• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
"Maria, this is what you wanted, right? This is my promise I made to you..."

h13148415

Nov 17, 2017
I'm shook OP, if she wasn't there, you could've been dead. I think about this sort of thing all the time. Like, I would never wait in my car in a parking lot like that waiting for something to open because of people like that white lady who wanted the cops called on you. I'm always thinking "am I doing a normal thing that could be seen as suspicious because I'm black?" It truly is awful.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You handled the situation better than I would've if I was in your shoes. Not particularly fair that it happened to you, but good on you for being so calm about it.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I know how it feels to have cops unwarrantedly called on you for just being a minority in America so I'm glad you're ok and Maria was there to help deescalate the situation.

My mom used to have the same worries like Maria about her son, myself being a teenage Mexican kid with a fade, who wore baggy clothes and listened to rap she was constantly in fear that something would happen to me from the prejudice white people in our neighborhood.

After my own experiences with being wrongfully called on, searched and detained, I will always look out for other POC whenever I get the chance to since I wish someone had been there to help me and I wish more people would do so.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What a disgusting world we live in. I'm glad nothing happened to you but I'm also mad that you have to put up with that shit.

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
What would have happened if Maria didn't talk to the cops first and they were still "ready to go"?

Fuck. Just what a stupid thing that blonde woman did.

I'm mad on your behalf.

Someone minding their own business, literally just EXISTING and they get the cops called on them. Fuck.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry you had to put up with that. Maria sounds like an incredible person though, and if everybody was like her, there would be less of this for people to have to put up with in the world.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
but were you hittin yourself???
he was is psionic battle with a psychic opponent. Possibly using a remote controlled Stand to take control of his hand. He even taunted him "stop hitting yourself, why are you hitting yourself, are you insane?"

and the police wouldn't be able to tell unless they were Stand users themselves!

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how the blonde woman can completely make up a story to the police and there be no consequences? Isn't there like a false reporting thing in the States?

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That mom's thoughts went to a dark place immediately that she thought you were gonna snatch her kid up etc. Jeez.

I know you said trust your instinct but I think instinct can definitely be clouded by a bunch of external bullshit.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
That title. The long text........everything went ok?

WHAT A TWIST

Good for you and "Maria", Stay safe

Nov 7, 2017
Sorry that happened to you OP. Racial profiling is just a fact of life in USA unfortunately.

But I have to ask, was there anywhere else you could have gone or got done instead of waiting an hour and a half in the parking lot?

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry that happened to you OP. Racial profiling is just a fact of life in USA unfortunately.

But I have to ask, was there anywhere else you could have gone or got done instead of waiting an hour and a half in the parking lot?
you don't HAVE to ask...he was literally doing what he was supposed to be doing, sitting peacefully in public, minding his own business. that he can't even do that, without potentially losing his life is what is fucked up.

maybe he could have waited in the library, but that has to actually open up at some point. I suppose he could have stayed in his cloister cell.

"that man...i've seen him...sitting there...doing nothing...for a while now. it's...pretty suspicious."
"is it?"
"......yes."

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Thanks for sharing.
Glad it didn't escalate.
Maria is a star!

Out of curiosity, what state/city was this?

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Fuck that blonde "lady."

Not only did you get the cops called on you, you're accused of being high and hitting yourself? The fuck?

Did the lady make that shit up so that the cops would get incensed with a feeling of urgency? She didnt even just "report a man in a car" she falsely reported someone as dangerous or unhinged.

Yep.

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
Yeah that shit was malicious, not an accident or "following her instinct". Even if she feared you, that she called the cops on you and described you as a dangerous profile means she wanted you to get hurt.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
It's fucked up the blonde lady told someone else to call the cops on behalf of her racism.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
The US really needs it to make it a hefty fine and jaio for false police reports. Basically calling a hit squad on you for being black.

OP
OP
DigitalOp

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Not only did you get the cops called on you, you're accused of being high and hitting yourself? The fuck?

Did the lady make that shit up so that the cops would get incensed with a feeling of urgency? She didnt even just "report a man in a car" she falsely reported someone as dangerous or unhinged.

and I had 20 years put on my age. Even the cop was like o_O??? They were really expecting a grown male so that threw them off

I mean, yeah, I could have went to Panera or Starbucks.... but the counter response you're going to get from most is why me just sitting in a parking lot is viewed as a threat?

Yeah that shit was malicious, not an accident or "following her instinct". Even if she feared you, that she called the cops on you and described you as a dangerous profile means she wanted you to get hurt.

I think thats what hurt Maria the most about it all. Like she went outside and saw me and saw that it just wasn't a situation at all. She was trying to understand why this lady had so much fear for me.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
The blond woman needs to be reported for making a clearly false report to the police. I'm guessing there is a law against it.

OP
OP
DigitalOp

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017

giphy.gif

The US really needs it to make it a hefty fine and jaio for false police reports. Basically calling a hit squad on you for being black.
The blond woman needs to be reported for making a clearly false report to the police. I'm guessing there is a law against it.

Make no mistake, Jussie is going to get trashed in the courts for his little fiasco..... But everyday situations like these? They don't really fly that far... Even I admit that it just might not be worth the drama/court time nor the process. I don't know this lady, I don't know who she's connected to.

The guy who essentially swatted John Crawford III did the same thing. He made a call, hyped the shit up like John had a live weapon in the Walmart causing hell. John had a toy gun off the shelf, still in the box..... walking around the store.

They didnt even charge the guy who lied about the call and that cost an innocent man his life.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
giphy.gif

Make no mistake, Jussie is going to get trashed in the courts for his little fiasco..... But everyday situations like these? They don't really fly that far... Even I admit that it just might not be worth the drama/court time nor the process. I don't know this lady, I don't know who she's connected to.

The guy who essentially swatted John Crawford III did the same thing. He made a call, hyped the shit up like John had a live weapon in the Walmart causing hell. John had a toy gun off the shelf, still in the box..... walking around the store.

They didnt even charge the guy who lied about the call and that cost an innocent man his life.

I think I can see that. You probably have experienced this sort of insidious racism on a regular basis and you have to choose your battles. There's something about privledged, racist white woman calling the cops casually, it just isn't right.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Such a fucked up story. Calling the cops describing someone as a "high forty year old man hitting himself" is just absurd. I just don't get it. It's gone beyond racism and entered the surreal.

I'm glad the situation didn't get out of hand. I've heard enough stories from the US to know how these things often go.

OP
OP
DigitalOp

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
But OP, do you look like you're in your 40s?

Yoooo!! this is so crazy because I dont! Like Im mid 20's, and I can fully admit that I have a "young adult/college" look going on. Like I dont even have that "fully developed man" (lmao) look yet. Doesnt help that im skinny too, Im too lazy to work out....

I always described myself as part of the vampire family, like Pharrell or Will Smith. lol. Ill def get older, I dontt have a baby face, but I dont age age if that makes sense lol smh

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Here's the thing. She had someone else do it so Maria looks stupid for it.

Yeah, she knows what she's doing. She's getting others to enforce racism with risk delegated. And to get Maria to go along with it she made it less obvious with the whole hitting himself thing.

Maria should expel the kid and blacklist the parent if there is such a thing. Child care is in high demand.

Oct 26, 2017
Yoooo!! this is so crazy because I dont! Like Im mid 20's, and I can fully admit that I have a "young adult/college" look going on. Like I dont even have that "fully developed man" (lmao) look yet. Doesnt help that im skinny too, Im too lazy to work out....

I always described myself as part of the vampire family, like Pharrell or Will Smith. lol. Ill def get older, I dontt have a baby face, but I dont age age if that makes sense lol smh
Lol. I have a vivid picture in my head. Found it funny how the cop actually wanted to bring that bullshit up. At least they had a good sense of humour.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn son, well glad this didnt escalate to anything more than a less than 1 minute talk.

...did Maria actually call you Digital?

based on the story, she booked it before the cops even came.

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
I think thats what hurt Maria the most about it all. Like she went outside and saw me and saw that it just wasn't a situation at all. She was trying to understand why this lady had so much fear for me.
It is understandable that she would fear you. American society (I assume this happened in America?) conditions white people to strongly link minorities, and especially black people, to violence, crime, drug abuse, irresponsibility, etc. I am not saying that it is right for her to fear you, or to fear any human being based on what they look like (on the contrary, she's an asshole for that), but no one can escape being mentally conditioned by society.
What is really, really disturbing, though, is that she was not simply scared of you - she did not see you as a human being, plain and simple. She saw you as a danger that needs to be eliminated, and that is why she called the cops on you with malicious intent. She didn't simply walk by with cold sweats for the rest of the day, she actually took the initiative to get the police involved, knowing full well what happens when policemen and black people meet.

Sorry for ranting, but I'm annoyed about this. I'm not hateful toward her, but... Society has been doing a good job at dividing us and pitting us against each other. It's lamentable.