• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Lol, people think Sony will actually put out a jrpg?

Only if you count a demon Souls remake as a jrpg.

I could see them doubling down on wrpgs tho. Horizon two will probably be a full rpg a la assassin's Creed or the Witcher.

I could see Sony Japan and gendesign collaging again on a new ip

Oct 26, 2017
Who is going to be the next Jimbo victim?

- Shawn is out
- Gio Corsi is out
- Yoshida demoted to Indies and Guerrilla dude is now the strongest one

I'm obv joking

Yes, imagine someone funding AAA JRPGs in 2019

Only Square Enix

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Anyone knows who is President and CEO of SIE America ?

It was Jack Tretton, then Shawn Layden (before appointed as Chairman of WWS) but since then, we don't know
I think the point is that there is no CEO of SIE (region), there is just the CEO of SIE in general now. its part of the whole globalization process Jim Ryan is doing.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I could see them doubling down on wrpgs tho. Horizon two will probably be a full rpg a la assassin's Creed or the Witcher.
A JRPG is still possible. If they can support studios in japan to get games like The Tomorrow Children, they can support studios in japan for a 1st party JRPG.
But doubling down on WRPGs? Of course they will. Almost all of their studios are in the west. They have no JRPG/RPG team in japan. So this makes sense.

Oct 24, 2019
The IP was doomed the second they decided to make it a short linear corridor shooter instead of Victorian Horror Mass Effect.

Franchises pivot all the time. Devil May Cry and Zelda both could have been doomed after the 2nd one, but they put the work in to salvage the franchises. Resident Evil could have been doomed after 6, but look where we're at now.

You're being more pessimistic than reality calls for, I don't know why you have such beef with a relatively innocuous game/potential sequel

Oct 24, 2019
Uncharted 1 should not be compared to The Order

You could potentially make a good Order sequel but you could potentially make literally ANY idea into something good.

Yes that's exactly the point. You can take any idea and make something worthwhile, which is why everyone who says the IP is poisoned is being overly pessimistic.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Order was doomed when the team admitted that the story was the most important aspect to them but still ended up creating a terrible story.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
The IP was doomed the second they decided to make it a short linear corridor shooter instead of Victorian Horror Mass Effect.

There's quite the gap between a linear corridor shooter and a ME. Something like that would require a much higher budget, taking that risk with a studio like RAD wouldn't be the smartest idea, I think TO1886 kinda proved that. I mean even SSM couldn't get things right with their new IP, and that studio had plenty of experience with big budget titles.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
so, probably just a honest mistake, but... sony uploaded the last State of Play video again, the date for the last of us part 2 in the video is not updated so its the same exact video. Maybe it means the next episode is soon?
its obviously nothing, but lol.

Oct 26, 2017
RAD showed that they have a good ass engine and that's it.

Kinda like Ryse of Rome, outstanding visuals and cinematics but poor gameplay.

The Order 1886 and Ryse are secretely brothers, same universe of shitty gameplay and excellence in visuals.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Guerrilla Games

Senior Rendering Engineer
Guerrilla Games are looking for a Senior Rendering Engineer to join the Decima Engine internal Tech Team.
As a Senior Rendering Engineer, you will develop core rendering features, high performance real time graphics features, workflows, and state-of-the-art rendering techniques to deliver world class visuals that push the limits of modern gaming platforms.
You will get to work in a team that is used to push technology to its limits. You will work directly with the PlayStation engineers that know the hardware in- and out, as well as the major GPU teams and APIs for PC. The Decima engine that you'll be working on is used by a very small group of AAA developers.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I recall GG said Decima was configured to run on PCs, along with consoles, when they were handing it over to Kojima a couple years ago.

That MP project being developed at GG will likely have a PC port.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Very excited for the future. Herman Hulst has proven to be a great leader at GG with the dev of the Decima Engine and the shift from KZ to HZD and Shuhei Yoshida leading Indie Dev Relations is perfect because of his passion for those games and the growing concern of PS neglecting Indies.

Oct 24, 2019
But why use a tarnished punchline brand when you could make a fresh brand that people are actually excited and hopeful for

Why would you spend all the time and resources to make a new IP that is almost exactly the same as one you already spent the time and resources to make, while also having to make sure that it's different enough from said IP to justify the new one's existence?

There's a reason Capcom didn't just kill Resi after #6 and release a carbon copy "new" IP without the associated baggage. It's because it would be a stupid waste of time and money. Just take what you have and make it better.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you spend all the time and resources to make a new IP that is almost exactly the same as one you already spent the time and resources to make, while also having to make sure that it's different enough from said IP to justify the new one's existence?

There's a reason Capcom didn't just kill Resi after #6 and release a carbon copy "new" IP without the associated baggage. It's because it would be a stupid waste of time and money. Just take what you have and make it better.
Why would their new IP be similar to The Order?

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
I think it's best to assume that anything running on Decima has a chance of showing up on PC at some point.
How does literally everything get blown out of proportions in this thread. A MP title maybe, but Horizon? You're kidding me? Did you read the latest piece with Jim, he said exclusives are still paramount to playstations strategy.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Crossposting from the MC thread:
If I understand Falcoms financial report correctly, Sony has now overtaken Konami as their biggest major customer.
Last financial year 33.9% of Falcoms revenue directly came from Sony.

At this point Sony might as well buy them :p

Last edited:

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crossposting from the MC thread:
If I understand Falcoms financial report correctly, Sony has now overtaken Konami as their biggest major customer.
Last financial year 33.9% of Falcoms revenue directly came from Sony.

At this point Sony might as well buy them :p
Yeah... and after they they will buy Marvelous, Arc System Works and NIS.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's best to assume that anything running on Decima has a chance of showing up on PC at some point.
Anything running on PS4 or PS5 hardware has a chance of showing up on PC if SIE wants it there. Porting PS4/PS5 games to PC isn't difficult. The engines aren't causing any issues. It's all about SIE wanting a PC port or not.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Top 20 launch of 2019 in Spain :

1. [PS4] FIFA 20 : 220,000
  2. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts 3 : 59,000
  3. [PS4] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare : 49,650
  4. [NSW] Zelda : Link's Awakening : 47,500
  5. [PS4] Resident Evil 2 Remake : 33,000
  6. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 : 30,400
  7. [PS4] Days Gone : 26,600
  8. [PS4] Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled : 20,600
  9. [NSW] Fire Emblem Three Houses : 19,500
  10. [NSW] New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe : 18,800
  11. [PS4] MediEvil : 15,160
  12. [PS4] eFootball PES 2020 : 14,300
  13. [PS4] Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice : 14,000
  14. [NSW] Astral Chain : 13,000
  15. [XB1] FIFA 20 : 11,500
  16. [PS4] NBA 2K20 : 10,750
  17. [NSW] FIFA 20 : 9,100
  18. [PS4] Borderlands 3 : 8,100
  19. [NSW] Yoshi's Crafted World : 8,000
  20. [NSW] Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and [PS4] DMC V : 7 600
MediEvil only being out for less then 2 weeks and it already outsold games like Sekiro (launch numbers!) ;D
Sir Dan, baby! <3
edit.
Again, so everybody gets that. These here are launch week numbers.
Impressive for a little game like MediEvil :) It launched on a friday. Go Sir Dan!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.