• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
With talks of Gamefreak rebooting Pokemon to some capacity, I was wondering if this is a good chance for them to redo Megas as real evolutions and not a battle mechanic.

Fans have always wanted the three stage rule for an evolutionary line to be done away with, and perhaps Gamefreak can make Megas a fourth stage in Pokemon switch

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No. The designs don't feel like evolutions, they just feel like powered up versions of the Pokemon.

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, some of them are straight broken and the only offset to that is that you can only have one on a team.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, best just keep them as megas. I don't want to even imagine the stupid Eviolite shenanigans that you could get from some of them.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
I wouldn't be totally against it. I think Mega Evolutions are a bit of a failure. They absolutely break the story mode of the games that you can get them in (because Gamefreak didn't care to balance the games around their biggest new feature). Competitively, I remember them being fine under the Smogon ruleset, but annoyingly repetitive under the more official rules-but I haven't played since X/Y came out so don't take my word for that.

STGHMAAV

Oct 26, 2017
No, in the competitive side, megas are too powerful, also, there's the limitation of having an object attached that allows Pokémon to Mega-Evolve, Mega-Rayquaza doesn't need any megastone and the competitive community had to make a new tier above Ubers, just for Mega-Rayquaza.

Deleted member 9714

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it would be interesting to see the power toned down and have them become alternate forms only accessible when a Pokémon has max friendship and EVs.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but make it so that their forms are unstable, and if you choose to have your Pokémon permanently mega-evolve, there's a chance they will eventually explode.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I did not like the Mega mechanic so I wouldn't really like them to be brought back in any form but that's just me. It does seem a bit silly to design these things and not at least make them into some sort of optional forme (with balanced stats, of course.)

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
No, because it would neutralise the strategic choice you have to make around triggering mega evolution and the trade offs of other held items

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Permanent mega evolutions would be game breaking unless they were severely nerfed, which goes against the entire concept.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. I would personally enjoy it but Megas becoming standard with access to items would be absurdly broken. I like them as they are, except I would do away with finding all of the stones. Just make one general Mega Stone and give it to the one Pokémon you want to mega evolve during battle. That won't happen though

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Fans have always wanted the three stage rule for an evolutionary line to be done away with

Have they ?

Honestly this is the first time i ever heard somebody say they want more than 3 stages of evolution.

All i remember from the reveal of Megas is people complaining that 3 stage pokemon got Megas when there were plenty of 2 stage or single stage ones that would have benefited from an extra evo like boost.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not at all, Mega Evolutions are pretty horrific for the Pokemon per some of the Pokedex entries.

Akai_XIII

Oct 26, 2017
Some of them should be: the ones that don't have a tier 3 evolution, everything that does - no.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, they should be scrapped entirely.

It was a stupid gimmick. Pokemon never made sense "evolution" wise but adding in 4th forms for some pokemon is digimon tier.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No I would rather they get rid of them. Total shark-jumping moment for Pokemon.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
The whole thing already feels enough 'Digimon', let's not.

Tho in my opinion everyone should get a mega form. I hope it's not another one time feature thing.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nah I'm good. Having 4 stage evolutions sounds a little too much

I'm down with them introducing new regular forms to single/two-stage evolution lines tho. Both new 3rd forms or baby forms are cool.

One day that Miltank/Tauros pre-evolution will be real! One day!!

SartrG

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My problem with Megas is that they were mostly given to Pokemon who range from "good" to "great" Pokemon. I mean, Mega Lucario, Mega Blaziken, Mega Salamence and the like had no business becoming even stronger, so I'd be OK with them deleting them.
Other evolutions like Mega Abomasnow, Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Medicham I'd be OK with them becoming permanent.

But I'm sure they're too relevant in the competitive scene to be removed or added as normal evolutions, since they're "balanced" by being limited to one per team and not being able to hold an item.

MicH

Oct 25, 2017
That would allow megas to equip Z-crystals as well which would be ridiculously broken.

Just look at Mega Rayquaza who doesn't need to equip a mega stone. He's stupid strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.