Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I have this theory that everyone keeps telling themselves that they like Assassin's Creed games, but actually don't.

I don't have any evidence. Just a hunch.
I have this theory that everyone here keeps telling everyone that they hate Ubisoft games, but actually haven't played one in years.

Furious Dracula

Alt Account
Banned
May 9, 2020
Each to their own, I really enjoyed it. I thought the setting was really cool, Greek ruled Egypt is fascinating, and it is crazy to have the perspective that the pyramids were already older then, than cleopatra is now.
Assassins creed games do have a particular style though, I tend to enjoy them whilst playing, but then really not feel like playing another one for a few years. I am yet to play odyssey, though I am starting to get tempted.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Isn't a point of RPGs to do the side content as well as the main content? I honestly can't think of an RPG that doesn't push you to do that. I do everything, so I never ran into this issue here to see if this game is particularly worse.
Doing side content because you want to is one thing. Gating you from advancing in the game to force you to grind levels or pay for boosters is another and it's bad game design.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Fortunately that doesn't happen in either Origins or Odyssey and anyone who claims otherwise either hasn't played the game or is lying.
It happens in origins. Sometimes I wanted to advance the story and couldn't because the enemy levels and quest requirements were higher than mine and the enemies killed me with one hit, so I had to grind via side quests to level up.
That made me stay away from AC Odyssey because I read the same thing happens in it.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
It's not awful. It's just really boring.
The steath and the combat are kinda awful though.

For some reason I found exploring the world, doing side quests and finding new stuff in a game the the Witcher 3 really fun.
But in Assassins Creed I find it really boring.
I don't know why.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It happens in origins. Sometimes I wanted to advance the story and couldn't because the enemy levels and quest requirements were higher than mine and the enemies killed me with one hit, so I had to grind via side quests to level up.
That made me stay away from AC Odyssey because I read the same thing happens in it.

No. You never have to "grind". You never have to do a single one of those dynamically generated fetch/kill quests.
You might have to do a unique side quest at some points to be able to advance in the main story, but that is no different from Witcher 3 or any other open world RPG that has levels, and I promise you it's going to be the same in, say, Cyberpunk.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
No. You never have to "grind". You never have to do a single one of those dynamically generated fetch/kill quests.
You might have to do a unique side quest at some points to be able to advance in the main story, but that is no different from Witcher 3 or any other open world RPG that has levels, and I promise you it's going to be the same in, say, Cyberpunk.
Well, I'm telling you that was my exactly experience. I had to do a few fetch quests here and there to level up and be able to advance the story. You can't say I don't have to do what I did.
The game forced me time and again to do it and if Valhalla still has level requirements for missions, I'll avoid it.
Dragon Age, The Witcher 3 and other rpg games never forced me into doing fetch quests so I can level up to advance the story.
I'm sorry, but that's just how it is.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
I agree to an extent - Ubi has a habit of filling their games with boring crap. The OCD in me means I get burned out before I even finish the main quest - I never finished the Origins main quest despite putting 60+ hours in but I still had a lot of fun with the game. Exact same thing happened in Odyssey (not as good a game as Origins).

Ubi need to either cut down their worlds and boring side quests or take some inspiration from the Witcher 3 and fill the world with fun and interesting quests.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Well, I'm telling you that was my exactly experience. I had to do a few fetch quests here and there to level up and be able to advance the story. You can't say I don't have to do what I did.
The game forced me time and again to do it and if Valhalla still has level requirements for missions, I'll avoid it.

I don't care enough to replay Origins for the third time just to prove you wrong with receipts, but I finished it twice and I didn't have to do a single one of those non-unique quests.

DukeBobby

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call it awful, but I didn't care for it that much. The worlds Ubisoft create are beautiful, but they are not filled with any meaningful content and are also lacking from a story and combat perspective.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Incredible setting, I love this game. Bayek is the man.

edit: lmao people still think they had to pay for boosters or grind to progress

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing through it now. While I agree that the gameplay itself leaves a lot to be desired, the story is excellent. I don't know what you're talking about. The only thing that had me going "wtf" is near the end where Bayek and Aya are like "It was him all along! We trusted him. We were so blind" etc. except the guy they were talking about had like 3 lines in the entire game up till then and only showed up 2 missions prior

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Neither games are awful. They are both very well done.

For me, the content amount outweighs the gameplay feedback loop way too much to finish the game.

Too much uninteresting content is actually a thing, one that this gen has shown quite a bit. Witcher 3 and RDR2 get more of a pass because the content remains entertaining. The quests tend to be a bit more entertaining even if the feedback loop doesn't change much.

The new AC games go too far in this direction.

cyklisten

Nov 12, 2017
This.
I don't get the point of these threads attacking Games Others Like.
Like... okay? What do you hope to get out of it? It's either a circle jerk with others who do not like this Thing Others Like, or a flamewar bait.

Cool. You did not like it. Thanks for the update.

I don´t understand how stating an opinion here is wrong. Just because you don´t agree with it doesn´t make it wrong. Not everybody is the same and interested in the similar things. To think that Assasins Creed: Origins is bad is not a personal attack on you or your friends.
A game can control great and still be shit.
It can look amazing and still be shit.
It can have tons and tons of content and replayability and still be shit.
It can have sublime writing and story and still be shit.
Because, it´s about not only how the multitude of cogs function together, but also how the player responds to each cog individually as well as together.
Just because a game is highly regarded by the many doesn´t make the opinion of the few any less valid.

I don´t get how it´s okay for people to create a thread praising the game, but it´s not allowed to create a thread not praising the game? Like, wtf is the point of having a discussion forum then?

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Origins, and Odyssey too for that matter. Sure there was a bit too much going on in the games, but it's not like you had to do everything. I just replayed Odyssey again and was hit level 40 before I even uncovered half the map.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I don´t understand how stating an opinion here is wrong. Just because you don´t agree with it doesn´t make it wrong. Not everybody is the same and interested in the similar things. To think that Assasins Creed: Origins is bad is not a personal attack on you or your friends.
A game can control great and still be shit.
It can look amazing and still be shit.
It can have tons and tons of content and replayability and still be shit.
It can have sublime writing and story and still be shit.
Because, it´s about not only how the multitude of cogs function together, but also how the player responds to each cog individually as well as together.
Just because a game is highly regarded by the many doesn´t make the opinion of the few any less valid.

I don´t get how it´s okay for people to create a thread praising the game, but it´s not allowed to create a thread not praising the game? Like, wtf is the point of having a discussion forum then?

Oh you are totally allowed to make a thread like this. But the unnecessary inflammatory title coupled with some questionable assumptions about Dark Souls and whatnot... I'm just wondering what the desired discourse is.

For example, I strongly disliked Death Stranding, which seems to be a darling game for many here. But if I wanted to make a thread about how I'm not enjoying it, I would probably say something like "tell me what you enjoyed about this game" instead of leading with "this game is awful".
The results would probably be more informative and it wouldn't just be a circle jerk or a flamewar.

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany
Yeah the game is just offensively mediocre. Not bad per se (apart from the quests and combat) but just so bland and focus tested.
The setting held me for like 3-4 hours. Then I just lost all interest.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Origins and even moreso Odyssey put way too much emphasis on level progression. It's not just that quests are level gated and side quests are necessary, it's that enemies two or three levels above you end up being damage sponges and are a pain in the ass to kill. Not just a challenge, which would be fine, but annoying.

They're so close to being dream games of mine, open world melee action games with Souls-inspired combat, but the emphasis on level absolutely kills it for me. They took inspiration from Souls for combat, but missed the fact that the power curve in Souls is small enough that a skilled player can take on any enemy at level 1. That's *technically* possible in modern Ass Creed too, I think, but the damage number scaling makes it way, way more annoying.

Valhalla is apparently dropping levels and I'm really hoping that evens it out more.

I've been playing Skyrim again recently, and, while the level scaling isn't perfect and is often derided, at least it does it's job and allows the player to choose what they want to do and where they want to go, while also keeping enough low level enemies around that the feeling of power is still there. Souls games, while not quite as open, similarly allow players to go to some near end game areas right from the start. I think Assassins Creed needs to strive for the same kind of goal.

Also, really not a fan of people saying that those who dislike the progression system and level gating in the new Assassins Creed games didn't play it. I've bought Odyssey twice, once on PS4 and once on PC (hoping 60 FPS would make it better for me), and have put some time into both.

Apr 25, 2020
Welcome to Ubisoft open world games. They fill these overly massive worlds with nothing but junk activities/filler and it sells anyway. If the content that is there to be found was actually interesting (eg. Witcher 3) and diverse, then those games would be far, far better received.

Gans

Oct 27, 2017
This title is clear bait, feels like a thread just done to rile up community without any real approach to discussion, something as simple as: I didn't like this game because of x y z and what did you guys think about it would have engaged in a far more fun discussion, atm is just people throwing stones lol.

On subject, try odyssey maybe? For me was the most fun I had in an open world this gen, although have to say the gameplay loop felt super fun to me but can see other people finding it tedious.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I have this theory that everyone here keeps telling everyone that they hate Ubisoft games, but actually haven't played one in years.

I played Far Cry 5 last which demonstrated to me that the Ubisoft design philosophy just doesn't do it.

Remove the map markers, make the game about 3 times more difficult and get rid of all of those pathetic "timesaver" boosters (because designing a mechanic that incentivises playing less inspires a great deal of confidence /s) and maybe we'll talk.

And this is by no means an Ubi specific problem, they just create their games so predictably formulaicly that it's easy to skip them.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Well this sold me on the game, I very much like games that provide opportunities for emergent gameplay. If you had to pick one, Origins or Odyssey?
Odyssey pushes it further than Origins by adding more unpredictable elements and ofc an over the top set of builds the player can invest in. Origins was the first step, Odyssey was the full push. Valhalla will be iterating on both.

Oct 28, 2017
I really enjoyed the game but I understand what you're saying about the quests, it's the same in Odyssey. And the concept of time savers is just so backwards it's unbelievable. I really do hope that they improve the quests for Valhalla, so far the talk sounds promising but as always the proof will be in the pudding.

nacimento

Oct 27, 2017
Origins is excellent. A brilliantly realised world and playing it felt great during its entire playtime.

FTL on the other hand... I found it quite boring and pointless. Wasn't worth the 5 € I paid for it.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
I have this theory that everyone keeps telling themselves that they like Assassin's Creed games, but actually don't.

"I didn't like it, so that means anyone who liked it actually didn't and are just tricking themselves into thinking they did! Everyone are sheep, but me!"

Watch out for those moons orbiting around your ego dude.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
But the game worlds are created with a lot of thought and logic to it. The way NPC activities happen in tandem with the environment design is a highlight of Ubisoft games, specifically AC games. Karak from ACG has talked about it in his walking the walk videos. For example you'd see brick makers working next to a river because they need water, a random NPC comes in and picks up the bricks and carries it to the other part of the village and places them individually, and you can see those bricks stack up rather than just disappear into each other. A farm will always be next to a river or a stream from a river, a quarry will always have a mine next to it, an affluent London area will have people dressed differently doing different activities than a less affluent area, the garden in front of Big Ben being a place for aristocratic families to hang out having their pictures taken, and talking about business, whereas the Trafalgar square will have your average people hanging out and feeding the birds. Basically the game worlds are built logically, all of these places similarly populated with NPCs doing activities that are extremely detailed and have just the right amount of touch to make it feel unique.

People will miss this if they don't pay attention to it, but that doesn't mean it's not there.

If their games were a mishmash of various different things with differing visions you'd have developmental issues simply due to the fact that these are such large projects with so many people working on them that not having a cohesive singular vision would lead to a catastrophic failure. Anyone with knowledge of project/software development would know that and it's pretty much why Ubisoft is able to make these games so quickly because simply having lots of people working on it isn't enough, more often than not that actually leads to problems. Sure there are no auteurs in Ubisoft outside of Clint Hocking and Michael Ancel, but you don't need an auteur to have a singular creative vision.

I agree with this. And I mentioned it on the OP how Origins is a great technical achievement. But I asked myself if this make it a better game, if I should not call it awful simply because of that, and, evidently, I decided that no. I'm not saying it's easy or there is not talented people involved, but this technical achievement is greatly in part a result of brute force, of massive resources and manpowers. That's why I mentioned FTL, because it feels the opposite, something that the work was done in the head of the creators, rather than simply in the programming and modeling and that technical stuff.

Think of it this way. If AC was an essay, it would have been written in a high quality paper that's very nice to touch. It would be handwritten in the most beautiful letters. It would be full of beautiful images carefully colored... but what is actually written, the subject, the ideas and thought processes that would make for a great essay are barely there. I would call that a awful essay.

rehjul

Dec 27, 2018
I hate the new style of AC (Origins and Odyssey) so much. I wish I didn't. The old formula was getting long in the tooth but the new formula is not what I want out of an AC or a video game in general
Can you elaborate on what aspect of the formula you didn't engage with? The loop seems pretty reminiscent of most adventure games.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Witcher 3 destroyed open worlds for me including new ac. Recently finiahed hearts of stone since that i skipped for some reason and went with blood and wine. Anyway quest, writing, characters, quest branching, decisions, new discoveries all the time....its still better thab 95% gamrs on market.

I enjoyed origins and odyssey they re not awfull but still not touching witcher. I played odyssey for 120h but wouldnt still give it more than 8. Its like they tried to mix witcher and dark souls light.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Magical game and one of my favourites this generation.
I really like the combat also, it's impactful and tense on the highest difficulty (just make sure to not rely on the not great lock on system). Going through the Gladiator Arena challanges or the highly entertaining horde mode is great fun.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
I enjoyed the last couple AC games precisely because they weren't too intense, and I could just kick back controlling a character in this rich, detailed world, without having to think too much and worry about "mechanics", and instead just loose myself in the setting.

Minlow

Dec 3, 2018
After roughly 150 hours combined with Origins and Odyssey, I can safely say I tried my hardest to enjoy them.

They are not good games, but this year got me doing weird shit to keep busy

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
The modern AC games are the epitome of the 8th generation for me.

Gigantic open worlds with ultimately nothing but fluff to pad them out.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with this. And I mentioned it on the OP how Origins is a great technical achievement. But I asked myself if this make it a better game, if I should not call it awful simply because of that, and, evidently, I decided that no. I'm not saying it's easy or there is not talented people involved, but this technical achievement is greatly in part a result of brute force, of massive resources and manpowers. That's why I mentioned FTL, because it feels the opposite, something that the work was done in the head of the creators, rather than simply in the programming and modeling and that technical stuff.

Think of it this way. If AC was an essay, it would have been written in a high quality paper that's very nice to touch. It would be handwritten in the most beautiful letters. It would be full of beautiful images carefully colored... but what is actually written, the subject, the ideas and thought processes that would make for a great essay are barely there. I would call that a awful essay.
I enjoy Ubisoft games a lot more than say Sony games, primarily because of player agency.
Ubisoft basically went in a direction where they decided to give the player a lot of agency in every game with the differentiation being basically the tools you have available in each game, now this means the missions may be less unique and maybe not as imaginative i ndesign but I can insert my own creativity in it because it allows me to do that and I enjoy that a lot more. Which is why I enjoy them so much, even Siege for example is an MP game full of agency allowing you to get creative with your strategy more than any other MP game I've played and that's what makes it unique to me.

Last edited:

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
Odyssey to me felt like the embodiment of "designed by committee", but Origins is not far.