• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Not when you're basically buying people. They would not be looking out to buy Insomniac's IP, but the talent behind those games. If the general feeling in the studio is that they absolutely want to stay independent, than even if Ted Price is swayed buy the money given by Sony, key figures in the studio would leave and it'll end up as a shell of its former self making it completely worthless to Sony.

They have to be in agreement as a whole regarding going first party.

Sony has been a publisher for Insomniac for 20 years, practically acting as a faux first party studio.. They even have their own VR headset for Insomniac Vr's efforts.

Sony buying Insomniac would the most obvious thing and no one from inside Insomniac will care.

Insomniac is a ~ 300 man studio, and likely to grow for Spider-man 2. Ted is also 50+ in age. I am telling you he's gonna want to sell for the right deal.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, Sony probably wants that, Insomniac doesn't. Sure, there may be a price they are willing to get bought at - but maybe that's way above their worth.

So in short, stop this.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sony has been a publisher for Insomniac for 20 years, practically acting as a faux first party studio.. They even have their own VR headset for Insomniac Vr's efforts.

Sony buying Insomniac would the most obvious thing and no one from inside Insomniac will care.

Insomniac is a ~ 300 man studio, and likely to grow for Spider-man 2. Ted is also 50+ in age. I am telling you he's gonna want to sell for the right deal.

If that was the case we wouldn't be having this conversation and Insomniac would be a Sony owned studio for more than a decade now.

It's a good fit but one of the party isn't interested.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Sony bought Media Molecule after Little Big Planet 1. Sony bought Sucker Punch after Infamous 1 & 2. And don't give me this talk about not wanting to be bought, anything can be bought with the right offer.

Insomniac is developer capable of pumping out very high quality games in a short period of time. They released 4 games in 4 years between 2006-2009. They practically carried the PS3 on its back in its early years. They're the #1 premier independent studio, and would not be surprised they're getting offers from everyone daily.
do you realize that the difference in cost between media molecule and suckerpunch, to insomniac post spiderman launch, the fastest selling playstation exclusive ever, which is also one of the fastest selling exclusives of all time, are in orders of magnitude different?
and as i said, an insomniac acquisition is completely pointless when they are contracted for the next 6 years at least on marvel, they wont get away from sony's side.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Acquisitions are not so easy and Insomniac refused several offers because they wanna remain indipendent.
Try to use your brain instead of trolling in every single post.
My point is if Sony was serious about acquisitions, they would have done so already with the most obvious one. But in the recent history of almost a decade they haven't done so, rather, expand their flagship studios to be able to handle 2 games at the same time. Obviously, that failed with SSM and to an extent ND.

Also, don't be so rude here I am just having a discussion. You guys are so hostile when presented with counter arguments.

If that was the case we wouldn't be having this conversation and Insomniac would be a Sony owned studio for more than a decade now.

It's a good fit but one of the party isn't interested.

Imo Ted was holding out until the time is right to raise the value of his company, and that time has come with Spider-man.

Jul 15, 2019
Again with the acquisition talk. It's not happening folks. Sony is all talk no walk, just to satisfy their investors who were looking at what MS and Google are doing before Next-Gen rolls around.

Like I mentioned before, they haven't acquired a game development studio since 2011.
I don't understand why. They need better studios. The only relevant ones really are the big 5 really and Guerilla games is inconsistent as hell, and the last sucker punch game was ok, and GT Sport was not critically acclaimed.

like they need more and more variety. I don't think Microsoft will end up doing much with the studios they bought but Sony just shouldn't watch and stare as studios are snatched up. I mean they said next gen that they're doubling down on big AAA exclusives which is great, but I don't want those to be timed exclusive deals with 3rd party. They need more first party output.

either buy more studios or expand your current ones.

Last gen naughty dog released 4 games. This gen they have only released 1.5 so far.

suckerpunch? 1.5 as well

Sony simply needs to grow their first party more or buy more studios. They should get bluepoint for a remaster every other year, that'll add to the games. They should also get Kojima for yet another PlayStation franchise: death stranding.
And Insomniac should be their #1 priority even tho they want to stay independent. Spider-Man ps4 a game from a 3rd party studio, not even a Sony studio is gonna end up outselling the first party tlou1 and that's kinda embarrassing. They shouldn't look to 3rd party for that much help. They need more 1st party output. Especially when Microsoft is planning to release a first party game every 3 months for Gamepass.

Last edited:

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I don't understand why. They need better studios. The only relevant ones really are the big 5 really and Guerilla games is inconsistent as hell, and the last sucker punch game was ok, and GT Sport was not critically acclaimed.

like they need more and more variety. I don't think Microsoft will end up doing much with the studios they bought but Sony just shouldn't watch and stare as studios are snatched up. I mean they said next gen that they're doubling down on big AAA exclusives which is great, but I don't want those to be timed exclusive deals with 3rd party. They need more first party output.
Is this bait? If you have 5 big studios that produce quality work you are ahead of the curve. Playstation is not Nintendo where the first party software is almost solely responsible for the health of the platform. Sony is home of 3rd party first and foremost, they have great variety and devs already.

More is nice, not necessary.

@ rest of thread Also ignore feature fellas, I don't even know what post you guys are taking about cuz it's completely empty space for me, it's like those users don't even posts on my end, beautiful. Use it!

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017

either buy more studios or expand your current ones.

Last gen naughty dog released 4 games. This gen they have only released 1.5 so far.

suckerpunch? 1.5 as well

Sony simply needs to grow their first party more or buy more studios. They should get bluepoint for a remaster every other year, that'll add to the games. They should also get Kojima for yet another PlayStation franchise: death stranding.
And Insomniac should be their #1 priority even tho they want to stay independent. Spider-Man ps4 a game from a 3rd party studio, not even a Sony studio is gonna end up outselling the first party tlou1 and that's kinda embarrassing. They shouldn't look to 3rd party for that much help. They need more 1st party output. Especially when Microsoft is planning to release a first party game every 3 months for Gamepass.
I am not saying they should or should not acquire, I am saying based on their track record they haven't been caring to buy up studios.

And in regards to dev time, that's only going to get worse on PS5. That time to triangle Mark Cerny was talking about meant nothing because Sony's games are bigger than ever so the take more time than ever to complete.

And I agree with you they need to diversify their line-up. They were much better in that regards on the PS3 with games like Playstation All Stars, Warhawk, Twisted Metal and Puppeteer.

OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
maybe the Sony business division should get some tips from here when it comes to acquisitions. Seems like easier than i thought

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Was hoping they would get more rpg studio. Horizon is great but they need more rpg. Obsidian would have been great but too late.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
This thread will do 180 once ps5 is revealed and we see Horizon 2 looking better than any game on a 2000$ PC.
Was hoping they would get more rpg studio. Horizon is great but they need more rpg. Obsidian would have been great but too late.
Well, larian studio is still out there and they're arguably top 3 RPG developers right now (and they probably won't cost that much).

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'd be a boon for Sony to acquire insom but the relationship between them is already extremely close. The partnership as it stands is super profitable for Sony so why rock the boat? I'm sure insom has access to the same data. I'm confident that they haven't missed the news that PS4 has a higher games attach rate than PS2.

Again, it'd be an incredible move to acquire Insom but when we're already getting Niche 2 (and most likely 3) we should perhaps consider other studios with a similar pedigree.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey at the very least (unrelated to acquisitions), I am sure we could have planned a better E3 2018 than what they did.

God, what a disaster that was.

Only the awkward break to move the audience and stall with live music was bad

Everything else was perfect, just letting the games speak for themselves.

Jul 15, 2019
Is this bait? If you have 5 big studios that produce quality work you are ahead of the curve
Really, like who? As far as I'm concerned, naughty dog is the best Sony studio and has the most consistency. https://www.metacritic.com/company/naughty-dog

Suckerpunch is also consistent, but they don't make games on naughty dog's levelhttps://www.metacritic.com/company/sucker-punch

Santa Monica studio proved themselves to be amazing with God of War 2018 and overall have a solid track record and are almost on par with naughty dog https://www.metacritic.com/company/sce-santa-monica

now Guerilla Games.. horizon zero dawn is like the only great game they made besides killzone 2. They still seem inconsistent and have a ladder to climbhttps://www.metacritic.com/company/guerrilla

Now Polyphony digital are good, but they just make Gran turismo. Hopefully Gran Turismo 7 next year will be huge, their track record shows they're all over the placehttps://www.metacritic.com/company/polyphony-digital

So, what do we take from this? That Naughty Dog and Santa Monica are A grade studios. Suckerpunch? Let's see how Ghost of Tsushima is, i have high hopes for that game but with what they've shown already of that game, it's hard for me to believe they'll pull off a Horizon. Cus the animations and transitions need big work and so do the facial designs. But let's see where that game is next time we see gameplay. So suckerpunch, good studio, B grade.

Guerilla Games? Had many chances to make many great Killzone games, that didn't happen. Hopefully they find their niche with Horizon and stick with that. But apparently they're working on a multiplayer game for 2020. Hopefully the game is great and they've learned from past mistakes with killzone. Horizon 2 will need to be great for them to show they can be consistent.

Polyphony digital, good studio, made some great Gran turismo's, and some not so great. Hopefully they rebound with GT 7 next year and make a hit.

so, sony has two A grade studios- ND and SMS

Polyphony and Suckerpunch are B grade with chances to become A grade. Hopes for GoT!

Guerilla Games idk what i'd Rank them but they need to prove worthy still.

in all, Sony needs to expand their existing first party or they need to buy a new studio or two.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Only the awkward break to move the audience and stall with live music was bad

Everything else was perfect, just letting the games speak for themselves.

Kyle Bosman made the funniest face when they played that flute music for Ghosts of Tsushima. That basically summed up my reaction of the whole thing about the stage and stalling. Felt really pretentious.

waterdrinkinggamer Bruv, Guerilla Games is going to be the best Sony developer at the end of the PS5 cycle. Mark my words. Second will be SSM and Naughty Dog will fall to 3rd.

Jul 15, 2019
They need racing and fighters too.
They need a great multiplayer game outside of Gran turismo. Last of us factions had a great multiplayer but it seems they barely did anything with it. For tlou2 the multiplayer should be a big part of the game and Sony should get more support for it. To help kill the meme and to have a staple in the multiplayer industry.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
They need a great multiplayer game outside of Gran turismo. Last of us factions had a great multiplayer but it seems they barely did anything with it. For tlou2 the multiplayer should be a big part of the game and Sony should get more support for it. To help kill the meme and to have a staple in the multiplayer industry.
Just make a new Twisted Metal, kills 3 birds with 1 stone (racing, online, shooter)

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
They don't NEED any of this, for real people need to quit acting like Sony needs a relevant game from each genre. Their bread and butter have been quality AAA narrative driven games for a while now. Clearly they understand where their profit is coming from in terms of exclusives and that's why they're doubling down on it. An acclaimed MP game would be huge for them but at the same time their success is not predicated on it.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Larian is way too PC centric for that to happen. I don't really see any available RPG developer right now.
If you mean the backlash that will happen when they are bought then yes it's won't be pleasant for Sony. If you mean them having to turn to developing third\first perspective games instead of CRPG or having their fanbase on PC then that's a different story.

Building a fanbase on PS5 should be possible as long as it's a AAA title with huge marketing, and the studio showed they can nail the narrative and gameplay side of things so as long as they can transfer that to a different perspective (narrative and quests shouldn't be hard, gameplay might be a bit difficult to nail tho) they should do just fine.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are already moving away from doing CRPG for their next game (BG3) since they don't want talk about whether it's gonna be a CRPG or not last time I checked.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again with the acquisition talk. It's not happening folks. Sony is all talk no walk, just to satisfy their investors who were looking at what MS and Google are doing before Next-Gen rolls around.

Like I mentioned before, they haven't acquired a game development studio since 2011.

Stop bro. Money is not everything. In the business world, relationships is just as important. There's a process to things. This is a known story, Andrew House would drink with Kojima after work without talking about business for many years. When the time comes that Kojima would become a free agent, House approached Kojima and secured the exclusive deal in part because of the relationship and trust they have with each other. Smart business deals have to be win-win, not simply one-sided.

I don't know how someone can say Sony won't acquire any studios so definitively, especially when they've restructured their management team, taking their new positions just this April, and the CEO laid out the vision that Sony is a creative company and content is important to them.

Last edited:

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Polyphony is doing the right things. I mean Turn 10 is going to revamp Forza completely, like what they said they are going back to the drawing board because it's getting so stale. They tried to copy GT's penalty system but it's still not working out for them. The competition is not doing hot right now and trying to play catch-up. As far as sim racer goes, if Polyphony is B then nobody else is higher.

If you want to go by track record, Little Big Planet got several GOTY nods and sold millions of copies. Media Molecule is a small team but they are one of the most creative and out of the box studios out there. Amazing studio culture as noted by Kojima when he visited them. I mean if it's not a A team then I don't know what is.

If your latest game is in contention for GOTY , sold really well and beloved by the community then the studio should be A rank. Every studio needs to prove themselves including Naught Dog. You are only as good as your next game, but what Guerrilla did with HZD proves that they are an A team.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
These are games trying to tell a story, while mixing multiple genres, locations and characters. It needs a mininum on-screen time to build all that. If 20 hours is what it takes to do it, then I'm afraid Part II is going to be exactly too much for some of you. But I think that probably has few to do with pacing, and more with patience, and expectations.

RDR 2 or Days Gone are examples of questionable pacing, not because they last 50 hours, but how they funnel you through digressive content and not-so-eventful episodes. In contrast, I think all what happens in TLOU or A Thief's End, deliberate as it might be, serves a fitting narrative purpose. The recent Spider-Man is another fine example: many didn't enjoy playing as Miles or MJ, but these scenes were key to build the characters, and made Spidey's journey more interesting, in return.

There are many other games out there not doing any of this. It's one of the good things going on right now in the industry: you can choose whatever you want to play. I hope these more nuanced games keep being just the way they are.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017

They have not needed acquisitions as badly as Microsoft given that Sony's First Party capabilities have already proven to be robust and world class - but I definitely think we'll see a couple over the course of the next generation. The landscape going into the next generation is a lot different than it was going into the last generation. Microsoft acquiring a bunch of studios does not mean Sony is being cheap, lazy, or complacent in comparison. It means that Microsoft's first party capabilities were so far in the gutters that they had to acquire and build a shit load of studios just to be able to be able to even be in the same stratosphere as Sony's development arm.

I do think they could stand to diversify their portfolio a bit, and acquisitions would definitely be a good way to achieve that. Sony has proven that they always make the necessary moves to maintain competitiveness and/or dominance - and I don't see that changing anytime soon. If they acquire 1-2 studios and continue to bolster their existing ones, and maintain the strong 2nd party support that they've been known for since coming into the industry - then they'll be primed to have another stellar generation under their belts.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Because TLOU has poor pacing imo. At my current age I don't have time to play shit like that like I used to, and I think as everyone has aged they'll be thinking the same. Tighten that shit up.
Since Sony is surely aware that everybody is sick of Naughty Dogs shitty, poor paced TLOU and Uncharted games (not counting that AA game TLL), I think Sony and ND will agree to shut the studio down and buy Activision instead. /s

What is the matter with this thread right now?!

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Since Sony is surely aware that everybody is sick of Naughty Dogs shitty, poor paced TLOU and Uncharted games (not counting that AA game TLL), I think Sony and ND will agree to shut the studio down and buy Activision instead. /s

What is the matter with this thread right now?!

When did I say it was shitty? I'm just saying I'm an adult now with responsibilities and very few free weeks. So I don't have the luxury of a title wasting my time with bullshit like moving boxes or a whole set piece devoted to a puzzle. Literally get on with it. Tell the story and move on. Also LL was perfectly paced.

Status
Not open for further replies.