El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if this Villager thing is something Nintendo already addressed in the day one patch and the pirates getting their hands on it two weeks early ended up getting them put on blast.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, two of the other hunters are spirits. I don't remember which two.
Okay, that IS really strange given that Sylux is basically the face of the hunters. I can definitely see Sylux possibly being DLC. Damn, the fact there might be three Metroid newcomers in a single Smash game once the DLC is done is something I never thought would happen.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Well, considering how Smash Bros DLC would boost the sales so I presume they want to boost Metroid Prime 4 sales by having some contents from MP4 in Smash Bros.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I haven't checked in on this thread in a while. Figured out the fastest way to unlock characters?
Someone figured out that characters unlock after ten minutes of gameplay. But, you can reset this timer by restarting the game, so theoretically, you can:

1. Start the game.
  2. SD in a versus match.
  3. Unlock a character.
  4. Restart the game.
  5. Repeat
And you can get every character in 90-120 minutes.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
In-case someone wants it, this is the full list of menu options (or at least what the game considers as proper modes). A few of these weren't shown in any Direct, but they aren't really major spoilers. There's one mode in Games & More that I don't know anything about though. It could be a sub-mode for something else, i'm not really sure.

It is pretty interesting to note that there are a few missing numbers in the mode listing here. There is one missing Smash mode (between Custom Smash (6) and Smashdown (8)) and two missing Games & More modes (between Mii Fighters (8) and Techniques (11)).

Hope for Home Run Contest.... ALIVE.

Oct 25, 2017
The most fun way to unlock characters is to play through the game normally.

The fastest way is to suicide in a match, unlock a character, close and restart the entire game, then repeat.

Someone figured out that characters unlock after ten minutes of gameplay. But, you can reset this timer by restarting the game, so theoretically, you can:

1. Start the game.
  2. SD in a versus match.
  3. Unlock a character.
  4. Restart the game.
  5. Repeat

Well that way doesn't sound very fun. How long playing normally? And are the characters random?

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

1. Start the game.
  2. SD in a versus match.
  3. Unlock a character.
  4. Restart the game.
  5. Repeat
I honestly believe the unlock requirements is tied to the Players play time, so if you're playing alone for 5 minutes, your play time is 5 minutes (duh), but if you have 4 players on, it gets up to 20 minutes. This would explain why there's a tip that if you have more people, easier it is to unlock more fighters.

EDIT: Actually, seeing that it's actually a 10 min cooldown to unlock a new fighter, it seems to make more sense that if you have more players the cooldown actually gets lower.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
The one video I saw of 8 Ice Climbers looked like it took an FPS hit. The streamer said it ran around 40FPS. Also I heard second-hand that someone did 8 Ice Climbers on Fountain of Dreams and the water reflections were turned off. Still super impressive though.

I definitely saw framerate dips, but that could've just been the stream. For the reflections, the environment is still cubemapped, but the character models are not rendered for cubemaps when there are that many of them.

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017

1. Start the game.
  2. SD in a versus match.
  3. Unlock a character.
  4. Restart the game.
  5. Repeat

do you know if it matters if theres 4 human players in the match like the Mewtwo unlock trick in Melee? Or does that not work?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Sylux was definitely consciously skipped over.

If not for DLC, i think it's definitely because Prime 4 might give him a big redesign.

The hunters designs all scream "DS-era" so it's kind of necessary

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
What is Sylux becomes DLC because of his role in MP4? He has a really good chance of getting in actually.
I can definitely see them doing that, especially considering how there's precedent for it (with Corrin being added to tie-in with Fire Emblem Fates).

As someone else said though, hopefully his appearance is different for Prime 4, and his potential Smash appearance is based on that. He looks pretty dull in Hunters.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Having more players speeds up the time (as the unlocks are every ten minutes of play-time), but with the fastest method that isn't even necessary.
Does each additional player halve the time? If you have enough controllers, you could potentially skip the step where you turn the game off and on again

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
do you know if it matters if theres 4 human players in the match like the Mewtwo unlock trick in Melee? Or does that not work?
the game says it does, but resets are likely faster regardless unless you are in perfect sync with acrual other people, so it's no surprise this was not thoroughly researched

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
LOL

Ds6g_mUU8AAu0hz.jpg

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Some of these Codecs aren't going to fit well lol.
I went through them a few days ago
So I went back and listened to the Brawl codecs

Mario - Fine, "once in a lifetime" stuff doesn't really matter
DK - Fine
Link - Clawshot, but I think someone said they cut this part out. It doesn't seem like it'd make much of a difference with it cut, the line still flows fine.
Samus - Fine
ZSS - Ehhh... should be fine
Kirby - Fine
Fox - Fine
Pikach - Fine
Marth - Fine (this one is really long!)
Game and Watch - Fine
Luigi - Fine
Diddy - There's a mention about eating his peanuts, which you can't do anymore. They can actually cut the entire thing about eating them, but Diddy's codec would be like 3 lines long. Which is fine I guess.
Zelda - Fine... surprisingly!
Sheik - Hmmm... I guess this works alright, although ehhh... there's nothing they can do to fix this one, so I guess it's fine
Pit - Fine, although Otacon's pronunciation of Palutena is funny, but that's no big deal
Meta Knight - Fine
Falco - Fine, and this one is still amazing 10 years later
Pokemon Trainer - Male pronouns is a problem, so I guess maybe Leaf just doesn't have it?
Ike - Fine, and I think this one actually works better for old Ike, which is interesting considering Brawl Ike was young
Snake - Fine
Peach - Fine
Yoshi - Fine
Ganondorf - Fine
Ice Climbers - Fine
Dedede - Fine (luckily no mention of Waddle Dees)
Wolf - Fine
Lucario - Fine (although Lucario's aura is blue now instead of purple... but that's a minor thing)
Ness - Fine
Sonic - They can just cut out the line about Brawl and the conversation works fine
Bowser - Fine (although he's not the heaviest BY FAR anymore because K Rool is right behind him)
Wario - Fine
Toon Link - Fine (although the stuff about all Links having green clothes is a little dated)
ROB - Fine
Olimar - Fine, if we ignore Alph
Captain Falcon - Fine (FALCON PUNCH)
Jigglypuff - "Especially here in Brawl" but really they can just cut Colonel's last line and it works fine
Lucas - Fine

Listening to these make me all nice and nostalgic and they are actually mostly fine, much to my surprise. At least the English ones. Pokemon Trainer and Sheik are the only two kind of awkward ones, everything else can be fixed just by making some minor edits to cut lines.