• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should Zutara have happened?

• Yes

Votes: 84 14.6%
  • No

Votes: 490 85.4%

• Total voters

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We're getting Katokka if the repurposed cave of two lovers is anything to go by.

They really meant it with the Game of Thrones comparisons.

Lizard Wizard

Oct 25, 2017
large_amqgIuISRBt8tsZM6cTT6gO9WLR.jpg
I mean it was bad I guess
lol that's what I was thinking.

I kind of liked that movie. It's Jumanji but in space. What kid doesn't like space?

OP
OP
PhoenixAKG

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Never doubt the power of Zutara. Also between the concerts throwing Zutara fans a bone and the live action show cutting Aang's crush and a very…uh…Zutara implied moment occurring in Omashu, it feels like it is alive again in people's consciousness.

Wait what? How did the concernt and the show imply it?

Switters

Oct 28, 2017
Katara always had too much "Christian Aunt who bothers you on Facebook about stupid shit" energy to pull a chad like Zuko. So, no.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wait what? How did the concernt and the show imply it?
It was just a joke thing during Secret Tunnel where they showed Zuko and Katara scenes, but they also showed like Cabbage Man and his cabbages, too. But the Zutara fans went absolutely wild over that joke bone. They got way more cheers than the Kataang kiss in the song prior to Secret Tunnel

As for the live action Zuko seductively stroking Katara's scarf when he is sneaking around the town hidden. Netflix made a tweet about it riling fans up

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
At first I thought Zutara was just a movie about the board game that opens a portal to space. Had no idea it was also the name of a completely unrelated cartoon.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
With the new Avatar Animated Movie coming out (featuring the cast as adults), i wonder if there are going to have a Zuko/Katara moment in it and pepole will still not let it go

ivantod

Oct 27, 2017
So I actually just finished watching the animated version of Avatar TV series on Netflix for the first time and have to say as for Zutara, the only answer can be no.

Like I literally don't recall anything in the show even hinting at or supporting that kind of direction. I honestly don't even understand where people are even getting it from. I think their relationship in the show ended up exactly where it should have.

I guess I'm going to have a look at the live action version now. Which part of the animated version does it cover? The whole first season/more/less?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
woof i almost said sommit rude but a mod admin general manager post happened and i backed out

no ban for me

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Like I literally don't recall anything in the show even hinting at or supporting that kind of direction. I honestly don't even understand where people are even getting it from. I think their relationship in the show ended up exactly where it should have.

I guess I'm going to have a look at the live action version now. Which part of the animated version does it cover? The whole first season/more/less?

Combination of the Enemies to Lovers trope people have a fixation on when it comes to shipping and that "I can save you from the Pirates" scene even though Zuko was in cahoots with the Pirates and as the one who sent them after her and her friends. lol

Live action covers the entirety of season 1 and plants some early seeds for Season 2's events. Though the weird thing there is Zuko and Katara have even less interaction in the first season there than they did in the animated version. Katara and Aang too for that matter. The writers were more interested in expanding her relationship with Sokka than anyone else. lol

ivantod

Oct 27, 2017
Combination of the Enemies to Lovers trope people have a fixation on when it comes to shipping and that "I can save you from the Pirates" scene even though Zuko was in cahoots with the Pirates and as the one who sent them after her and her friends. lol

Ok I see. I mean I like the "enemies to lovers" trope as much as anybody and it can be fun, but in Avatar it really really doesn't work. I mean Katara and Zuko have barely any in-person interaction until that one time where she starts to forgive him a bit and then he immediately betrays her. Then there's pretty much nothing again until the final few episodes of season 3. There's just no "there" there for me. But looking on youtube (in an incognito window mind you, don't want to fuck up my algorithm) there are apparently tons of hour+ long videos about why Zuko+Katara should have happened, so uh yeah I guess people see what they want to see even when it's just not there.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's nice to depict character relationships like Katara and Zuko who don't end up together, even if it would be fine if they had. It's an emotional maturity I don't usually see in kids shows (or most media frankly)

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy that with the resurgence of interest in A:TLA in recent years, the more commonly talked about dynamic between the two is S3-era Katara loathing Zuko with every fiber of her being. Feels like people give Katara more credit nowadays

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The best thing the live action Avatar ever did was completely erase this as even a remote possibility

So I actually just finished watching the animated version of Avatar TV series on Netflix for the first time and have to say as for Zutara, the only answer can be no.

Enemies to lovers is a dynamic that has historically been incredibly popular amongst all kinds of shipping bases. It's a combination of that and Katara being easy for viewers to self-insert as when indulging in that ship.