Status
Not open for further replies.

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You also said that you had no interest in watching the documentary, so what is it that you care about? Is it that you're interested in Groening's response but not actually what it's responding to?

At the very least least, is there not something patently absurd about walking into a conversation and going "okay, I didn't actually hear what you were talking about, but this guy is right"?

Actually I read the OP and this is not the first time "Apu is offensive" news has been on the site. You dont need to see a documentary for that but whatever man.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Isnt apu a karikature like almost every other character on the show? The dumb US working man , Fat policechief, scottish groundskeeper, nerdy comic book guy etc.

I dont see the issue with apu. its a karikature, not a serious personalization/portrait of an indian man.

jesus guys

The joke with Homer: He's an everyman idiot.
The joke with Wiggum: He's an idiot who's out of his depth in his job.
The joke with Comic Book Guy: He's an antisocial nerd.
The joke with Willy: He's angry and overreacts. Is buff.
The joke with Apu: He's an Indian man.

Do you get the problem yet?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that you have to bear in mind is that Indian people actually exist in North America. For some people this is less "a drop in the bucket" because it's not just something they're looking at abstractly as an example of American racism on a whole, it's something that is a part of their own lives.

Does that make sense? It's harder for some people not to care because they're actually the ones being affected.

Real Hero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am interested in the outrage surrounding Apu and why in gods name in America ( because this only concerns the US ) people would focus on some shit like this when there are wayyy bigger fish to fry. The US is all sorts of fucked up in every way, and especially concerning racial treatment of minors.

In my eyes this whole thing about Apu is offensive! comes off across like focussing on the totally wrong things in your society.

I have zero interest in watching a documentary because racial issues always grip me and have quite a big impact on how I feel about the world and people as a whole. I have no interest in going out and start looking for inequality, that would make me sad.

But from an outsider perspective, this seems like the wrong thing to focus on. The US has so many problems with racial treatment, PoC often get treated so unfairly. I feel that Apu is just a minor drop in a bucket if you catch mt drift.

Now I hope you finally understand me damn.
nice backtrack. you care about PoC so much you don't want to think about inequality because it makes you cry? Don't post in a thread about it then

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nice backtrack. you care about PoC so much you don't want to think about inequality because it makes you cry? Don't post in a thread about it then

You have 0 interest in a listening and hearing what I say, and the only interest you have here is twisting my words , I never said thinking about inequality makes me cry.

jesus man how old are you fucking 12? Yeah I typed all that shit on my phone to fool you! Cant you see I dont give a crap about equality!?

Come the fuck on. Im outta this thread. Only wanted to share my thoughts on it not start a fucking discussion with people like you who wont take what I say at face value.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
I am interested in the outrage surrounding Apu and why in gods name in America ( because this only concerns the US ) people would focus on some shit like this when there are wayyy bigger fish to fry. The US is all sorts of fucked up in every way, and especially concerning racial treatment of minors.

In my eyes this whole thing about Apu is offensive! comes off across like focussing on the totally wrong things in your society.

I have zero interest in watching a documentary because racial issues always grip me and have quite a big impact on how I feel about the world and people as a whole. I have no interest in going out and start looking for inequality, that would make me sad.

But from an outsider perspective, this seems like the wrong thing to focus on. The US has so many problems with racial treatment, PoC often get treated so unfairly. I feel that Apu is just a minor drop in a bucket if you catch mt drift.

Now I hope you finally understand me damn.

Can someone explain some peoples (mostly white) always tell marginalized groups what they should focus on?!

It just comes across like bullshit tbh.

UnNamed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sooy, I haven't seen the documentary cause it's not available in my country, but i want to ask what are the solutions proposed by the creators of this documentary to solve this issue. Change something in the character, and what? Cut Apu from Simpsons? Is this some of those type of documentary filled with lots of question but not real answer?

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There should be a stipulation for these Apu threads saying don't bother commenting unless you watched the doc.

There are way too much dumbass shit being posted here that is already addressed in the doc.

And then there are the usual suspects from those threads who regurgitate the stupid whatabout arguments again, who didn't bother to watch the doc back then, and are here cosigning Groening's fuckery now. If you think you're being sly, you are not.

This shit is infuriating.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You have 0 interest in a listening and hearing what I say, and the only interest you have here is twisting my words , I never said thinking about inequality makes me cry.

jesus man how old are you fucking 12? Yeah I typed all that shit on my phone to fool you! Cant you see I dont give a crap about equality!?

Come the fuck on. Im outta this thread. Only wanted to share my thoughts on it not start a fucking discussion with people like you who wont take what I say at face value.
But you have nothing to say. You're literally going out of your way to not actually know what the thread is about.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
There should be a stipulation for these Apu threads saying don't bother commenting unless you watched the doc.

There are way too much dumbass shit being posted here that is already addressed in the doc. It is infuriating.

And there are the usual suspects from those threads who regurgitate the stupid whatabout arguments again, who didn't bother to watch the doc back then, and are here cosigning Groening's fuckery.

This shit is infuriating.
Heck, just reading a summary about what it covered would be nice.

Nov 18, 2017
The joke with Homer: He's an everyman idiot.
The joke with Wiggum: He's an idiot who's out of his depth in his job.
The joke with Comic Book Guy: He's an antisocial nerd.
The joke with Apu: He's an Indian man.

Do you get the problem yet?

This is not the joke with Apu.
Apu is a largely "straight man" character running his business. The jokes early on tend to be around unscrupulous small business practices (selling out of date food) and desperately trying to get customers to his business. As they expand the character his storylines have to do with being an immigrant trying to fit into the community.

At no point is it "LOL an Indian", but Big Bang Theory frequently has jokes where that is the punchline. But it's ok because Marvel-reference and Indian actor?

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain some peoples (mostly white) always tell marginalized groups what they should focus on?!

It just comes across like bullshit tbh.

Im not telling anyone what they should focus on tho. All im communicating here is my personal standpoint. If you feel that is the wrong standpoint Id love to receive a pm explaining why. For my own blood pressure I think its best not to respond itt anymore lol.

KelticNight

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that you have to bear in mind is that Indian people actually exist in North America.

No they don't. It's why they had to outsource their roles to Americans.

rg7d86crjyovd77umbcc.jpg

Cranston

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Well, Willy has a Scottish accent, a nationality that is often mocked for incoherent rage. Cleetus has a southern drawl and pokes fun at hillybillies. There are absolutely loads of stereotypes in the Simpsons. That's the whole point of the show - it plays with them.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Sooy, I haven't seen the documentary cause it's not available in my country, but i want to ask what are the solutions proposed by the creators of this documentary to solve this issue. Change something in the character, and what? Cut Apu from Simpsons? Is this some of those type of documentary filled with lots of question but not real answer?

I think I'm missing some suggestions, but the conclusion seemed to be that it wasn't easy. There was an unused idea mentioned with the Jay episode where it would flash to Hank Azaria in the recording booth to acknowledge his voice actor situation, and they liked that, but noted that the actual episode was ruined by the Italian chef guy popping in at the end to ridicule the whole effort. They also discussed killing Apu, but Hari felt like it was probably not a good thing to kill of The Simpson's major Indian character.

At no point is it "LOL an Indian", but Big Bang Theory frequently has jokes where that is the punchline. But it's ok because Marvel-reference and Indian actor?

Did anyone actually defend Big Bang Theory in this thread, or are you just doing the thing where some people aren't allowed to criticize things unless you criticize these other things?

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
People love to pretend that something so obviously racist isn't.

Like how can you get defensive over someone calling Apu's voice racist? It's so obviously racist. Even as a kid I got that it was racist. All other jokes aside, you're supposed to laugh at the silly Indian with the silly voice "because that's how they talk", that's always been the joke.

Murkas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Makes you feel sad, meanwhile there were Indian kids getting beat up while being called Apu.

White fragility lvl 100

Another favourite is people bringing up Willie or Bumblebee man, why would the Indian people in the documentary bring them up?

Nov 18, 2017
Did anyone actually defend Big Bang Theory in this thread, or are you just doing the thing where some people aren't allowed to criticize things unless you criticize these other things?

Is there a furore and movement against BBT's representation?

Apu shouldn't be voiced by Azaria.
The show's response has been poor.

But it's bullshit to say the joke with Apu was his ethnicity. That was never the case.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't seen the documentary but plan to.

I can only give my sheltered, middle class white boy perspective and won't presume to speak for Indian people or POC more broadly as I am sure their perspectives are totally different.

I watched the show from the start and I love Apu. Beyond the stereotype, he is one of the most upstanding, honest, hard-working and ethical people in the show and also has some of the funniest moments and heartfelt moments in the show's history. It saddens me to think that while I was privileged and sheltered enough to be able to fall in love with the character, that many Indian people were made to feel uncomfortable by the more tangible surface level elements of Apu.

I genuinely believe that in the golden era of the show he evolved from shallow backdrop character into a love letter to first generation Americans who came to the country, grabbed the opportunity with both hands, became beacons of their community and showed up the "real Americans" in the community in terms of real hard work and moral values.

It just also happened that the show was created in a bit of a mini dark age in terms of understanding how racial stereotypes can do widespread harm and as a result some of the choices around Apu's more tangible elements have aged very badly. I just can't accept that he is the creation of racists though and I think it is revisionism to look back and say that. The product of unintended ignorance, yes but not blatant racists. The guy here who made that Klan remark is a tool. The Simpson's was basically as woke as mainstream entertainment got in the 90s. We've just happened to evolve our understandings more since.

Sad situation and there is no real easy way for it to be handled at this point. I can't really reconcile the recent poor efforts of the show to respond to this with the show I once loved, as modern Simpson's literally has no connection in my mind to the classic era. It's just a re-animated corpse being shaken until the pennies stop falling out.

Last edited:

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
They've addressed this so poorly that the issue has been magnified more than it had to be.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
But it's bullshit to say the joke with Apu was his ethnicity. That was never the case.

I'll also add in response to this:

the origin stories of Apu seem to shift the blame around, but it seems like he was originally just meant to be a nondescript clerk, and explicitly not Indian because that would be too cliche. He was made into an Indian explicitly because Hank Azaria decided to do a Peter Sellers imitation mock Indian accent and the staff found it funny.. So bear that in mind in saying that the joke for him was never his ethnicity; his ethnicity was chosen so that viewers can laugh at his voice.

Family

Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Isnt apu a karikature like almost every other character on the show? The dumb US working man , Fat policechief, scottish groundskeeper, nerdy comic book guy etc.

I dont see the issue with apu. its a karikature, not a serious personalization/portrait of an indian man.

jesus guys

This isn't that difficult.

White people making fun of themselves is obviously completely different to promoting a damaging stereotype of a marginalised minority.

Its why black people can make fun of themselves or say the N word but you can't.

For some reason a lot of white people are incapable of understanding this.

Burli

Nov 7, 2017
Yet another example of white people using the 'people get too offended' card around obvious issues of racism. I wonder if he even watched the documentary.

Burli

Nov 7, 2017
Haven't seen the documentary but plan to.

I can only give my sheltered, middle class white boy perspective and won't presume to speak for Indian people of POC more broadly as I am sure their perspectives are totally different.

I watched the show from the start and I love Apu. Beyond the stereotype, he is one of the most upstanding, honest, hard-working and ethical people in the show and also has some of the funniest moments and heartfelt moments in the show's history. It saddens me to think that while I was privileged and sheltered enough to be able to fall in love with the character, that many Indian people were made to feel uncomfortable by the more tangible surface level elements of Apu.

I genuinely believe that in the golden era if the show he was written as a love letter to first generation Americans who came to the country, grabbed the opportunity with both hands, became beacons of their community and showed up the "real Americans" in the community in terms of real hard work and moral values. It just also happened that the show was created in a bit of a mini dark age in terms of understanding how racial stereotypes can do widespread harm and as a result some of the choices around Apu's more tangible elements have aged very badly. I just can't accept that he is the creation of racists though and I think it is revisionism to look back and say that. The product of unintended ignorance, yes but not blatant racists. The guy here who made that Klan remark is a tool.

Sad situation and there is no real easy way for it to be handled at this point. I can't really reconcile the recent poor efforts of the show to respond with the show I loved as modern Simpson's literally had no connection in my mind to the classic era. It's just a re-animated corpse being shaken until the pennies stop falling out.

This is a great post. I feel the same way in that as a child Apu was an incredibly endearing character with far more moral fibre than most on the show but there are inherent issues with the portrayal of his character which we now know led to many young Asian American's struggling socially. In hindsight the Simpsons makers had the ability to acknowledge the very real issues on a human level, apologise and move on. He chose to accuse them of pretending. The fact that the show is still stumbling along as a shell of its former self is a pretty significant symbol of how much they're willing to do and ignore to keep that gravy train rolling.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
His show he can do what he wants, people can also decide to stop watching and they will but I don't think it will be enough to tank the show but I could be wrong.
It won't, so that's why his blatantly aggressive responses both here and in his show are ridiculous to me.

They've addressed this so poorly that the issue has been magnified more than it had to be.

Basically, this. He has now turned a small pebble in the stream into a fucking stone.

Nov 18, 2017
I'll also add in response to this:

the origin stories of Apu seem to shift the blame around, but it seems like he was originally just meant to be a nondescript clerk, and explicitly not Indian because that would be too cliche. He was made into an Indian explicitly because Hank Azaria decided to do a Peter Sellers imitation mock Indian accent and the staff found it funny.. So bear that in mind in saying that the joke for him was never his ethnicity; his ethnicity was chosen so that viewers can laugh at his voice.

Is that known for sure? Obviously Hank Azaria should not have voiced the character.

I never felt like the show presented Apu to laugh at his voice and I'm pretty sure those who used his catchphrases to bully minorities would have done so regardless of The Simpsons.

And I bring up BBT because there are imo far more nefarious targets for this sort of thing than a dated Simpsons characterisation from 20 years ago.

Burli

Nov 7, 2017
As a Scotsman, should I be offended by Grounds Keeper Willie?

This is not a cut and dry comparison to make. For instance one of the filmmaker's arguments was that there were VERY few representations of Indian characters in Western Media (and most of them were white people imitating Indians). At that time there was a far greater variety of representation of Scots in Western media to help abate a stereotypical national view of them somewhat. However, if you were offended by Grounds keeper Willie you would be completely with your rights to be.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
There was a conscious decision by the staff to reduce the micromanaging of sensitive topics and not use so many preemptive mod posts. Huge mistake imo. There's been lots of horrible opinions voiced lately. I'd hate to use the ignore funtion around here, but...

Ugh, is this true? Disappointing if so; I've appreciated how on top of things mods have been previously.

Guess the only solution is to report more and hope it doesn't come across as overzealous. The problem is that when less things are modded it's harder to tell what the line is, in my opinion.

Why are you on a forum if you only want to hear what you agree with? You have Facebook for that or even GAF still.

Yeah, because GAF totally has people I agree with and not entirely people I disagree with, bud.

There's a difference between differing opinions and some of this garbage besides. I'm fine with different takes on media; less interested in folks defending racism.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Is that known for sure? Obviously Hank Azaria should not have voiced the character.

I never felt like the show presented Apu to laugh at his voice and I'm pretty sure those who used his catchphrases to bully minorities would have done so regardless of The Simpsons.

And I bring up BBT because there are imo far more nefarious targets for this sort of thing than a dated Simpsons characterisation from 20 years ago.

The documentary goes into it. Watch it if you're curious.

As for the Big Bang Theory, I'm going to take off the gloves a bit here. I'm Indian. The Big Bang Theory wasn't around when I was a kid. Apu was. Apu was the playground go-to when mocking Indian kids. I don't care if you think The Big Bang Theory is worse; Apu was the one that was a part of my experience. I don't watch The Big Bang Theory and no one talks about Raj to me.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
This is not the joke with Apu.
Apu is a largely "straight man" character running his business. The jokes early on tend to be around unscrupulous small business practices (selling out of date food) and desperately trying to get customers to his business. As they expand the character his storylines have to do with being an immigrant trying to fit into the community.

Honestly, I fucking hate that Indian character too. Yet another situation where the joke is "get it? he's Indian".

So few Indians born in the West even have accents!

The documentary goes into it. Watch it if you're curious.

As for the Big Bang Theory, I'm going to take off the gloves a bit here. I'm Indian. The Big Bang Theory wasn't around when I was a kid. Apu was. Apu was the playground go-to when mocking Indian kids. I don't care if you think The Big Bang Theory is worse; Apu was the one that was a part of my experience. I don't watch The Big Bang Theory and no one talks about Raj to me.

Dude, I feel your pain. I went through the same shit.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
Im not telling anyone what they should focus on tho. All im communicating here is my personal standpoint. If you feel that is the wrong standpoint Id love to receive a pm explaining why. For my own blood pressure I think its best not to respond itt anymore lol.

How are the following words not telling us what we should focus on?

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a Scotsman, should I be offended by Grounds Keeper Willie?

If you want, but Willie is absolutely hilarious, stereotypes or not. British people in general tend to handle comedy and stereotypes far better than Americans. Nearly every topic on this forum stretching back to GAF around anything to do with comedy would be inundated with Americans saying something is problematic. I accept this is a heavily balanced American community, but even in the mainstream media coming out of the UK we don't see even a quarter of the American media's focus on South Park, The Simpsons and everything else digging up objections and no fun allowed.

That being said The Simpsons is a shell of its former self and should either wrap up and end or in this instance they should just have gave in here and either removed Apu from the remaining story arcs, or changed the voice actor. Doing the later would probably still have Americans say the stereotypes need to be stopped, but that begins to eat into what The Simpsons plays around with for humour. Bombastic stereotypes. So in my opinion it's best just to wrap up the show or in the short term write Apu out of the series for good.

Matt didn't help himself here and he's going to be fed to the wolves for it. Rightly or wrongly he just is.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Should? What a weird way to frame it.

Personally, if people are taking offense at Apu then there will probably be people who take offense to Grounds Keeper Willie. I'm just not one of those people.

This is not a cut and dry comparison to make. For instance one of the filmmaker's arguments was that there were VERY few representations of Indian characters in Western Media (and most of them were white people imitating Indians). At that time there was a far greater variety of representation of Scots in Western media to help abate a stereotypical national view of them somewhat. However, if you were offended by Grounds keeper Willie you would be completely with your rights to be.

Yeah, we Scots are more represented on screen than say perhaps Indians. Usually we are angry, drunk and tight with money - but everything is a stereotype or generalisation when it boils down to it and it's either used for comedic or dramatic effect depending on the show/film.

Dec 20, 2017
So the problem seems to be it's a bunch of white guys making sterotypical Indian jokes. So if they hired an Indian writer to write jokes for Apu, this suddenly becomes ok? I'm just trying to get a grip on some of your jumps in logic.

Who cares who's making the joke if its not being hateful. Comedians joke about sterotypes constantly.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I fucking hate that Indian character too. Yet another situation where the joke is "get it? he's Indian".

So few Indians born in the West even have accents!

Dude, I feel your pain. I went through the same shit.

I'm actually a first generation immigrant, as are some of my cousins, and we don't have Indian accidents either! It happens if you're young when you immigrate.

I probably don't have it as bad because I'm around Toronto and South Asians have become a big part of the population here, but I think it's a pretty common experience childhood experience throughout North America at the very least.

So the problem seems to be it's a bunch of white guys making sterotypical Indian jokes. So if they hired an Indian writer to write jokes for Apu, this suddenly becomes ok? I'm just trying to get a grip on some of your jumps in logic.

Who cares who's making the joke if its not being hateful. Comedians joke about sterotypes constantly.

Is the Indian guy they hire a genetically altered clone of the existing writers? Why are they writing the same jokes? Someone with a different cultural experience is going to bring that with them when they write.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Would Groening really lose that much money if he just quietly retired Apu? He really didnt seem that important of a character to have anyway.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The simple fact is that if anyone thinks others are pretending to care without any actual justifications as to why, it's a failure of their imagination and empathy. They think others don't care because they don't understand why anybody would. It's an act of projection that says more about the person using it than those it is used upon.

Of course, the failure of imagination and empathy is what got us into this mess in the first place, so it's not surprising to see it constantly displayed in repsonses. Why, if one had imagination, you wouldn't need racial stereotypes to wholly define characters.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you want, but Willie is absolutely hilarious, stereotypes or not. British people in general tend to handle comedy and stereotypes far better than Americans. Nearly every topic on this forum stretching back to GAF around anything to do with comedy would be inundated with Americans saying something is problematic. I accept this is a heavily balanced American community, but even in the mainstream media coming out of the UK we don't see even a quarter of the American media's focus on South Park, The Simpsons and everything else digging up objections and no fun allowed.

That being said The Simpsons is a shell of its former self and should either wrap up and end or in this instance they should just have gave in here and either removed Apu from the remaining story arcs, or changed the voice actor. Doing the later would probably still have Americans say the stereotypes need to be stopped, but that begins to eat into what The Simpsons plays around with for humour. Bombastic stereotypes. So in my opinion it's best just to wrap up the show or in the short term write Apu out of the series for good.

Matt didn't help himself here and he's going to be fed to the wolves for it. Rightly or wrongly he just is.

Oh I agree with what you are saying here and I do think it's a cultural difference between the UK and America for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.