• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
i was a total moron during the Barber Shop QTE,
I was like WTF is wrong with me? hahahaha I must have tried 100 times never to think about the real solution then I was ahhhhhhh

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
Not even a remaster? Just an HD port? I didn't hope for a remake but at least a remastered edition with high res models and textures...

Oct 25, 2017
So many years, but we did it!

A nice clean port with dual audio is all I ever wanted. All the original assets intact, and untouched.

My only nitpick is the new clock. It looks a bit out of place due to it's high resolution.

An option to toggle between the new UI and the original would be a great little bonus.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Here's hoping beating Chai in the arcade isn't a trophy or achievement!

Great news. It's been about 6 years since the rumour first started about them but it's better late than never. Which goes for pretty much everything when you're a Shenmue fan.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What? The Xbox version is missing content? I know based on the Digital Foundry video the Xbox version is by far technically superior.

LOL digital foundry said they were technically superior? They totally missed the boat.

Shenmue II on the XBox is missing hundreds of textures and lots of the geometry is changed. The only major improvements are that the crowd draw distance is further, the sun flare is made up of more polygons, and the framerate dips less.

examples:

Dreamcast:
SII.005.DCc.jpg

Xbox:
SII.005.XBc.jpg

Texture for sign on the door is missing

Dreamcast:
SII.037b.DC.jpg

Xbox:
SII.037b.XB.jpg

Entire gate is missing

Dreamcast:
SII.010.DCc.jpg

Xbox:
SII.010.XBc.jpg

Texture is rotated incorrectly

Dreamcast:
SII.064.DC.jpg

Xbox:
SII.064.XB.jpg

Object geometry is placed incorrectly

Dreamcast:
SII.066.DC.jpg

Xbox:
SII.066.XB.jpg

The geometry of the roof is clipping through the wall on the Xbox version

Dreamcast:
SII.067.DC.jpg

Xbox:
SII.067.XB.jpg

The geometry for the back wall of the shack is incorrectly placed behind the brick wall, making it invisible

Dreamcast:
SII.012.DCc.jpg

Xbox:
SII.012.XBc.jpg

Many of the signs in the sky have been removed

Dreamcast:
SII.013.DC.jpg

Xbox:
SII.013.XB.jpg

Likely owing to the way the DC handles transparency (it uses a painter's algorithm) virtually all transparent objects are now opaque in the Xbox version

Dreamcast:
SII.021.DC.jpg

Xbox:
SII.021.XB.jpg

Another example of transparency missing

And so forth. The Xbox version has these types of cuts EVERYWHERE. Missing textures, missing geometry, missing transparency. Shame on DF if they missed all this. These are just a few readily available examples from Shenmue Dojo, the Xbox game is full of these changes.

deroli

Nov 5, 2017
Germany
Great news! I doubt the original Shenmue would hold up in today's gaming world so I'm really glad they include a modern control scheme. From a technical point of view, they should try to increase the draw distance of characters because that irritated me even back then. Other than that, I'd be fine with a resolution bump.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Wonder if eventually some dedicated guys will do a project for the PC version updating all the textures etc.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Great news! I doubt the original Shenmue would hold up in today's gaming world so I'm really glad they include a modern control scheme. From a technical point of view, they should try to increase the draw distance of characters because that irritated me even back then. Other than that, I'd be fine with a resolution bump.
these games are not for them, they are for us!

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how these games have aged. I am happy they have been announced, but they waited this long and it seems like a minimum effort port. They should at least update the visuals...When I played the game like 14 years ago it looked great.

master15

Nov 28, 2017
Absolutely amazing. Folks like us at the Dojo have been asking for this for many, many years it's hard to believe this is now a reality. Can't wait for this.

Oct 30, 2017
Wow.... this is great news!!

now I can really wait for Shenmue 3 since I can now play the first two.

I know Shenmue 1 and 2 are great games and I almost bought a Dreamcast back in the day for them.... but....

How well will Shenmue 1 & 2 holds up in 2018? Story and characters and Music and gameplay and art direction... compared to modern games, will they feel updated?

I know the games are great but I am hesitating to jump in... can you guys please sell me on the Shenmue universe ?

Spwni

Oct 27, 2017
So cool! I've seen Shenmue 1 played through, but I've always been interested to play through these games myself. Will definitely buy the games.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
These games ages well but yeah, port effort looks minimum to me.

Which I find a bit cynical of Sega. I mean we got Outcast which was from the same time as the original Shenmue and equally ambitious, and they at least gave it a big visual update, on what I am sure was a very limited budget. This...to my mind is shoddy. Happy it is released, but will only get it depending on the price. It should cost about £15 max...At full price? No chance

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Story and characters and Music and gameplay and art direction... compared to modern games, will they feel updated?

as far as I'm concerned, the story, art direction, and music in Shenmue has yet to be rivaled by modern games. The setting is still super unique, the story is till super engaging and not like what you see in other games, and the music is phenomenal.

Check this out, even mundane events like arm wrestling are given epic themes in Shenmue:

Shenmue is no joke.

WITHE1982

Oct 28, 2017
Nice to wake up at 7am to this.

I'm so, so happy to be able to play these again. It'll also be the first time ill get to finish the second game.

I'm not overly concerned about it being a straight port. As long as the frame rate is stable and the controls updated i'm happy.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Which I find a bit cynical of Sega. I mean we got Outcast which was from the same time as the original Shenmue and equally ambitious, and they at least gave it a big visual update, on what I am sure was a very limited budget. This...to my mind is shoddy. Happy it is released, but will only get it depending on the price. It should cost about £15 max...At full price? No chance
No hecking way this will be released in full price. Cant imagine the backlash

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are there near impossible QTE in this game? I hate that shit.

No, Shenmue has arguably better QTE than just about any game before or after. For one, most QTEs are branching, so if you fail them, you don't start over, but rather the sequence changes and you have to live with the consequences. As such, there are actually not that many QTEs you can outright fail in the game, and those are usually the ones very related to key events. And even then, the timing for the QTEs is great -- Yu Suzuki was known for how great his arcade games feel, and he approached QTE the same way, with huge arcade style prompts that tend to match the on-screen action and large input windows with good visual and audio feedback to let you know you did the input correctly.

Also, Shenmue II subverts QTE is an honestly genius way.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow.... this is great news!!

now I can really wait for Shenmue 3 since I can now play the first two.

I know Shenmue 1 and 2 are great games and I almost bought a Dreamcast back in the day for them.... but....

How well will Shenmue 1 & 2 holds up in 2018? Story and characters and Music and gameplay and art direction... compared to modern games, will they feel updated?

I know the games are great but I am hesitating to jump in... can you guys please sell me on the Shenmue universe ?

Actually, just read this post I wrote a few pages back:

Shenmue is, no joke, the father of modern gaming. Just about everything you can think of that is common in AAA games today, was pioneered in Shenmue. Even little things you wouldn't expect, like procedural generating forests, stems from Shenmue. When Shenmue was in production, it was something that was literally 15 years too early. Insanely ground breaking.

In terms of gameplay, it's a mix of an adventure game kinda like Heavy Rain, albeit more open, and an action RPG, with the combat itself being lifted from Virtua Fighter. You train, you level up, you learn new moves. In Shenmue I, the focus is on day to day living, perhaps more like harvest moon or any other daily sim game, but shenmue II is much more of a story focused game, with a much bigger emphasis on underground fighting tournaments. There isn't much combat in shenmue I, where shenmue II is full of it.

Unfortunately, the format shift between shenmue I and shenmue II ruined some of the more ambitious aspects. Example, even though there isn't much fighting in Shenmue I, there is a dojo where you can train and level up, and the game highly encourages it. THis is because, when you get to shenmue II, the moves you learned carried over, so you'd have a custom-made fighter for Shenmue II that would affect your approach to the underground fighting tournaments. But since Shenmue I was on the dreamcast, and shenmue II in the us was on the xbox, they couldn't transfer saves, and thus they just basically gave you all the moves in the US version of shenmue II, ruining the character-building.

The story itself is classic wuxia kung fu. It begins grounded with a mystery -- you come home and see your father murdered before your eyes by a chinese man named Lan Di. Your father, who was a martial arts master, hands of a sacred mirror to Lan Di before Lan Di performs a forbidden and fatal technique on your father. In his last dying moments, he begs you to keep your friends close. Ryo vows in that moment to avenge his father's death.

Pretty much all of Shenmue I is focused on beginning your adventure, i.e. raising money to travel to china to begin your quest. As such, it's kinda light on story. You discover that the mirror your father handed over was part of a pair, and that he had hidden the other mirror on the grounds of his dojo which Ryo finds. These mirrors are ancient magics, and it's said whoever holds both of them can summon a dragon that will devour the world.

Shenmue II is where everything really kicks into high gear. Ryo travels to china and finds out more about Lan Di, the mirror, and his own destiny. Throughout Shenmue I and II there is a repeated legend that is narrated:

He shall appear from a far eastern land across the sea,
A young man who has yet to know his potential,
This potential is a power that could either destroy him or realize his will,
His courage shall determine his fate,
The path he must traverse, fraught with adversity, I await whilst praying,
For this destiny predetermined since ancient times,
A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light,
And thus the saga… Begins…

You uncover that your father and Lan Di had a shared past, that there is a secret society of martial arts masters who are trying to gather the mirrors, and that there is a young woman living in the mountains that Ryo has been destined to meet for hundreds of years. This young woman seemingly has otherworldly powers and can communicate with nature in strange, unknown ways. In their brief time together, Ryo sees her do a number of pretty weird, mystical things.

Along the way, you also go through a surprisingly star-wars like adventure. You meet Ren of Heavens, for example -- probably the closest Shenmue has to a Han Solo. You fight crime lords. You travel to the ancient walled city of Kowloon. It's great. Shenmue II ends with a massive, massive cliff hanger, just as the story reaches it's climax. That's why people have been dying for it.

The other side of why this is such a requested series is because of YU SUZUKI. This is his magnum opus. His life's work. Yu Suzuki is Mr. Sega. Think of a classic sega game that ISN'T Sonic or Shinobi, and Yu Suzuki was involved. Yu Suzuki was the heart and soul of Sega's arcade empire. Hang On, Space Harrier, Outrun, Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighter, Daytona USA, etc -- all Yu Suzuki. Shenmue was basically the last thing he was ever allowed to work on. When the Dreamcast died, Sega's best developer was given a "window seat" where he was technically still an employee, but not allowed to make anything. For 20 years, he was on the "window seat." Imagine if Shigeru Miyamoto disappeared after Mario 64 and wasn't allowed to make games. THat's what happened with Yu Suzuki.

Shenmue III is Yu Suzuki's grand return to gaming. And Shenmue III is being made by a restored version of AM2, his classic team.

The hype for Shenmue III is real.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
if i was more emotional i'd cry. this looks like the best reissue this year by far. i just replayed the series last year so the games are still fresh in my mind but who cares. it'll be good to knock down the trophies for them. never finished the first game in japanese, so this will be the best opportunity as well. shenmue will never die, you guys better appreciate.

just don't mess up the port and we're good.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
No, Shenmue has arguably better QTE than just about any game before or after. For one, most QTEs are branching, so if you fail them, you don't start over, but rather the sequence changes and you have to live with the consequences. As such, there are actually not that many QTEs you can outright fail in the game, and those are usually the ones very related to key events. And even then, the timing for the QTEs is great -- Yu Suzuki was known for how great his arcade games feel, and he approached QTE the same way, with huge arcade style prompts that tend to match the on-screen action and large input windows with good visual and audio feedback to let you know you did the input correctly.

Also, Shenmue II subverts QTE is an honestly genius way.
How is the battle system?

starfox

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portugal
LOL digital foundry said they were technically superior? They totally missed the boat.

Shenmue II on the XBox is missing hundreds of textures and lots of the geometry is changed. The only major improvements are that the crowd draw distance is further, the sun flare is made up of more polygons, and the framerate dips less.

examples:

Dreamcast:
SII.005.DCc.jpg

Xbox:
SII.005.XBc.jpg

Texture for sign on the door is missing

Dreamcast:
SII.037b.DC.jpg

Xbox:
SII.037b.XB.jpg

Entire gate is missing

Dreamcast:
SII.010.DCc.jpg

Xbox:
SII.010.XBc.jpg

Texture is rotated incorrectly

Dreamcast:
SII.064.DC.jpg

Xbox:
SII.064.XB.jpg

Object geometry is placed incorrectly

Dreamcast:
SII.066.DC.jpg

Xbox:
SII.066.XB.jpg

The geometry of the roof is clipping through the wall on the Xbox version

Dreamcast:
SII.067.DC.jpg

Xbox:
SII.067.XB.jpg

The geometry for the back wall of the shack is incorrectly placed behind the brick wall, making it invisible

Dreamcast:
SII.012.DCc.jpg

Xbox:
SII.012.XBc.jpg

Many of the signs in the sky have been removed

Dreamcast:
SII.013.DC.jpg

Xbox:
SII.013.XB.jpg

Likely owing to the way the DC handles transparency (it uses a painter's algorithm) virtually all transparent objects are now opaque in the Xbox version

Dreamcast:
SII.021.DC.jpg

Xbox:
SII.021.XB.jpg

Another example of transparency missing

And so forth. The Xbox version has these types of cuts EVERYWHERE. Missing textures, missing geometry, missing transparency. Shame on DF if they missed all this. These are just a few readily available examples from Shenmue Dojo, the Xbox game is full of these changes.
Are you daft? these are minor alteration a port version got. Go see that shit again without your hilarious platform bias googles mode on. The biggest reason that matters to not play it, is the translation, if any.

When this HDmake was confirmed for PC&Xbone just minutes after your grinned at the end of the trailer, did you punch the table and cited Muppet345?

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No mention of HD or Remastered on the announcement, so its a straight port?

It's not a straight port, since you can select voices in english and japanese, and that's not nearly as simple as it sounds. There is a mod for the Dreamcast version of Shenmue I that inserts JPN audio and keeps English subtitles that reveals how this isn't a painless process. The mod breaks in several instances, because the audio has hooks that the game engine uses to move the mouths for the characters. If you drop the JPN audio in the US version of Shenmue, lots of animations break, and sometimes the opposite happens, where the mouth animation dictates the speed which the audio plays, so some audio clips will play like 2 to 3 times too fast.

Working in the JPN audio is actually a significant change which means, no, this isn't a straight port.

Bond

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Hello yeah! Picking up this collection on day zero. I have always wanted to experience the series but never had the Dreamcast growing up.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you fucking daft? these are alteration a port version got. Go see that shit again without your hilarious platform bias googles mode on. The biggest reason that matters to not play it, is the translation, if any.

...the conversation was about which platform is superior. I played the Xbox version originally. no "bias goggles" on (what a stupid term, btw). The DC version objectively is superior. The DC version uses the superior JPN dub with english subtitles. I'd say the translation in the Xbox version is actually fucking awful.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Really pleased to hear both are dubbed.
Is it the original dubs? Are are they being re-done do we know?

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone mentioned price?

I hope they go the Yakuza route and make special editions of it (steelbook, artbook set, etc). Imagine collectors buying 2 or 3 different variations based on retailer exclusivity, like with movie releases?

Status
Not open for further replies.