Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018

Worker statement:

The struggles against the abuses of the multinational company Amazon and for the distribution of its benefits are spreading throughout Europe. In spite of the company's strategy to open new centres in countries that are "quieter" from the point of view of trade unionism, the tough working conditions it enforces are driving more and more workers to rebel against them.

In Poland they are using a hard anti-strike law to impose miserable salaries. In Germany the struggle for a collective agreement guaranteeing the rights of all workers independently of their centre continues. In France the very demanding measures to control times and efficiency remain in place. In Spain the working conditions were unilaterally imposed by the company in its main logistic centre once the previous collective agreement expired. In Italy, where fixed-term contracts are the norm, there are thousands of casual workers in its logistic centres. In the rest of the world Amazon is making history, but hardly distributes its millions in profits.

Last March in MAD4 we started an intense struggle to gain back a collective agreement that enshrines our historical rights and sets better working conditions, as we deserve. On March 21st and 22nd we called for a strike that was supported by over 95% of the workers. Since then, we have continued with our actions in order to put pressure on the company.

However, we know that Amazon is using its logistic network in Europe to counter the effect of our respective strikes. We in Madrid believe that only if we struggle together will we gain recognition for our demands. Similarly, only with a joint action at a European level will workers organize in those places where there is no union representation yet.

It is for these reasons that we are promoting the idea of a European general strike in the second week of July. That is when Prime Day is, a day during which Amazon aims to sell millions of products in what is one of its most important days of sales. The idea is that if no concessions to the workers are made, that day will not take place.

In the following weeks we will get in touch with all the centres to discuss the idea and work together in the format of this historical mobilisation.

https://www.transnational-strike.in...-in-europe-in-july-a-european-general-strike/

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, didn't know about this. I bought some shoes over the weekend, including a pair last night. If it helps I'm returning a pair 'cause they were too small

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been cutting down on my purchases from Amazon to the point where I only buy stuff from them once a month. Not renewing next month.

I used to buy my PSN codes on Amazon, but they banned me for a week because they couldn't verify my zip code while trying to purchase one.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Does it make sense to strike & boycott at the same time? The pain a boycott inflicts is lack of revenue in the presence of paid workers. The pain of a strike is the inability to fulfill orders.

Combine both and all you've given is a free warehouse maintenance window. Makes sense to rack up orders during a strike, then cancel due to non-delivery because the workers aren't there.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I never use them. Bezos needs to make sure his workers are treated fairly.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
But isn't that counter productive? If you don't order, they won't feel the effect of striking at all. You should actually increase your sales order, to make them actually lose money.

Waggles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd be more inclined if they had boxed my funko toys better.

Plus, I still gotta re-up my 5 lbs bag of cheesy powder. My arms are tied, really.

Chekhonte

User banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Does that also mean not using most of the internet? I can easily cancel my preorder of octopath but I'd have a lot more trouble staying offline.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah I'll def be using Amazon this week, and all future weeks. It's how I get my groceries.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I am confused, are Amazon workers striking or is this a protest because people think they SHOULD be striking?

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I almost never buy anything from there anyway so...ok I guess? But good on them for striking Amazon is a dumpster fire and one of the worst companies out there.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped use Amazon ages ago, they really don't treat their employees well. I do get it though, it is convenient.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
I think i used it twice since Xmas '17

And it's because of Bezos making money hand over fist and his employees getting crumbs.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
That's an unusual way to advertise that amazon is having a sale today. I wouldn't even have known if not for this.

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
..but Prime Day is the 16th?
This is the information I came in here for. Cheers!

Working conditions are terrible it seems. I remember hearing a story about workers in the U.S. having to wait in long lines to leave the packaging centers after they had already clocked out so that they could be checked for merchandise. I figured it'd changed but I guess not.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
for like 95% of people their political/social activism is limited to complaining on social media, so expecting them to do anything that would even slightly inconvenience their lives is pretty much completely out of the question.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I just listened to a book on Audible, but because I want the company to provide all their workers with livable wages and conditions, I can stop for a while.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Oops, too late, I have a delivery on my porch right now

Also I went to a whole foods yesterday

Also my job entails me working with AWS on a daily if not hourly basis

I am fully captured by the Beez

Feb 1, 2018
Virtue signaling on social media for ~1.5 weeks (before you all move on to the next outrage) isn't necessarily going to make Amazon treat their workers better.

Their end goal is to basically automate all warehouse jobs, so learn to code and/or get some kind of STEM cert if you feel you're about to get disenfranchised by them.

Also, a good chunk of the internet runs on AWS, lol. So I guess just unplug your router. Stick it to the man.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I've really cut back on Amazon (UK) in recent months. When I buy books, I'll buy from Waterstones, Blackwell's or an Independent book shop.

May cost me more, but I'd rather support an independent/smaller businesses than Amazon.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
The only thing I really buy from Amazon now is Kindle books and comics. I've mostly bought my movies and games from Best Buy the last few years.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Oops, too late, I have a delivery on my porch right now

Also I went to a whole foods yesterday

Also my job entails me working with AWS on a daily if not hourly basis

I am fully captured by the Beez

I think we had a thread on this earlier, but if boycotting amazon means boycotting AWS, it basically means staying off the internet for the duration. I mean, isn't this site powered by AWS?