• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I never realized how polarizing Tony Taka's art is. Personally, I like it but I get why a lot don't.

I'm interested in this, English release would be nice.

Ravidrath

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Berseria was their best game in ages, and iirc, he had next to no involvement with that, so I don't think that's the situation.

I had a lot of discussions with our producer at Marvelous who wanted to bring a lot of old games back on Steam, and they required him to get permission from the original creator to do so.

A lot of them would turn them down for dumb reasons, like, "I made this game only for the Gamecube and don't want people playing with a keyboard." Stuff that really made no sense, but it was the final word.

There are also sometimes internal politics involved in these, too. For example, apparently the reason Chrono Trigger was neglected for so long was because Horii didn't like Sakaguchi and would just block anything CT-related for that.

So it's entirely possible that the new Tales team doesn't want to highlight Baba's work any more, too.

zard1977

Oct 29, 2017
It is unremarkable really...

The world is very small and there is only one town. Every chapter your party goes to a new area. There is no fast travel IIRC so it is a chore to travel to various places (material farming), especially the ones that are further away from town i.e. have to pass through a few areas to reach.

Certain boss fights (some are consecutive) are rather difficult and the questionable A.I does not help. By default there is no leaked experience to characters not in the party. Certain story segments (including boss fights) require you to use certain characters (without warning) so this is a bad design choice.

In my opinion the story is rather bland and characters are not well-developed

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I had a lot of discussions with our producer at Marvelous who wanted to bring a lot of old games back on Steam, and they required him to get permission from the original creator to do so.

A lot of them would turn them down for dumb reasons, like, "I made this game only for the Gamecube and don't want people playing with a keyboard." Stuff that really made no sense, but it was the final word

There are also sometimes internal politics involved in these, too. For example, apparently the reason Chrono Trigger was neglected for so long was because Horii didn't like Sakaguchi and would just block anything CT-related for that.

So it's entirely possible that the new Tales team doesn't want to highlight Baba's work any more, too.

WTF

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Please localize this and all the other Tony Taka Shining games in a PS4 collection.

Oct 25, 2017

A lot of them would turn them down for dumb reasons, like, "I made this game only for the Gamecube and don't want people playing with a keyboard." Stuff that really made no sense, but it was the final word.

The Keyboard comment, lmao.

Neapolitan

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

I understand that these devs tried to maintain the "artistic integrity" of the works, but these comments sounds misguided at best.

Ravidrath

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I understand that these devs tried to maintain the "artistic integrity" of the works, but these comments sounds misguided at best.

Yeah, like... really? Your game can't possibly be enjoyed without a comically large A button?

I think giving creators deference is a good thing, but not when we're talking about personal preferences and politics standing in the way of basic business sense.

I've had many similarly depressing discussions with Japanese developers about getting onto Steam, too. They bring up one excuse after another, I knock them down one-by-one, and eventually it comes down to "Look, do you want to make money? Then you need to get over all of these quibbles and exercise some authority over your employees."

At the very least, I think this helps explain why so few Japanese games let you remap your controls.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
SEGA's relationship with Camelot was so bad that Camelot ditched them before the Dreamcast came out. SEGA consistently gave them the absolute minimum budget possible for every game even though (at the time) Shining was one of SEGA's biggest series. They will never work together again.

I heard rumors Sega asking them to do a game around 2004, and Camelot refusing.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, like... really? Your game can't possibly be enjoyed without a comically large A button?

I think giving creators deference is a good thing, but not when we're talking about personal preferences and politics standing in the way of basic business sense.

I've had many similarly depressing discussions with Japanese developers about getting onto Steam, too. They bring up one excuse after another, I knock them down one-by-one, and eventually it comes down to "Look, do you want to make money? Then you need to get over all of these quibbles and exercise some authority over your employees."

At the very least, I think this helps explain why so few Japanese games let you remap your controls.

Of all the people, you would think devs would be the most tech savy ones lol.

Neapolitan

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

Yeah, I'm still scratching my head why they don't want to rework the game at all. It's not like the port is done without their supervision if integrity is what they're worrying about.

Also, apparently it is not isolated to gamedev scene. Same kind of incident happened when manga author is asked to reboot the show. The author refused citingequally mind boggling reason. Of course fans are upset for this turn of event. I guess a number Japanese artists share the same sentiments.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm still scratching my head why they don't want to rework the game at all. It's not like the port is done without their supervision if integrity is what they're worrying about.

Also, apparently it is not isolated to gamedev scene. Same kind of incident happened when manga author is asked to reboot the show. The author refused citingequally mind boggling reason. Of course fans are upset for this turn of event. I guess a number Japanese artists share the same sentiments.

Japan takes their voice actors super seriously. Like, I'm 90% sure that the fact that Monokuma had a new voice actress in the JP version was the main reason he barely had any lines in the DR3 anime, and that the Monokubs were in V3 just to draw attention away from him.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't this the game that motivated Sega to start taking down all of the "Shining" videos on Youtube of previous games to improve their SEO?

Either way, as much as I liked the classic Shining games I'm not touching any Shining game made by Sega with a ten-foot pole. They can thank their SEO master for that.

Neapolitan

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Japan takes their voice actors super seriously. Like, I'm 90% sure that the fact that Monokuma had a new voice actress in the JP version was the main reason he barely had any lines in the DR3 anime, and that the Monokubs were in V3 just to draw attention away from him.

Definitely. When it comes to one VA (like Monokuma you mentioned) it should be manageable.

Problem arise when the creator invoked the no-touching policy to the entire VA lineup. I understand what the creators' PoV, but unfortunately it is nigh impossible to pull off from the producers' PoV. It's the same conundrum jp-game port producer facing.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ooh I remember this game. I liked the little bit I saw of it so I was bummed it never came west. Sounds like the reaction to it was a bit mixed but I'd still love to get the chance to play it.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
If this come to the west, i'll probably buy it just to support the franchise. Maybe if it's successful enough Sega woud make another Shining Force (A real one, not a dumb Exo or Neo)

ShinkuTachi

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 29, 2017
Shining Resonance Refrain (PS4) Opening Movie

DarknessTear please feel free to update the OP if you like.

Seriously, such a nostalgia flood watching this video. I absolutely can't wait to play this again. ^_^

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

You can tell ERA has a lot of PC dorks (I'm joking, calm down), because to me this is a bigger deal than the other stuff. Like holy fuck, the creator of DQ doesn't like the creator of FF?? I don't know why that makes me sad, but it does.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
That art style looks really really good. O.O

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
Is the gameplay anything like Kingdom Hearts. It looks a bit more like Tales of Berseria from videos I've seen.