Deleted member 2913

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this was posted, so not only did the Father say something about her to police, the brother did too? :/

Typhonsentra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You often hear people say "if it's a brown suspect (usually meaning Muslim) it's called terrorism, if it's a white suspect it's called mental health".

But it's not true, as this incident proves.

The lady was from a Muslim background, recognised to be "brown" from an American perspective, but people aren't jumping on the "it's called terrorism" angle.

Because the terrorism incidents are clearly influenced by Islamist idealogy and politics, and are literally terrorism. And this woman's wasn't.

If a person from a Muslim background did a shooting without any Islamist motivation, it wouldn't be called terrorism. As in this incident.
Basically this, it was always a false narrative. News networks never rush to declare something terrorism, there is a standard policy in place to wait until there is a confirmed motive. With Islamic terror it just so happens tge suspect will leave notes and detailed explanations behind.

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this was posted, so not only did the Father say something about her to police, the brother did too? :/

This seems to be a common thread in recent high-profile public shootings such as this and Parkland - the police were warned but didn't prevent them. Hindsight is 20/20, of course, but it still makes one wonder if there's a systemic failure in the way law enforcement responds to warnings.

Thisman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You often hear people say "if it's a brown suspect (usually meaning Muslim) it's called terrorism, if it's a white suspect it's called mental health".

The lady was from a Muslim background, recognised to be "brown" from an American perspective, but people aren't jumping on the "it's called terrorism" angle.

Because the terrorism incidents are clearly influenced by Islamist idealogy and politics, and are literally terrorism. And this woman's wasn't.

If a person from a Muslim background did a shooting without any Islamist motivation, it wouldn't be called terrorism. As in this incident.

It should be. She was supposedly motivated by her feeling discriminated for being a vegan and an animal rights person so that in itself is political/social motivation

Ultryx

Oct 27, 2017
United States
This seems to be a common thread in recent high-profile public shootings such as this and Parkland - the police were warned but didn't prevent them. Hindsight is 20/20, of course, but it still makes one wonder if there's a systemic failure in the way law enforcement responds to warnings.

I only heard that they [the parents] contacted the police because she was missing and didn't pick up her phone for 2 days. Father said she might be going to YouTube because she "hated" the company. Then there are reports of police questioning a woman by her name, found sleeping in a car in the area. What else can they do though if she hasn't actually "done" anything wrong at that point?

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Hope this doesn't spur on others to copy this. There's a lot of people out there who feel unfairly treated by the youtube clamp down. It's logistically and economically very difficult to get everything correct and to offer a human explanation.

Since the authorities were informed, maybe something could've been done to reconcile the situation with a youtube consultant in a police station.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to judge whether they're not taking these tips as seriously as they should be without knowing how many tips they get that turn out to be false alarms. Without trampling someone's civil rights I suspect that it's challenging to do much in a case like this.

DeeDogg

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Florida
I did not expect that outcome...
Where did that "a guy in a shooting vest and glasses came in" story sprout from? And why make that up?

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So she tried to create a living on YouTube ad revenue of all places and then tried to shoot up the main campus because she felt like they essentially fired her? Or something?

Why do we allow people to buy and store ammunition at all if this is what it takes for someone to stock pile and shoot up a place of business?

What a nutter.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
The BBC have a page about the shooter - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43638221 and it had a Stefan Molyneux twitter post on it. I sent the BBC an email with a Southern Poverty Law Center link about him and now they have removed it and have someone else. Pretty fast work by the BBC.
As for the shooting, not sure if anything could've been done to stop her. Luckily there was only one fatality.

Skeleton

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

Having watched some videos it reminds me a lot of Buffalo Bill, she's insane. Glad no one bar her crazy ass was killed.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
So she tried to create a living on YouTube ad revenue of all places and then tried to shoot up the main campus because she felt like they essentially fired her? Or something?

Why do we allow people to buy and store ammunition at all if this is what it takes for someone to stock pile and shoot up a place of business?

What a nutter.

Something Something freedom is great and the constitution is sacrosanct

I don't actually believe that shit.

MindofKB

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Yesterday's reporting really opened my eyes to how many people just wing it regarding information.

In just about an hour's time, we heard:

- The shooter is a man in body armor
- The shooter is a white woman
- This was about infidelity
-The shooter only came for her boyfriend
- There were 30+ casualties

None of this turned out to be true.

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to judge whether they're not taking these tips as seriously as they should be without knowing how many tips they get that turn out to be false alarms. Without trampling someone's civil rights I suspect that it's challenging to do much in a case like this.

It can be hard to understand if someone has never dealt with missing persons reports/situations. People are allowed to be weird, and up and disappear. Basically all police are allowed to do is ask the person if they are okay.

pewpewtora

Nov 23, 2017
Connecticut
Just woke up and saw the perp and the reason for the shooting. People losing their shit over age restricted videos now wtf. Scary to think that a supposedly harmless change in an algorithm running a site can lead to crazies showing up at your door.
To a lot of people Youtube is their livelihood, but I still am shocked that she'd be willing to try and shoot up the place because of demonitization.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
NBC's updated / new story on this.

YouTube shooter Nasim Aghdam visited gun range, had contact with police before shooting

Nasim Aghdam, who had been reported missing, had said YouTube was discriminating against her animal-rights and vegan videos.

YouTube shooting suspect Nasim Aghdam visited a gun range hours before she showed up at the company's California campus — packing a legally registered pistol and a grudge — and opened fire, wounding three people before she killed herself, police said Wednesday.

"We know that she was upset with YouTube," San Bruno Police Chief Ed Barberini said at a news conference.

Barberini said his department is investigating reports that Aghdam's family, who reported her missing, told neighboring Mountain View Police that she hated YouTube and might be found there.

Mountain View officers had found her sleeping in her car early Tuesday, before the shooting, and decided she did not pose a threat, officials said.
San Bruno police said they did not get any report from Mountain View that Aghdam might head there before she accessed the campus around lunchtime and started shooting in the courtyard with a Smith & Wesson 9 mm semiautomatic handgun that she had purchased legally, Barberini said.

He said Aghdam fired "quite a few" shots but there is no indication she was targeting specific people. When police arrived, they found one wounded victim on site, two others who had fled to a neighboring building and Aghdam dead from what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot, Barberini said.
The 38-year-old San Diego resident was an extremist extremist vegan who claimed on her social media accounts that YouTube was discriminating against her videos, many of which focused on animal rights and veganism — mixed in with bizarre musical parodies.

"Youtube (sic) filtered my channels to keep them from getting views!" Aghdam wrote on her website.

"There is no free speech in real world & you will be suppressed for telling the truth that is not supported by the system. Videos of targeted users are filtered & merely relegated, so that people can hardly see their videos!"
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...am-was-vegan-who-had-complained-about-n862586

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
Yesterday's reporting really opened my eyes to how many people just wing it regarding information.

I think the domestic dispute was being claimed with multiple sources. Geez..

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

I think the domestic dispute was being claimed with multiple sources. Geez..

And only source for 30+ casulties claim that I have seen was ERA poster listening in on scanner.

Notice how they had to make that Iran dig. Surprised they're not blaming Iran in general for the actions of this one deranged individual.
And probably the reason she didn't kill any bystanders. I can't believe we are at a place where I'm relieved to hear it was only a 9mm.
Tell me about it. How desensitized will we get before some real action is taken, I have no clue.

Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain

Basically this, it was always a false narrative. News networks never rush to declare something terrorism, there is a standard policy in place to wait until there is a confirmed motive. With Islamic terror it just so happens tge suspect will leave notes and detailed explanations behind.

Yay, white people celebrating the media's non-racism.

(The media does cover crimes in ethnic lenses, whether you want to admit it or not).

Oct 30, 2017

I gotta nitpick here a little bit. If I had to look at a picture of this woman and claim some kind of ethnicity, I'd probably have trouble. She could be Greek, Italian, Romanian, Portuguese and who knows what else. You ever seen the wide array of Iranians that are out there? Look at Mark Zandi for example:

markzandi-large_600x400.jpg

Typhonsentra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yay, white people celebrating the media's non-racism.

(The media does cover crimes in ethnic lenses, whether you want to admit it or not).
Who would disagree with that? What a weird response.

Regardless of any other discusdion of biases, the point stands tgat media oitlets have fairly strict standards they use before using the T-Word. It is not used loosely when it comes to Islam-inspired attacks over the past decade or so. Aside from Fox, they wait until formal confirmation is received on a consistent basis.

Last edited:

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really surprised that this was actually a mass shooting attempt and not some boyfriend thing, and she still only hit 3 people but fired 40 shots. wtf

Emobacca

Nov 2, 2017

Doesn't help you have morons (with followings) on Twitter mass RT'ing every little morsel of information. This happens every mass shooting.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course a woman's only issue in life is a BF revenge. LMAO.
Oh shut up, the early reports were that "sources" were saying it was an ex-boyfriend she was targeting and police were looking at it like a domestic dispute. That was yesterday, so i said i was surprised given only 3 people were shot, because it certainly fit that story.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Oct 25, 2017
In addition to everything else that was unexpected about this latest shooting, the amount of bleating on about youtube censorship/demonetization that goes on in right wing and 'centrist' youtube channels (despite it affecting pretty much everyone) makes it surprising to me that this women was the first one to do something like this. radicalised/deranged people always think there's someone out to get them specifically I guess

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Oh shut up, the early reports were that "sources" were saying it was an ex-boyfriend she was targeting and police were looking at it like a domestic dispute. That was yesterday, so i said i was surprised given only 3 people were shot, because it certainly fit that story.
Those early "reports" had no credibility even at the time.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

AFAIK the only source on that was a CNN anchor who kind of made up the speculation on the spot.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AFAIK the only source on that was a CNN anchor who kind of made up the speculation on the spot.
Yeah hence "sources" . Doesn't change the fact everyone following along at the time yesterday was seeing that bullet point frequently, and with only 3 injured in a large crowd you would think it was a targeted situation. Anyway, poster was implying my goto with women was boyfriend shit when in fact i was referencing yesterdays stories.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah hence "sources" . Doesn't change the fact everyone following along at the time yesterday was seeing that bullet point frequently, and with only 3 injured in a large crowd you would think it was a targeted situation. Anyway, poster was implying my goto with women was boyfriend shit when in fact i was referencing yesterdays stories.

Well I'm not going to give anyone shit about it considering how much everyone was getting wrong, just wanted to give the source of that theory.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

I would think if its their own family making the warnings and willing to be on record, that maybe they should take it seriously.
She has this crazed look in every image I've seen of this woman. Gave me the chills to be frank.

yeah i saw her website. She was insane.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Really surprised that this was actually a mass shooting attempt and not some boyfriend thing, and she still only hit 3 people but fired 40 shots. wtf

She probably was not really good shot or really trained much. Sadly there is no requirement for someone to actually know how to use a gun to buy one, you have to figure it out all on your own, and so many people at the range really have no clue how to properly handle their guns. A friend got a desert eagle, can barely handle it, constantly misses the target.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Also she used a handgun right? Handguns are a lot harder to aim than assault rifles. Add another to the list of reasons we need to get rid of assault weapons.
Yeah wayy harder to shoot people with a handgun vs a long gun especially when you are under some duress which most people are when live shooting.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda figured. You'd need to have pretty poor aim to hit 3 other people besides the one you were aiming for when they didn't know you were coming, or decide to fire from really far away for no reason.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Also she used a handgun right? Handguns are a lot harder to aim than assault rifles. Add another to the list of reasons we need to get rid of assault weapons.
Handguns are disproportionately used in homicides and other crimes compared to long guns because they're easier to conceal. Banning handguns would be more effective at preventing gun crime overall.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
The vast majority of gun murders are committed with pistols.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41488081
bbc_-_Copy.png
We're specifically speaking to mass shootings. That pie chart looks much different if you widdle it down to one person shooting at many people. If she would have had an AR-15, there wouldn't be 3 people injured, there would be quite a few more injuries or deaths. The difference between the weapons when it comes to lethality is pretty significant, all things considered.