Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've never been more thankful for the police scanners to be wrong. I'm hoping the hospitalized victims all make full recoveries.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Nope, I'm calling you out. Don't expect respect when your argumetative aim (in a thread about a shooting!) is in defense of gun ownership instead of people.

Edit: updated to reflect no one has died aside from the shooter
Calling him out? For an argumentative aim that in no way precluded them from caring about the people? Who are you?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I've never been more thankful for the police scanners to be wrong. I'm hoping the hospitalized victims all make full recoveries.

I really question reported police scanner chatter being accurate. No way even in active situation 4 casualties turn into 37. Maybe something like "3 to 7" was said and poster heard it as "37"?

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Is it..

NRA = terrorist organization.
Gun = funds NRA
Gun owner = funds terrorism.

?

I'm asking. not telling.

Fuck outta here with this insipid bullshit.

And no the NRA isn't a terrorist organization. Plenty of criticism to lay but you do the cause of sensible gun legislation no good with such drivel.

Gun owners support terrorism? So I should be sent to where terrorists go because I own a legal firearm? Cause that's how we deal with terrorists.

Oct 25, 2017
Konoha
Calling him out? For an argumentative aim that in no way precluded them from caring about the people? Who are you?
Discussions about certain topics aren't worth having on reset because people post with emotions in response to arguments. In most gun control/immigration threads it spawns out of control because few people want to discuss actual policy or it turns into a "gotcha" back and fourth. It's one of my problems with people who are now "woke" because of trump.

Oct 25, 2017
Friend who works at youtube was off site from the main building along with his entire team today thankfully.
God things need to change asap.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Police are there in mins for this because it's a billion dollar corporation

They were quick on Vegas too.

They are going to use the fact that it's a domestic situation as a cover as if it still isn't related to Gun Violence. It keeps coming back to Parkland, those kids said fuck it forreal, and there's a strong team behind that. They been preaching for about a month, and now we have guns at YouTube HQ. This shit is ramping up.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know this sucks but hopefully there's a silver lining to this and that's for these big corporations to pick a side on the gun debate.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can y'all stop yelling at gun owners in here? Like seriously? This is the exact kind of inside conflict people running orgs like the NRA want to incite within left-leaning circles. Suddenly we're no longer just "progressive", we're "pro gun progressive" and "anti gun progressive", when in reality the common sense solution is to be working together on this shit.

Get a hold of yourselves.

If you are a gun owner for reasons other than sport shooting or hunting you're part of the problem though.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
So has anything been released on why the shooter went to Youtube, was she after a single person, what kind of gun was involved, was there a history of mental health issues with the shooter, etc? As far as I know California has some of the strictest handgun laws in the country with a 10 day waiting period for handguns so it couldn't have just been a heat of passion kind of thing.

Sad thing to have happened but it seems like its going to get a lot more exposure due to the tech nature of the biz involved, there are a few thousand (more?) incidents of 1-2 death gun violence between people who know each other every year in the country but few get any national attention.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
So has anything been released on why the shooter went to Youtube, was she after a single person, what kind of gun was involved, was there a history of mental health issues with the shooter, etc? As far as I know California has some of the strictest handgun laws in the country with a 10 day waiting period for handguns so it couldn't have just been a heat of passion kind of thing.

Officials: YouTube shooting may be domestic dispute

5:40 p.m.

Two law enforcement officials say a shooting that wounded three people at YouTube headquarters in California is being investigated as a domestic dispute.

The officials with knowledge of the investigation spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss it.

San Bruno Police Chief Ed Barberini says a woman opened fire with a handgun in an outdoor courtyard Tuesday and then died after shooting herself. Police provided no motive or other details about her.

Hospital officials have said a man is in critical condition and two women are in serious and fair condition.
https://apnews.com/3c7250eb9d824a5b...n=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

Oct 29, 2017

They are going to use the fact that it's a domestic situation as a cover as if it still isn't related to Gun Violence. It keeps coming back to Parkland, those kids said fuck it forreal, and there's a strong team behind that. They been preaching for about a month, and now we have guns at YouTube HQ. This shit is ramping up.
As a resident of San Bruno, the police force here is pretty good for the most part. My interactions with them have been mostly pleasant.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Fuck outta here with this insipid bullshit.

And no the NRA isn't a terrorist organization. Plenty of criticism to lay but you do the cause of sensible gun legislation no good with such drivel.

Gun owners support terrorism? So I should be sent to where terrorists go because I own a legal firearm? Cause that's how we deal with terrorists.

Now is not the time to talk about these issues.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Talking about it is fine. Voting is better. But ridiculous hyperbole and claiming law abiding gun owners are supporting terrorism when incidents like this just feeds the bullshit narrative of the far-right.
Voting is better.

I'm not sure we need to label it terrorism. We can call it what it is. I call it terrorism but lets pretend its not for a second.

If the NRA lobbies for the blocking of gun laws, and the NRA is supported by gun manufacturers for the express purpose of ensuring said gun manufacturers keep good business. Does giving gun manufacturers business mean you are supporting the NRA?
No? Why doesnt it? Because you obey the law and have the right to own a gun? Having the right to own a gun doesn't exempt a person form being responsible for what they do just because there is no law against it.

It's like buying a diamond ring for your SO. That rock could have a horrible history behind it in Africa. But because we are law abiding diamond ring owners and Africa is all the way over there. We shouldn't feel responsible. There's is nothing that can be done. We need to have diamond rings.

We are law abiding smart phone users, that are not at all directly responsible for any deplorable working conditions in china for the phones that are made so that we can afford them. We need to have smart phones.

I don't see the hyperbole. we cant pretend we aren't int he cogwork of causality. Everyone is responsible for something somewhere somehow there doesnt have to be a law agaisnt it for it to be true.

If you give money to the people that make guns and they give money to the NRA. You give money to the NRA, and as much as you tell yourself you don't, you do. But there's no law against it. So, what matters is if you are ok with that or not.

tino

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://heavy.com/news/2018/04/nasim-aghdam-youtube-shooting-suspect-channel-instagram-photos/
"Nasim the Persian Azeri female vegan bodybuilder, also animal rights activist promoting healthy and humane living. Nasim produced and launched the first Persian TV commercial and music video (Do You Dare) regarding animal rights and veganism through international Iranian satellite Television in 2010," reads the "About" section on her YouTube channel.

huh

"This account has been terminated due to multiple or severe violations of YouTube's policy against spam, deceptive practices, and misleading content or other Terms of Service violations."

Never heard of this banning before.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

Sad thing to have happened but it seems like its going to get a lot more exposure due to the tech nature of the biz involved, there are a few thousand (more?) incidents of 1-2 death gun violence between people who know each other every year in the country but few get any national attention.

You can own a gun for 5 years and decide to murder someone in the heat of passion.

Waiting periods only help to curb someone reactively buying a gun on a whim to do something awful, but they don't really stop anything at all. Just maybe give someone time to cool off, but chances are if they buy a gun to murder someone and "chill out" in 10 days, they're still very likely to murder a person later in life.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can own a gun for 5 years and decide to murder someone in the heat of passion.

Waiting periods only help to curb someone reactively buying a gun on a whim to do something awful, but they don't really stop anything at all. Just maybe give someone time to cool off, but chances are if they buy a gun to murder someone and "chill out" in 10 days, they're still very likely to murder a person later in life.
While this is true, that doesn't mean waiting periods are useless; it just means they aren't going to prevent gun violence on their own.

Oct 27, 2017

What the hell is that supposed to mean? There's a lot of police presence in that area because these sort of places are always going to be targeted for robberies.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
https://heavy.com/news/2018/04/nasim-aghdam-youtube-shooting-suspect-channel-instagram-photos/
"Nasim the Persian Azeri female vegan bodybuilder, also animal rights activist promoting healthy and humane living. Nasim produced and launched the first Persian TV commercial and music video (Do You Dare) regarding animal rights and veganism through international Iranian satellite Television in 2010," reads the "About" section on her YouTube channel.

huh
Yikes. Do we have any implication to her motive for the shooting yet?