• Yes

Votes: 293 81.2%
  • No

Votes: 68 18.8%

• Total voters

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I believe by this point they had already given up on Rodimus and were committed to bringing Optimus back. The backlash over the movie was real. Kids were devastated.

pretty sure most of S3 (aside from RoOP) was already written before any reactions to the movie. The Burden Hardest to Bear (one of the best G1 eps, imo) seems to have pretty clearly been Rodimus' intended closure point. Then they threw together TRoOP and went "just kidding. Also, the end of 'Dark Awakening' never happened."

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's definitely better.

I also think there was a way to have Optimus die and Rodimus take over that could have worked...maybe in a sequel. Movie #1 should have been all Optimus for sure.

But we all know what happened. They needed to sell new toys and botched it.

Well not really because it was a great movie

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Which one is this? I have the IDW version and the only "major" difference is they have some panels showing Superion and Omega Supreme in a final stand at the Autobots volcano base while fighting Menasor and Bruticus at the same time that the fight at Autobot city is going on
This was the original Marvel comic. Issues #60 to #75

Dultimate

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Yes, he should.
I know why they did it but it fucking sucked and I don't know who would have thought it was a good idea. Especially after Optimus went fucking Boss on the Decepticons like he did. Only to get taken out because of a little punk. Aargh

I'm not even against the idea of Prime dying in hindsight. Just, not like that. Fuck Rodimus!

MechDX

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Yes he was.
I know why they did it but it fucking sucked and I don't know who would have thought it was a good idea. Especially after Optimus went fucking Boss on the Decepticons like he did. Only to get taken out because of a little punk. Aargh

I'm not even against the idea of Prime dying in hindsight. Just, not like that. Fuck Rodimus!
As mentioned before Hasbro had most G1 characters killed off in the movie because they were going to stop selling those toys. They had no idea kids had latched on to the characters themselves and the story.

Check out Netflix "The Toys that made Us" Transformers episode and Chris McFeelys "Transformers: The Basics" series on YouTube if you want to see more

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
No way is it Hot Rod's fault.
Sure, he may have screwed up, but the fact that the Deceptions were out and about and not like buried in a hole in the ground from the countless times the Autobots could've just destroyed them puts the blame on good old Optimus.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I meant they botched Rodimus specifically. I was 10 when that movie came out and I remember it was the talk of the school. Kids hated him.

But while the Hot Rod arc may not have landed for some people, maybe the movie would have been worse without that contentious event. Hot Rod fucked up. He got the greatest robot in autobot history killed. That's some weighty shit. Without that the movie really loses something imo - even if it was for the purpose of selling toys.

Olorin

Oct 27, 2017
Movie should have ended 2 minutes after Prime landed. One-shotted every Decepticon up to that point and should have just laser-rifled Megatron.

The writers completely missed the mark here. Even if trying to introduce a new toy line, nobody liked Rodimus. Even the toy was lame; a camaro with a U-haul?

This whole mess did give us the best return arc though!

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Movie should have ended 2 minutes after Prime landed. One-shotted every Decepticon up to that point and should have just laser-rifled Megatron.

The writers completely missed the mark here. Even if trying to introduce a new toy line, nobody liked Rodimus. Even the toy was lame; a camaro with a U-haul?

Optimus came back and basically saved the day.

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Quint.jpg

"Guilty!"

Fucking Hot Rod....piece of shit.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Quint.jpg

"Guilty!"

Fucking Hot Rod....piece of shit.
What I didn't quite understand about that scene when I was younger was that they say "Innocent" and force them to be eaten.

Was the point that it didn't matter if they were innocent or guilty or did innocent mean guilty in Quintessons language?

MechDX

Oct 25, 2017
What I didn't quite understand about that scene when I was younger was that they say "Innocent" and force them to be eaten.

Was the point that it didn't matter if they were innocent or guilty or did innocent mean guilty in Quintessons language?
Innocent of removing them from controlling Cybertron aka the Transformers species. They just didnt give a damn and killed you anyway. How I saw it anyway

Mirk

Oct 25, 2017
Hotrod's fault for sure but Optimus could have dealt with Megatron countless times. Man I used to be such a transformers geek as a kid. The newer movies really soured my love for them.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
But while the Hot Rod arc may not have landed for some people, maybe the movie would have been worse without that contentious event. Hot Rod fucked up. He got the greatest robot in autobot history killed. That's some weighty shit. Without that the movie really loses something imo - even if it was for the purpose of selling toys.

As an adult I see what you are saying, but the movie was made for 10 year old boys, and as a whole, they weren't having it.

I do wonder how much of this is the bad design. Hot Rod was ok, but the Rodimus Prime toy design was awful. The whole weird business about the Autobot leader having to be a tractor trailer was just dumb, and it boxed them into that stupid hybrid design.

Again anecdotal, but I remember it so clearly. Nobody I knew liked the character or the toy.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As an adult I see what you are saying, but the movie was made for 10 year old boys, and as a whole, they weren't having it.

I do wonder how much of this is the bad design. Hot Rod was ok, but the Rodimus Prime toy design was awful. The whole weird business about the Autobot leader having to be a tractor trailer was just dumb, and it boxed them into that stupid hybrid design.

Again anecdotal, but I remember it so clearly. Nobody I knew liked the character or the toy.
The finished movie is apparently a miss mesh of previous ideas and drafts rolled into one.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
Definitely, stupid Hot Rod getting in the way. Optimus was cleaning house until then and Hot Rod thought he of all Autobots should run in and help someone that needed no help. He's the greatest Decepticon ever.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
It was Hot Rods fault, but the story needed this.

Transformers taught me and a lot of elementary school kids the time about death and how to learn from your mistakes. You get to see all of your favorite robot friends brutally murdered in the first 30 minutes of the movie only to be replaced by new friends with new transformations and interesting personalities!

Wate

May 22, 2019
Well, it involves the Transformers creator Primus bringing them to Cybertron for Unicron's coming.... and it ends with Optimus Prime forcing the Matrix down Unicron's throat.
I remember the death of Ultra Magnus was much cooler in the comics too, in the movie he's shot by some little flying ship thingies and Galvatron, but in the comic he's literally pulled limb from limb by tractor beams:
FinalBattle-drawnandquartered.jpg

I didn't see the movie until years after reading the comic, and was so disappointed.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I remember the death of Ultra Magnus was much cooler in the comics too, in the movie he's shot by some little flying ship thingies and Galvatron, but in the comic he's literally pulled limb from limb by tractor beams:
FinalBattle-drawnandquartered.jpg

I didn't see the movie until years after reading the comic, and was so disappointed.
That's how the death was in the original script, but it was edited for being too violent.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
Kup : Stay away, lad! That's Prime's fight.

Fuck Hot Rod. My 6 year-old self will never forgive him.

Last edited:

97_Mentality

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea it's Hot Rod's fault.

Then he gets the Matrix of Leadership... and then in S3 proceeds to be an absent leader the entire time as Ultra Magnus is shown to constantly be out in front leading the autobots. Matrix chose poorly
taken from wiki
In Ultra Magnus' mind, he is a commander of the wreckers, and his reluctance to change that will see to it that he expends all options before accepting the idea that he is required to lead. As a leader, Magnus would be resolute, fair and courageous, ever-ready to sacrifice himself for the greater good of his companions and mission, and unyielding in preparation for protection of those under his command. Although not interested in overall command, Ultra Magnus was the City Commander for Autobot City in The Transformers: The Movie, and his toy also featured him in the role of City Commander (a title also held by his original opposite number, the Decepticon leader Galvatron), which indicates that he at least is willing to accept a leadership role in a smaller capacity rather than as supreme commander, a role filled by both Optimus Prime and later Rodimus Prime.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It clear that's what the writers wanted, but I don't think he should be blamed. Optimus is a dolt sitting there hero monologing against a threat instead of killing him. The gun is also visibly in Megatron's hands before Hot Rod even starts talking. Prime's slow ass should have been able to shoot him then.

Exactly.

Besides the monologue. A few seconds pass where Megatron has the gun in his hand and Hot Rod isn't in the way.

Prime died because he hesitated. It's entirely his own fault.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
YES, it's his fault!

And Rodimus sucked

edit:

I saw this at the movies when I was a kid, and actually found my old cassette tape movie soundtrack while moving recently.

This soundtrack and old Star Wars trilogy VHS tapes before Lucas changes. So I have proof that Han shot first lol. I need to get that shit digitized.

Last edited:

MechDX

Oct 25, 2017
Wish they would do a remake of this movie either in traditional animation style or live action like Bumblebee and make it PG13. Do what the writers originally wanted before Hasbro changed it up based on toy sales

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
A big yes for me. I think Hot Rod written simply as warning/distracting Optimus from far away long enough for Megatron to treacherously potshot him is better for Hot Rod's character instead of stupidly inserting him between the fight and be used as a meatshield.

Last edited:

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Exactly.

Besides the monologue. A few seconds pass where Megatron has the gun in his hand and Hot Rod isn't in the way.

Prime died because he hesitated. It's entirely his own fault.

No, Hot Rod jumps on Megatron really quickly after Megatron grabs that gun. Prime could've dealt with it if Hot Rod didn't literally jump on his target. Argue the monologue all you like, but Prime as depicted in the cartoons wasn't a cold blooded killer, and he'd earned some time to rub his victory in by mocking the mouthy Megatron.