• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Descendant

Fallen Guardian
Nov 2, 2017
They can compare sales without having the games released next to eachother. For example, I'm sure they compared the Yakuza 0 sales with the Yakuza Kiwami sales, and those two games were released half a year from eachother.

I think they are purposely having the games compete with one another.

Antitype

Oct 27, 2017
I don't game on PC very often. Whats the issue with Denuvo?

The short and long of it (forget that whydenuvoisbad link, load of bullshit) is that you need to activate the game to a remote server every 15 days or so or the game will not run. It's entirely invisible to the user and you can play offline the rest of the time. The legitimate concern over this DRM (anti tamper w/e) is that someday those servers might be gone and effectively lock you out of your game. It also prevents exe modifications, so some mods are impossible, but the vast majority of mods either mod assets or use some kind of API hook and those still work with Denuvo.

Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017
Don't most publishers remove the Denuvo after a few months anyway. Especially when sales start dropping off and piracy groups crack them.
Not Sega. Sonic Mania was their first major title where they got a bunch of public backlash for it. The PC version got delayed for 2 weeks at the last minute after the console releases then it came out with Denuvo on it without prior warning. Even one of the developers behind the game got mad about it and posted on Steam that they didn't want Denuvo on it and it was all Sega management's doing, that post got removed a few hours later and you don't see said person talk much publicly anymore. Once it was cracked, the DRM never got taken off. Now, they did end up announcing the Plus DLC several months later so that could be a factor, but their PR team is aware that a bunch of people hate it. I triple dipped on that game (PC, PS4 and Switch) but after playing through the PC version maybe twice (I've played it from start to finish probably 16 times) I don't bother with that version anymore because of the 30 second launch time and excessive battery drain caused by higher CPU use due to Denuvo. To be fair, once the game is actually loaded you don't really notice any difference compared to the console versions, so it's completely playable, but I would have preferred it if they used something far less invasive and impactful like vanilla Steam DRM.

Back to Shenmue I & II, if you're just looking to play the game and PC is your only choice don't worry about Denuvo. It's a general complaint that a bunch of people have not specific to this one game. It's not going to wreck any of the actual gameplay once the game is running.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's exactly like I remember...
From my emulator playthrough last year.

Thank god we won't have the emulator bugs anymore. The image filtering looks way better though.

However, it will ruin a bit of the AM2 engine look, of the sharpness that unfiltered textures gave. Every SEGA game from the AM2 studio was like that, almost like a signature look.

Delta_Reg

Nov 13, 2017
I think Sega wants to see how well Shenmue will actually sell compared to Yakuza. They'll have first weeks sales data on both of them in 2 weeks after Shenmue 1 & 2's release. Sega definitely seems like they are testing the waters with Shenmue.
I think the choice of release date was more likely in order to coincide with whatever we'll see of Shenmue 3 at Gamescom, to entice people to jump on board Shenmue 1 and 2 right away. Gamescom starts the same day this game releases. I'm only assuming Shenmue 3 will be shown then, however.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Gamescom starts the same day this game releases. I'm only assuming Shenmue 3 will be shown then, however.
Mm. 21st is the first day the show opens for press and media. In theory that was when it was supposed to be shown last year, but Sony jumped the gun and uploaded the progress video the day before by accident.

If III is at Gamescom it'll show on the 21st, almost guaranteed.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Opening a can of worms there. You'll probably be told it's the devil incarnate about a dozen times before getting a more reasonable answer, seeing how it's become the anti-DRM brigade's bogeyman.

I can't believe BOTH threads about this game have become about fucking Denuvo whining. Embarrassing.
Denuvo is embarrassing.

Anyway, PS4 first, will buy on PC after the copy protection is cracked

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I think they are purposely having the games compete with one another.

It's not exactly a fair fight, with Shenmue being out of commission for the better part of 16 years, but I'm confident its price tag, reputation and fanbase will ensure solid digital sales.

When it comes to physical copies sold, distribution will play a huge role. I bet SEGA will ship way more copies of Kiwami 2 than Shenmue I & II. They'll play it safe until Shenmue proves itself.

Ziming

Jan 3, 2018
Shenmue I & II FAQ / Extra Info
https://youtu.be/v09t6pJxRCE

gRkHobh.jpg

Ziming

Jan 3, 2018
Does this Youtube comment explain why we don't see the shadows?

"Not that it will stop the runaway hate bandwagon already underway, but the shadows aren't "gone," they have included new post processing effects for both games, and it looks like shadows are simply "softer." We know the Shenmue 2 port is based on the Xbox version, which means stencil shadows, so it's conceivable they are trying to achieve more visual parity between the two versions. Whatever the case, the shadows are definitely not simply "gone" if you look closely at the image. Whether that's a good or a bad thing is a personal, subjective choice of course. I'm just putting it out there."

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
That comment doesn't make sense; the shadows cast by the boxes (and presumably the basket?) aren't just softened, they're gone completely -- at least in this screenshot comparison. There could be several reasons why they're different at this point so I'm not concerned. A SEGA representative has already confirmed that the game will receive at least 1 patch, saying the game's install size of 30GB could increase, so who knows what will change by day 1.

You can also tell they've implemented a subtle bloom and brightened the picture in the HD version, as the original was notoriously dark.

sproglobber

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wollongong, Australia
The best thing about this release is the inclusion of the original Japanese voice work.

The PAL Dreamcast version of shenmue 2 was so good, Xbox version with English dub was painful in comparison... Dylan for example was a complete idiot with his English voice.

I went and bought the Japanese version of shenmue 1 afterwards but it was too hard to follow without subtitles.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017

The post-processing can be turned off, even in the console version.

R.E boxes - could be a few reasons, but chiefly of all it might just be unfinished footage. Of the "new" screens released by SEGA on Monday, one had cropped up on the Japanese website in April, and one showed lighting changes that were reverted to "normal" in the trailer released Tuesday. Maybe wait for the game to actually come out before starting the "OMG IT'S DIFFERENT" side by sides.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017

The post-processing can be turned off, even in the console version.

R.E boxes - could be a few reasons, but chiefly of all it might just be unfinished footage. Of the "new" screens released by SEGA on Monday, one had cropped up on the Japanese website in April, and one showed lighting changes that were reverted to "normal" in the trailer released Tuesday. Maybe wait for the game to actually come out before starting the "OMG IT'S DIFFERENT" side by sides.

Really need a removable HUD option, especially 2.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm not sure if this has been covered, but what about motion blur in this version of Shenmue II? It was really bad in the Xbox version compared to the Dreamcast, and they've said they're basing this off the Xbox version. You can see the comparison for yourselves here:

If they haven't fixed that, I'll be seriously considering cancelling my pre-order.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm not sure if this has been covered, but what about motion blur in this version of Shenmue II? It was really bad in the Xbox version compared to the Dreamcast, and they've said they're basing this off the Xbox version. You can see the comparison for yourselves here:

If they haven't fixed that, I'll be seriously considering cancelling my pre-order.

I would think that's included in the post process option mentioned earlier.

Speaking of motion blur, did they implement a more modern version or am I thinking wrong?

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
No online features? How will I ever rise to the top of the Darts 7 once more if there are no leaderboards?! Not that I was ever at the top-top but I got up pretty decently for a time! Now I'm remembering those QTE games in the arcades, one of which was boxing I think? Good times wasting money on those! Didn't Shenmue 2 also have Outrun? Between this and the Yakuza games I'ma have access to that game at least 3 times over on the PS4 e.e;

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017

Always cracks me up to see these super niche series have such a loud fanbase of beggars only to be put off by something so miniscule, much like when Metroid returned on 3DS. Though not as bad as the 'there are 5 textures no one will ever see that aren't the same i'm canceling my pre-order' at least.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Always cracks me up to see these super niche series have such a loud fanbase of beggars only to be put off by something so miniscule, much like when Metroid returned on 3DS. Though not as bad as the 'there are 5 textures no one will ever see that aren't the same i'm canceling my pre-order' at least.
Yeah because really badly implemented motion blur in one of the most significant aspects of Shenmue II's gameplay is miniscule.

ZoronMaro

Oct 30, 2017
The complaint about 16:9 or 4:3 baffles me. They've gone back to old shows like Friends and redid them 16:9 and it looks so off, for gameplay cinematography doesn't matter so I think what they're doing is perfect.
Especially for a fanbase that seems so fervent everything be like the Dreamcast original version and don't want anything changed, it's quite the dichotomy.

Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017
I beat the Xbox version perfectly fine, the motion blur hardly caused any actual gameplay issues, or am I missing something with this new port?
If you played it on Xbox 360, that's why you didn't notice it because it wasn't there. It was one of the features broken by 360's backwards compatibility. There are some comparison videos on YouTube featuring the 3 versions. The trailer from July 3rd has a little bit of fighting in it, there is no excessive motion blur. I think it's not an issue.

I did try calling them out for aspect ratio situation on Twitter yesterday, to no response. If zoom isn't an option as they say, why was the Nozomi scene from Shenmue 1 zoomed to 16x9 (top/bottom cropped) for their PC Game Show trailer last month? That's not cool, it's very misleading for them to do it for a trailer and without any kind of acknowledgement that the actual game doesn't offer that. At the very least they should confirm that they did that for the trailer and clarify that it's not how the game can actually run since they're telling people now that you can't do that.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
If you played it on Xbox 360, that's why you didn't notice it because it wasn't there. It was one of the features broken by 360's backwards compatibility. There are some comparison videos on YouTube featuring the 3 versions. The trailer from July 3rd has a little bit of fighting in it, there is no excessive motion blur. I think it's not an issue.

I did try calling them out for aspect ratio situation on Twitter yesterday, to no response. If zoom isn't an option as they say, why was the Nozomi scene from Shenmue 1 zoomed to 16x9 (top/bottom cropped) for their PC Game Show trailer last month? That's not cool, it's very misleading for them to do it for a trailer and without any kind of acknowledgement that the actual game doesn't offer that. At the very least they should confirm that they did that for the trailer and clarify that it's not how the game can actually run since they're telling people now that you can't do that.

I beat it on the original Xbox back in the day, I remember buying it and Toejam and Earl 3 around the same time. The picky nature of some people here is just pure insanity to me, it's one thing when a game is broken or if you have some preferences, but people who would dismiss something as exceptionally rare as a release like this because of some motion blur, you might as well not call yourself a fan in my mind. It must be a really lame hobby to have when you have to nitpick such things to death rather than just enjoy them. While others were complaining about rare framedrops in BOTW I was having the gaming experience of a lifetime it felt like, despite being aware of some of its technical shortcomings. Shenmue fans before were so desperate for anything, that they wanted it to conclude in a damn comic book just to get it over with. Now we're finally getting not only a sequel but some HD enhancements and it just seems like each topic is riddled with cynicism mixed with some more appropriate sentiment.

Again, nothing wrong with pointing out issues, but to outright 'cancel your preorder', yeah, super fan there.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
So are the letterboxed scenes not going to be moved in to fit with the screen? I would assume they would, but the screenshots on the Steam page lead me to think they will not be.

Pretty excited to hear the thoughts of newcomers to the series in the coming months. I am sure there will be plenty of 'this was never good' posts, but I have a feeling the majority of new players will really enjoy themselves. I could see it resonating especially well with long time PC gamers too, for example. Get Noah Gervais on it!

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah because really badly implemented motion blur in one of the most significant aspects of Shenmue II's gameplay is miniscule.

I hope they implement a legit version of per object motion blur over using that ancient and terrible effect from the og Xbox version.

I also mentioned before, but I do like the soft haze post process filter they added. Looks nice imo. Don't use the same overdone bloom from the og Xbox. Please try to use more modern implementations.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I did try calling them out for aspect ratio situation on Twitter yesterday, to no response. If zoom isn't an option as they say, why was the Nozomi scene from Shenmue 1 zoomed to 16x9 (top/bottom cropped) for their PC Game Show trailer last month?

The developers would've had nothing to do with the creation of that trailer -- a marketing person at SEGA probably wanted all the footage in the showcase to be uniformly 16:9, as having random 4:3 shots would look inconsistent amongst the other games. With less than 10 seconds of footage, they probably didn't expect people to over-analyse it.

Also, zooming in to to crop the image is bad.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
http:///AcQc.png

Truly something I never thought I would see! I can't wait till August!

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Nope. Apparently using the higher quality sounds would require rewriting a huge amount of the game. It is a shame, as some of the music suffers due to that too and I doubt that can change that either.

I don't know if the original, uncompressed audio even exists. Some fans seem to think that because a tiny amount of cleaned up audio appeared in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, that SEGA still have the entire game's uncompressed audio backed up...but I can't find a source for that info. Maybe someone here knows?

It seems more likely to me that Sumo took the compressed audio and cleaned it up; removed background noise etc. but again, I'm not actually 100% sure.

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017
I jumped in on the Voidu deal. <$20 was the perfect price point for me. Looking forward to replaying these games!

Status
Not open for further replies.