Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Thank you Mike Z.
steamcommunity.com

Steam :: Skullgirls 2nd Encore :: It's a sneaky feature! (A sneakture...)

Hello! I was on a podcast today talking about online tournaments, and one of the questions reminded me that there was a feature Skullgirls didn't have that'd be really helpful for said online tournaments. So now it's got it in the GGPO test branch! Skullgirls community: "Is it lobbies that don't...
With MK11 and DoA having this too, hopefully this becomes a standard feature in fighting games.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It'd probably be a good idea to add this feature to other competitive games, even those outside the fighting game genre, yes?

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Every fighting game needs this, and the ability to not match with wi-fi warriors. It's not quite as necessary as rollback, but it's close.

Skullgirls continues to be great on all fronts.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Terrible implementation. If you have any wireless network on your system if will flag you as using wireless. So if you're using an ethernet cable on your laptop but your wifi chip is still activated (even though you're not using it) it will flag you. If you have a usb wifi along with your ethernet (for example to interface with your wireless devices like your phone without plugging it) it will flag you. Until we get proper ways to discern if you're actually using wifi those sorts of identifiers are dubious at best.

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
Terrible implementation. If you have any wireless network on your system if will flag you as using wireless. So if you're using an ethernet cable on your laptop but your wifi chip is still activated (even though you're not using it) it will flag you. If you have a usb wifi along with your ethernet (for example to interface with your wireless devices like your phone without plugging it) it will flag you. Until we get proper ways to discern if you're actually using wifi those sorts of identifiers are dubious at best.
Blame Windows, not the implementation of the feature

In that scenario it is still, sadly, very possible for Windows to choose to use the wireless connection sometimes even though it's significantly worse, so that's the safest approach for the game to take.

OP
OP
Kaguya

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Terrible implementation. If you have any wireless network on your system if will flag you as using wireless. So if you're using an ethernet cable on your laptop but your wifi chip is still activated (even though you're not using it) it will flag you. If you have a usb wifi along with your ethernet (for example to interface with your wireless devices like your phone without plugging it it will flag you. Until we get proper ways to discern if you're actually using wifi those sorts of identifiers are dubious at best.
This is much easier on console since you can't have both wired/wireless active at the same time, but might be unavoidable on PC for now, still a small trade off for anyone who care.

Nov 14, 2017
That sounds pretty dumb. It's usually not a big deal to find out what interface the application is bound to.

Edit: It looks like it's because they are using Steam sockets? Normally you can bind to a particular interface and be sure what interface / IP you are using.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Every game should do this... even single player offline games so people get the point.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The privilege on display in this thread. Some people can't afford wired internet.
They should stop buying games then since that only cost about 12 bucks, except... you know gotta buy that hot new 60 buck game BUT CANT AFFORD a 12 dollar cable, same old shit.

If you care enough to play these games seriously, you'll make the effort, if you dont then this doesnt effect you.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I think an option to filter out people who play on wifi is a good idea, but I'm not sure how I feel about giving wifi players a badge. Feels like it's just asking to harass people who play on wifi.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The privilege on display in this thread. Some people can't afford wired internet.
I know what you are getting at, it is just amusing to me to think of an ethernet-only modem/router or switch being more expensive than a wireless router.

Back in the day wifi was a privilege.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I could get my crippled bed ridden ass out of bed to plug in a wire on the opposite end of the house when I need to for an hour or so I dont want to hear about fucking privilege

Implying that it's remotely only about that. Most of the time people play on Wifi instead of wired not just because they don't know it's better but because they can't do otherwise. Situations such as the router being several floors below (if you even own one to yourself), and the necessity to buy powerline adapters that are not necessarily affordable to anyone just wishing to play online.

It's display of privileges.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Implying that it's remotely only about that. Most of the time people play on Wifi instead of wired not just because they don't know it's better but because they can't do otherwise. Situations such as the router being several floors below (if you even own one to yourself), and the necessity to buy powerline adapters that are not necessarily affordable to anyone just wishing to play online.

If people are serious they will make the effort to make something work, if they are not this doesnt effect them.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If people are serious they will make the effort to make something work, if they are not this doesnt effect them.

It affects them to the extend that this will immediately ensures they get far less matches than usual, since they're being tagged as less desired players than others.

You can enjoy or not this feature, it doesn't matter. FGC enthusiasts probably will enjoy it since it's directed at them. It's still a display of privileges. Quite literally.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It affects them to the extend that this will immediately ensures they get far less matches than usual, since they're being tagged as less desired players than others.

You can enjoy or not this feature, it doesn't matter. FGC enthusiasts probably will enjoy it since it's directed at them. It's still a display of privileges.
That's because they are less desired players. I only got so many hours out of the day to play fighters now before Im in actual physical pain I dont want to waste that time in shitty jank online matches
I mean, I guess having a fighting stick is a privilege too. We should have indicators for that too.
This has never been true outside of very specific characters

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's because they are less desired players. I only got so many hours out of the day to play fighters now before Im in actual physical pain I dont want to waste that time in shitty jank online matches

The game should have made clear before purchase that a certain type of player wasn't desired then. Or should have restricted Wifi connections from playing online at all. Keyword being "before" the purchase.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
So what Skullgirls does is check for any connected wireless network on your computer, and if there is one it will report you as using wireless. That means if you're on a laptop and you have an ethernet cord plugged in and a wireless network connected, it will report you as wireless!

Uh

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
B
75585_full.jpg

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This implementation seems questionable since it can mislabel connections but the idea is good in theory, even as someone who only plays on wifi. I think my limit would be that games shouldn't filter based on wired/wireless because it's not practical for everyone.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The game should have made clear before purchase that a certain type of player wasn't desired then. Or should have restricted Wifi connections from playing online at all. Keyword being "before" the purchase.
Not necessary, like I said if someone is serious they will make the effort. No reason wifi peeps cant have fun over casual matches and that is what leads to people wanting to eventually take something seriously.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Wifi players poisoned our water supply, burned our crops and delivered a plague unto our houses

OP
OP
Kaguya

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018

What do call people on Wifi who think there shouldn't be a way for people on wired connection to avoid them?

Someone drill a hole in my wall so I can get ethernet through 😭
Keep a long ass cable around and run it through doors just when you need to play online in a p2p game! Takes just a bit longer to set up than your console need to start up... Or better yet, just play with other Wifi users. :D

Last edited:

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Mike Z has been updating this game in a bi-weekly base. Compare this to Capcom when they grasped the situation, updated the "fix", fixing the matchmaking a month later and tweeted about another fix for April but not coming out(For Obvious reason) and not tweet about what's going on.