Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Super late to the Switch party, basically just picked one up for Smash Bros around Christmas and figured I'd go check out some of the older exclusives I'd missed.

Imagine my surprise when Zelda BOTW and Bayonetta 2 are both still $60 new everywhere I look. What's the deal with that? Where do people look for cheap Switch games? Is this just Nintendo being anti-consumer because they can?

Unfortunately Nintendo developed games/published always retain their value - for better or for worse.

Side note: Looked up Octopath Traveler for purchase on Nintendo store - $60. Look it up on Amazon (and physical copy, mind you) - $48. I swear, i just do not understand.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo tax. They have evergreen titles that sell for the entire lifespan of their hardware.
Nintendo tax?
It would be called Nintendo tax if the games launches at $70 vs their competitors games at $60 a pop. Nintendo tax would be 16.7%.
Games or whatever products not dropping in price isn't some kind of "tax". Tax is an added cost to goods. There is no added cost to a price that stays the same for a long period of time.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo games might not drop in price for a long time, OP, but plenty of Switch games have already dropped. MHGU for example.

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo consoles are premium consoles for premium users. Expect to spend lots of money afterwards if you buy a Nintendo machine.

I think Nintendo is doing it right though. It's safe to buy a Zelda game even two years after launch for $60. Buying any other game for full price after launch comes with a risk of a price drop happening and you having wasted your money. The constant rapid discounting is bad for the game industry as a whole.

Manzoli

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Nintendo games were always like that.

The problem is, on the switch, that third parties are doing the same.

I don't understand how can Skyrim be 60 on the eShop... I would buy at a heart beat for 20... Or even 30...

If you think 60 for a 2 years old is expensive, how about a 8 years old game?

Jesus....

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo games were always like that.

The problem is, on the switch, that third parties are doing the same.

I don't understand how can Skyrim be 60 on the eShop... I would buy at a heart beat for 20... Or even 30...

If you think 60 for a 2 years old is expensive, how about a 8 years old game?

Jesus....

Doesn't Nintendo publish Skyrim on Switch?

EDIT: Apparently they don't. This page lists Bethesda as the publisher.
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-switch

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
I've said it plenty times before that the other companies shoot themselves in the foot but dropping the price of their games so early, or releasing a "complete" edition not even a year later.

Games should hold value. Besides sequels and general lack of interest, they shouldn't drop in price. People who place BotW on March 3, 2017 will the same (but not really, actually better due to updates) experience as someone who played it on March 3, 2017. But for some reason, you think you should get it cheaper because you waited for it?

This is a luxury. And it's one of the cheaper ones at that. These games cost tens to hundreds of millions (and much smaller on the indie scene) to produce, and they continue to climb. Despite this the price to purchase them hasn't increased in 14 years.

I think it's a bit unfair to call not dropping the price greedy/selfish/anti-consumer because it makes the hobby more expensive and less people can afford it.

People can buy the "new" call of duty or sports games every year in near 10s of millions without issue ay 60, but Zelda being 60 bucks for two years, with more content and quality of life changes than launch is blasphemy. The crazy thing is they know that the sport game and CoD will devauled in the next ten months to next to nothing. (CoD maybe not as bad these days).

If you honestly don't see the value in it, just don't support it. But if you're just being cheap, don't bash the company because you don't like MSRP. Honestly, we say Nintendo conditioned platters to pay full price, where I think we've been more conditioned to just wait for a price drop. There are games out there (God of War) that I totally think it's worth every penny of the 60 bucks, but I didn't buy it at that price because i feel like Sony has an "early adopter tax" on their games and in six months they sell it at what they really value it as. And in six months, that game and Detroit (which was only five months old) dropped to $40.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Games dont get permanent drops but they do go on sale and have promotions. I got Splatoon 2, Smash Ultimate, Odysdey, Pokemon Lets Go and soon to be Yoshi at launch for $50. Those games are normally $80 Canadian. I got Bayonetta 1+2 for $30 Canadian. Dragon Ball FighterZ for half price. World of FF Maxima is on sale for half price right now.

For the general populace I could see this issue. For people on boards? The only way I have to pay full price for Switch games is if I buy them at launch. And that's only sometimes lol.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo games haven't dropped in price since the dawn of the DS/Wii.

I can remember tons of first party games getting massively discounted up until the gamecube era (we're talking $10), and I think Iwata drew a line in the sand after that.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Its why Nintendo platforms continue to be best as companion devices to PS/XB/PC. Due to the Nintendo Tax you'll usually only end up buying a fraction of the games on your Nintendo system as you will on your other systems.

It's been this way since at least the N64.
To each their own, but I have about 7x the Switch library as my Xbox One precisely because I don't feel the need to hold out for sales and eventually lose interest.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
As a non Nintendo video game player even I knew their games retain their price. It's been a thing for as long as I've not been playing Nintendo games which is a long time. If I was Nintendo and had customers who will buy my games at full price for a long time I would not drop the price either. It's not anti-consumer its business. You decide how to spend your money. Nintendo decides how to price their games. Yeah, it's not like the market for others but it's been that way for ages with Nintendo. The others wish they could do that I guarantee it.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Usually the best you'll get on first party stuff is $20 off unless it's a total dud.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Why does a (good) game getting older make it less valuable? I've never understood this reasoning...

Telpis

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
They never decrease in price hence why I buy day 1 knowing the fact that in 6 months to a year down the line it will still be full price

Lower prices are always welcomed though

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
You can pick up World of FF Maxima for $20 right now, and Mario + Rabbids for the same price. And Mario goes on sale tomorrow - check out the Nintendo page for details

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
It used to be fine before, when you could buy handheld games for 35-40€ at launch. But now that they are all 60€ it's one of the things putting me off of buying a Switch, way too expensive.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
It's Nintendo and people will defend them to the end. That's your answer. Every company has high quality games that maybe you can argue are worth the same price years later, but most games (from all companies) realistically drop in value after a while. Nintendo refuses to believe that and consumers continue to indulge them in that thinking.

Big_Erk

Oct 27, 2017
Chief's Kingdom
Meh, guess I'll keep scouring for used games or see how much I can selling the Switch, I definitely don't want to reward blatantly anti-consumer practices.
that-word.gif

Last edited:

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Breath of the Wild will be worth its full price even in 10 years.
But yeah, I'd probably have played quite a few more games on the Switch if its prices weren't so silly compared to what you can find on PC and other consoles.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
The problem with the Capcom games was that they charged more on Switch than on other platforms, but at this point I have a feeling people know this and choose to willfully ignore it.

The person I quoted was lamenting that people shouldn't be upset with the prices companies charge for games. According to most in this thread prices should be based on selling for the highest price people are willing to pay. So if Capcom thinks there is demand at $30 then why the ire at them and the love for nintendo for charging $60 years after release.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
First of all, Threads where you open them and the OP is banned are such a treat.

Well, I mean, that vault is what allowed them to survive the Wii U disaster. They dipped into plenty of those cash reserves last gen.

Not really though.
They did loose money last gen, but way less than people seem to think.
They had 2 FY with negative income(aka losses) that total up to 751'884'000 $ which is a lot of money no doubt, but not really in the actual context.
These losses didnt even wipe out the profits they made in 2011 alone(935'200'000 $) and they completely made them back with the ones they made in the launch year of switch (915'000'000 $).

And if you look at their actual cash vault, it gets put into even better context.
At the end of 2016, 3 months before the release of Switch(and thus kinda the end of last gen for Nintendo) their cash assets alone numbered 5'941'377'905 $ meaning all the money they lost in the last gen ammounted to about 12% of their cash reserves.
And thats cash reserves alone, their total assets-liabilities(their "Vault") numbered 11'392'954'386 $, so they lost about 6% of their vault in the last gen.

If you're referring to the eShop, Nintendo seems like they have ditched Nintendo Select for Switch.

The Selects line is not dead, its just gonna take time to actually release, as it has with all previous lines.

The first WiiU Selects title was released on March 11 2016, about 3.5 years after the console came out, with the youngest game getting a selects entry being DKCTF, which got its selects title 2 years and a month after release.

The first Wii Select(then called player choice) released may 15 2011, a whopping 4.5 years after the console came out, with the youngest game getting a select being AC City folk, which got its select title 2.5 years after release.

The first 3DS select title was released on October 16 2015,also about 4.5 years after the handheld released, with the youngest game to get a select being Yoshis New Island a mere 1.5 years after release.

little side note, but did DS not get a Selects line ?
I cant personally remember one, and Wikipedia does not list any.

Looking at this one could come to several conclusions:

1. Select Titles release about 4 years after the console give or take half a year, which would mean that Switch Selects should realistically not be expected till late 2020/early 2021(maybe something like a BOTW/MK8DX selects release on march 3 2021 for example).

2. There is a trend(though not really, since its so few data points) of getting younger games on the selects line.

3.Handhelds have generally more Selects titles than Home Consoles, so Its likely Switch is going to adopt that at least party and have more of them.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
More studios should not drop prices permanently as often. Ubisoft and Rockstar/Take Two already do that this generation.

If I never had to hear the phrase anti-consumer again, i would live a chaste life.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Consumer expectation that prices will drop regardless of quality based on precedent. AKA, the exact reason Nintendo doesn't drop prices.
If a game drops in price, it's always because:

1) people have stopped buying it in favor of other games and the publisher wants to prop up its sales
2) it didn't sell that well in the first place and retailers want to move inventory

There is no pro-consumer reason why games fall in price.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If you wanna buy Nintendo games cheaply don't buy them from Nintendo, it's just that easy.

And even then they are now more open to put their own games on sale than ever before. Just because they don't need to slash off 50% in order to keep selling their game at a steady pace doesn't mean they're suddenly anti-consumer. That's impatience.

Cappa

Oct 25, 2017
Super late to the Switch party, basically just picked one up for Smash Bros around Christmas and figured I'd go check out some of the older exclusives I'd missed.

Imagine my surprise when Zelda BOTW and Bayonetta 2 are both still $60 new everywhere I look. What's the deal with that? Where do people look for cheap Switch games? Is this just Nintendo being anti-consumer because they can?
Im in Spain, orginally for the US, and Switch games are on sale here quite often which is strange since its the opposite with most other platforms. (Games on PS4, XBox, PC etc are cheaper than in the US than in Spain) but when it comes to Switch, in my experience, nope.

I just bought New Super Mario U physical for under $40 and you can get Zelda, Odyssey, and Splatoon 2 for under $45 as well.

Captain Toad is like $30.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
The person I quoted was lamenting that people shouldn't be upset with the prices companies charge for games. According to most in this thread prices should be based on selling for the highest price people are willing to pay. So if Capcom thinks there is demand at $30 then why the ire at them and the love for nintendo for charging $60 years after release.
Because as I and others have explained many many times, it is not the same situation. I'd pay 50€ or more for RE4 nowadays - the problem is that Capcom sells the same game on 2 other current-gen systems for a lower price than on Switch, for absolutely no reason. If it were 30€ or more on every platform people wouldn't have complained as much.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
The games have great resell value - I can buy pretty much any first party Nintendo game knowing that once I finish it or if I don't like - I'll be able to sell it again for minimal loss.

Games holding on to their value isn't anti consumer at all - quite the opposite.
How many of your first party switch games have you sold though?

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would love to play more games on my switch but it's tough to justify dropping $60 on a switch game when I can purchase 2-3+ excellent Playstation games for the same price

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why does a (good) game getting older make it less valuable? I've never understood this reasoning...
yep. there's actually no reason for it. it's just that most publishers have conditioned the consumer that there'll be a much cheaper way to buy their games if they wait 1 few months to a year, so they wait, so people stop buying the games at full price shortly after launch, so then they have to drop the price. it's a cycle, and nintendo just doesn't participate in it.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
If a game drops in price, it's always because:

1) people have stopped buying it in favor of other games and the publisher wants to prop up its sales
2) it didn't sell that well in the first place and retailers want to move inventory

There is no pro-consumer reason why games fall in price.

Literally this

How is this hard to understand? Nintendo doesn't have this problem with series like Mario, Zelda, Kart, Smash, and Pokemon so they don't do it, simple as that.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
LOL how are you 28 and no nothing about Nintendo products ("do their games have a ton of DLC and microtransaction, IDK")...and you make this thread hours AFTER Nintendo announces an aggressive sale for all its Mario titles? Nintendo is also offering roughly $30 in eshop credit on new Switch purchases. Finally, we just passed the holiday season, where all retailers have had deep sales on these games.

So yeah...maybe one of the worst series of posts of all time. And, this magical $40 price point is no more or less anti-consumer than $60...because who said $40 is fair? Why not $30? Hey Celeste costs $20 and is GOTY material so anything more than that is anti-consumer? You can't just pick a random price and say anything about that is anti-consumer, with no context.

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
How long would it take Mario kart 8 deluxe to be 20 dollars new? Probably in the next 12 years I suppose.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
mario odyssey is literally on a decent sale now

but in general there are sales but they're not nearly as frequent or as generous as PSN or steam sales

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Apple is the Nintendo of PCs and smartphones.

Nintendo is the Nike of gaming.

That's my roundabout answer to this frivolous question. You aren't going to convince people at Nintendo, Apple or Nike to change their premium pricing strategy.

If you prefer other business models there are plenty of other options.

You get what you pay for.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with the Capcom games was that they charged more on Switch than on other platforms, but at this point I have a feeling people know this and choose to willfully ignore it.
I haven't bought a single Capcom game on Switch because it's almost all digital release here, their EU publishing branch is a big mess.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I mean, a lot of other games from other companies get tons of price drops.

And now a lot of those companies are relying on microtransactions and loot boxes to make their money as the sale of the game itself is not profitable enough. Funny that Nintendo has been a lot more resistant to stuff like that.

As a consumer I prefer Nintendo's approach. I like games designed for fun rather than to see if they can drag money out of you.