• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
They definitely did a much better job with the supply this time. Great stuff.

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has it outsold the Vita?

Joking.

This is great performance. I wonder if we will get a N64 Classic or will they go with an NES Class V2 and same with SNES.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's a really big improvement all round- the SNES Classic was handled a lot better than the NES Classic. I really like mine so glad to hear it.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Soon it will catch up Saturn and Dreamcast (both shipped around 9 million units) :-)

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
They've been available around me every now and then.

Got my cousin (who doesn't Game at all) to buy one cause of Nostagia when she was a child.

Neat little device.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Great numbers, I hope this makes more companies do high quality rereleases of their older catalogues.

However, not having built in virtual consoles for these never cease to confuse me. I'd buy one in a heartbeat, and I'm sure they would get even better figures if the console wasn't limited to a small, finite number of games. (And yes, I know you can load roms to it.)

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Good for Nintendo. I'll never buy one of these, tho. I'll never accept them as the VC replacement, not with their ridiculously limited libraries. Still so, so disappointed that's the direction Nintendo is going.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
$80* for a tiny SNES and many great games with (2) original controllers? It's better than VC in so many ways. :D
(Still want VC tho.)

Last edited:

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
This has to be one of the most profitable things for them. I'd love to know how much went into these devices in terms of R&D, budget, marketing and how much they made in return so far. ^^

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
$60 for a tiny SNES and many great games with (2) original controllers? It's better than VC in so many ways. :D
(Still want VC tho.)
Nah, it really isn't. Not if you want everything on a single device and/or portability, and not if you want more than the handful of games included with these things. I get people love them for nostalgic purposes, but it just feels like such a massive backward step to me, compared to what we had before.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Nah, it really isn't. Not if you want everything on a single device and/or portability, and not if you want more than the handful of games included with these things. I get people love them for nostalgic purposes, but it just feels like such a massive backward step to me, compared to what we had before.
It is but I didn't say it's a replacement. ;)

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Did they finally say when the NES Classic was going to be re-released? The original announcement said Spring, or May, 2018, didn't it?

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I want VC on the Switch badly but let's not pretend the previous iterations of the service weren't colossal disappointments.

Slow-as-molasses trickle of software, overpriced games, minimal enhanced features, etc.

The VC should have been the equivalent of iTunes for retro Nintendo console software and it fell far short of that with both the Wii and the Wii U. I'd love to see them do better but Nintendo seems to have a very difficult time wrapping their heads around the potential of what the VC could be versus the half-assed versions they've given us thus far.

Also, modding these boxes is ridiculously easy. Literally anyone can do it.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would sell even more units if Nintendo organized it better instead of trying to preserve its exclusivity or whatever. All of the big stores in my country demanded insane prices for the SNES Mini after its launch because the official Nintendo distributor decided to raise the prices. It costed around 120-140 Euro around Christmas and even after the holidays the prices didn't drop right away.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
How does that make any sense?

They should release as many variants/revisions/reduxs of these things as possible.

Oh God please no. Nothing Nintendo has ever done has given more credence to the old "Nintendo fans will buy anything they put their name on" meme than these things. It's blatant, inefficient nostalgia-milking. What sort of human is going to end up keeping 4 of these goofy looking plastic boxes hooked up to their televisions, in addition to whatever else they've got, for more than a few months? Why on Earth are people clamoring for these games to be arbitrarily divided up between proprietary plastic casings and tethered down by wired controllers?

It's obtuse, impractical collector shit that has had its run. SNES Classic isn't going on to sell 20 million. Just let it die.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Oh God please no. Nothing Nintendo has ever done has given more credence to the old "Nintendo fans will buy anything they put their name on" meme than these things. It's blatant, inefficient nostalgia-milking. What sort of human is going to end up keeping 4 of these goofy looking plastic boxes hooked up to their televisions, in addition to whatever else they've got, for more than a few months? Why on Earth are people clamoring for these games to be arbitrarily divided up between proprietary plastic casings and tethered down by wired controllers?

It's obtuse, impractical collector shit that has had its run. SNES Classic isn't going on to sell 20 million. Just let it die.

There is obviously a market for these retro devices and Nintendo was wise to tap into it, just look at all the money being tossed around the retro market for these older games. Any business worth their salt would be wise to cash in while the iron's hot. It's an inoffensive product that no-one is under any obligation to buy or pay any attention to if it offends their sensibilities.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I don't get it either. They have the Switch. I don't understand why a Switch owner would want a seperate HDMI device just to play SNES games? Not to mention that you can't add more games (legally) and it isn't connected to the Nintendo Account system in any way. And it isn't portable.

Just let me buy the games (again) on the Switch, please.

It is a fun system to give as a present or for someone who doesn't have a Switch (but is interested in these Nintendo classics from the 90's? Weird market segment.).

There is obviously a market for these retro devices and Nintendo was wise to tap into it, just look at all the money being tossed around the retro market for these older games. Any business worth their salt would be wise to cash in while the iron's hot. It's an inoffensive product that no-one is under any obligation to buy or pay any attention to if it offends their sensibilities.

I wouldn't call it inoffensive since I'm guessing we would have had Virtual Console on Switch at this time if it wasn't for the NES/SNES Classic.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is this thing still hard to find? I have one under my desk, still not opened. It was more exciting finding one than actually opening and using it

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
fucking crazy. they doubled the impossible to find nes classic by making this only SOMEWHAT possible to find.

a properly shipped N64 classic would outsell Wii U

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
There is obviously a market for these retro devices and Nintendo was wise to tap into it, just look at all the money being tossed around the retro market for these older games. Any business worth their salt would be wise to cash in while the iron's hot. It's an inoffensive product that no-one is under any obligation to buy or pay any attention to.

Yeah, there was a market, but the market has probably been mostly tapped. I just can't see these things being used by (or sought after by) anyone ~5 years from now. You could not come up with a clunkier way to distribute this classic software if you tried. Just keep them limited and give the Nintendo fans that got in on the ground floor some actual long term value.

Also, we don't see eye to eye on these products being "inoffensive", but I think my last post made my thoughts on that clear lol. *Cue these things selling another 5 million this holiday season*