• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
Robin64 I read the note you left on your doc about Super Off Road. I don't know about the game in Canoe because I'm not going to add it (I'm tapped out), but if you play the game on emulators, the computer will use Nitros immediately and constantly. It's really easy to test because the game takes place in one screen, so you constantly see what the computer does.

So if you have the game on Canoe and the computer is not using Nitros a few seconds after you start, then there's a problem.

Confirmed - computer does not use nitros in Canoe.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Oct 25, 2017
What is the most straight forward way to update games without needing to delete them? I had been looking for how to do this but always find vague answers as if I should know.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
What is the most straight forward way to update games without needing to delete them? I had been looking for how to do this but always find vague answers as if I should know.
Assuming you are using hakchi CE:

1. Create SFROM of game using DarkAkuma's SFROM tool
2. Open hakchi and right click on game you want to replace. Click 'Show in Windows Explorer' / Press F4
3. Copy your new SFROM into this directory, making sure the filename is the same as the original *
4. Delete the old game
5. Go back to hakchi, click off the game, click back on it and 'Compress' (or you could use 7zip to compress it yourself)
6. Resync (If your games are on USB then you don't need to resync. Just make sure all the filenames are the same.)

* In step 3 you can just copy your new SFROM into the directory. Now click on the file and press F2, copy the filename to clipboard. In hakchi change the command line after the name of the folder i.e. CLV-U-YYYY/paste_name_of_new_sfrom_here.sfrom. Don't forget to recompress the game as in step 5. Resync. This is preferable if you are changing the names of your new SFROms to remember than you've made them all nice.

Last edited:

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone want to mention to sluffy that several Titus games all have a similar issue with the music speeding up or slowing down during gameplay. Might be one fix that works on several games!

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
Does anybody have a recommendation for a usb splitter for external storage?

I have seen the splitter type like this and the L-shaped dongle kind.

Has anybody found one that is working well for them?

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This might be useful.

https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmo...oplay_generator_game_for_snescesuper_famicom/
"It stops the canoe UI, then locates every game you don't currently have an autoplay for. One by one, it will start up each of those games, create a 60-second autoplay, and go on to the next until it's finished. Once finished, it starts the canoe UI back up."

Oh fuck yes!! I've been meaning to do this manually but it seemed like such a chore that I pretty much just gave up on the idea... wow this changes everything! Damn how I love you, internet people! (sometimes)

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Does that script completely chew up your space? That sounds only useful if you're running USB

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know but I can't imagine autoplay files are more than a few KBs?

• WARNING: Save states (and their autoplay cousins) are NOT small. It uses 320K per game for an autoplay and cannot be compressed. Be careful NOT to completely fill your NAND (if that's what you're using)!
Assuming you have minimum 100 games, 320k is about 32MB? Precious space for saves or other games

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Assuming you have minimum 100 games, 320k is about 32MB? Precious space for saves or other games

Fair enough, but I only have around 50 games on my classic and don't intend to add more unless some broken games get fixed. I only want the very best that I'll actually be playing on there.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Gaaaaaaaaahbage you find at Target and RiteAid lining the shelves when all the good stuff is gone

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This might be useful.

https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmo...oplay_generator_game_for_snescesuper_famicom/
"It stops the canoe UI, then locates every game you don't currently have an autoplay for. One by one, it will start up each of those games, create a 60-second autoplay, and go on to the next until it's finished. Once finished, it starts the canoe UI back up."

This is great; however, will it use up as much space as a savestate? I'm assuming no (since it doesn't need an initial save state), because otherwise it would be almost useless, but...

Oct 25, 2017
Are 8bitdo really the best way to go for bluetooth? I was consideirng the SNES pro models with the thumbsticks b/c their d-pads are supposedly much better

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Are 8bitdo really the best way to go for bluetooth? I was considering the SNES pro models with the thumbsticks b/c their d-pads are supposedly much better
I can highly recommend the 8bitdo pads, pro and non pro. I have one of each, a Nincade internally installed and an 8bitdo retro receiver for player two. The lag is unnoticable. I haven't done deep extensive testing, but for playing Super Mario World (a game I know very well and often requires fast reactions) I found the response time imperceptibly similar to a wired controller. I have been using the Pro controller to play Celeste on my Nintendo Switch and prefer it for this over the 'official' Nintendo options because the d-pad is really fantastic.

Both Nincade and retro receiver can be a little fiddly at first, especially if you are swapping between pads a lot. They can get confused and take a bit of fussing to get synced. But once they have been synced they stick that way and turn on in a couple of seconds.

I haven't played any emulated games on SNESc that require analog sticks except N64, and that is known to have a few compatibility problems. It is possible to set it up, but the effort is not really worth it. I have heard better results from people wanting to play PSX games etc. But to be honest I prefer the non pro pad for playing SNES games and would prefer to keep that one synced up with my machine. My pro pad is sticking with my Switch for now and doing a very fine job.

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
So I decided last night to redo everything with hakchi ce, following this guide, but I can't get past the flashing custom kernel part at the start. It gets about a 3rd of the way through and error out saying the "the system cannot find the file at the specified......" and a whole mess of stuff. I'm going for USB hosting, and had no problem with the old tutorial using the dantheman hakchi and that hakchi gui tool. Anyone else had problems or any ideas on what might be happening? Its literally the first step after dumping the original kernel so not sure how it could be anything I am doing but who knows....

FriedConsole

Oct 27, 2017
So I decided last night to redo everything with hakchi ce, following this guide, but I can't get past the flashing custom kernel part at the start. It gets about a 3rd of the way through and error out saying the "the system cannot find the file at the specified......" and a whole mess of stuff. I'm going for USB hosting, and had no problem with the old tutorial using the dantheman hakchi and that hakchi gui tool. Anyone else had problems or any ideas on what might be happening? Its literally the first step after dumping the original kernel so not sure how it could be anything I am doing but who knows....

I found you had to manually copy the hmods and that the drag and drop doesn't work. Probably your problem.

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
I found you had to manually copy the hmods and that the drag and drop doesn't work. Probably your problem.
This is before even that step, I dump the original kernel, then flash custom kernel and it errors out a third of the way through. I thought maybe it was the driver not being installed, but it dumps the original kernel fine. Or says so, even though I see errors in the debug window throughout the dumping process, seems like usb timeout errors maybe. But it completes the dump fine and ive even flashed the original back fine. Could it be interference with virus protection stuff? I didn't get any notifications of anything on that front, but at a loss what is going on here....

WildZero

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Aberdeen, Scotland
I've just switched over to using Hakchi CE & re-made all my sfroms using DarkAkuma's tool, but it has broken save states for everything but the original 21 games. They show up in the save state manager as unknown. Is there a way to fix this?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I've just switched over to using Hakchi CE & re-made all my sfroms using DarkAkuma's tool, but it has broken save states for everything but the original 21 games. They show up in the save state manager as unknown. Is there a way to fix this?

You must have re-added them to hakchi rather than just overwriting the existing .sfrom, which means they will have different game IDs. You should be able to export the unknowns and look at the thumbnail to identify what game they are, then import into the new game ID for that game.

WildZero

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Aberdeen, Scotland
You must have re-added them to hakchi rather than just overwriting the existing .sfrom, which means they will have different game IDs. You should be able to export the unknowns and look at the thumbnail to identify what game they are, then import into the new game ID for that game.
Yeah, I wanted a fresh start with hakchi ce & proper sfroms. I didn't realise it would assign new IDs. Thanks!

aidan

Oct 25, 2017

This is what I did, and it worked. I used FTP to insert the savestate into the appropriate file on the mini, though. Might have been easier just to import via Hakchi.

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
Does anybody have a recommendation for a usb splitter for external storage?

I have seen the splitter type like this and the L-shaped dongle kind.

Has anybody found one that is working well for them?
That looks like the one but it's hit and miss. I bought one with one less connector and it didn't work
Isn't this just the fix that sluffy uploaded? Gingerbreadman mentioned it when he first talked to sluffy
Ginger Beard (as in hairy chin) Man. And I don't even have ginger hair.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are your guys' favorite card game RPGs?

For example, Pokemon TCG on GBC or SNK v Capcom Card Fighters Clash on NGPC.

Personally, I think the latter is one of the best I've ever played but I've never played the Japan-only sequel which adds a lot more content.

There is an English patch that translates almost all of the game but I am having a really hard time getting a working rom to work with the patch. The only pre-patched roms I've found are all messed up and when I try to apply the patch myself it's like it doesn't take even though Lunar says it does.

Can anyone help me with this?

Also, I threw the SNES game Arcana on my Mini but I've never played it. Should I be excited?

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
When you get a ROM, you should use an app to calculate the checksum of it and make sure it's the same as the one listed with the hack.

There are lots of apps to calculate checksum, I use builtin commands to do it on macOS. For Windows you might try http://implbits.com/products/hashtab/

If there's no checksum with the patch, that's annoying and you should try to find the checksum of the correct rom rather than just trying loads of roms.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
What are your guys' favorite card game RPGs?

For example, Pokemon TCG on GBC or SNK v Capcom Card Fighters Clash on NGPC.

Personally, I think the latter is one of the best I've ever played but I've never played the Japan-only sequel which adds a lot more content.

There is an English patch that translates almost all of the game but I am having a really hard time getting a working rom to work with the patch. The only pre-patched roms I've found are all messed up and when I try to apply the patch myself it's like it doesn't take even though Lunar says it does.

Can anyone help me with this?

Also, I threw the SNES game Arcana on my Mini but I've never played it. Should I be excited?

Arcana is pretty much the only "card game" but I'm not even sure it uses card mechanics.

Best card RPG is Baten Kaitos but Pokemon TCG is the next best thing. There's also Magi-Nation on GBC

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
When you get a ROM, you should use an app to calculate the checksum of it and make sure it's the same as the one listed with the hack.

There are lots of apps to calculate checksum, I use builtin commands to do it on macOS. For Windows you might try http://implbits.com/products/hashtab/

If there's no checksum with the patch, that's annoying and you should try to find the checksum of the correct rom rather than just trying loads of roms.

Good advice. DarkAkuma's SFROM Tool also provides checksum info.