Sitrus

Oct 31, 2017
Am I the only one getting 20-25fps on the Switch version for battles with several enemies? And framedrops when attacking at all, and when any attack animations are played?

EDIT: I don't know why but it feels like the gameplay is slower than the other versions? As in slow-motion?

Last edited:

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
demo seemed fine on the switch handheld mode but can't decide to play final on XB1X or switch

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My copy (Switch version) from Simply Games arrived on Saturday and reached chapter 4 yesterday. After putting a bit of time into it I think i'm about ready to drop it and trade it in when it gets officially released on Tuesday.

The game seems like it was made on a very tight budget. A lot of cutscenes are essentially just visual novel type scenes. Even action scenes are done in this kind of way. For example, a fight scene is about to play out and instead of a grand battle you get a character talking, it fades to black, you hear a sword swing and see a strike on screen, the character then reappears on screen and talks about what just happened. Its pretty awful.

The game is very generic both in character design and the way they act. You have an edgy white haired antagonist, a character with memory loss, a cheery upbeat party member....you get the idea. It all feels and looks very cookie cutter.

I know a lot of people weren't happy with some of the outfits in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and I think this will also be met with the same criticism. The extra outfits you get are stuff like swimsuits and maid outfits.

Obviously these are just my ow thoughts from playing over the weekend but this is releasing in the same week as Octopath Traveller and from what I have played of this I recommend people who are wanting to play a JRPG just wait an extra few days for that to release. It will be interesting to see what those who have completed the game think of it when the reviews do drop.
I have to say I'm surprised the game has a English dub with its shoestring budget

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Am I the only one getting 20-25fps on the Switch version for battles with several enemies? And framedrops when attacking at all, and when any attack animations are played?

EDIT: I don't know why but it feels like the gameplay is slower than the other versions? As in slow-motion?

The game feels a bit janky docked. It seems like it struggles to achieve 30fps. It feels a lot better in handheld mode.

It's not going to compare to 60fps on other consoles/PC, but I sacrificed that for portability for the first time. It actually feels nice to play it in handheld mode.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if it's big enough to warrant a review thread, but some scores are rolling in-

Nintendo life-7/10
http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/shining_resonance_refrain

Trusted reviews-3/5
https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/shining-resonance-refrain

We got this covered-3/5
https://www.google.com/amp/wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/shining-resonance-refrain-review/amp/

Seems like a decent game, if not a mold breaker by any means.

Game explain review (they liked it)

Sitrus

Oct 31, 2017
The game feels a bit janky docked. It seems like it struggles to achieve 30fps. It feels a lot better in handheld mode.

It's not going to compare to 60fps on other consoles/PC, but I sacrificed that for portability for the first time. It actually feels nice to play it in handheld mode.
Yes, it feels MUCH better in handheld. I'm not sure why docked feels so, sluggish. Like the game logic is running slower in docked mode.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I liked what I played so far - undocked only btw. Sure, it's generic, but over 1h in and I find myself feeling entertained enough to continue playing. If you don't take this game too serious, I think you'll have a good enough time with it if you're open to JRPG and Anime tropes and such. I enjoy it more than, say, Tales of Zesteria for sure.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Yes, it feels MUCH better in handheld. I'm not sure why docked feels so, sluggish. Like the game logic is running slower in docked mode.
720p handheld vs 1080p docked. The Switch probably can't handle it.

After docking, I wondered if I should have picked up another version because it would be really nice to play this on a large screen at 4K/60, but I have plenty of other RPGs on other platforms. My Switch needs more.

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
i'm actually intrested by the game i'm just unsure if i want to play this on PS4 or on the switch ..i think i'll wait for more impressions

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
They should have just made a new Shining Soul game on the Switch instead of focusing on a lackluster game to port.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Just played the demo, and sadly as a fan of these Tales-like action RPG battle systems and as someone with high tolerance for dumb anime bullshit, the demo didn't do anything to interest me. The little bit of early combat in the demo didn't feel very satisfying to control. I watched the GameExplain review posted above and that didn't inspire much hope either. The reviewer really didn't give the impression there's that much more to the combat, which is what I was hoping for. Seems to me like a pretty cookie-cutter yet not particularly well executed game with a hentai artist and waifu mechanics. I really wanted to like it, too.

I'll just wait until winter for Tales of Vesperia, which is another remaster of a PS3-era action JRPG.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Just played the demo, and sadly as a fan of these Tales-like action RPG battle systems and as someone with high tolerance for dumb anime bullshit, the demo didn't do anything to interest me. The little bit of early combat in the demo didn't feel very satisfying to control. I watched the GameExplain review posted above and that didn't inspire much hope either. The reviewer really didn't give the impression there's that much more to the combat, which is what I was hoping for. Seems to me like a pretty cookie-cutter yet not particularly well executed game with a hentai artist and waifu mechanics. I really wanted to like it, too.

I'll just wait until winter for Tales of Vesperia, which is another remaster of a PS3-era action JRPG.
perfect way to explain. Tales and Xenoblade are the highlights of current ARPG.. and Ys is about as low as I am willing to accept (often helped by it's music and characters). This just felt almost indie (not in a good way) in its presentation of action and controls.

not 100% writing it off... but it definitely will need a sale (or lull in games) for me to seriously look at it.

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly find that hard to believe, lol.

How did he manage to do that?

A lot of people think his art looks boring/samey and he started doing the art around the time when the games got worse. Personally I like his art and I can't blame an artist for the games being pretty mediocre...

I've heard from friends who imported that this game is good but I think I'll definitely wait for a price drop myself. The demo wasn't very good

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The Shining games Media.Vision has made are across the board their worst products (outside of Valkyria Revolution). There's even a PSP release in the VC3 engine / gameplay style that manages to be awful through nonexistent balance and poor story.

They're one of my favourite smaller JRPG studios, but don't get your or anyone elses hopes up for this.

The Shining series still under MediaVision's wing is the equivalent of Sonic Team still being in charge of Sonic (Mania and Boom series notwithstanding). Sega needs to seriously reconsider who's in charge of producing some of their key IPs.

Guess Valkyria fans lucked out that VC4 went to another group, despite MediaVision producing both VC3 and Revolution.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
My review is certainly still forthcoming. The combat doesn't have me hooked yet but I'll see how complex how things get with the extra mechanics and characters (playing on Refrain mode).

Instead of working on this yesterday, I started playing Wild Arms 3, a better Media Vision IP.

Zareth

Oct 25, 2017
One day maybe they'll make a true successor to the shining force games I so dearly crave.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
In the wake of ginormous RPGs like Witcher and Xenoblade 2 these kind of titles are nice to pick up every now and then. Smaller (both in budget and presentation) which hurts at times but overall lets me relax a bit if Im just looking to play an RPG. In Chapter 3 you get access to a "daily" dungeon like area which not only gives better rewards/XP but it helps kill an hour or so if you don't have a lot of time and need a bite-sized chunk.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think a review thread or OT has been done yet, but here's links to our review if anyone is curious on getting an additional look.

Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVKBU--HfPQ
Text - http://leveldowngames.com/shining-resonance-refrain-review/

Thanks for posting your link.

I don't know why but I'm waiting on RGT 85 (YouTuber) review before I hit the purchase button. I learned about this game from him when he told other youtubers he's reviewing this game instead of Octopath Traveler.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd probably be all over this if Ys VIII didn't come out a week ago. Way too similar, and I'm already a few hours into Ys.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Tony Taka isn't just the artist, he pretty much runs the Shining series

ElOdyssey

Oct 30, 2017
From my experience of the demo it screamed mediocrity. Rolled my eyes when I saw her outfit and the basic ass gameplay. Ugh.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
So wait they put a hentai artist with no previous game design experience in charge of Shining Force?
He's just the artist, it's not like he actually made the game itself. Also, it's extremely common to find artists who used to (or still do even) draw hentai in big-name games. Xenoblade 2 is a recent example.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I'm at work i can't read review, any comment on the overall difficulty ? Easy ? Challenging ? very grindy ? Thank !

Jan 11, 2018
I know you can date both the male and female characters, but are they just as romantic regardless of your pick? Or will dating the guys just default to friendship/bromance or treat the same-sex pairings as a joke? The trophies certainly seem to indicate that :/