• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How bad is your backlog situation?

• 0-3: not so bad

Votes: 214 13.6%
  • 4-6: middling situation

Votes: 224 14.2%
  • 7-9: it's bad.

Votes: 314 19.9%
  • 10 (or even more): HELP!

Votes: 269 17.1%
  • My backlog cannot be measured with a number. It's infinity and beyond.

Votes: 556 35.3%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I have a bad habit of buying new games, only to then abandon them and go back instead to the games that I've played for a long time but I just can't quit it. Games like Monster Hunter World (this is especially bad), or the Division, or Diablo 3.

What's worse, I usually buy games that require extensive time investment, such as Red Dead Redemption 2 (only reached the beginning of chapter 2, haven't touched it since), Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition (only played for about 30 minutes), God of War (only around 5 hours, give or take, and then stopped), or various RPGs like Divinity Original Sin or stuff like Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition (haven't played any of the DLCs yet) or Assassin's Creed Odyssey (just played for about uhh, half an hour?)

Despite that, I, just, keep, buying, new, stuff :(

So, how bad is your backlog situation?

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I got like 7 RPG's that I need to play and KH3 comes out soon so im fucked. I don't know why but my family loves getting my RPG's for Christmas.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
There are at least a dozen games in my backlog, and those are just titles that I want to play.

I'm fucked.

violent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My backlog is so large that I have considered selling it all and starting all over a little more wisely.

I am motivated however to chip away at it. I'm currently in the hedge maze in Resident Evil 4.

Hooks

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: On my games to play list on steam I have 49 installed and 2 completed.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
My console backlog alone is:

God of War - about 4 hours in
Horizon - Haven't started
Assassins Creed: Odyssey - haven't started
Octopath Traveler - 50 hours in. Wrapping up chapter 3
Dragon Quest 11 - Maybe halfway done?

I just bought Tales of Vesperia on Friday and Kingdom Hearts III is arriving soon...

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If I was smart, I wouldn't buy a single game for the next five years. But I'm not smart, I'm an idiot

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
7-8. Kinda bad, but since having a kid it made me not care. I just play whatever I want and if I get around to my backlog I get around to it and if not then oh well

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
About a 5. Been doing surprisingly well recently when it comes to knocking out older titles. Just about finished with every 2018 release I bought (PQ2 is taking me a billion years though, and then I have DQB2 after...).

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Pretty bad. I have 72 games installed on Steam (out of almost 1500 owned) and those are the ones I want to get around to soon (about a dozen are fighting games and about 8 are other games are other various GaaS games, so let's say 50 installed in the backlog). That's just on PC. Got about half a dozen each on PS4 and Switch I want to finish.

Those are just the ones I plan to play soon-ish, to say nothing of the thousands of other games I own and have not beaten

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless you're constantly playing all year it's impossible not to have a backlog, especially when games can be 30+ hrs

Oct 25, 2017
Just stop buying games or decide not to play some games you purchased haphazardly, it's not that hard.
I have maybe 2? But I might never get to them.
Had to stop myself from buying more late last year

twisted heart

Oct 25, 2017
0 OP I am currently playing the only game I haven't beat yet I'll be done with it in time for KH3 I always finish a game before buying and moving on to the next one.

kariyanine

Dec 10, 2018
United States
It's never ending and always increasing. And even when I make a slight dent and clear off one or two of the older ones, there are three new ones waiting to take their place. I've gotten to a point where I just have had to stop worrying about it.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
200.gif

It's pretty sizable.

wtd2009

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Welp, I am about to finish my second to last game on my ps3 backlog. Took me 4.5 years and it's oretty much the only console I played. Managed to finish before the ps5 gen started so I call that a win.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I think my backlog catalog encompassing PS3, 360, PS4, XB1 and PC is somewhere between 30 and 50 games. I voted infinity and beyond because in the context of time available to me (currently not employed due to injury which has helped somewhat) and the amount of time I devote to each game that are of exploratory nature (like 150+ hours devoted to Persona 5, 45+ hours now put in Horizon Zero dawn and I am only at about 48% done), it might as well be nigh impossible to be done with them in the next 10 to 15 years.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone's backlog is big these days. And when I mean everyone, I mean everyone. Free games are passed out left and right. I don't understand the obsession of "finishing my backlog"? That's legit unhealthy in today's free and/or sale environment.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I bought three games during Steam holiday sale and have finished two of them. Then I was gifted three additional game and have not touched them. These are in addition to Original Sin 2 which I've been playing since September, and Rakuen which I bought last year but still haven't gotten the nerve to play.

Six games in total, but only one of them is long, so not so bad, relatively? I'd probably be able to finish them all this year, including Rakuen hopefully.

Last edited:

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
0. I have like 2 or 3 games but I'm not really that interested in them. None of my friends play them either so I don't have to be worried about being spoiled if I take forever to get to them

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
I don't even count my Steam library as part of my backlog anymore, I think there are games that I bought during the first steam sale that Ive never installed. Between new releases on xbox/ps4/switch/pc there's no way I will ever have time to work through it.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
10, without question. A mix of Humble Bundles and poor impulse control have put my backlog somewhere in the triple-digit range.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
It's pretty dire for my pc collection but I've made some headway lately. Beat The Evil Within 2, Beat Shadow of the Tombraider. Now I'm working through Assassins Creed Origins, and simultaneously trying to work on Metro 2033 and then jumping to last light once that's done so maybe I can play Exodus. Steam sales are a bad bad habit.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I'ts bad

Games on top of games on top of game pass

It's really dumb for me to buy any more

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Like maybe a 1? There are several games I haven't completed but at the same time it's like, I've gotten my fill of them.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
10. over 40 games, including some super long RPG's. but also some short indie games. ive learned to not worry about it. when im not playing a newly released game ill play backlog games. this was i always have something new to play

Deleted member 17630

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the middle. It's probably actually worse than I think, I've just written off playing those games so I'm not counting them. I think right now I've got like 3 Xbox, 2 Switch, and maybe 2 3DS games that I actually wanna play.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
0 because I have no backlog. I buy games, I play the games I want , and don't really worry about not playing the ones I didn't play that much.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its a 10, especially now that I have Game Pass

I have 5 Switch games I've never touched, 20 games installed on my Xbox One and like 15 on my PS4

There is just way too many good games now days to keep up

Natels

Oct 26, 2017
0. Finished RDR2 and Yakuza Kiwami and now I'm probably picking up Hollow Knight until Devil May Cry or Trials Rising come out. Until then I'll just play Rocket League.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
0 or 1?

Among the stuff I actually really want to play there is very little that I haven't finished.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I have an absolutely absurd amount of games in my backlog. Like, to the point where I would literally never clear it unless I just quit my job and played games 8 hours a day for the next decade or so, lol. (And these days I probably couldn't even game that much in one day if I tried; I'm not an invincible teen anymore.)

My problem is that I always want to be playing the hot new releases like everyone else is. So I keep buying games, even though there are so many I own that I've yet to play. Amazon also really contributed to this problem back when new games were all 20% off with Prime.

But it is good to hear I'm not nearly the only one on Era with this problem, haha.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Never ever going to play everything I own. I've just given up.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Backlog's are only bad when they're empty. Because then you have nothing cool to play.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I have been unable to play any videogames for around a year due to a really bad wrist/hand injury, but that didn't stop me from buying every game i found appealing, now that i can finally play again my backlog is at a solid 11, i almost lost the hand and there was a good chance i'd never be able to play again so it feels damn good to be able to play again.