• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, shes definitely the most "happy" ending... sort of. Some of the IV characters do change near the end, but nothing as drastic as in Nocturne. They drop hints all throughout the game how they're going to turn out, while Nocturne's are more drastic. There's hints about Chiaki and Isamu, but still pretty subtle.
I think you get hints that they're alive and doing stuff, but Isamu's and Chiaki's transformations seem to come from out of nowhere, though you do get the sense that them traveling around in the Vortex World is warping them since that place is not kind to humans. Seeing their shifts in ideology has been great since I went into this game thinking it was just a simple dungeon crawler but it has a pretty good story in there.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I think you get hints that they're alive and doing stuff, but Isamu's and Chiaki's transformations seem to come from out of nowhere, though you do get the sense that them traveling around in the Vortex World is warping them since that place is not kind to humans. Seeing their shifts in ideology has been great since I went into this game thinking it was just a simple dungeon crawler but it has a pretty good story in there.
It's pretty common knowledge that Nocturne has a great story, it's just minimalist. Every story scene has something crucial, there's no dead weight.

Also, when their key events happen, they realize it forces them to adapt or die. Isamu decides he's better off alone, Chiaki decides she needs to be strong to survive(which could also be vaguely feminist, since she's sick of being taken advantage of due to her gender).

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty common knowledge that Nocturne has a great story, it's just minimalist. Every story scene has something crucial, there's no dead weight.

Also, when their key events happen, they realize it forces them to adapt or die. Isamu decides he's better off alone, Chiaki decides she needs to be strong to survive(which could also be vaguely feminist, since she's sick of being taken advantage of due to her gender).
I remember Chiaki saying something about beauty and strength being the same thing or something like that, she definitely doesn't want to go back to being weak. I never made it this far in this game and don't really interact with a lot of people that play this game so finding such a good story in here was unexpected. Apparently I got this after I got P3 FES and P4 so I probably got SMT burn out during that period, which means I have to deal with DDS at some point again. Nocturne's still my favorite SMT game so it's good to know that the game aged better than the Persona games. The game is just timeless.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I remember Chiaki saying something about beauty and strength being the same thing or something like that, she definitely doesn't want to go back to being weak. I never made it this far in this game and don't really interact with a lot of people that play this game so finding such a good story in here was unexpected. Apparently I got this after I got P3 FES and P4 so I probably got SMT burn out during that period, which means I have to deal with DDS at some point again. Nocturne's still my favorite SMT game so it's good to know that the game aged better than the Persona games. The game is just timeless.
nocturne_04.jpg

It's been on Atlus' website all this time, lol. Of all the screens to use.

And I think the Persona games have aged just fine, but no one ever agrees on that.

D4-qA9ZWsAANSfD.jpg

Also, you can notice that she has no arm there.

So consider that an unarmed human with no powers got from Yoyogi Park to Ikebukuro, after losing an arm.

Chiaki's no slouch.

Oct 25, 2017
nocturne_04.jpg

It's been on Atlus' website all this time, lol. Of all the screens to use.

And I think the Persona games have aged just fine, but no one ever agrees on that.

D4-qA9ZWsAANSfD.jpg

Also, you can notice that she has no arm there.
P3 pretty much needs a P3P FES and P4 needs a no Yosuke patch in a way. The games are mostly fine minus a few quibbles. I think I can just get absorbed into Nocturne's world better since it's a no bullshit game. It's all atmosphere, hip as fuck brooding techno beats and a lean and mean existential crisis plot. There's no waifu filler (though I have no problems with this), no transphobic jokes or anything. I love pretty much every game I play, I think I just think straight up SMT are better games than the Persona games. Minus the QOL improvements Nocturne is better than P5 to me. I don't know if it's the nostalgia or pacing or content, but Nocturne when it's not SMT'ing me to death is usually just all good shit. I really wish I could play SMT IV on the big screen. Can't get more SMT V news fast enough. Also that dark stuff with Chiaki is not going to be in any Persona game, would really love a voice acted remaster of this game.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Finally beat the main story in Soul Hackers today. Had to grind demons in order to beat the final boss. I just didn't have a team with the right skills to deal with his second sun bullshit. Thankfully I managed to create a high agility Zoma with tetrakarn which pretty much won me the fight. I think I'll skip the optional end game for now.

Next up, the original Strange Journey. Guess I'll be more mindful about my demon's skills in this game.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Souls Hackers' story, characters and overall vibe really stood the test of time for me (played it when it first re-released for 3DS), but the gameplay definitely required patience on my part, feeling a bit antiquated in comparison to newer SMT games.

Enjoy SJ. It's still one of my favorite dungeon crawlers. Really fun.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Chiaki is an infuriating hypocrite.

Survived due to the charity and gifted power of a demon and then went on to slaughter innocent people.

There are few enemies I enjoyed cutting down in SMT more than her.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
This is why I consult YouTube video guides.
The gimmicks aren't THAT bad. The FAQs on GameFAQs should be plenty. It's really just trial and error. You could probably get through Blue quickest by dumb luck, since it's just a question of hitting the right pitfall. One of them leads to a switch that opens the right pitfall that leads to the boss. (On the left side if memory serves.)

And Lightoma is essential for Blue.

Oct 25, 2017
The gimmicks aren't THAT bad. The FAQs on GameFAQs should be plenty. It's really just trial and error. You could probably get through Blue quickest by dumb luck, since it's just a question of hitting the right pitfall. One of them leads to a switch that opens the right pitfall that leads to the boss. (On the left side if memory serves.)

And Lightoma is essential for Blue.
I hope I still have Lightoma. I've had that Pisaca you get in the first Kalpa for Estoma and that spell. Sometimes with guides I honestly just have to see it done over reading it.

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the Amala Temple pyramids...Skadi was surprisingly easy. Made some demons. Now have Clotho and Black Rider and Barong in case I need Bolt Storm for something. Looking at the guide and minus the Kalpa's it feels like I'm what 70% done or something? I only have fourth and fifth Kalpa to deal with and I read I can't do Mother Harlot till I finish Diet Building or something.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Beat the Amala Temple pyramids...Skadi was surprisingly easy. Made some demons. Now have Clotho and Black Rider and Barong in case I need Bolt Storm for something. Looking at the guide and minus the Kalpa's it feels like I'm what 70% done or something? I only have fourth and fifth Kalpa to deal with and I read I can't do Mother Harlot till I finish Diet Building or something.
Basically. Diet Building is more or less the last dungeon before the final one, failing Amala and optional stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Basically. Diet Building is more or less the last dungeon before the final one, failing Amala and optional stuff.
Now I'm trying to figure out why I never got this far in my previous playthroughs. I think the last time I played the furthest in I got was...that fog dungeon with the Naga's? I think it was Kabuchiko Prison or something. This wasn't even my first SMT game since I got it after P3 and P4 I think and I've played SMT IV way before my current playthrough of it and Devil Survivor. Guess I was just in the mood for it...I should pick Devil Survivor back up but I remember that one being hard as shit.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Now I'm trying to figure out why I never got this far in my previous playthroughs. I think the last time I played the furthest in I got was...that fog dungeon with the Naga's? I think it was Kabuchiko Prison or something. This wasn't even my first SMT game since I got it after P3 and P4 I think and I've played SMT IV way before my current playthrough of it and Devil Survivor. Guess I was just in the mood for it...I should pick Devil Survivor back up but I remember that one being hard as shit.
Have you made your decision on which ending you want?

Oct 25, 2017
Fool Who Bears The Name Freedom!

She asks you if you're willing to pursue her ideals.

During one of my favorite scenes in the game, when you meet Yuko at Yoyogi Park.
I was so shocked to see her there. I probably agreed. Who knows. I guess I'll shoot for something specific in NG+ or something. I don't think I'm in line for Isamu's ending though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My FFVI playthrough is borked so time to play Strange Journey cuz it's the best SMT game ever.