Status
Not open for further replies.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So Control turned out to be somewhat mediocre and have terrible performance. Do people still want Sony to buy them lol

I honestly can't see what it is in them that attracts some of you.

Mediocre? Huh, okay then.
I'm not understanding why someones opinion on the studio is going to change after a game reviewed pretty positively.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
For a highly marketed AAA single player game it is average. Even if it is slightly above average there are way too many better games for me to bother creating time for this. It's certainly no system seller.

You are being really spiteful for no apparent reason. The game wasn't a "highly marked AAA game", it was backed by a mid-sized publisher and was made on a smaller budget that most games of its kind. Despite that, it dazzled with its effects, its story, and had good gameplay.

And what system was it suppose to sell? lol.

A Sony and Remedy partnership would be a brand new IP, not Control btw.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
For a highly marketed AAA single player game it is average. Even if it is slightly above average there are way too many better games for me to bother creating time for this. It's certainly no system seller.

80%+ is good no matter the game. Aside from that, there's simply no chance in hell that 505 Games put a AAA budget behind it. Look at their output history. They aren't going to spend tens of millions of dollars a single game. They're one of the mid-tier publishing houses like Focus Home. Speaking of which, they're publishing an ARPG next month called Greedfall. Do you know what its budget was? 5.5 million.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
From Shannon's Instagram

shannonwoodward_69786m4jo3.jpg

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
So Control turned out to be somewhat mediocre and have terrible performance. Do people still want Sony to buy them lol

Lmao

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The game runs perfectly on my Pro. Even the reports of slowdown are not universal. I'm assuming, if Sony really wants to acquire Remedy, that they're looking at a range of factors. And I suspect that a digital foundry analysis showing momentary dips from 30fps to 28 isn't one of them.

Are we really at a point where an 81% rated game is "somewhat mediocre"?

It's a really gorgeous and fun game. Given the reviews I'm really not sure how anyone could call the game mediocre either.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
200+ million to buy Remedy? I mean really?

The only way this makes sense is to have stability for both sides. Sony said they will leverage their IPs cross-division so if their own studios' hands are tied why not work with another developer. It's win-win because the developer can work on IPs that are recognizable and you get world-class marketing and publishing from Sony.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The only way this makes sense is to have stability for both sides. Sony said they will leverage their IPs cross-division so if their own studios' hands are tied why not work with another developer. It's win-win because the developer can work on IPs that are recognizable and you get world-class marketing and publishing from Sony.

It's the cost of the studio plus the IP. They've got Alan Wake, but what else do they own?

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

Lol what? Who pulled that figure out of their ass?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

For a reference, Microsoft acquired Rare in 2002 for $375m and that was in a competitive situation bidding against the likes of Activision. Accounting for UK inflation that's $583m in today's money. But obviously Rare came with a boatload of IP and they were also riding high after near constant success after success during both SNES and N64 generations.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I fully expect it to break 4 million worldwide in the first week.

I'm thinking 7 to 8 first week. I feel like the anticipation for this sequel is higher then a lot of people realize. Very few video games feel like a big event when they release. The last of us impacted gaming so much that I truly believe we are getting closer and closer to the most hyped event ever.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I hope one day we live in a world where all reviews are like Eurogamer and no longer have scores. And Metacritic fades in to the distance.

Then maybe some people will appreciate the games for what they are rather than what Metascore they received.

It's infuriating to be told that I must like a game, or dislike a game, or that a game is objectively good, mediocre or bad, because of its Metawhatsit. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

And FWIW, I think Control is weirdly awesome and I can't wait to get back to it when I get home. Other people are entitled to think it's shit of course, but don't be surprised if your opinion is worth nothing to others because it's based on nothing but a number.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I'm thinking 7 to 8 first week. I feel like the anticipation for this sequel is higher then a lot of people realize. Very few video games feel like a big event when they release. The last of us impacted gaming so much that I truly believe we are getting closer and closer to the most hyped event ever.
Even the super hyped Spider-Man did "only" (compared to what you predict) 3.3m in 3 days and 9m in 2 months and 18 days
7-8m is unrealistic imo, even if the game reaches 95 Meta/Open

If stars are aligned, I could see 3.5m max in 3 days

Jan 4, 2018
I'm generally on board with Sony's very deliberate rollout of game footage, but now that we know they've shown off more of TLOU2, it makes waiting for it significantly tougher haha.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Today I bought a 2nd hand Platinum Wireless Headset for 70€ and hopefully it will deliver good sound.

Should also be compatible with PS5 or ?

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
God of War did 3,1M in 3 days,I think Part 2 will do at least 3,5M in 3 days,more than 4M in a week no doubt,if not beat that in 3 days.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Now I know why so many people in here joke about making a thread for something all the time. There are like 3 different Gears 5 threads right now about things that were all found in one blog post on their site. Like you really couldn't put all that in one thread for people to see it all easier?

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Now I know why so many people in here joke about making a thread for something all the time. There are like 3 different Gears 5 threads right now about things that were all found in one blog post on their site. Like you really couldn't put all that in one thread for people to see it all easier?

Even a launch time thread xD

Thread ignore function ftw.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So we're talking 4 million first 3 days?

Yeah, I can see it too. It will be an event for sure and the anticipation outside of enthusiast forums and the core, has been building for a while.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Ever? GTA V is hard to top. The hype for it was insane.

For this gen? It'd have to beat Red Dead Redemption 2, but I think that's possible once the marketing kicks in.

Status
Not open for further replies.