• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo never added the ability to queue up with a friend in Splatoon 2, a TEAM BASED SHOOTER! I have no hope that the majority of the baffling design choices in Smash online will ever be changed.

Me and a friend spent a few hours trying to team up in Splatoon one day and couldn't figure it out, we thought we were just being dumb. Sometimes we'd get into a game together, but most of those times we'd be on opposite teams with one of us getting dropped at some point. That was back in July, neither of us have tried again since.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You can watch an online lobby match while its already in play? I didnt play SFV that much but a lot of fighting games dont have that feature.
Yes. If a match is currently happening and you enter the lobby, you will be brought into spectate and it will fast forward through the match until it reaches real time. Many other fighting games have done this, as well.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. If a match is currently happening and you enter the lobby, you will be brought into spectate and it will fast forward through the match until it reaches real time. Many other fighting games have done this, as well.
And which games are those? Not that I think you're lying or anything but I wasn't able to do this DBFZ, SFIVAE, MK, Injustice or KI. You join a king of the hill or endless lobby and they wont show you anything until the next match.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
And which games are those? Not that I think you're lying or anything but I wasn't able to do this DBFZ, SFIVAE, MK, Injustice or KI. You join a king of the hill or endless lobby and they wont show you anything until the next match.
In SFV, the match fast forwards all the time in lobbies while spectating.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's actually difficult for me to recall the specific ones, since I'm saying this with previous knowledge of games I acknowledged did this at the time but not enough for me to call upon them. I think Persona 4 Arena and some other ASW games might have done this.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In SFV, the match fast forwards all the time in lobbies while spectating.
In my small time in playing SFV I only did 1v1 without the lobby. Didn't help that the game's online was pretty janky at the time so I just gave up on the game.
It's actually difficult for me to recall the specific ones, since I'm saying this with previous knowledge of games I acknowledged did this at the time but not enough for me to call upon them. I think Persona 4 Arena and some other ASW games might have done this.
That's good to know. Doesn't seem like a popular expected feature in fighting game if only those few have it. I understand wanting it but I dont think its odd to not expect it if you play many fighters.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Online seems to be getting better each night I play. I wonder if I'm getting profiled with other strong bandwidth users. Or maybe theres just more people online now so mI can get matched with closer people.

Oct 25, 2017
Online seems to be getting better each night I play. I wonder if I'm getting profiled with other strong bandwidth users. Or maybe theres just more people online now so mI can get matched with closer people.

Probably a combination of things. More players, players with bad connections not playing anymore, a better idea of what type of settings lead to easy matchmaking and thus more allotment to optimizing on connection quality, and possibly some changes to matchmaking under the hood.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can spectate in lol after a match has started and thats a free to play game. I expect more from a subscription based service.
LOL is different. A lot of fighting games dont have this feature due to technical reasons. As mentioned above only a handful of games have them and its dependent on the developer. So paying for online doesn't mean you'll get spectating mode in the middle of when a match has started in a fighting game.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Probably a combination of things. More players, players with bad connections not playing anymore, a better idea of what type of settings lead to easy matchmaking and thus more allotment to optimizing on connection quality, and possibly some changes to matchmaking under the hood.
I was getting good performance regardless of preferred rules on or off. 4 players or 2 players. Day 1 had some big 30 second lag freezes but for the last 2 days I haven't seen any of that. Well whatever is happening, I'm glad it's working for me now. Too bad I'm rusty and constantly get owned as I try new characters.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't get it, Splatoon is perfectly fine for me on Switch.

It's such a meme right now that I don't really think Nintendo will ever get rid of this.

OP
OP

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just want to say that the lobby system is a whole other can of worms to go along with the quick play options and is certainly not a viable alternative for a better experience.

Its placebo and luck.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Its placebo and luck.

Man, I don't know if you're just a dick, or just really damn negative and dismissive of anyone saying anything that isn't seethingly terrible about the online play. Multiple people are saying stuff has been better relative to basically never getting a 1:1 like it was on Friday or Saturday evening. It is pretty clear that something has changed, but it is probably selection bias in who is queueing rather than an MM change.

Has ANYONE said that their experience in Tuesday was as big of a shitshow as it was on Friday and Saturday?

Last edited:
OP
OP

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man, I don't know if you're just a dick, or just really damn negative and dismissive of anyone saying anything that isn't seethingly terrible about the online play. Multiple people are saying stuff has been better relative to basically never getting a 1:1 like it was on Friday or Saturday evening. It is pretty clear that something has changed, but it is probably selection bias in who is queueing rather than an MM change.

Has ANYONE said that their experience in Tuesday was as big of a shitshow as it was on Friday and Saturday?
Calling me a dick for rightly calling out what a shitshow this online system is a ridiculous. What in that post is worthy of name calling? Because the lobby system isn't a viable alternative to a ranked mode? Because nothing has been updated and people are thinking that Nintendo is magically fixing the matchmaking system when they aren't? Or that workarounds help deal with the problems when theyre not? Multiple people have also been saying it isn't better, whose right? Are they fixing the online or are people just getting lucky and attributing that to a fix that nintendo hasn't made? Whats more likely here? Nothing has changed, unless someone wants to pull up what specifically was patched or fixed, and since were all running on the 1.1 version I'm going to go ahead and say nothing has changed. Note also I haven't called you a dick for disagreeing with me.

Yes. It is. Nothing has changed. Sometimes people are going to get lucky and get the matches they want more frequently. It has nothing to do with anything that has changed here.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
I really hope Japanese players are gonna make some noise, I'm tired of matchmaking into non 1v1 games. And no Battle Arenas aren't good either because you'll end up spending most of the time as a spectator. This is frankly shit especially when you consider that FUCKING Arms had a way better online system with a ranked mode and multiple fights possible in a lobby.

Oct 25, 2017
Calling me a dick for rightly calling out what a shitshow this online system is a ridiculous. What in that post is worthy of name calling? Because the lobby system isn't a viable alternative to a ranked mode? Because nothing has been updated and people are thinking that Nintendo is magically fixing the matchmaking system when they aren't? Or that workarounds help deal with the problems when theyre not? Multiple people have also been saying it isn't better, whose right? Are they fixing the online or are people just getting lucky and attributing that to a fix that nintendo hasn't made? Whats more likely here? Nothing has changed, unless someone wants to pull up what specifically was patched or fixed, and since were all running on the 1.1 version I'm going to go ahead and say nothing has changed. Note also I haven't called you a dick for disagreeing with me.

Yes. It is. Nothing has changed. Sometimes people are going to get lucky and get the matches they want more frequently. It has nothing to do with anything that has changed here.

It's a shitshow, but average game quality can change even without any coding or matchmaking changes. It's a really damn long streak of luck for me to get this many good matches in a row comapred to the previous run of only bad matches in a row.

I called you a dick because you totally dismissed the notion that maybe a larger player base is making matchmaking easier. Like, wtf? Isn't a larger playerbase widely accepted as helpful towards matchmaking?

Dismissing that just makes you come off as super negative of any possible suggestion.

OP
OP

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a shitshow, but average game quality can change even without any coding or matchmaking changes. It's a really damn long streak of luck for me to get this many good matches in a row comapred to the previous run of only bad matches in a row.
So youre super lucky, whats your point? Nothing has changed. And Im not going to let people pretend it has so we let them off the hook with fixing this shit show. When a fix goes through and they address it we can talk about its updated state but getting RNG'd into matches you want while others are saying that isn't happening for them at nearly the same rate as you proves nothing.

I really hope Japanese players are gonna make some noise, I'm tired of matchmaking into non 1v1 games. And no Battle Arenas aren't good either because you'll end up spending most of the time as a spectator. This is frankly shit especially when you consider that FUCKING Arms had a way better online system with a ranked mode and multiple fights possible in a lobby.
Plus you can't gain GSP in arenas which means you cant unlock elite smash, nor can you change characters between matches without jumping out of line. If host quits the whole lobby goes down. Why is it when youre searching for public matches 2/3s of them are locked with a private password, why is that listed public at all? Its just a headache in a very different way than quickplay is.

Patazord

Dec 14, 2017

You could spectate lobby even in SF IV and you can also do it in DBFZ, if you see a big arena lobby you can spectate the current combat. I don't know about the other but it's not an uncommon feature.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You could spectate lobby even in SF IV and you can also do it in DBFZ, if you see a big arena lobby you can spectate the current combat. I don't know about the other but it's not an uncommon feature.
Yeah you can join in the lobby and spectate before a match starts but if you're not spectating or join when the match has started you cant. Even in DBFZ if you decide to switch character when 2 other people are fighting and you dont finish in time you wont get to spectate. You gotta wait till the fight is over.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
For what it's worth, I haven't been sorted into a 4 player match in 48 hours, and haven't seen lag in the same time frame. I actually kind of liked the occasional party mode match, it was a nice change of pace every now and again.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
There might be pockets of gsp ranges where there's a lot of ffa or 1v1. My Pichu fell all the way to 15k and it seems I only get 1v1 around there. My 200k Simon gets all ffa, and my 600k Mii Gunner gets mostly 1v1s.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
There might be pockets of gsp ranges where there's a lot of ffa or 1v1. My Pichu fell all the way to 15k and it seems I only get 1v1 around there. My 200k Simon gets all ffa, and my 600k Mii Gunner gets mostly 1v1s.
I think it's defaulted around 200k or so. I started there and I'm terrible at the game and quickly fell to around 20k. I got less FFA down in the dumpster for some reason, but I've climbed back up to ~200k, and I'm seeing them a lot more again. Hopefully I can git gud enough to climb and stop getting the FFAs as frequently.

Deleted member 19274

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was worried after seeing this thread, but my experience since getting it on Monday has been good. 1vs1's have been smooth and even ffa's work well. At least in my limited time, It's been a big improvement over Smash Wii U.

The preferred rules could worked into something good if they were to separate the different modes. 1v1 and ffa matches are so different from each other, you shouldn't be forced into them.

Oct 25, 2017
Surprise! (Not really)

Matchmaking changed less than a week after launch. That's what happens when a game gets pushed out before a beta is used to tweak matchmaking.