• Poll closed .
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I tried a couple of version of Sink or Swim, but neither showed up an ID in SFROM. When I tried adding the preset ID to the SFROM myself, I still got the water rising glitch. The game is unplayable. I am not bothered too much about this game, but wondering if people have play tested it extensively?

I think it's definitely going to need a second look, I can't remember who confirmed it working at this point. SFROM Tool expects this ROM, by the way:

CRC32: 0x09ae53f5
MD5: 0xe49ae43bed71c1f9dc568936c83d28ee
SHA1: 0x0b793c19ee452b12d3f4ecb12c1c24f889b68671

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
I think it's definitely going to need a second look, I can't remember who confirmed it working at this point. SFROM Tool expects this ROM, by the way:

CRC32: 0x09ae53f5
MD5: 0xe49ae43bed71c1f9dc568936c83d28ee
SHA1: 0x0b793c19ee452b12d3f4ecb12c1c24f889b68671
That's not the MD5 of either of the versions I have (one from Goodrom pack). I even tried some European variations and no luck. Very strange.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
no-intro

The problem with GoodRoms is that you also get all the crap (bad dumps, alternate dumps, old revisions, weird hacks, pirate copies, etc).
I searched online for that CRC32 number and found a few links to SOS - a completely different game: https://superfamicom.org/info/septentrion

Are you sure that's the right MD5? The one I have here - headerless - for Sink or Swim (U).smc is: 0544fe7544b823f3f4886622c06b1021

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Ugh, total brainfart from me. Who'd have thought there'd be two games about sinking called SOS or with the abbreviation SOS.

But you say 10A2 doesn't fix Sink or Swim anyway? So I should just remove it from the .cnp in that case.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Yeah. I tried the ID both ways around as well, just in case it was entered incorrectly. The game plays for a minute and then the graphics glitch out.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Yeah. I tried the ID both ways around as well, just in case it was entered incorrectly. The game plays for a minute and then the graphics glitch out.

Is it exactly the same when using 0000?

I'm now wondering if 10A2 was meant for the other SOS..

Edit: The other sheet says, for Sink or Swim: "Use preset id 0xA210 (CTRL+ALT+E in Hakchi) to fix water rising issues. Game plays fine then." So clearly an incorrect report!

Last edited:

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Yeah, I check both compatibility sheets out. It looks as though the water has risen, but it's just a graphical glitch that separates the player from the background sprites. If that that ID is meant for the other game it definitely doesn't do what the sheet says. There's no water rising dynamic in that game.

I will try again later and check.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, that is what was on an old version of that sheet

Use preset id 0xA210 (CTRL+ALT+E in Hakchi) to fix water rising issues. Game plays fine then. Doesn't Work If you Use A Bomb In The First Level The Water Rises And The Game Becomes Unplayble <-- use said preset ID and correct rom, works fine here when using a bomb, please confirm

Are there other versions of the game out there? Person may have been using Retroarch as well unknowingly

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ugh, total brainfart from me. Who'd have thought there'd be two games about sinking called SOS or with the abbreviation SOS.

But you say 10A2 doesn't fix Sink or Swim anyway? So I should just remove it from the .cnp in that case.

Actually, one is called SOS, the other one is S.O.S. Sink or Swim :P

To avoid confusion, S.O.S. should be moved to the top of the list since that's where it should be grammatically.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Is it exactly the same when using 0000?

I'm now wondering if 10A2 was meant for the other SOS..

Edit: The other sheet says, for Sink or Swim: "Use preset id 0xA210 (CTRL+ALT+E in Hakchi) to fix water rising issues. Game plays fine then." So clearly an incorrect report!

Sluffy might be able to fix it. I remember old DOS versions of ZSNES having that same issue for that game.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
There are lots. Check the doc.

Act Raiser 2 should be easy since the map is readily accessible.
Nosferatu, also easy. The glitches are apparent as soon as you play the first level and reach the boss.
S.O.S. Sink or Swim, water rising glitch.

And many more :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Yeah, there's a whole bunch that needs doing. I've been taking a break from doing stuff ON the SNES Mini to try and figure out some hack stuff for minor issues I don't want to burden sluffy with just yet.

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
have there been breakthroughs that make graphical changes to the UI possible, or other huge additions. Etc.
Graphical changes to the UI are possible afaik, but I don't know exactly where to look for that info. Sorry.
In terms of UI graphics, we can replace it with our own theme. I'm working on a hmod that will allow us a different theme per folder, so you can have the interface look like NES/FC/GB/SNES/SFC and more if they are drawn.

In terms of the way the UI functions, it is written in Lua so should be easily editable, but it's compiled using LuaJIT and I have been unable to find a decompiler that works.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My GB games stopped booting. They were working fine becore. I just installed the VBA core and the GBA games won't boot, either.

Also, most of my NeoGeo Pocket roms don't boot but the ones that do came from the same source.

What i mean is I launch the game, it briefly goes to a black screen then returns to the SNES Classic menu.

What did I do wrong/mess up?

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
My GB games stopped booting. They were working fine becore. I just installed the VBA core and the GBA games won't boot, either.

Also, most of my NeoGeo Pocket roms don't boot but the ones that do came from the same source.

What i mean is I launch the game, it briefly goes to a black screen then returns to the SNES Classic menu.

What did I do wrong/mess up?

Change the command line to boot with the core you want.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Robin64 DarkAkuma

Did the test fixes Sluffy posted about solving the overscan issues for these 3 games work?
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25789.msg352131#msg352131

It seems the Uniracers stuff might have caused people to miss that post from him?

Also, I think there should be a "Thanks to" section in the OP, to thank people like DarkAkuma, Robin and obviously Sluffy who has managed to find fixes for a bunch of games in less than a week. And also the people that contributed money to buy those VC releases, specially the one who bought Marvelous. Their names should be immortalized somewhere.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Hey, after some testing with the newest version of DarkAkuma's SFROM tool and Robin64's update pack, here is some info on the question which translations patches might work in the process and which not.

Using version 1.1.0.4 of the sfrom tool and adding the translation patches via the advanced settings (without ticking the PCM option) I got running sfroms with the correct PID and VC patches applied for the following games:
- Clock Tower
- Final Fantasy VI Ted Woolsey Edition
- Front Mission
- Front Mission - Gun Hazard
- Marvelous
- Treasure of the Rudras

Some of the IPS translation patches above are looking for headered roms, so use IPSBehead to get rid of that part of the patches before applying them to your unheadered roms.

Two games still give me a C8 after patching and uploading:
- Bahamut Lagoon
- Seiken Densetsu 3

Breath of Fire II Re-Translated, the last game I checked, seems to be a special case. The game is loading up fine but the 'integrity check' at the beginning is failing, probably due to using IPSBehead to get rid of the header of the IPS file.

I was quite surprised though that 6 out of 9 games are working in the way described. Although problems may arise in the later part of the games of course.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
C8? Don't you mean C7? If you are getting C8 errors, it means you have too many roms in one page

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have anyone got NBA Jam TE 32X to work? I just get a black screen when loading a game. Apparently it is a problem with eeprom saving but the game works on android retroarch with the picodrive core, maybe some setting I'm missing?

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
I can't post at the romhacking Sluffy thread without waiting days for my comments to be okayed. So I will post here also:

Just wanted to drop in and say thanks for all the work on Canoe patches! Really appreciated.

There are a few issues I know of that I've not seen mentioned here yet:

- Front Mission: Gun Hazard - cart saves do not work in Canoe. Upon game reset they are deleted. Somebody mentioned it might be a leftover piracy measure for the cart.
- Lemmings: the cursor flickers constantly in Canoe. Minor glitch, but very annoying and probably easy to solve.
- Micro Machines 2: constant engine sound in game.
- Little Magic: game either doesn't load or only gets to menu before it crashes
- Space Megaforce: Bass sound in music 'pops' at high level
- Toddlers: Music pops similar to SMF above
- Super Family Tennis: game menu is broken
- Rendering Ranger R2: black screen on load
- Cho Aniki: Bakuretsu Ranto Hen: Some minor graphical glitches when carrying out 'special move'

Last edited:

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Any boxart makers want to take a crack at making a US-style boxart for two Japanese games?

1. Shin Seikoku: La Wares (or just La Wares for short)

2. Xak: The Art of Visual Stage

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
Have anyone got NBA Jam TE 32X to work? I just get a black screen when loading a game. Apparently it is a problem with eeprom saving but the game works on android retroarch with the picodrive core, maybe some setting I'm missing?
I'm pretty certain that game (and most 32x games) don't run. it is one of the best JAM versions, but I recommend getting nba jam 2017 edition hack and nba jam te hack with rosters fully unlocked instead

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, after some testing with the newest version of DarkAkuma's SFROM tool and Robin64's update pack, here is some info on the question which translations patches might work in the process and which not.

Using version 1.1.0.4 of the sfrom tool and adding the translation patches via the advanced settings (without ticking the PCM option) I got running sfroms with the correct PID and VC patches applied for the following games:
- Clock Tower
- Final Fantasy VI Ted Woolsey Edition
- Front Mission
- Front Mission - Gun Hazard
- Marvelous
- Treasure of the Rudras

Some of the IPS translation patches above are looking for headered roms, so use IPSBehead to get rid of that part of the patches before applying them to your unheadered roms.

Two games still give me a C8 after patching and uploading:
- Bahamut Lagoon
- Seiken Densetsu 3

Breath of Fire II Re-Translated, the last game I checked, seems to be a special case. The game is loading up fine but the 'integrity check' at the beginning is failing, probably due to using IPSBehead to get rid of the header of the IPS file.

I was quite surprised though that 6 out of 9 games are working in the way described. Although problems may arise in the later part of the games of course.

C8? Don't you mean C7? If you are getting C8 errors, it means you have too many roms in one page

I'm not sure actually and can't check at the moment. Too many roms shouldn't be the cause in my case. I'm using folders and don't have more than 30 games in one folder. But it was late last night. So maybe just a typo.

For what it's worth, I'm also getting a C8 error when I create and patch Seiken Densetsu 3 via the SFROM tool. I use a clean ROM with the proper checksums + Robin's patch, but it only boots up a black screen. I have to turn off the device, which produces a C8 error. I'm using folders, and there are only about 15 games in that folder.

Oddly, the same thing happens if I create an .sfrom of the game *without* the english translation.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I see in the compatibility sheet that Terranigma is listed as working. I thought there were issues reported, initially?

Does the 60Hz version work?

Also interested in Seiken Densetu 3. Is the gamma issue overly noticeable?

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
I see in the compatibility sheet that Terranigma is listed as working. I thought there were issues reported, initially?

Does the 60Hz version work?

Also interested in Seiken Densetu 3. Is the gamma issue overly noticeable?
NTSC Terranigma works great. Use the SFROM Tool and Robin64's patch pack to create it.

Seiken Densetsu gamma issues are intermittent, and seem to only affect some menus and the text box. They don't bother me, but YMMV.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Any boxart makers want to take a crack at making a US-style boxart for two Japanese games?

1. Shin Seikoku: La Wares (or just La Wares for short)

2. Xak: The Art of Visual Stage
I had a go... grab here

Edit: plus a japanese style one for Xak here

ybcoXbo.png

NJGPUla.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty certain that game (and most 32x games) don't run. it is one of the best JAM versions, but I recommend getting nba jam 2017 edition hack and nba jam te hack with rosters fully unlocked instead

It's actually the only 32X game that don't work for me. But I'll look into the unlocked rosters hack (haven't had any contact with NBA since the 90s so the old rosters are a lot more recognizable for me:)).

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like sluffy (reading his latest post) is starting to feel overwhelmed with requests, should probably chill and appreciate the fixes he has provided so far and let him get to them whenever he has time. He fixed my wanted game so I'm pretty happy with what he's done.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Will look into the SD3 issue when I get home.

The only way I can get the game to boot is to create an .sfrom from the pre-patched English rom using the correct PID, but set to HiROM (whereas the patch pack wants to create a LoROM.) Setting this .sfrom to LoROM creates a loop of the logo and title screen with garbled graphics.

The following combinations all produced a black screen and a c8 error:
  • JPN Rom + Robin's patch pack
  • JPN Rom + Eng. translation patch + Robin's patch pack
  • JPN Rom + Eng. translation patch
I've double checked the checksum info, and it matches correctly.

Last edited: