• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

applejuice

Oct 27, 2017
Tampa, FL
I'm trying to platinum Person 5 in NG+ and just got to Futaba and I want to give up. Mara give me strength.

I also started D x 2 and it seems really daunting, especially when it sells all these expensive bundles for gems and the like. Hopefully I won't spend a dime.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Dx2 pushes monetization in your face but I haven't really seen a use for it.
Stopped playing it anyway, got quickly bored.

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The gap between the 4th and 5th palace is by far the worst stretch of P5.

Also don't particularly get the all the love for the 4th palace. Or the hate for the 5th for that matter.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said this in another thread and now I really want it.

Shin Megami Tensei: The Demonic Compendium

Vol. 1: Shin Megami Tensei, Shin Megami Tensei II, Kyuyaku Megami Tensei

Vol. 2: Shin Megami Tensei If..., Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner, Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
I tried Dx2 recently and finished the first chapter. Despite usually loving SMT's core gameplay and the game being basically a streamlined version of that, so far the whole experience has been really underwhelming. The game feels more like Digimon Cyber Sleuth in tone and narrative than SMT proper, no meaningful dungeon crawling means half of the series' appeal is lost to me (I know there's something like that later on but I haven't unlocked it yet), difficulty is too low right now, the story and characters just aren't compelling. The whole game doesn't feel like SMT and so far it does nothing any other modern installment doesn't already do better.

It's fine if you're craving for that SMT fix, have already beaten all the other entries and want to try something new, but to me it just feels like a wasted opportunity. If the game was more like mainline SMT and you could actually choose your alignment, there were events where each faction competes against one another, and the whole thing was a multiverse/amalaverse coalition of all the titles in the franchise and you got to see Aleph, Demi-Fiend, Stephen and other recognizable characters from all over the series in a plot involving the grand war against the Great Will hinted at in Nocturne, then it'd be a lot more interesting to me. As it is I'll probably just play a little more to see how the dungeon thing works and what the more difficult content looks like and probably delete it from my phone after that.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I have a question about Strange Journey.

Can I opt to take a neutral approach to the decision one must make in Grus involving Zelenin, Jimenez, the demons, and Ryan?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a question about Strange Journey.

Can I opt to take a neutral approach to the decision one must make in Grus involving Zelenin, Jimenez, the demons, and Ryan?

Yes.

Just kill Grendel yourself instead of getting Zelenin to do it.

That said, what's your alignment right now? There's benefits to going Law or Chaos during regular gameplay.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
3q9p0a5

SMT "Metal Slimes" enemies are demons which are levels above you lol

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I love going up like 3 levels on a boss or something

I know, actually this happen a lot with the late bosses endings. But it's great to exploit this, kinda great a place like this is near Shinjuku with high-leveled enemies.

By the way, it's good idea to keep leveling until rescue the heroine? I was planning do that (at least for three o four levels more), but I was thinking if I'm going to have less options to customize her stats.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Can't answer your question, personally. I just went straight through except where I got lost or went the wrong way first. Also don't know how the heroine's stats are determined. Hopefully someone can answer the question!

That said, heroine is so strong from abilities alone. I have a hard time seeing her not turn out as a god no matter what.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The maze inside
the heroine mind
is a still a pain the ass. I think this dungeon is the first where I think it's good idea to befriend the "local" demons to avoid unnecesary battles.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Is completion of Womb of Grief mandatory?

I hit Horologium and want to clear the game without completing WoG. Wish to come back on another playthrough.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Don't go to Ikebukuro, he say. But the blinded one choose don't take his advice seriously.

Thanks heavens I had a save before defeat Nebiros.

Edit: Holy crap I was not recalling how huge was Ginza, until I got lost checking every single tile in the inferior floor to the main town. But it feel like the "main" hub for the moment, I guess.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that I've beaten Persona 1 I am a true Shin Megami Tensei hipster.

But not a total one.

I bailed on SMTI and II.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
True Persona hipster then :^)

I kind of lump P1 and P2 in with classic MegaTen more than I do Persona. They're so radically different in tone, style and atmosphere, this melancholic narrative that's Carl Jung by way of Lovecraft, where your protagonists live in a world brimming with occult activity bubbling under the surface and get roped into it by accident, have to prove themselves, and ultimately play by the same rules as everyone around them, both in terms of gameplay and in the narrative. In P3 and-on everything's this peppy, jazzy fun after school adventure where you're just so special that you get to experience a whole new world blocked out to the common man, with a protagonist who gets an even better superpower than all of his friends, is just so cool that all the girls fall in love with him, and is literally chosen by the god du jour to be the destined hero.

Actually now that I'm on the subject of the patented Persona protagonist personality perfume that attracts all the girls, I gotta say, Maki kissing the P1 Protagonist at the end was weird because I never got the feeling that they actually grew close or anything, or even mattered to each other.

The manga did that part way, way better, casting Naoya and Maki as distant childhood friends on acquaintance at best terms who come to see the darkest aspects of each other.

Heck, even then Naoya only fell in love with the Ideal Maki, since the manga makes a big deal out of her being her own person, and even admits to hating Maki a little when they were kids because he thought she was bothersome.

God I need to read the manga again.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I think I would like learn romhacking just to translate the GBA ports (and improve some Dragon Quest games) and learn japanese too... ah damn, time and money it's necessary to learn both things :(

In other new, Hinokagutsuchi trivialize any boss battle/dungeon lol this time I get it without cheats. Now I'm investing in speed for my MC because I prefer to attack first. That is a lot different to my first playthrough. The heroine is going to hit the magic cap soon, maybe those renmant Incense should improve the magic defense for the MC.

Last edited:

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I decided to replay DQ1 for the first time in almost 30 years and I really don't know how I got through that game as a kid. I must have had a guide and had infinite patience.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I beat SMT1 and I didn't bother getting the hidden treasures in the last dungeon. I was on neutral route and I was absolutely OP. The encounter rate is totally bullshit, but other than that I don't find SMT1 particularly inaccessible. In fact, most bosses are fairly easy and you have electricity magic.

Currently playing SMT2. My only complain so far is demon negotiation is wayyy too complicated. I just want some money damn it.

Also, for those who played all these games, how does Persona 1 (PSP version) fare against SMT1 and 2? More accessible? Less accessible? Better? Worse?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I beat SMT1 and I didn't bother getting the hidden treasures in the last dungeon. I was on neutral route and I was absolutely OP. The encounter rate is totally bullshit, but other than that I don't find SMT1 particularly inaccessible. In fact, most bosses are fairly easy and you have electricity magic.

Currently playing SMT2. My only complain so far is demon negotiation is wayyy too complicated. I just want some money damn it.

Also, for those who played all these games, how does Persona 1 (PSP version) fare against SMT1 and 2? More accessible? Less accessible? Better? Worse?

Protip for SMTII: If you can make Aleph dance, do it. It never failed to automatically recruit a demon.

Otherwise yeah, P1P is a much more accessible game, having been designed as such even back in 1996. Every demon has preset reactions to certain conversation techniques, and it's easy to breeze through the game with certain broken Personae like Gozu-Tennoh.

I certainly enjoyed it more but that might be because it didnt' throw a fucking unbeatable boss at me 30 hours in like SMTII did!

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I really like SMT1 and 2. Just played them for the first time this past winter. Have fun aters.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really enoyed the PSP version of Persona 1. Played and finished it in 2016 and found it very entainertaining. Moreso than 5 tbh. I gave up on the PSP version of Innocent Sin, because the loading times were criminal. I guess I'll play that one on an emulator at some point.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How much improved is the PSP version of EP? I know IS PSP was supposed to be easy to the point of nigh unplayability on normal mode.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's basically 1:1 to the PS1 version, with a crisp UI and gorgeous portraits. It's the perfect version.

Ah, that's alright then. Between a smoother translation than the late 90s and a restoration of the P1 cast's names I'll have to give it a whirl.

Still undecided on how I should play Innocent Sin though.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Ah, that's alright then. Between a smoother translation than the late 90s and a restoration of the P1 cast's names I'll have to give it a whirl.

Still undecided on how I should play Innocent Sin though.
PS1 version would be my suggestion. The pros outweigh the PSP additions.

PS1:
Better font
More faithful to the original game balance
Better overall voice acting

PSP:
New UI
Great remixes
Faster gameplay
Solid voice acting

+/-

Neither version has a perfect translation. PS1 calls Eikichi 'Michelle' when it's 'Michel'.
PSP calls the Masquerade the 'Masked Circle'.
Both versions have a stupid translation for the insult against Kasugayama HS('K'ass-u-gay-ama' VS 'Cuss High')
etc.

Don't let the new scenario stuff sway you, it's nothing special.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS1 version would be my suggestion. The pros outweigh the PSP additions.

PS1:
Better font
More faithful to the original game balance
Better overall voice acting

PSP:
New UI
Great remixes
Faster gameplay
Solid voice acting

+/-

Neither version has a perfect translation. PS1 calls Eikichi 'Michelle' when it's 'Michel'.
PSP calls the Masquerade the 'Masked Circle'.
Both versions have a stupid translation for the insult against Kasugayama HS('K'ass-u-gay-ama' VS 'Cuss High')
etc.

Don't let the new scenario stuff sway you, it's nothing special.

Speaking of new scenarios, how's the Tatsuya stuff in EPP?

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Hello, SMT community.

I'm forming an argument in an assignment in which I state that one doesn't need to experience all branching paths in a title like SMT IV to gain license to critique it, they're merely given the full experience if they go law, chaos, or neutral. But my professor isn't convinced. While I have an assertion, I'm trying to form a simple argument to make it compelling.

I write that the ideologies of the story (law, chaos, and neutral) aren't defined by the branch in story, but by the events leading up to it, but that's not convincing enough.

Anyone want to supply some suggestions on how I can form a compelling argument?

If I want to critique SMT IV's ideology, I don't have to experience all three route to fully critique it. Playing through one route is more than enough.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hello, SMT community.

I'm forming an argument in an assignment in which I state that one doesn't need to experience all branching paths in a title like SMT IV to gain license to critique it, they're merely given the full experience if they go law, chaos, or neutral. But my professor isn't convinced. While I have an assertion, I'm trying to form a simple argument to make it compelling.

I write that the ideologies of the story (law, chaos, and neutral) aren't defined by the branch in story, but by the events leading up to it, but that's not convincing enough.

Anyone want to supply some suggestions on how I can form a compelling argument?

If I want to critique SMT IV's ideology, I don't have to experience all three route to fully critique it. Playing through one route is more than enough.

I mean, I guess you could say that the Blasted Tokyo and Infernal Tokyo section of the story allows you to see a "sneak peek" of the Law and Chaos ending scenarios, thus showing that one route allows you see the full picture.

However, I must say that I disagree with your thesis a bit. As SMT IV (and SMT as a whole) is about conflicting moral ideologies, I would argue that seeing each of the three endings (technically four, the Nihil "bad" ending has something to say as well) all the way through gives you the means to accurately critique the game's story. As players, by experiencing all of the endings, we can critique how well SMT IV's story was told. There are certainly story beats in all of the paths that could have wildly different interpretations and implications based on prior experiences with the endings of the other routes. One might not feel so bad about Infernal Tokyo and the Chaos ending after witness how YHVH rewards Flynn for doing His bidding in the Law ending. Or maybe after the witnessing the suffering in both endings, one might feel that the Nihil ending had a stronger impact. The list goes on.

Also, the underlying narrative of reincarnations and Messiahs suggests that these games and their endings are meant to all be experienced as a part of the larger Amala Universe/Axiom. The Messiahs in the Diamond Realm DLC of IV:A peeled back a lot of the mystery surrounding that.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I mean, I guess you could say that the Blasted Tokyo and Infernal Tokyo section of the story allows you to see a "sneak peek" of the Law and Chaos ending scenarios, thus showing that one route allows you see the full picture.

However, I must say that I disagree with your thesis a bit. As SMT IV (and SMT as a whole) is about conflicting moral ideologies, I would argue that seeing each of the three endings (technically four, the Nihil "bad" ending has something to say as well) all the way through gives you the means to accurately critique the game's story. As players, by experiencing all of the endings, we can critique how well SMT IV's story was told. There are certainly story beats in all of the paths that could have wildly different interpretations and implications based on prior experiences with the other routes. One might not feel so bad about Infernal Tokyo and the Chaos ending after witness how YHVH rewards Flynn for doing His bidding in the Law ending. Or maybe after the witnessing the suffering in both endings, one might feel that the Nihil ending had a stronger impact. The list goes on.

Also, the underlying narrative of reincarnations and Messiahs suggests that these games and their endings are meant to all be experienced as a part of the larger Amala Universe/Axiom. The Messiahs in the Diamond Realm DLC of IV:A peeled back a lot of the mystery surrounding that.

This is an excellent argument that admittedly trumps mine. Thanks for this.

I do want to say that I do feel as if one playthrough is enough to aptly critique the narrative's ideologies since the events prior to the branch/alignment lock explore themes of order and anarchy very well through it's choice prompts, dialogue, and events.

As in, one playthrough is enough but experiencing all endings is absolutely enriching.

But I feel no matter what route is chosen, it's still clear that IV (and of course mainline SMT) is an experiment in human morality.