get through it for months but it's not really hooking me in. I'm at the so I'm hoping I'm nearing the end of the game so I can jump on the better ones.
Just skip it and head to Dragonfall. That's an astoundingly better game, and so is HK.

FYI, on PC you can play Returns in Dragonfall engine and there are also bunch of mods. Still, I would go DF->HK and then if you really want to try Returns do it then.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Hoping they add controller support on PC.

Would play the fuck out of it on my Steam Deck

Update incoming
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Update already in the works to address issues:

Thanks for your feedback. We have a patch already rolling out on all consoles, aiming to address multiple issues.

On some systems the update rollout might take a little longer, but soon you should see the game update on Nintendo Switch too!

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Update already in the works to address issues:

Thanks for your feedback. We have a patch already rolling out on all consoles, aiming to address multiple issues.

On some systems the update rollout might take a little longer, but soon you should see the game update on Nintendo Switch too!

I guess we shall see. There is 0 chance I would buy this on the Switch before patch hits and gets reviewed/examined.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Booted up Returns against the internet's warnings. Game hardlocked on the character builder lol. I hope that's one of the things being addressed there ^

warcrow

Oct 30, 2017
I'm SO excited these are hitting console right now! I somehow missed the announcement.

I recently played through Cyberpunk 2077 and it just wasnt...gritty, dark and....cyberpunky enough for me. I mean that mostly aesthetically, but partly thematically too.

Really excited for this!!

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
My FOMO issue is triggered by skipping a game in the series. But I guess I could always go back to Returns if I finished the other two.

Returns is the shortest of the three by a pretty large margin so it wouldn't be a big commitment if you wanted to start there too see the mechanics evolve.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
Will the PC release be updated with controller support?
Currently unknown. There have been public questions posted to the developer/publisher but none have been replied to from what I've seen.
lol, if the existing games don't get updated with controller support, I hope this whole thing fails like PoE :|