• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Just came to say that $30 is a great price for these remasters in one package.

I paid $50 to import Shenmue II and the second disc doesn't even work...so yeah, no gamble, two games in a good new format. I was sold either way, but this is good pricing.

Lucumo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh really? So I guess the Japanese are a global audience too? But then, the American global audience didn't get Japanese voices, so they're still correct.
Why would the Japanese be a global audience if the game is from Japan? That doesn't make any sense.

-Japanese audio available for the first time for a global audience
It says "a global audience" (people outside of Japan). People in Europe are "a global audience". It's as simple as that. And it's not like I was the only person to notice that.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Do we know if it'll emulate VMU's screen somehow?

That'd be kinda cool -- they could make it a thing you access from the menu, or a second function on your wrist watch :P

But emulating the VMU is definitely not a necessity. From memory, it's only really utilised when learning moves from NPCs, and even then it only shows the combo after you've done it, I *think*...info that's readily available in the move scroll menu. It's also used as a counter in one particular fight towards the end of the game but yeah...nothing substantial.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
It says "a global audience" (people outside of Japan). People in Europe are "a global audience". It's as simple as that. And it's not like I was the only person to notice that.

But we Europeans didn't get the Japaneve audio for Shenmue I, so that sentence is right. For the first time we are getting the Japanese audio for both games.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Obviously "global audience" means for people around the globe. Europe is not the whole globe. Again, they mean a worldwide release in dual language, so that people outside Europe and Japan can enjoy the Japanese dub.

Lucumo

Oct 25, 2017
But we Europeans didn't get the Japaneve audio for Shenmue I, so that sentence is right. For the first time we are getting the Japanese audio for both games.
To be fair, that was before it was known that it's shipped as "one game". Still, now it's half right, half wrong.

Anyway, while it's nice to get Japanese audio for Shenmue, it's not worth a rebuy for me since PC gamers are getting screwed over again, due to limited to Steam and probably no physical either.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Anyway, while it's nice to get Japanese audio for Shenmue, it's not worth a rebuy for me since PC gamers are getting screwed over again, due to limited to Steam and probably no physical either.

Does that really constitute being screwed over? Most PC games don't get physical releases. Getting two games in a single, cheap package that have never been on PC before...sometimes you take the good with the bad.

Lucumo

Oct 25, 2017
Does that really constitute being screwed over? Most PC games don't get physical releases. Getting two games in a single, cheap package that have never been on PC before...sometimes you take the good with the bad.
Just because other publishers have bad practices, it doesn't mean it's ok to do the same. I get why Americans weren't into physical PC games too much since their PC gaming culture is totally different. Eventually publishers decided Europeans are the same, despite the market situation being totally different. And now we are at the point that we are. I would have no problem dropping 150€ on a physical special edition of Shenmue since I consider it to be one of the best games ever. But if it's DRM (Steam) and not even physical? No thanks, not even for 5€.

(And I played the games already, so I don't need them again. It would be more for showing support and collecting it.)

TLZ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know if this extra info was posted (other than $30 pricing)

Yakuza has no soul, I've tried to like it, but that series just doesn't have anything special about it.

giphy.webp

Dec 30, 2017
This isnt true in shenmue 2 at all. In fact, shenmue 2 was one of the very first open world games to let yoy skip time. You can choose to jump time forward in shenmue 2 whenever you want, and they are adding that feature back into shenmue 1 with this remaster.

The skip time is only contextual.

RedSwirl has made an accurate description of Shenmue's concept. Upvote.

Sman1

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Guys, I'm just genuinely curious here, is this game really going to sell well? I'm sure the only reason people will be picking it up is for nostalgic reasons. I, personally, see no reason as to why anyone who is younger would pick this up...the graphics are horrendously dated, so are the mechanics and the story arc is incomplete. I'm 22 myself and never played the originals and this doesn't entice me one bit. If anything, I'd rather play Yakuza as it seems to be in a similar vein...but you know, better.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The skip time is only contextual.

RedSwirl has made an accurate description of Shenmue's concept. Upvote.

...his point is that you can't just skip time until events happen, that you have to find an in-game distraction or else just wait around.

But that's not true at all. The "context" you speak of is that you are allowed to skip time to specific events -- precisely what he said you couldn't do.

Downvote your comment all day.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
OKAY, I just now, this morning, right this minute while I'm eating my oatmeal, found out about this.

It's really happening. And it's coming to PC as well.

Holy Sailor Searching Batman, DAY FUCKING ONE PURCHASE. Not even concerned with what it costs, I am buying this the minute I can.

5CGr7LP.gif

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I'm just genuinely curious here, is this game really going to sell well? I'm sure the only reason people will be picking it up is for nostalgic reasons. I, personally, see no reason as to why anyone who is younger would pick this up...the graphics are horrendously dated, so are the mechanics and the story arc is incomplete. I'm 22 myself and never played the originals and this doesn't entice me one bit. If anything, I'd rather play Yakuza as it seems to be in a similar vein...but you know, better.
It will sell to the people who played the originals, which was in the hundreds of thousands, and perhaps those who want to play Shenmue III but start the story properly. It never hurts to have these games released. Even today there isn't much like Shenmue on the market, whether younger gamers happen to like it or not...

Deleted member 3862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had Shenmue on the Dreamcast and never got around to playing Shenmue 2. I remember being disappointed, but now it has been so long since I played that first game I barely remember it. I bought some stuff out of a machine and drove a forklift, and did martial arts (I think?). Man what a weird game. I'll probably pick this up.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a purist so don't like the idea of achievements, I like stuff in Shenmue wasn't gamey and was just pointless, like collecting capsules and a random fight in the harbour when some school girls pick a fight. Getting an achievement for collecting a yellow can would take away from that random charm. If achievements were only for important scenes it might be ok. Random stuff in Shenmue is better discovered on its own, not following an achievement guideline to get everything on your first play through.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
People shitting on Shenmue's graphics is weird considering it's a 20 year old game. Obviously they're going to be dated. To me though they're still some of the best graphics from that time that still hold up today in spots. It definitely has its charm and there's no way I'd consider them bad. Can't think of a better looking game in this style from 20 years ago. Looking forward to seeing the final product from this release.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
As someone who has never played these before, I'd much rather play these are they're releasing as opposed to a remake

I want to play the classic games but with some modern features such as better resolution and maybe some QoL fixes. I wouldn't be that interested in a full remake

It's weird to me that so many people seem to want full remakes of any game more than a decade old

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
This isnt true in shenmue 2 at all. In fact, shenmue 2 was one of the very first open world games to let yoy skip time. You can choose to jump time forward in shenmue 2 whenever you want, and they are adding that feature back into shenmue 1 with this remaster.

Ah. Haven't played Shemue II.

And did they reveal more details in terms of what they're doing with this remaster? Where did you hear that about the Shenmue 1 remaster?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah. Haven't played Shemue II.

And did they reveal more details in terms of what they're doing with this remaster? Where did you hear that about the Shenmue 1 remaster?

A mod merged the threads, and in the process, killed the other OP which had a lot more info. But yes, it's been confirmed in game informer. Updating some textures, the controls, the UI, and also implementing time skip into shenmue I.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
So happy this will be reelased for all. I hope we will get a pack with all 3 games too. This has the same the same content as the DreamCast versions with updated resolutions and not the Xbox one port right? Because the latter was missing many things.

Dec 30, 2017
...his point is that you can't just skip time until events happen, that you have to find an in-game distraction or else just wait around.

But that's not true at all. The "context" you speak of is that you are allowed to skip time to specific events -- precisely what he said you couldn't do.

Downvote your comment all day.

Suzuki didn't want to implement that feature. He did so only because of the complains. The time skipping is not part of the Shenmue's philosophy.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Suzuki didn't want to implement that feature. He did so only because of the complains. The time skipping is not part of the Shenmue's philosophy.
Well that's real neato insight into tales from your ass, but the discussion is whether or not you can time skip in shenmue, not about the purity of the glorious philosophy. And you absolutely can. Stop spreading false information.

Dec 30, 2017
Well that's real neato insight into tales from your ass, but the discussion is whether or not you can time skip in shenmue, not about the purity of the glorious philosophy. And you absolutely can. Stop spreading false information.

Nope, the discussion was precisely about game philsophy. You just played on words with someone trying to explain what's Shenmue, as usual with you I would say.

And yes, the time skipping was not wanted by Yu. It's a well known fact.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, the discussion was precisely about game philsophy. You just played on words with someone trying to explain what's Shenmue, as usual with you I would say.

And yes, the time skipping was not wanted by Yu. It's a well known fact.

This is what I replied to:

Shenmue's major difference from Bethesda games and its second major difference from Yakuza is that you can't manipulate time in Shenmue. There's no rest function and you have to sleep at a certain time of the day. You have to find something to do with every hour of Ryo Hazuki's day, and you have to more or less follow the daily pattern of a normal person. This is really where the life simulation element of Shenmue comes in.

This is not true. This doesn't say a damn thing about philosophy. This says you cannot time skip in shenmue. You can. You can time skip in shenmue II, and you can time skip in the shenmue remake.

And the dude I replied to didn't even know that, and appreciated the clarification. You are weird.

Dec 30, 2017
This is what I replied to:

This is not true. This doesn't say a damn thing about philosophy. This says you cannot time skip in shenmue. You can. You can time skip in shenmue II, and you can time skip in the shenmue remake.

And the dude I replied to didn't even know that, and appreciated the clarification. You are weird.

Skipping time contextually is not the same at all as skipping time alone. You cannot skip time in the way Bethesda games do, and that makes all the difference in terms of gameplay.

The use of time is one of things that defines Shenmue's concept. So debate about game design philosophy, it definitely was. But as usual you'll rush into your keyboard, separate the part you want from the context, and deny again with your usual "this ain't true" "not at all" "you're lying" "you're weird". The discussion ends here on my side.

Last edited:

Edonista

Oct 31, 2017
Better late than never, SEGA.
We will ever learn about the development process of the Shenmue 1&2 project?

Oct 30, 2017
I'm a purist so don't like the idea of achievements, I like stuff in Shenmue wasn't gamey and was just pointless, like collecting capsules and a random fight in the harbour when some school girls pick a fight. Getting an achievement for collecting a yellow can would take away from that random charm. If achievements were only for important scenes it might be ok. Random stuff in Shenmue is better discovered on its own, not following an achievement guideline to get everything on your first play through.
I don't really get this. Achievements are pretty much just a tacked on feature that don't affect a game's story or modes. Ignore them if you're not interested.

Designer_Fake

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Adam Koralik just posted a little thing on his Facebook, and confirmed achievements.

Y'know, for anybody who cares.

Isn't it mandatory for games on Xbox/Playstation to have achievements/trophies anyway? At least I've never come across a game that didn't have any, bar the old Playstation 3 games that came out before the trophy system was in place.

Nov 2, 2017
Should I sell my copy of the og Xbox version ? I never really gotten around to it and now it's kind of redundant with the remasters coming out

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Isn't it mandatory for games on Xbox/Playstation to have achievements/trophies anyway? At least I've never come across a game that didn't have any, bar the old Playstation 3 games that came out before the trophy system was in place.
Beats me, I don't play on consoles outside my Switch.

Nice they're in, though. Maybe it'll encourage average players to try chasing some of the well hidden side-content.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes all XONE/PS4 games must have achievements/trophies. If a certain dev really dislikes them they can just make less or ditch the platinum (Firewatch originally had only 5 trophies, SOMA has only 10).

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Adam said Sega was "floored" by the response to the Shenmue HD announcement. I think it's going to sell very well and let Sega know that they need to support Shenmue fully going forward. Of course that also depends on the sales of Shenmue 3 too but I must say we fans have come a long way since the days when Sega wouldn't even acknowledge Shenmue's existence...

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
This collection has been requested for so many years. I'm curious, has there been any mention as to how long it has been in active development, and/or when Sega started actively researching its viability?

Status
Not open for further replies.