• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
In a week, we'll get new medias about the game and that makes me super hyped.
But there's something I've been wondering... Back in June 2015 when the game was announced at Sony's E3 stage, people were on fire and there were a lot of reactions on the internet (especially on old gaf).
But today ? I feel like there's not much talk about the game, save for the good people from the Shenmue fanbase. Even the gaming press doesn't seem to be that interested.

Did people lost interest ? Or where they just interested because of various reasons ? (a long dead rumour becoming real being one of them).

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
I think very few people are going to buy this game and the majority of the fans are 25+ years old or even more, true fans are hyped but this is not something that might appeal to a mainstream audience.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
No one is hyped because its not following the usual game pr bullshit.

Last edited:

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
I didn't grow up with the Shenmue craze and it was only last year or so when I got round to finally playing it. Honestly, it's alright? I can understand how it would of been super impressive for the time but it's not one of those games I would want to play again.

Shenmue 3 lost me a while back. To be honest, I'm only looking forward to the music.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
Let's be honest everything they've shown for the game so far looks whack. Why should any reasonable, not elderly person be hyped?

OP
OP
GhostTrick

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
The hype is currently kinda buried under the whole THQ Nordic 8chan AMA bullshit since Deep Silver is a subsidiary of theirs.

Read more at https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...-post-brings-the-heat-read-threadmarks.102061 and then decide if you still wanna help make Reinhard Pollice some money.

I doubt it's related to this, since the whole THQ Nordic fuckup is barely a week old.

Let's be honest everything they've shown for the game so far looks whack. Why should any reasonable, not elderly person be hyped?

Early games looking like early games indeed. But I feel like there's more to it considering every media shown so far has not that much reactions.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wheres the hype?

Shenmue was never a series that made accolades in terms of popularity or sales. That, and theres little to no gameplay trailers of 3. 3 Has just been a bunch of screenshots with little to no context, that it's basically in "concept" mode with all the screenshots they've released. There is no substance.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Oh I'm hyped. Cautiously hyped. I don't think it's coming out in six months time though. Call it a hunch, but I foresee another delay happening.

I also need to see some substantial, uninterrupted gameplay footage, which I believe is coming soon. If I like what I see then that'll ease my concerns and I'll be fully on board.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Hype should tell you something: of that E3, The Last Guardian was a sorely delayed title that finally came good but should have been out years before, and the other two still aren't out yet.

Don't ask for hype. Ask for the games to come, and come good.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Is the game actually ready to release this year?

I haven't seen any actual gameplay video. I need to see the game in action, not just some scripted cutscenes and screenshots.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I just don't believe it's going to be very good. I'm looking forward to finally playing it but I don't have much faith in it living up to the previous games. It's been made on a pretty small budget and nothing I've seen so far has really got me hyped.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
A gameplay trailers coming out in the next week or so iirc, so it'll probably come then. I'm hyped as hell, but they've been extremely quiet for a while now, you can't really blame people for not being hyped at silence.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I've ever backed on Kickstarter and I fully expect it to be the next 5/6 out of 10.

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
I backed it but I ignore all the update emails because whatever so I didn't actually know it was due out soon. Whenever I think of Shenmue 3 I just process it as being years away; guess it's time to hype.

Actually playing through 2 at the moment and I still love it. Good timing.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I was never particularly interested in the type of game Shenmue is, so a third game isn't an exciting prospect to me. Worse, is that the footage they've shown so far has looked really rough. I think it's going to be another Might No.9.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hyped.
LHHxddN.gif

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who has never played Shenmue I have zero interest in this. And looking back at the old games, they just look ugly and gameplay seems stiff and archaic. I guess it's just not a mainstream game.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Well the team is quite quiet at the moment. It doesn't feel like the game is coming out in 6 months given we've seen so little of it.

And honestly many people lost their hype when they played the originals for the first time last September (including me). :P Still planning to play the game though since I've already backed it on KS.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
HD Collection released and was a stunning reminder that the series was really not great to begin with. 😉

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
In before comments about how Shenmue was never goo-
Oh I am already late

Counting down the seconds! Extremely hyped

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
The easy answer is that they haven't really started the marketing of the game yet, and we haven't seen any near-final builds in motion.

Also, people are being cautious about the release date, as most kickstarter games get pushed back a lot, and Shenmue III is decidedly more complex than even the smaller, simpler Kickstarter games that had lots of trouble and delays.

So we are waiting. When he start seeing some in-depth trailers and gameplay vids, then the excitement will ramp up.

But as others said, Shenmue is pretty niche, so it will be a small core audience who are excited, primarily.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
I personally would be WAY more excited if it was 2005-2008, but whatever yearning I had for a sequel has since fainted. I still fully intend to play it, but it's not currently a priority.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect it to review particurally well. But I don't think either the press opinion matters much when it comes to quality.

it's hard to believe that it started four years ago, but i trust suzuki was serious about putting in the work. it reminds me of something like dreamfall: the longest journey, where there's such an auteur feeling that the game winds up with a certain charisma that helps paper over more obvious flaws. swery and suda51 games live in this space too.

Aug 9, 2018
Maybe it would have been better if they re-made Shenmue I & II while developing III. I think releasing the remasters deflated some hype because it felt and looked so dated.

Personally I was excited on the possibility of a remake when I played Sleeping Dogs for the first time, I kept imagining how great Shenmue I & II would look using the same engine.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
The correct question should be "where is the footage"?. Not only it is a game that is coming out soon, but it is also a kickstarter game where it is normally expected from developers to provide several meaningful updates. It feels like if you combine all the published material, you'll barely be able to write a small article about it.

Feb 2, 2019
Most people played the HD collection because a small vocal minority on forums couldn't stop talking about it and because of E3 "hype". Most people realized the games were awful and stopped caring about the inflated hype bubble that represent Shenmue 3.

I'm glad Shenmue 3 will release so this same vocal minority will finally shut their mouth about it for good. Just so we can move on from one of the most overestimated franchise of all time. It will probably be awful but will serve greater good. The sooner the better.

That's the reason I'm so glad SE released a FFXII remaster. We don't hear about it anymore and it's a good thing.