• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 11, 2017
India
Shuhei Yoshida

I'm pleased to formally announce the PlayStation Indies initiative. With PlayStation Indies, we hope to spotlight and support the best of the best indie games being published on PlayStation and the entire indie community as a whole. Our goal is to make PlayStation the best place to develop, find, and play great indie games.

Today, alongside news of the PlayStation Indies initiative, we're happy to debut nine imaginative and exciting titles coming to both PS4 and PS5. Stay tuned throughout the morning for these reveals, which we'll gather up here once they've all concluded. Can't wait to hear what you think!

While details are still forthcoming, we are also happy to confirm a new indie title will join the PlayStation Now service every month, starting with Hello Neighbor in July. Please look out for our monthly PS Now posts for more information!

blog.playstation.com

Introducing PlayStation Indies and a day of captivating new games

Nine titles debut alongside first details of our new PlayStation Indies initiative.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
This should be fun!
Hi everyone! As some of you may have noticed, I have long been a big fan of indie games, and ever since I was appointed as Head of Indies Initiative for PlayStation in November the last year, I have been working closely with all departments at Sony Interactive Entertainment to elevate our efforts to help make indie developers' lives easier and their titles shine in this super competitive videogame market.

I'm pleased to formally announce the PlayStation Indies initiative. With PlayStation Indies, we hope to spotlight and support the best of the best indie games being published on PlayStation and the entire indie community as a whole. Our goal is to make PlayStation the best place to develop, find, and play great indie games.

The indie community is increasingly important for the future of the video game industry, as AAA game development has grown so financially demanding that big companies are finding it harder to take risks to invest in new concepts that may or may not work. We trust indie developers with strong vision will continue to bring ideas that have never been tried before, creating whole new genres of games and advancing the art and meaning of video games. PlayStation has always embraced games with completely new concepts, like PaRappa the Rapper, Katamari Damacy, LittleBigPlanet, and Journey, and we look forward to seeing what surprising new ideas will come next!

I was so excited to see the strong reactions to the amazing indie titles featured in the PS5 Future of Gaming event a few weeks ago. Do they not look charming and interesting? I, for one, could not get the Bugsnax song out of my head for a few days since the show went live.

Today, alongside news of the PlayStation Indies initiative, we're happy to debut nine imaginative and exciting titles coming to both PS4 and PS5. Stay tuned throughout the morning for these reveals, which we'll gather up here once they've all concluded. Can't wait to hear what you think!
blog.playstation.com

Introducing PlayStation Indies and a day of captivating new games

Nine titles debut alongside first details of our new PlayStation Indies initiative.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
While details are still forthcoming, we are also happy to confirm a new indie title will join the PlayStation Now service every month, starting with Hello Neighbor in July. Please look out for our monthly PS Now posts for more information!
This part is interesting. I wonder if that means we get 4 games instead of 3 every month, where one of them is a new indie that launches in the service as well as for sale on PS4/PS5.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
good news and something like this was expected, but I fear they will backstab abandon indies push midgen like they did this gen

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

That's... something, but I'll be fine with CrossCode on Game Pass for that particular month. Hopefully they manage to get actual new releases (and good games) for PS Now.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Been excited about the prospect of Yoshida working with indies, so can't wait to see the results.
While details are still forthcoming, we are also happy to confirm a new indie title will join the PlayStation Now service every month, starting with Hello Neighbor in July.
But that's pretty lame. At the beginning of that sentence I was expecting them to announce a NEW indie game would be hitting Now every month, like we used to get on PS Plus or get multiple new indies on Game Pass every month. Instead it's an old mediocre indie game that was already even on Game Pass two years ago. I really wish they would take Now more seriously.

Aug 23, 2018
Was excited to see what Shuhei was going to do when his title was changed.

This part is interesting. I wonder if that means we get 4 games instead of 3 every month, where one of them is a new indie that launches in the service as well as for sale on PS4/PS5.

Wait, are you talking PS Plus or Now? PS Now only gets 3 new titles every month currently?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, some of my favorite games from this gen came from Sony's early PS4 indie push (Dont Starve, Transistor, Resogun) so I'm definitely excited to hear more about these

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
strangely familiar to Nintendo indies hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To kick this off without at least one game announcement seems like a weird decision. "Stay tuned throughout the morning"? You're announcing 9 games within the span of a few hours and you couldn't at least get the ball rolling now?

ItsBradazHD

Nov 21, 2018
Glad Sony seem to be doubling down on their indie's support, much like early this gen! Excited to see what they reveal today, and the "new indie title will join the PlayStation Now service every month" should add some more variety to the service (hopefully it is a bonus game in addition to the 3 on average we get announced at the start of the month)

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Yall remember Trash Panic. I was obsessed with that game. I could use a new one.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
To kick this off without at least one game announcement seems like a weird decision. "Stay tuned throughout the morning"? You're announcing 9 games within the span of a few hours and you couldn't at least get the ball rolling now?
Do you have some place to be? What's the rush? It's likely they'll announce the first game on the hour, so in 3 minutes from now.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Sounds great.

But I hope it's not just a repeat of early PS4 era when they supported indies just because there weren't many games yet on the system at launch. After a while, indies a forgotten.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Cool! Some of the best and most heartfelt and creative games of this gen are indie games. Always down to put a few new ones on my radar.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Love Yosp. I can hear his voice when reading that article.

Shuhei seems to have always been a positive impact on creative, experimental and flat out weird games, not to mention how he cultivated an identity for Sony First Party as head of WWS. I am sure so many good things will come out of this initiative with him at the head of it.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
New gen is here and they ❤️ Indies again. Then 2 years later they will forget them XD

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
I remember Indies where super important in the early days of the PS4. It helps between the game droughts. Looking forward to see what Indies we will get this time

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
WHERE ARE THEY?!

tenor.gif

edit:

oh