Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Megumi never got any head pats, and she helped raise a fucking kitten!

This is so out of character for Ryo. I hope Suzuki hasn't lost his touch with this game.
Haha, it does seem a bit out of character. Now if there's a romance scene between Ryo and someone else in S3 like we all hoped there would be in the first two, I'm not sure I'd be able to suspend my disbelief. They say people can change but I'm not sure they can change that much.

Everywhere was really empty. That was the main vibe I got.
When you say empty, do you mean in terms of people?

If so, the game's got around 500 NPCs, I wouldn't worry about that.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
Besides some low budget facial animations, it actually looks good? The hyperbole is always strong with this game.

y3TrGnQ.gif

Agreed, this looks great when you take into account the budget and size of the team on this. Love the amount of charm this short clip has.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca

This just got announced. Looks great!

Damn, that looks nice. Really nice. I kinda wish I hadn't kickstarted the game already so I could buy that instead.

Haha, it does seem a bit out of character. Now if there's a romance scene between Ryo and someone else in S3 like we all hoped there would be in the first two, I'm not sure I'd be able to suspend my disbelief. They say people can change but I'm not sure they can change that much.

Ryo x Xiuying. The true pairing. Accept no substitutes

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

It's going to be Xiuying. Shenhua is more like a sister to Ryo. At least, I think anyway.

EDIT: Beaten lol.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Just preordered the digital deluxe on PSN. Comes with Ryo and Shenhua avatars and S3 static theme with music after checkout. Digital deluxe says we are getting post-launch dlc.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Amen. Glad you posted this gif too, I'm making some as well but my ancient laptop is dying on its ass trying. Would you be able to do more?

If you could, would you be able to do the fight with the master on the riverboat which ends with Ryo getting his leg kicked out? Doesn't have to be from the start, just the second segment after it cuts from the monks practicing in front of the waterfront arcade? I'm going to try doing a close up of Ryo reacting to the light being shone in his face, because I thought the facial animation there was pretty good.

Can't wait to try out the battle system in this. Suzuki made a hardcore mode for Virtua Fighter fans. :D

n4JVrXH.gif

n4JVrXH.gifv

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Just preordered the digital deluxe on PSN. Comes with Ryo and Shenhua avatars and S3 static theme with music after checkout. Digital deluxe says we are getting post-launch dlc.

I just checked out the Shenmue III listing on PSN and there's about 2-3 screenshots I'm pretty sure I've never seen before.

Also the Digital Deluxe version is £70!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017

Yesssss.

-------

The trailer is full of highs and lows, as you'd expect from effectively a 45 person indie studio trying to make a sequel to one of the most expensive games of all time, but they're doing a sterling effort against the odds and fuck anybody sneering from behind their keyboards at it.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
I'm glad some diehard Shenmue people are going to get something. It doesn't seem like there is really anything for anybody that isn't feeling strong emotions of nostalgia though. It just looks bad. The environments, animations character models just look terrible. It's hard to imagine someone who has never played Shenmue being interested.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Take a look at A plague tale : innocence.
@ianpm31 already said it, but A Plague Tale is a largely linear game whereas Shenmue is this quasi-open world life sim with about half a dozen or more interacting systems to form the core gameplay loop, with a fully functioning economic system supported by quite a few mini-games and side activities, taking place over multiple distinct locations, with like 500+ unique NPCs.

It's the same when Hellblade is brought up in similar conversations. Ninja Theory wanted to provide AAA production values on an indie budget, and the end result meets those goals at the expense of breadth and length. I'm pretty sure Ys Net could produce a super pretty, very linear, 7 hour long experience with a handful of characters if they really wanted to... but that's not Shenmue.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It look like they just wanted to stick real close to the source as far as graphics. I get around to when I get around to it

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
They have definetly made significant progresses and now the game definetly captures the Shenmue feeling with modern graphics.
Unfortunately and this has been obvious since the beginning, many people simply won't accept that this game was basically made with an indie budget and it has to show, it's only natural.
I'm looking forward to read impressions from the press on the demo they brought to E3.

Oct 30, 2017
It's all well and good the game looks "ok" (that's up to the individual) for an open world game, but we've still not seen ANY gameplay. So I really don't find it surprising, shocking, or upsetting that people continue to shit on the game for what's been shown, which is nothing. The game was supposed to come out in a little over two months, and they still haven't managed to throw together some footage of Ryo walking and talking. Maybe they'll show that in a couple days, but right now I really don't take issue with people commenting on the awkward animation, character designs and odd selection of footage.

Based on this footage, this game tells you absolutely nothing about Shenmue or what Shenmue 3 is about. The environments are also completely devoid of life & activity, which doesn't make the fact that it's open world look very impressive.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, it looks like how I envisioned a Shenmue 3 would do

I see the negativity in the thread. I 'get' it in relation to modern day AAA, but I think it looks charming.

It looks like a natural fit with 1 and 2 on a small budget. I'm excited to finally play it

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It looks serviceable at best, glad the fans of the series is getting more of the story.

That being said, the animations and the characters have always been an issue for me when they have shown this game, which is pretty bad for a game about characters. It's not just that the animations are rough around the edges, it's more that they lack impact and reaction.

master15

Nov 28, 2017

I see the negativity in the thread. I 'get' it in relation to modern day AAA, but I think it looks charming.

It looks like a natural fit with 1 and 2 on a small budget. I'm excited to finally play it

Pretty much how I feel. I enjoyed the choreography of the boat fight and hope we see more gameplay soon.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California

Agreed, I can feel the vibe of the original two games through these trailers, however I understand completely if people are turned off by it.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like shenmue to me. I'm not sure what people expect from this lol. I do still want this. I'll be keeping an eye on it even though its in the Epic Game Store now.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
I can't... this is Yu Suzuki we're talking about. The father of realistic fighting games. Do you remember how fluid Virtua Fighter played? How much you felt those hits?

If there's anything that's going to be locked in, that's absolutely guaranteed, it's the fighting.

Just calling it like I see it. There's no weight to the fight in that video.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Looks fine all things considered. We weren't getting a Yakuza-quality game here. Not with that budget and resources.