• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pauloshinobi

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I always wonder why most of these cartoons portrays parents as being so lousy and useless and bossed around by their kids. Queen Angela is just terrible.

Oct 25, 2017
Her and Entrapta are giving me life right now.
Scorpia is my favoirfa character in any medium.

I really appreciate how likeable Scorpia and Entrapta both are. Neither of them are evil for the sake of being evil.

And it's nice that part of Adora's long-term quest involves her having to get them both to join the Rebellion to unite all of the Princesses and restore balance in Etheria.

Also, it would seem that apparently Kyle's in a background relationship with the Lizard Guy in Adora and Catra's old squad.

https://twitter.com/mickequ/status/1062808018629287936
hehehehe i'm glad somebody finally noticed the team's treasured bg ship :3

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
I amend my statement. Somebody please help Kyle and his lizard boyfriend.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Scorpia and Entrapta are great, Scorpia is another voice that I immediately knew who she was (Lauren Ash) mainly because of Superstore. I do wonder if they're going to eventually have Adora get brainwashed to rejoin the Horde for a bit since they didn't and she flipped in like a minute. In the original series Adora was kept under a spell from Shadow Weaver to prevent that.

Should this be moved to the Hangouts

Why? It just came out. Other active season/series threads don't get moved there.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Saw the first two episodes. First impressions:

- Best thing about this show are the character interactions. The main trio of Adora, Bow and Glimmer work great together, and the chemistry between Adora and Catra is amazing. I think I enjoyed the interactions between Adora and Bow during the festival the best, mainly due to the humor as well as the facial expressions (Loved when Adora first saw the horse). Glimmer is pretty adorable herself (and the fact she's voiced by Alondra Hidalgo in the Latin American Spanish dub endears her to me greatly).

- The background and scenery art is gorgeous. I loved a lot of the wide shots showcasing the various places, and the vivid coloring added a lot.

- While I do think a lot of the characters look okay (Glimmer and Catra look quite pretty), I said back in the original trailer reveal that a lot of the characters (particularly the faces) look generic and samey, and that hasn't changed. The animation itself is okay, but nothing too special. It does its job.

- One thing I thought was great is how exposition was kept to a minimum and we cut to the important almost immediately. We establish everything important and after some proper character interaction we get to the action. Good stuff. Although there were some pacing issues in a couple of scenes, like when Adora and Catra steal the ship and arrive at the woods, we see them barely at the edge of the forest then suddenly they're lost in the middle of the woods. I don't know, that felt weird for some reason.

I'll watch the rest of the episodes between Twitch streams and try to be done by the weekend. This show had my interest when I saw the trailer, but now it has my attention.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Enjoyed season 1 a ton. Next season will hopefully have some room to breathe for some characters now they have some room to breathe.

Oct 25, 2017
I love (in no particular order) Mermista, Scorpio, Catra, Bow, Kyle, Lizard Boyfriend, and Adora and Seahawk.

That's a pretty solid hit rate for a show.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Saw the first two episodes. First impressions:

- Best thing about this show are the character interactions. The main trio of Adora, Bow and Glimmer work great together, and the chemistry between Adora and Catra is amazing. I think I enjoyed the interactions between Adora and Bow during the festival the best, mainly due to the humor as well as the facial expressions (Loved when Adora first saw the horse). Glimmer is pretty adorable herself (and the fact she's voiced by Alondra Hidalgo in the Latin American Spanish dub endears her to me greatly).

- The background and scenery art is gorgeous. I loved a lot of the wide shots showcasing the various places, and the vivid coloring added a lot.

- While I do think a lot of the characters look okay (Glimmer and Catra look quite pretty), I said back in the original trailer reveal that a lot of the characters (particularly the faces) look generic and samey, and that hasn't changed. The animation itself is okay, but nothing too special. It does its job.

- One thing I thought was great is how exposition was kept to a minimum and we cut to the important almost immediately. We establish everything important and after some proper character interaction we get to the action. Good stuff. Although there were some pacing issues in a couple of scenes, like when Adora and Catra steal the ship and arrive at the woods, we see them barely at the edge of the forest then suddenly they're lost in the middle of the woods. I don't know, that felt weird for some reason.

I'll watch the rest of the episodes between Twitch streams and try to be done by the weekend. This show had my interest when I saw the trailer, but now it has my attention.

SOLD

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first 5 episodes and it's pretty good. The start was really bad but the show really picks up by the third episode and by the fifth i was invested. None of the characters are particularly interesting, but they have great chemistry together and are really entertaining. I'm looking forward to finishing the season.

The character design deserves a mention for how awful it is. I like the variety of skin colors and body types, but the faces look really same-y and they aren't drawn well. Animation is also rough and a bit choppy. I hope the next season fares better on this front.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Just whatever you do, don't try to keep track of the sword on Adora's back. Yes, it will disappear and reappear shot after shot after shot. Yes, you'll go mad if you let it bother you.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
So what's the rule going to be about episode discussion? So far it's been kind of open but are we putting things behind spoilers or not?

Just whatever you do, don't try to keep track of the sword on Adora's back. Yes, it will disappear and reappear shot after shot after shot. Yes, you'll go mad if you let it bother you.
Yeah, I tried really hard to ignore it.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
I can only find 1 Loo-kee reference.
When Madame Razz pack her basket

Anyone else see him ?

Oct 25, 2017
It means the show is about as straight as a lightning bolt.

That's an amazing description right there.

I really love the color palette of the show. Lots of pastel tones.

I also really like the voice cast. Lots of atypical choices and so much color too!

Yeah, the color palette- hell the show's Moebius-meets-Miyazaki aesthetic in general is great. While I get people's complaints that some of the animation could use more detail and shadow, I think it's worth crediting this team for some very memorable and impressive designs here.

Seriously, the cast is nuts. I'm still reeling from the fact that Glitter is voiced by Katana from the 2016 Suicide Squad movie. Karen Fukuhara sounds so different in that role! But honestly I think the two scene stealers among the cast have to be Aimee Carrero (Adora) and AJ Michalka (Catra). Partially because they're the two given the best material to work with, but they nail their scenes together.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Catra is the primary antagonist. She gets a lot of screen time. And she is awesome.
I dare say she may even be a deuteragonist to Adora not antagonist. The Horde and their leadership fills the role of the antagonist nicely. Catra is featured in every episode and has tons of character development.

Some notes on the first season (Spoilers ahead. Duh)
- Great chemistry with the main cast
- Every Princess has a unique personality that really makes them stand out even before the new character redesigns
- Speaking of which all the new designs are pretty great with a wide range of different female body types represented. Scorpia and Glimmer being highlights.
- Not going to lie. I looked up Entrapta after the escape episode and I was surprised she started a bad guy. I wonder how that will play out when the other princess' find she is alive.
- Back on topic, I find it ironic out of all the characters of the show Adora gets most of her stuff shoved off into season 2.
- Swift Wind is great and I hope to hear more horse activism in the future. The fact he can talk with everyone is a big change but it gives the cast one more person to bounce off of. Shame he appeared so late.
- Spinnerella and Nettossa are clearly a lesbian couple and they aren't even really hiding it much oh my god.
- I really hope there is another Catra and Adore bottle episode in the future like they had in Episode 11 "Promise" Easily the best episode of the series.
- Frosta just kind of showed up at the end. I get the horde tried to destroy her palace so she would come for reinforcements but she played such a small role. I hope she gets more focus down the line.
- Perfuma seems like Starfire's soul got swapped into her. Am I the only one who thinks this?
- Nice to see there is an overaching plot. Here is hoping for a solid series run.
- Adora, girl, I know you are the Princess of Power and all but stop taking tank shells to the chest.
- Now the cast has been fleshed out Season 2 will hopefully have some room to breathe and flesh out the rest of the cast while giving us some lore bombs.
- Wow, Light Hope you are just, the worst. Funny. But terrible.

Oct 25, 2017
You ain't lying. No spoilers, but I just hit episode 11 and they really kill it. This is definitely one of my favorite first seasons of anything and probably my favorite Netflix debut of 2018

It's a tough call between She-Ra and Sabrina for me. Both appeal to two drastically different styles of storytelling and genres that I adore. I definitely think I'll be rewatching She-Ra more often than Sabrina though.

I dare say she may even be a deuteragonist to Adora not antagonist. The Horde and their leadership fills the role of the antagonist nicely. Catra is featured in every episode and has tons of character development.

- Every Princess has a unique personality that really makes them stand out even before the new character redesigns
- Speaking of which all the new designs are pretty great with a wide range of different female body types represented. Scorpia and Glimmer being highlights.
- Not going to lie. I looked up Entrapta after the escape episode and I was surprised she started a bad guy. I wonder how that will play out when the other princess' find she is alive.
- Back on topic, I find it ironic out of all the characters of the show Adora gets most of her stuff shoved off into season 2.
- Swift Wind is great and I hope to hear more horse activism in the future. The fact he can talk with everyone is a big change but it gives the cast one more person to bounce off of. Shame he appeared so late.
- Spinnerella and Nettossa are clearly a lesbian couple and they aren't even really hiding it much oh my god.
- I really hope there is another Catra and Adore bottle episode in the future like they had in Episode 11 "Promise" Easily the best episode of the series.
- Frosta just kind of showed up at the end. I get the horde tried to destroy her palace so she would come for reinforcements but she played such a small role. I hope she gets more focus down the line.
- Perfuma seems like Starfire's soul got swapped into her. Am I the only one who thinks this?
- Nice to see there is an overaching plot. Here is hoping for a solid series run.
- Adora, girl, I know you are the Princess of Power and all but stop taking tank shells to the chest.
- Now the cast has been fleshed out Season 2 will hopefully have some room to breathe and flesh out the rest of the cast while giving us some lore bombs.

Yeah, I think Catra as the deuteragonist sounds about right, but I'm not 100% sure. I'd say there's probably a solid 85% chance Catra winds up being this show's Zuko and gets a lengthy, well-executed redemption arc somewhere down the road, while the remaining 15% lies in the possibility that Catra winds up pulling a Kylo Ren on everyone and usurps Hordak as the main antagonist. But we'll see what happens there.

Plus, assuming Catra gets her redemption arc, I think it's a safe bet she also winds up being Adora's love interest. This season had some very overt moments between them and they were already sharing a bed together back in the very first episode before Adora's journey began.

pauloshinobi

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Kinda weird how the last two princesses (the net girl and her girlfriend) barely had time to be properly introduced. Where they mentioned in previous episodes or something?

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda weird how the last two princesses (the net girl and her girlfriend) barely had time to be properly introduced. Where they mentioned in previous episodes or something?

They're briefly introduced in one of the earlier episodes as the only two Princesses who bother to show up at Queen Angella's meetings, I think. We'll probably learn more about them in Season 2, now that the opening story arc is wrapped up and allows for the large group of heroes to start interacting with one another more frequently moving forward.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Perfuma is supposed to be a 1960/70s flower power hippie.

malyse

Community Resetter
So can we all agree that episode 11 was the best of the show?

Also
Perfuma and Entrapta bouncing off each other was the best.

Oh and BTW: don't expect much He-Man or Eternia. There's rights issues.
It's a tough call between She-Ra and Sabrina for me. Both appeal to two drastically different styles of storytelling and genres that I adore. I definitely think I'll be rewatching She-Ra more often than Sabrina though

Even though I like the show in particular for being to progressive and subversive, there were also problematic parts for me. Like, no one thought that maybe hanging your most prominent black character from a tree would be a bad look? And I'm supposed to cheer about this?
Don't get me wrong, I generally like the show but it felt like they didn't stick all the landings.

Edit: Also I loved how powerful She-Ra was in her fight scenes. Like she tanks and no sells attacks in ways you typically only see portrayed by male characters.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It means the show is about as straight as a lightning bolt.
Some rainbows are straighter.

This just gets better and better.

tumblr_pi5jd93ZD91uotxh7_500.gif

Such an awesome moment!

So can we all agree that episode 11 was the best of the show?

Easily. The show is always at its best when it focuses in on Adora and Catra. That episode especially proved that point.

Also
Perfuma and Entrapta bouncing off each other was the best.

Oh and BTW: don't expect much He-Man or Eternia. There's rights issues.

Huh. Didn't know about that. I mean, Noelle Stevenson's already confirmed in interviews that He-Man won't be much of a factor at all in the show because she wants to keep this Adora's story, but we already got an Eternia nod early on Season 1 IIRC.

Even though I like the show in particular for being to progressive and subversive, there were also problematic parts for me. Like, no one thought that maybe hanging your most prominent black character from a tree would be a bad look? And I'm supposed to cheer about this?
Don't get me wrong, I generally like the show but it felt like they didn't stick all the landings.

That's definitely a fair criticism.

malyse

Community Resetter
I'm curious if Noelle just didn't want to write a big role for her character, subconsciously or not.
Yeah, I think Catra as the deuteragonist sounds about right, but I'm not 100% sure. I'd say there's probably a solid 85% chance Catra winds up being this show's Zuko and gets a lengthy, well-executed redemption arc somewhere down the road, while the remaining 15% lies in the possibility that Catra winds up pulling a Kylo Ren on everyone and usurps Hordak as the main antagonist. But we'll see what happens there.

Plus, assuming Catra gets her redemption arc, I think it's a safe bet she also winds up being Adora's love interest. This season had some very overt moments between them and they were already sharing a bed together back in the very first episode before Adora's journey began.

I would be interested in a Kylo arc in opposed to a Zuko one simply because it feels more rare/less predictable. Plus Adora wanting to save her friend despite everything seems like it could be mined for drama with the other princesses later. I am assuming it never gets to Sasuke levels.

Also: I like that this show doesn't feel derivative of ATLA. Both Dragon Prince and Voltron have a certain familiarity to them that She-Ra doesn't have, if that makes sense.