• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nycgamer4ever

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Was looking for one for months and then gave up. Had a shot to get one a couple of weeks ago on Amazon for msrp and skipped. I'm over this bullshit. Bending over backwards, paying scalp prices to play old ass games. Not gonna stress anymore.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have one of these but I haven't really played much of it since so much of my time is dedicated to Switch and PC... dammit Nintendo get your virtual console thing going

Jan 29, 2018
I have one, I love it. It wasn't hard to get either if you follow Wario64 on Twitter.

Unpopular opinion, but I think I prefer these classic consoles to the Virtual Console approach. I'm not really interested in another drip-feed on the Switch or having it tied to a subscription service.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I have one, I love it. It wasn't hard to get either if you follow Wario64 on Twitter.

Unpopular opinion, but I think I prefer these classic consoles to the Virtual Console approach. I'm not really interested in another drip-feed on the Switch or having it tied to a subscription service.
So you're ok with having a ridiculously limited selection of games? It's fine that you can play DKC1, but not 2 and 3 at all?

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I want VC on the Switch badly but let's not pretend the previous iterations of the service weren't colossal disappointments.

Slow-as-molasses trickle of software, overpriced games, minimal enhanced features, etc.

The VC should have been the equivalent of iTunes for retro Nintendo console software and it fell far short of that with both the Wii and the Wii U. I'd love to see them do better but Nintendo seems to have a very difficult time wrapping their heads around the potential of what the VC could be versus the half-assed versions they've given us thus far.

Also, modding these boxes is ridiculously easy. Literally anyone can do it.
Strongly disagree. I loved the previous iterations of VC. Played so many games I wouldn't have otherwise, like Super Metroid, Super Mario Wor ld, the original DKC games, and so on. No, I don't want to back or mod my Console either. I want everything available in an official capacity on my Switch.

Jan 29, 2018
So you're ok with having a ridiculously limited selection of games? It's fine that you can play DKC1, but not 2 and 3 at all?

By the time the previous Virtual Consoles had the selection I wanted Nintendo was about to sell me a new platform to start all over again. Having 21 representative games up front is preferable to me at this point. The last thing I want us to check ERA every month just to find out that Wario's Woods is the free game with my Switch Online subscription this mongh.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Oh God please no. Nothing Nintendo has ever done has given more credence to the old "Nintendo fans will buy anything they put their name on" meme than these things. It's blatant, inefficient nostalgia-milking. What sort of human is going to end up keeping 4 of these goofy looking plastic boxes hooked up to their televisions, in addition to whatever else they've got, for more than a few months? Why on Earth are people clamoring for these games to be arbitrarily divided up between proprietary plastic casings and tethered down by wired controllers?

It's obtuse, impractical collector shit that has had its run. SNES Classic isn't going on to sell 20 million. Just let it die.

Just because you don't want it doesn't mean that there isn't a market for it. They continue to sell every SNES Classic that they can make so no, it hasn't had its run. They should continue to sell them for as long as there is demand as that is how companies make money.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
5.28 million units x $80 each - $2 total production costs =
TenderRecklessFlickertailsquirrel-size_restricted.gif

Black Knight

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Got mine couple weeks ago, it was worth it, however I wished that they've added more games with the console, now we need N64 mini!

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, there was a market, but the market has probably been mostly tapped. I just can't see these things being used by (or sought after by) anyone ~5 years from now. You could not come up with a clunkier way to distribute this classic software if you tried. Just keep them limited and give the Nintendo fans that got in on the ground floor some actual long term value.

Also, we don't see eye to eye on these products being "inoffensive", but I think my last post made my thoughts on that clear lol. *Cue these things selling another 5 million this holiday season*

We don't have to, that's a YMMV thing. Difference is, if a product doesn't personally appeal to me doesn't mean I need to call for it to end. It's very easy to ignore it and move along if the item doesn't appeal to you in any form.

I wouldn't call it inoffensive since I'm guessing we would have had Virtual Console on Switch at this time if it wasn't for the NES/SNES Classic.

I don't see why one comes at the expense of the other. The Switch is a $300 investment before you could get to buying the games ala carte. Sure Nintendo would love to sell us all on Switches, but in the cases they can't....... here's your $80 retro box full of the games you remember from $25 years ago. There's some crossover obviously for Switch owners who may still buy these things( even if the games were available on the eshop), but it's two different items directed at different consumers. I'm guessing the VC is going to exist in a different form as part of their coming online service and that's why they aren't available for Switch, not because of the existence of the SNES classic.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Strongly disagree. I loved the previous iterations of VC. Played so many games I wouldn't have otherwise, like Super Metroid, Super Mario Wor ld, the original DKC games, and so on. No, I don't want to back or mod my Console either. I want everything available in an official capacity on my Switch.

So do I but I really can't fathom how anyone could look at their previous implementations on the Wii and Wii U and not see the obvious room for vast improvement.

A fully-realized VC could be one of the coolest things ever, especially if Nintendo could get the vast majority of software for previous consoles on the service in a timely manner.

Regardless, I don't think these boxes are the alternative to the VC. I think Nintendo views them as an entirely different product and I would assume we'll get some form of the VC on the Switch in the near future. (Hopefully)

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So do I but I really can't fathom how anyone could look at their previous implementations on the Wii and Wii U and not see the obvious room for vast improvement.

A fully-realized VC could be one of the coolest things ever, especially if Nintendo could get the vast majority of software for previous consoles on the service in a timely manner.

Regardless, I don't think these boxes are the alternative to the VC. I think Nintendo views them as an entirely different product and I would assume we'll get some form of the VC on the Switch in the near future. (Hopefully)
Oh, no, I'm not saying there wasn't room for improvement. There clearly was, whether it major gaps in each system's library, or issues with emulation on certain systems (N64 dark filter, bleh!). But, I still loved the service and the concept of it, warts and all, and it was an important part of my experience with Nintendo Consoles for the last decade. It helped me discover many games I'd never played before, re-discover games I had, and also acted as a great "gap filler" in between major Nintendo exclusives (those games, plus VC, is primarily why I've bought Nintendo systems, as I'd rather play most multiplatform titles elsewhere, honestly).

I'd love to believe there's still some kind of VC equivalent planned, but it's been over a year since Switch launched with no indication of VC, and threads like these showing the ridiculous success of the Classic Consoles. So, I think things are looking pretty dire right now. :(
And this is why we don't have Virtual Console anymore.
Yeah. :(
Eh. Virtual Console rereleases have been historically more expensive than each individual game in the NES and SNES Classic systems. Both business models could easily coexist.
And yet, VC doesn't exist on Switch. :(

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
fucking crazy. they doubled the impossible to find nes classic by making this only SOMEWHAT possible to find.

a properly shipped N64 classic would outsell Wii U
Don't expect one. The only single board computer that can somewhat run n64 is the Odroid XU4 and that's 100$ more or less (and needs active cooling).

They would have to make a very powerfull single board computer and charge a heavy premium for it, defeating the purpose in the first place

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gimme that Gameboy and N64 mini. If they were somehow able to work out those GoldenEye rights my god