• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 2, 2017
I was never into He-Man or She-Ra back in the day. Decided to watch an episode of this just out of curiosity, and because the Grown Men For Whomst This Is Not For are so mad about it. Binged the entire thing in an afternoon.

Holy fucking shit, this show owns so hard. It's funny, it's clever, it's exciting, it's massively gay, has great messages about friendship and environmentalism and the need of unity... and did I mention it is funny? Episode 9 in particular is one of the greatest comedy episodes ever made. The writing is incredible. I'm on a sugar high from the entire show, but I really felt episode 9 might possibly be the best single 21 minutes of TV ever created. Just an absolute roller coaster ride.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Was a BIG fan of He-Man and She-Ra back in the day. That kinda sci-fi fantasy was my thing back then in the 80s! I'm about halfway through the new She-Ra series and I'm LOVING IT!

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seahawk is very into Mermista. Bow definitely has a crush on him, though.

I don't see it. Just see a dude who idolizes an adventurous sea captain.

Then again I see people claiming Bow is trans cause he wore a top wrap into a hotspring.

People also seem to be saying Glimmer is gay or bi for.... reasons.

Great show though. Really like the updated story. Very modern. Art style is kind of weird though. I like it but wish everyone including the older women didn't look like a 13 year old.

Then again old She-Ra the all looked 35 lol

Oct 25, 2017
Need to watch this as soon as I get home. The gay levels are out of this world!

Yeah, the tension between Adora and Catra is kind of ridiculous. Going to be quite a while before that ever happens though, for obvious reasons.

Anywho, I bingewatched the first season today and had a blast. It's not perfect, but it's a strong start and the central dynamic between Adora and Catra was one of the finest friendships/rivalries I've seen in an animated show... ever. Stevenson and Co. nailed that dynamic and I can't wait to see where things go next for both of them.

Then again I see people claiming Bow is trans cause he wore a top wrap into a hotspring.

Great show though. Really like the updated story. Very modern. Art style is kind of weird though. I like it but wish everyone including the older women didn't look like a 13 year old.

Yeah, I don't see Bow being gay and Glimmer is maybe bi at most. I'm not 100% but at least the first half or so of the season seemed indicate to me that Bow and Glimmer are probably going to wind up like Ron and Hermione as a romance at some point. Jury is still out on that though.

On the other hand, Adora definitely seems to have a thing for the fairer sex. Nothing too explicit so far though.

Last edited:

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the tension between Adora and Catra is kind of ridiculous. Going to be quite a while before that ever happens though, for obvious reasons.

Anywho, I bingewatched the first season today and had a blast. It's not perfect, but it's a strong start and the central dynamic between Adora and Catra was one of the finest friendships/rivalries I've seen in an animated show... ever. Stevenson and Co. nailed that dynamic and I can't wait to see where things go next for both of them.

Yeah, I don't see Bow being gay and Glimmer is maybe bi at most. I'm not 100% but at least the first half or so of the season seemed indicate to me that Bow and Glimmer are probably going to wind up like Ron and Hermione as a romance at some point. Jury is still out on that though.

On the other hand, Adora definitely seems to have a thing for the fairer sex. Nothing too explicit so far though.

I'm betting Adora is Bi, love everyone etc. Kind of like Wonder Woman.

Her love interest in the old show was Sea Hawk but I dont see that happening in this show

Oct 25, 2017
Can we just say poor Kyle? He just wanted a friend.

Also..

Is He-Man, Kyle?

Poor Kyle... ;___;

I'd need to rewatch the episode, but probably not. Judging by the interviews I've read, it's probably a safe bet not to expect seeing He-Man in the show anytime soon. It'll happen when it happens.

On a different note, just sharing what is probably the single queerest moment in Season 1 by a country mile:

tumblr_pi5jd93ZD91uotxh7_500.gif

Yes, I get that the context here is Catra goading Adora into fighting her in the neutral zone and keep her distracted while others enact her plan. But the color of the lighting, their body language, even the implications of the dialogue? It's all pointing rather heavily to the idea that these two are both attracted to one another beyond just "best friends"/"rivals."

That's probably the single most blatantly queer moment involving a main character that I've ever seen in a family friendly Western animated show. And to think, Korrasami hooking up was only four years ago! Look how far we've come there!

I'm betting Adora is Bi, love everyone etc. Kind of like Wonder Woman.

Her love interest in the old show was Sea Hawk but I dont see that happening in this show

Yeah, Adora being bi fits with a lot of the subtle "bi lighting" that appears through out the season, including the moment I just mentioned in Episode 8. Pretty sure at this point Adora's love interest is Catra, but if I'm right about that, it's going to be a verrrryyyyyy long road before that actually starts taking off in a healthy way. Catra's basically set as this show's Zuko though.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Idolization and crushing tend to run along the same lines, and in a show as blatantly queer-coded as this one, I'm more likely to er to the side of Bow having a crush rather than it being simple admiration. Also the sea shanty when they are on the boat has Bow looking up at Seahawk with his hands on his thigh and a purple flag with hearts and Seahawk's face waving.

Of course nothing can confirm anything one way or another, so it's really up to interpretation at this point. As a bi person colored by my own experiences and expectations going into this show, my read on the show is going to be vastly different than somebody else's, anyways.

The show is meant to be very LGBT-friendly, though, especially with Noelle Stevenson as the show runner.

The younger characters are all young teens (15/16) so there isn't much to be done there. The adult characters don't look 13, though. And Glimmer's mom is immortal so she isn't meant to look any older than she does.

Last edited:

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
As someone who is a HUGE fan of the original show (favourite cartoon of all time), I was cautiously optimistic about this reboot, and 4 episodes in I am enjoying it mostly.

I can live with the style they've gone for (best I could hope for from a modern cartoon), and the backgrounds/world is absolutely gorgeous.

The redesigns and characterisation are very hit and miss with me. Adora is fantastic, I love her. Bow is great too. But Glimmer I'm finding quite annoying and I'm not into the Razz redesign.
And I'm totally for making it more diverse in terms of representation and body types etc, but in some instances it feels a little forced.
Like Spinnerella being a larger girl doesn't really gel with her gimmick, she should be an athletic type.

The Horde doesn't seem like the threat that it should be yet, I hope they ramp that up.

I like all the subtle nods to the old show and easter eggs, but a little disappointed that it means certain characters are reduced to inanimate cameos.

Foov

Oct 25, 2017
Idolization and crushing tend to run along the same lines, and in a show as blatantly queer-coded as this one, I'm more likely to err to the side of Bow having a crush rather than it being simple admiration. Also the sea shanty when they are on the boat has Bow looking up at Seahawk with his hands on his thigh and a purple flag with hearts and Seahawk's face waving.

Of course nothing can confirm anything one way or another, so it's really up to interpretation at this point. As a bi person colored by my own experiences and expectations going into this show, my read on the show is going to be vastly different than somebody else's, anyways.

The show is meant to be very LGBT-friendly, though, especially with Noelle Stevenson as the show runner.

The younger characters are all young teens (15/16) so there isn't much to be done there. The adult characters don't look 13, though. And Glimmer's mom is immortal so she isn't meant to look any older than she does.

I agree, while there aren't any overt references to same-sex relationships, what they are trying to do subtly... isn't really subtle. My favourite line so far is Catra saying, in reference to Adora: "It's just a phase. She's confused..."

There are many examples of same sex characters coupling up, holding hands, etc in the background. And the show loves the colour palette of the lesbian pride flag - it uses it consistently, especially in scenes involving two women that can be interpreted as romantic.

Oct 28, 2017
Need to watch this as soon as I get home. The gay levels are out of this world!
This is the thing I left out of my review. It is blatantly subtle, if that combination of words even works together. People who are clued into gay representation on TV are going to feel like The Gayness of She-Ra is hitting them on the head with a hammer, meanwhile the straights will swear that there's no gayness and that everyone is "just good friends/frenemies".

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018
That's probably the single most blatantly queer moment involving a main character that I've ever seen in a family friendly Western animated show. And to think, Korrasami hooking up was only four years ago! Look how far we've come there!

I've seen a dance at a lesbian wedding that was less blatantly gay, jeez!

(okay, both women involved were straight, so that's why, but still)

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Mermista is my spirit animal haha. I love that Vella Lovell got to play basically the same character as she does in Crazy Ex Girlfriend.

I haven't finished it yet, but Shadow Weaver is Mara, right?
No. The show mentions it a couple times but she's
disgraced enchantress Light Weaver, who got tempted by "dark" magic. Unfortunately, it's never actually explained what was so tempting about this magic, what makes it dark, nor why the other magicians cast her out for practicing it.
Which is kind of disappointing to me. I guess it might be asking too much of a children's cartoon to have fleshed out motivations for the bad guys. They're either evil just to be evil, or because it's all they know and they're just following orders.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
4 episodes in and yes Catra is the best part of the show, I love Hero Villain romance when done right

pauloshinobi

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Watched The Secret of The Sword over and over again when I was a kid.

This show is definetely not for me, although it is pretty clear that they made a great job in reimagining the characters and plot. I can see that kids will like it a lot.

Phonomezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really don't like the masculine She-Ra design (shorts ?) and the walking gay stereotype with the bow.

The transformation is underwhelming and a bit boring.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I said it before but this transformation leans way too hard on Sailor Moon and yeah it's kinda boring but at least there's a pick and choosing of when they show it. I feel the same way about the theme but seeing it in the show, it's fine.

I'm more shocked that people think that a queer woman writing and running a show would toss in visual gags that are queer-coded just for the gag.

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/she-ra/277531/she-ra-the-next-step-in-queer-representation
Nice snarky response you got there, I was only referring to Bow wearing a wrap in the same manner as his normal top and nah reading more into it sounds like something coming from moral panic/Fredric Wertham Seduction of the Innocent shit but if you're Trans and you view it that way then cool. I'm not denying Bow having some sort of crush on Sea Hawk because that was kinda obvious and besides even as a kid no one could ever convince me that the original Bow was 100% straight so this version being Bi would be fitting. Catra definitely has some not so low key, though IMO unrequited, more than a friend feelings for Adora.

Last edited:

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I really don't like the masculine She-Ra design (shorts ?) and the walking gay stereotype with the bow.

The transformation is underwhelming and a bit boring.
The She-Ra transformation depends on who the person is. Adora's transformation looks different from Mara's, for example. And Adora is a gay army brat, so she probably doesn't give a fuck what straight dudes think of her.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I watched first couple of episodes, my son likes it. I just am thinking is there really any point calling it She-Ra.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the first two episodes, hadn't noticed until now (that is, i didn't pick this up from the pre release images) that She-ra is bigger than Adora, tho wish they also made her a bit beefier rather than just taller, Glimmer's design has more beef, lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen a dance at a lesbian wedding that was less blatantly gay, jeez!

(okay, both women involved were straight, so that's why, but still)

Ha! Also great avatar choice!

4 episodes in and yes Catra is the best part of the show, I love Hero Villain romance when done right
They won't even have to change their last names when they get married!
Cat-ra wants Adora so bad.

I am so relieved that this seems to be the common consensus here. It's so damn obvious watching the show that this is where things are going to go somewhere down the road. And it's especially great that this relationship is basically the beating heart of the show.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My partner and I enjoyed the first two episodes -- FWIW, I've only seen an episode or two of the original series outside of He-Man crossovers, but my partner loved the original.

I do like that it's more "serious" and coherent than the random elements that dominate Lumberjanes. I'll try to watch later episodes with my 3.5 year old (who went to bed early today).

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Fun little show with some great characters. Particularly enjoyed Shadow Weaver, Scorpia, and Kyle. Poor Kyle. Someone please help Kyle.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really like how LGBT relationships are so common that it's subtle, but not because they aren't shown "for the sake of the story" but are so common in both background, character arcs, and characters that no one talks about it because it's just everyday life.

Finished watching the entire thing. Really enjoyed it and hope that it continues.

Poor Kyle... ;___;

I'd need to rewatch the episode, but probably not. Judging by the interviews I've read, it's probably a safe bet not to expect seeing He-Man in the show anytime soon. It'll happen when it happens.

On a different note, just sharing what is probably the single queerest moment in Season 1 by a country mile:

tumblr_pi5jd93ZD91uotxh7_500.gif

Yes, I get that the context here is Catra goading Adora into fighting her in the neutral zone and keep her distracted while others enact her plan. But the color of the lighting, their body language, even the implications of the dialogue? It's all pointing rather heavily to the idea that these two are both attracted to one another beyond just "best friends"/"rivals."

Yeah, Adora being bi fits with a lot of the subtle "bi lighting" that appears through out the season, including the moment I just mentioned in Episode 8. Pretty sure at this point Adora's love interest is Catra, but if I'm right about that, it's going to be a verrrryyyyyy long road before that actually starts taking off in a healthy way. Catra's basically set as this show's Zuko though.

I'm surprised you didn't use this scene for that:

tumblr_pi641884fV1u7cl06o3_r1_540.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I really like how LGBT relationships are so common that it's subtle, but not because they aren't shown "for the sake of the story" but are so common in both background, character arcs, and characters that no one talks about it because it's just everyday life.

Finished watching the entire thing. Really enjoyed it and hope that it continues.

Well, we know for a fact that we're getting a Season 2, since Glimmer's VA accidentally spoiled

that Bow has two dads at New York Comic Con a few weeks back and we never saw them in Season 1.

Hopefully the wait won't be too long!

I'm surprised you didn't use this scene for that:

tumblr_pi641884fV1u7cl06o3_r1_540.gif

That's a very close second place IMO and a great followup to the moment I mentioned!

Oct 25, 2017
I NEED a fight scene where She-Ra gives Catra the ol'
tumblr_musfl97B0I1skz4nto1_500.gif

Seriously sometimes you just need to whoop a (ex) friend's ass because you gave them so many chances and they still fuckin up

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished episode 8 and holy shit, the ship tease between Adora/Catra is on a rampage.

Seriously. That tension between them is ridiculous.

Seriously sometimes you just need to whoop a (ex) friend's ass because you gave them so many chances and they still fuckin up

Definitely seems like it's bound to happen eventually. Catra's pretty much set for the eventual Zuko redemption arc, I think. Just not sure when that'll happen exactly.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
One of my Canadian friends is obsessed with She-Ra and always finds it weird how none of our friendship group has heard of her lmao

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017

For Catra it's at least understandable, she was abused to the point were she was fighting for Shadow Weaver's admiration even while hating and fearing her