• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
How did this thread gained 7 pages in just a few hours? What happened?

MLB The Show went fully multiplatform. Rumor of Horizon PC announcement. I don't believe the latter, but the dam will break if it happens.

Then we can look forward to even less and less games out of companies like Sony than ever before. Without a console, there's significantly less reason to bother with a diverse portfolio of games,

They will be even less creative. See EA and Ubisoft and Activision. If all you care about is profit less risks are taken.

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's your theory on why Nintendo is able to continue as is, while not caring about its competitors going multiplat.
They are in their own market right now with the Switch hybrid. But even Nintendo will be forced to adapt. You can witness it right now with Mario Kart, Pokémon, Dr. Mario, Super Mario, Fire Emblem and soon Zelda on mobile phones. The future is multiplatform and software.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They are in their own market right now with the Switch hybrid. But even Nintendo will be forced to adapt. You can witness it right now with Mario Kart, Pokémon, Dr. Mario, Super Mario, Fire Emblem and soon Zelda on mobile phones. The future is multiplatform and software.

None of the Nintendo mobile games are actually real installments in their respective franchises - they're insidious gacha cash grabs.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It essentially went like MLB telling Sony to go multiplatform or not develop and publish it anymore. They chose to agree on those terms.

Sony two years ago probably would have dropped the license.

Edit: Also I am getting my wish of having a new OT before the SoP thanks to MLB.
Nobody else is making good baseball games for MLB, I don't think MLB will deliberately kill the only game they make money from like that. What will MLB do if Sony didn't comply and just put Sony San Diego to make new IP instead

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Well it doesn't matter what he hopes. Things will be different in 2027. Sony is preparing to adapt. You can see it right now. Microsoft's and Sony's strategies are to go multiplatform. Selling software, not hardware. Exclusives are dying.
Are you high? Because this post seems like you're a little bit nuts.

Oct 25, 2017

Those abominations are not meant to replace or substitute for Switch games and they obviously don't.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Horizon on PC sounds nuts to me and it doesn't make any sense, but hey I guess if it does happen then anything is truly possible.

One thing is sure though, the net is gonna be wild if that announcement IS made.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Horizon on PC sounds nuts to me and it doesn't make any sense, but hey I guess if it does happen then anything is truly possible.

One thing is sure though, the net is gonna be wild if that announcement IS made.
Yup.

Not sure why Sony is doing this before the next-gen starts, but here we are.

At no point will anyone look at these moves and go "yea, imma buy a PS5 now".

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is an actual rumor of Horizon coming to PC? Lol sure if they want to throw their ecosystem out the door.

Let me get this straight. Some guy on twitter said HZD is coming to PC and we believe him because he said DS is coming to PC, despite that being announced back in 2016. I'm not sure we should be giving random twitter users that type of credence. Obviously this could be true but at least we should get dude verified via our own due diligence.

If not, anon pastebin drops will soon become gaming gospel. Call me a sceptic but where in an era/gen where 97% of gamers with a YT or other social media accounts have at one point or another claimed to have "insider" info that never pans out.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Horizon on PC might be total bullshit tbf. Getting KH Remind releasing in January right doesn't mean much since the game had a winter release window anyway.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Horizon on PC might be total bullshit tbf. Getting KH Remind releasing in January right doesn't mean much since the game had a winter release window anyway.

Yeah, the KH date means nothing since it would have to be either January or February (and it's actually both since the Xbox versions is releasing in February).

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Let me get this straight. Some guy on twitter said HZD is coming to PC and we believe him because he said DS is coming to PC, despite that being announced back in 2016. I'm not sure we should be giving random twitter users that type of credence. Obviously this could be true but at least we should get dude verified via our own due diligence.

If not, anon pastebin drops will soon become gaming gospel. Call me a sceptic but where in an era/gen where 97% of gamers with a YT or other social media accounts have at one point or another claimed to have "insider" info that never pans out.
The source fueling the current round of rumours were from 4chan, and were specific to TGAs.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Horizon is much more popular and the engine is already on PC.

Bloodborne is pretty damn popular too and is made on the same engine as the Souls games which is also on PC. Plus BB gets bonus points for not actually being made by WWS, but rather by a third party studio.

I dunno, I just don't get why HZD would be the obvious choice for a PC port.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Bloodborne is pretty damn popular too and is made on the same engine as the Souls games which is also on PC. Plus BB gets bonus points for not actually being made by WWS, but rather by a third party studio.

I dunno, I just don't get why HZD would be the obvious choice for a PC port.
Co-developed by SIE Japan Studio. 😏

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, the KH date means nothing since it would have to be either January or February (and it's actually both since the Xbox versions is releasing in February).

And as you pointed out in another post the game was never delayed in the first place like it says in the 4chan post, afaik Nomura/SE never said it would come out in 2019.

Just 2 more days anyway.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY

Not sure man this is the first I'm hearing about it.

We shall see. I dont know how good of a strategy that is but whatever. The market will decided when and if that happens. All I know is there will be less reason to own a ps console and they can kiss their ps+ and whatever else good bye. You can bet people will just buy on pc when their games hit the "$10 PS franchise humble bundle including GOW, Part2, and GT7". Lol. You drop shit on pc, you have to have different expectations. That goes both ways for the consumer and publisher.

Whatever the case I got myself an xb1x,ps4 and nice rig. Sony will just decide where I do my purchases depending on their strategy.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
So if Horizon is indeed announced for PC, do y'all think this is how Sony will treat its other heavy hitters? As in, release them years after the fact, or do you think they'll do day and date on PC? Also, if the Horizon rumor is true, and the reasoning is Decima, I feel like Until Dawn would make just as much sense.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are people acting hysterical? If Horizon happens to come to PC, who cares? The game is approaching 3 years old and at this point its sales have likely plateaued on PS4. What's the harm in bringing the game to a platform that isn't a direct competitor to consoles and will further boost the sales of the property? If this was day-and-date, I'd see reason for concern, but I don't think titles like HZD2 will arrive on PC until well after it's run its course on PS5 so PS5 sales won't experience a downturn.​
Regarding MLB, I don't see it as a system seller and it's likely more lucrative to put that property on as many non-competitor platforms as possible. I see the same thing happening with free-to-play games and multiplayer games produced by Sony in the future. Those big single player experiences are safe, but multiplayer games will see life on PC likely when they release.​

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
So if Horizon is indeed announced for PC, do y'all think this is how Sony will treat its other heavy hitters? As in, release them years after the fact, or do you think they'll do day and date on PC? Also, if the Horizon rumor is true, and the reasoning is Decima, I feel like Until Dawn would make just as much sense.

If Horizon releases on PC anything is possible regarding more releases.

I don't believe they'll do day one releases anytime soon though.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The source fueling the current round of rumours were from 4chan, and were specific to TGAs.
Not sure man this is the first I'm hearing about it.

We shall see. I dont know how good of a strategy that is but whatever. The market will decided when and if that happens. All I know is there will be less reason to own a ps console and they can kiss their ps+ and whatever else good bye. You can bet people will just buy on pc when their games hit the "$10 PS franchise humble bundle including GOW, Part2, and GT7". Lol. You drop shit on pc, you have to have different expectations. That goes both ways for the consumer and publisher.

Whatever the case I got myself an xb1x,ps4 and nice rig. Sony will just decide where I do my purchases depending on their strategy.

The entire thing reads like wisful thinking. The loss of a license (which happens all the time in this industry) and a random twitter user/4chan forum post shouldn't lead to this level of insanity.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Why are people acting hysterical? If Horizon happens to come to PC, who cares? The game is approaching 3 years old and at this point its sales have likely plateaued on PS4. What's the harm in bringing the game to a platform that isn't a direct competitor to consoles and will further boost the sales of the property? If this was day-and-date, I'd see reason for concern, but I don't think titles like HZD2 will arrive on PC until well after it's run its course on PS5 so PS5 sales won't experience a downturn.

This. PC ports 3-4 years after they've run their course on the console is perfectly acceptable for Sony in cases like this. Plus, its free marketing for Horizon II, which you can only find on PS5.

JetroPT

Jun 11, 2019
The entire thing reads like wisful thinking. The loss of a license (which happens all the time in this industry) and a random twitter user/4chan forum post shouldn't lead to this level of insanity.
They didn't lose the license. They point of going multiplatform was to not loose the license.

Anyway, this seems like a win win situation for everyone. More people get to play MLB, Sony is going to make much more money on sales and MLB still gets to have high quality games made for them.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People seemingly get blindsided by this will only have themselves to blame. Sony doesn't view PC as an adversarial platform and you can see hints of this throughout this gen.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They didn't lose the license. They point of going multiplatform was to not loose the license.

Anyway, this seems like a win win situation for everyone. More people get to play MLB, Sony is going to make much more money on sales and MLB still gets to have high quality games made for them.

They lost the license in it previous form and had to renegotiate. I'm not talking about who gets to play the ip, more so the reactions I'm seeing on era and social media.

Hopefully SOP restores some semblance of calm and confidence.

Oct 25, 2017
They lost the license in it previous form and had to renegotiate. I'm not talking about who gets to play the ip, more so the reactions I'm seeing on era and social media.

Hopefully SOP restores some semblance of calm and confidence.

Where are people coming up with this notion that they lost the license or were going to lose it? What exactly was MLB going to do with it?

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody else is making good baseball games for MLB, I don't think MLB will deliberately kill the only game they make money from like that. What will MLB do if Sony didn't comply and just put Sony San Diego to make new IP instead
It could be some incentive like a bigger % cut of the pie and/or cheaper licensing all around. Some Sony IP going to PC or other platforms isn't really a far-fetched idea now with Jim on helm, maybe that's his tactics, games like MLB and Dreams could really use that. Maybe they will release Horizon on PC (until dawn too given it's a decima engine too) because they're not really pushing PS4 hardware that much and just going for more software sales.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So let's entertain the idea that Horizon is actually releasing on PC and Sony is testing the waters, why the fuck would it be EGS exclusive and limit it's reach?

Status
Not open for further replies.