Should they delay AW2 to avoid Spider-Man, Assassin's Creed, Super Mario, Red Dead, Sonic, & Forza?

• Yes

Votes: 1,277 56.6%
  • No

Votes: 979 43.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Just want to say that yall is a little late on this. The release date was already announced when it was first shown off in the Nintendo Direct.
fetchimage

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Speaking of games getting buried, just seen the cool looking Indie horror game World of Horror is getting released October 19th.

No way I will have time for that with everything else releasing in September, October and November, December is absolutely barren in comparison.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, releasing any game in October seems like asking for trouble unless you are one of the big guns.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
It will be the Mission Impossible 7 of gaming, a fantastic experience released too close to other big name blockbusters and buried in the sea of competition.

Syne

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Feb 5, 2023
UK
Is anything actually releasing in November lol everyone just said "Fuck AWII in particular"

MirageDwarf

Oct 28, 2017
Meanwhile I bet Sega thought they were super smart putting Yakuza in November to let the dust settle a bit... only to have it go up against COD lol. (hilariously this is a running theme when it comes to Yakuza releases)
I'd think at least that works well as counter programming where number of players who are into both heavily is very low.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
It will be the Mission Impossible 7 of gaming, a fantastic experience released too close to other big name blockbusters and buried in the sea of competition.
Not at all. MI is literally the crowd pleasing blockbuster that was expected to bury everything else. It would be analogous if Alan Wake somehow buried Spiderman, and Spidey would be MI in that case.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'd think at least that works well as counter programming where number of players who are into both heavily is very low.
Yeah, COD wont be the thing that hurts Yakuza to be honest. I mean, it survived Final Fantasy and God of War games launching right beside it more than once, I doubt the overlap is really all thhat big. It just makes me laugh that Sega keeps unwittingly releasing the series next to these big releases!

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Would love to hear the thought process behind launching Alan Wake 2 that week

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Meanwhile I bet Sega thought they were super smart putting Yakuza in November to let the dust settle a bit... only to have it go up against COD lol. (hilariously this is a running theme when it comes to Yakuza releases)
It looks like a mid budget side game. I dont think sega expects or even needs huge sales numbers for it to be a success

Ganepark32

Nov 21, 2021
Would love to hear the thought process behind launching Alan Wake 2 that week

To be fair to Remedy, at the time they announced the release date, there wasn't really anything else announced for that week. They probably hoped that there wouldn't be as much competition (not sure if they'd have had insight into what other developers/publishers were doing with their titles). It's unfortunate that since then, just about every other big late fall game just happens to be coming out that week/in October.

It is what it is unfortunately. Given their rationale for going digital only, I'm not expecting them to be able to pull the release date forward (they mentioned going digital only allowed them more time to finish up the game which they wouldn't have if they went with a physical release as well). Their best bet if they want space is to push back to early next year but I suspect Epic have a large say in when it comes out given they funded the development. If they don't move, we'll likely not hear for years which party was responsible for them sticking with the date.

Sep 6, 2022
Ubisoft decided "we don't want to crater our sales on PlayStation by going up against Spidey" and pushed the date forward instead.

Exceedingly rare W from Ubisoft.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Lol! Rock and a hard place but damn this thread has been hilarious and what an interesting ending. (?) Shows they are thinking about this sort of thing.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get how 10 days change things significantly
It's marginally better. Especially compared to the og release window of all the October games which had AW2 sandwiched between AC, Spidey 2 and Mario.

Now AW2 is coming a week after Mario and Spidey and AC is pretty far away.

mikhailt

Aug 30, 2019
Damnit, I had that whole week off (not for this game, it was just perfect timing). Now I'm wondering if I want to shift it down and deal with the paperwork.

mikhailt

Aug 30, 2019
Really hope this will lead to the game being 10-day worth more polished as well.

I really want to play this on day 1 and not deal with all of the fuckery that's been happening to a lot of PC games this year.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Getting it and playing it day one, in fact the only other game I'll get in October is Mario.

I agree that Remedy (and Epic) should try to move the game to a better timeslot, the little we have seen from the game looks amazing and it would be a shame if it bombs.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017

How about 2 more, on the same day even

View: https://twitter.com/GamerTrader1/status/1693521016222330953

This is just harassment at this point, this saga isn't over yet.

Devs will follow AW2 wherever it goes. Alan Wake 2 must not succeed /s

At least both of these are relatively smaller games compared to AW2 in terms of possible popularity. I know Bloodlines 2 is pretty close and there was a lot of excitement for it over the initial announcement, but that game is the definition of development hell. Here is hoping it actually turns out good (though I doubt it).

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This is all very meta. Something really doesn't want Alan to escape his fate🤔