• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should Zutara have happened?

• Yes

Votes: 84 14.6%
  • No

Votes: 490 85.4%

• Total voters

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
So all of us Avatar fans know about the pairing of Zutara, Zuko and Katara:

latest

and it's like probably the most popular pairing in the show. Like many of the crew even admitted to being fans of it such as Dante Basco, the voice actor for Zuko. According to many of the crew and like trivia they actually were toying with the idea of making them a pair.

So should they have done it?

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
No. This ship was entirely propped up by the fact that some people didn't like Katara being with a "kid" and the only other option was her brother or another "kid".

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. The emotional arc was there.

But then the writers got hit in the back with a rock and changed things.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Yes.

The idea of Aang/a kid that still talks like he's in diapers being in a romantic relationship was about as interesting and compelling as watching paint dry.

PoeticProse22

Oct 25, 2017
good lord; of course not. Aside from being a thoroughly bizarre pairing, the show doesn't support it at all, so a Zutara ending would never have been possible beyond shippers' seemingly undying fantasies.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
No, like, he hunted her and her friends. Destroyed her village.

Honestly the show misses out on a chance between differentiating forgiveness for accepting a redemption. Cuz I couldn't forgive him in Katara's shoes.

Shipping sucks.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
There's this really cool concept in media where like, a boy character and a girl character can JUST be friends.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
No. Same for Reylo. I totally get the appeal of this type of pairing, but let's just leave it to the fanfic community.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
It was more compelling than Katara and Aang, and I think would have made Katara herself a better character, but as it is, she and Aang being lame-o's together is whatever.

I didn't particularly get the chemistry between Zuko and Mai, but maybe because it seemed underdeveloped compared to the arc and interactions between him and Katara.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Zuko should have had some crush on a girl who turned into the sun or a star

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
No.

And I'll go further, Korra and Asami should have never happened. It was completely out of place. But I guess when they blew up every other relationship she tried to have, might as well just ship her with whoever is left sitting next to her.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck no. Forgiveness and redemption shouldn't have to lead to romance. There are more dimensions to a relationship between a boy and a girl than just "towards or away from romance."

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
I don't know. Aang and Katara always felt weird to me, because Katara seems like a teen, while Aang always came off as a child. She seemed more like an older sister figure to him. Katara and Zulo felt more equal. But I don't know if I'd want them together.

Back then, I definitely did, though.

For sure.

AvianAviator

â–² Legend â–²
Jun 23, 2021
No but I don't like Kataang either. Really would have been fine with no relationships in the show, even when I was a kid watching it live on TV.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so. Zuko had a lot of baggage early on and was a pretty big shit heel. Forgiveness is one thing, but it'd be way too much to go the extra step of turning that into a romance. All the heavy lifting would've had to have been done in that last season and I do not see that working out postiively.

Them being friends is for the best. That being said, more could've been done with his relationship with Mai.

And I'll go further, Korra and Asami should have never happened. It was completely out of place. But I guess when they blew up every other relationship she tried to have, might as well just ship her with whoever is left sitting next to her.
God no.

That ship was clear by Season 3 especially with its ending if anyone wasn't blind as hell that and had way better chemistry then they did with Mako.
Yeah it should have, Aang and Toph would have been more fun and they felt closer in attitude and age.
There is only a 2 year difference not much of a gap

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
no isn't a strong enough term. I get why Katara and Zuko's specific characterizations make for catnip for shippers, but there was 0 chance was it was going to be anyone but Aang since man came outta that iceberg.

you can't really make an episode like The Fortuneteller, double down next season with the Cave of Two Lovers, then attempt to walk it back just because Katara offered man the same water Vicki Vallencourt gave the waterboy

No.

Korrasami was written in the stars, that shit was locked in since Asami was Korra's physical guard when she projected into the spirit world. (Katara/Aang, Zaheer/P'li)

There were absolutely no overt hints until Korra Alone though, and only brief passes from then until the finale.

Sonnymuldoon

Jan 2, 2020
Characters getting together with people they've known since childhood is always a weird trope to me.

Closer in attitude???
Yeah but more in the dumb children kinda way 😂 I enjoy how Toph's Tophness clashes with Aang. If korra revealed that at some point they hooked up later in life I'd believe it.

I agree about kid characters getting in relationships for life tho, it's dull and makes no sense.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I was a Zutara shipper but I've let it go. Zuko/ Anyone but Mai would've been good. I won't lie, the comics put me on the Zuko/Suki train.

No.

They both sucked so I say they deserved each other. Mako got better away from them. They should've done him and Lin for the fun of it.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
no

him and mai is a funny pairing on paper but i honestly dont remember much about it