• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
If you look at most of the criticism towards Sekiro it basically boils down to 'it's not soulsy enough'.

Would From becoming a kind of Souls factory which only makes souls games spare people from the disappointment of the next From game not being Soulsy enough?

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sekiro isn't a "Soulsborne", is a great game and is selling well. So no. Let them do what they want.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
From are already a Souls factory. Including Bloodborne, they've released five titles in seven years. If anything, they need to move on.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
no gimme armored core...

Or better yet, give me a soulsborne armored core!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
The fact that the game does not appeal to certain souls fans, it does only make it better

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
No.

Let them do what they want.

But if they're wanted to doing Soulsborne forever, then that would be irony.

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
Swear if FROM made a complete genre change, you guys would try to ham-fist that game's style in to a portmanteau with Sekiroulsborne.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
People need to realise From should do what it does best: make great games, Souls-like or not. Sometimes it's like the whole portfolio before Demon's Souls doesn't exist if I see people talk about Souls-games. While I'm sure there are a lot of Armored Core-fans for example.

As for the criticism towards Sekiro being not "Soulsy enough", it's all on the unfair expectations people had of this game. Didn't From constantly repeated Sekiro wouldn't be like a Souls-game? And even then, there is more than enough in that game that might appeal to Souls-fans.

Oct 27, 2017
At this point i'm really worried they are going to back being soulsborne factory. Well, if that will happen they will lose me. I don't want a Bloodborne 2, don't want a Dark Souls 4.

At best a Demon Souls remaster would be cool, but just because i never played it.

I want a Sekiro 2 though.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
No. Hell, Sekiro has a lot more souls DNA than I expected, I would like them to do a bigger departure for their next game.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
No! The Souls series is fantastic but i wouldn't want a developer as talented as From to do the same kind of game forever. Let them experiment.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
No damn it, I want a new Otogi
075.jpg

And no, true From fans would not want to stifle their creativity by forcing them to only make Souls games.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
I want a full on horror game by From. They should not be restricted to the Souls formula just because some fans can't adjust.

Kaltz

Mar 19, 2019
I'd like them to try to do another horror game like Kuon. It's gonna get boring if they only make the same genre of games when they are capable of doing other ones.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like this OP is poorly thought and poor researched.

You put one sentence that says most of the criticism is because it is not Soulsy enough. Where are you hearing this? ERA alone?

The game has gotten amazing reviews. It is a hit on Twitch. Looks to be selling very well, yet you focus on some off commentary by some Souls fans? Very weird.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I love the souls games but they're at their best when they make what they want to make. They're a great studio full of creativity, it would be a shame to limit them to a single genre of games.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Sekiro has proven that it doesn't actually matter how much they deviate from Souls: if it's in the same genre, people will constantly complain that it isn't just Dark Souls 1 exactly the same as it was when that released again.

The last thing From should be doing is trying to please people that unreasonable.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
They make what they think is interesting and fun. Not all developers has this luxury so let them do what they want. Here is a qoute from Miyazaki in a recent interview.
Miyazaki is asked what he thinks defines From Software, and he calls this a difficult question, and says that it might be that they make games with things that they think are fun or have value, or are beautiful or cool, at the root; He says that in most cases, this results in something that is not conventional, and this is what makes the "colour" of From Software. He says that they do not rely on looking at markets or trying to differentiate themselves from others when making games, and that they are fortunate that things are going well for them, giving his thanks to the players.
Source: https://www.frontlinejp.net/2019/04...his-vision-and-how-it-was-conceived-part-2-2/

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
If you look at most of the criticism towards Sekiro it basically boils down to 'it's not soulsy enough'.

Would From becoming a kind of Souls factory which only makes souls games spare people from the disappointment of the next From game not being Soulsy enough?
What disappointment? Criticism that Sekiro isn't like Dark Souls is just plain stewpid.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne 2, dark souls 4, sekiro 2, whatever type of action game they make is an auto buy from me.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
they should "spread their wings" and do a multiplayer looter shooter, worked out well for Bethesda and Bioware.
/jk

Honestly, I want them to keep banging out these games, as long as possible. No need to reinvent the wheel, when you got a solid product on your hands with lots of possible new takes, settings, mechanics etc.

As for the criticism towards Sekiro being not "Soulsy enough", it's all on the unfair expectations people had of this game. Didn't From constantly repeated Sekiro wouldn't be like a Souls-game? And even then, there is more than enough in that game that might appeal to Souls-fans.
The game has gotten amazing reviews. It is a hit on Twitch. Looks to be selling very well, yet you focus on some off commentary by some Souls fans? Very weird.

LOL people here are really saying Sekiro is not "Soulsy" enough?
I guess it's similar to Eskimos arguing about the colors of snow.

For me Sekiro is just a fresh take on the Souls formula. And it's amazing.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
no because Sekiro showed that they can alternate the formula and still bring a great gaming experience.

and imo, "Soulslike" don´t have to ever come back, there are enough games in the style to play and i rather would like new experiences.
Sequelitis sucks

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
No, they should make what they want

and they clearly dont want to make soulsborne for a bit - although im still thinking we might aee BB 2 for ps5. Thye seem to be movijng more in towards an aggressive style of play and i think wirth the Bloodborne style they could expand that

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
If you want a souls type game there's 5 out there that you can play and re-play forever, we don't need another Souls game. At least not right now. I'm happy for them to do new things like Sekiro and I hope it continues.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
When we talk about implementing difficulty levels, they are free to do what they want, so let's extend that courtesy here, huh ?

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Soulsbornes are my favorite games since Demon's Souls came out.

Heck no should they only make these kind of games.

I miss the older stuff From used to put out like Armored Core and Ninja Blade.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
No, I want them to experiment with different genres. I'd like one every now and then, hopefully with a different setting each time, but I'd say it's time for something new.

Ant_17

Oct 28, 2017
Greece
I'm confused, I though Sekiro was amazing and now I'm hearing people had nitpicks? I think From should make a racing game and see if that is "souls" enough.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
I really like Sekiro and although it deviates slightly from the typical From formula I think they should stick to what they are excellent at.
I just want reskinned Soulsbornes.

Last edited:

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Dark Souls is my favorite thing they've ever made and I think Sekiro was still too souls-y. It still had vestigial Souls elements that did not need to be there. With Sekiro 2 I hope they'll push even further away from that.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a Dark Souls 4 eventually. But not for another 5 years minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.